Author Topic: Painful argument with a Christian  (Read 3283 times)

Offline Add Homonym

• Fellow
  • Darwins +206/-4
  • I did haz jeezusburger™
Re: Painful argument with a Christian
« Reply #87 on: October 13, 2011, 07:59:25 PM »
the same literal God as religious people do. Their 'God' is conveniently packaged to cater to their needs and wants.

Literal God wants to be feared, and demands that adherents' firstborn be redeemed. Literal God makes wagers with Satan to wreck people's lives.

Actual God gives retarded and deformed children to Christian parents. Actual God sends earthquakes to nuclear reactors, and tsumanis to Indians. Actual God gave us syphilis and herpes, to wreck sex. Actual God couldn't give a shit if our star exploded.
I strive for clarity, but aim for confusion.

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +169/-6
  • You're wearing the juice, aren't you?"
« Reply #88 on: October 14, 2011, 09:00:39 AM »
Hi curiousgirl:), ty for your response. I'm not an atheist but I don't believe in the same literal God as religious people do. Their 'God' is conveniently packaged to cater to their needs and wants.

so, describe how your god isn't "literal" and how your god differs from every other theists' god.  Do you consider yourself a Deist? Pantheist? 
"There is no use in arguing with a man who can multiply anything by the square root of minus 1" - Pirates of Venus, ERB

http://clubschadenfreude.wordpress.com/

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +622/-23
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #89 on: October 14, 2011, 10:35:09 AM »
he's just metaphorically religious.
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Offline gonegolfing

• Reader
  • Darwins +23/-2
  • God ?...Don't even get me started !
« Reply #90 on: October 14, 2011, 10:45:37 AM »
Hi curiousgirl:), ty for your response. I'm not an atheist but I don't believe in the same literal God as religious people do. Their 'God' is conveniently packaged to cater to their needs and wants.[/b]

Yup, just like yours  ;)

Give us time, and you'll more than likely have your back up as well when we confront you about your particular version of a god.  ;D

Actually, choosing a god is like having to choose a paint colour:-- to many god damned choices !! :o

So which colour did you choose mate ?

Cheers
"I believe that there is no God. I'm beyond atheism"....Penn Jillette.

Offline kaziglu bey

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +121/-1
  • There is no Big Brother in the sky.
« Reply #91 on: October 14, 2011, 03:45:00 PM »
I have not even heard back from my friend since my last response to her. I do not know what this means at this point, but I think I might have bruised her ego. It's so hard to actually have a debate with my Christian friends without offending them. Personally I am not offended at all, I really don't care what someone says about their faith or my lack thereof. I think some of the most devoted Christians "find God" at a very desperate time in their life, it fills some void in their existence, they latch on, and cling for life, scared of letting go. thinking that if they do, God will hurl them back into their most desperate nightmare. It's really kind of pitiful. It's also how you get things like the Manson Family, Waco, the Heaven's Gate cult, and Warren Jeffs. Desperate people, looking for hope and attention, protection and purpose, deceived by false promises of eternal life and a benevolent God, easily molded into spiritual slaves, zombies of the Horde of Christ, taught to practice self deception as a means of escaping reality and gaining eternal bliss. Easily molded, easily controlled. Religion is just mind control.
Seriously though... What would happen if the Great Green Arkleseizure didn't fram up the rammastam before the hermite curve achieved maximum nurdfurdle velocity? Now THAT would be something. AmIrite?

Offline Truth OT

• Reader
  • Darwins +88/-7
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #92 on: October 14, 2011, 05:04:25 PM »
It's so hard to actually have a debate with my Christian friends without offending them. Personally I am not offended at all, I really don't care what someone says about their faith or my lack thereof. I think some of the most devoted Christians "find God" at a very desperate time in their life, it fills some void in their existence, they latch on, and cling for life, scared of letting go. thinking that if they do, God will hurl them back into their most desperate nightmare. It's really kind of pitiful. It's also how you get things like the Manson Family, Waco, the Heaven's Gate cult, and Warren Jeffs. Desperate people, looking for hope and attention, protection and purpose, deceived by false promises of eternal life and a benevolent God, easily molded into spiritual slaves, zombies of the Horde of Christ, taught to practice self deception as a means of escaping reality and gaining eternal bliss. Easily molded, easily controlled. Religion is just mind control.

Kind of a rough charactorization IMO. I think it's more likely that most religious folks have similarities to those born into poverty or an "at risk" situation. Most are born into a religious affiliation and culture that they grow up a part of, so it becomes a part of them, and once they have grown up, it's typically stays with them because that culture helped to mold them into the person they are as an adult.
It becomes a cycle that is taught to break as it is entrenched into families for generations and it is in many ways a way of life. That level of engulfment is very difficult to rid oneself of and often requires a long process of battling to get loosed from.

Offline curiousgirl

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +22/-0
  • Inquisitive agnostic atheist
« Reply #93 on: October 14, 2011, 07:11:26 PM »
Hi curiousgirl:), ty for your response. I'm not an atheist but I don't believe in the same literal God as religious people do. Their 'God' is conveniently packaged to cater to their needs and wants.

Well, if you "don't believe in the same literal God as religious people do," what God do you believe in, and how is he/she/it not "conveniently packaged to cater" to your needs and wants?
"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence."-Carl Sagan

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +622/-23
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #94 on: October 14, 2011, 11:23:56 PM »
It's so hard to actually have a debate with my Christian friends without offending them.

Word.  They are delicate flowers.

Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

Offline Add Homonym

• Fellow
  • Darwins +206/-4
  • I did haz jeezusburger™
« Reply #95 on: October 14, 2011, 11:45:31 PM »
I have not even heard back from my friend since my last response to her.

Job well done.
I strive for clarity, but aim for confusion.

Offline kaziglu bey

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +121/-1
  • There is no Big Brother in the sky.
« Reply #96 on: October 15, 2011, 09:10:54 AM »

Kind of a rough charactorization IMO. I think it's more likely that most religious folks have similarities to those born into poverty or an "at risk" situation. Most are born into a religious affiliation and culture that they grow up a part of, so it becomes a part of them, and once they have grown up, it's typically stays with them because that culture helped to mold them into the person they are as an adult.
It becomes a cycle that is taught to break as it is entrenched into families for generations and it is in many ways a way of life. That level of engulfment is very difficult to rid oneself of and often requires a long process of battling to get loosed from.

Fair enough, I can see your point. I suppose i was a little aggressive in my evaluation. I guess my point is really that, at least as far as the people I know are concerned, the ones who seem to be the most deeply sucked in and delusional are the ones who have some sort of major trauma in their lives, and also had some sort of "Revelation" of God at that time that cemented their faith. (Again, this is just in my experience.) I am in no way faulting these folks for finding the power to overcome the tragic moments in their life, but I think its a shame for them to attribute their renewed strength and hope to god instead of themselves, and I think its also a shame that there are those who do take advantage of people in such situations, leading them into a lifelong state of denial, instead of helping them heal in a reality based way.
Seriously though... What would happen if the Great Green Arkleseizure didn't fram up the rammastam before the hermite curve achieved maximum nurdfurdle velocity? Now THAT would be something. AmIrite?

Online kcrady

• Reader
  • Darwins +369/-1
  • Your Friendly Neighborhood Cephalopod Overlord
    • My blog
« Reply #97 on: October 15, 2011, 04:01:03 PM »
he's just metaphorically religious.

For some reason, as I read this, I heard it in the sing-song tones of the end of a Lucky Charms commercial.  "He's me-ta-phor-ic-ly religious!" :D
"The question of whether atheists are, you know, right, typically gets sidestepped in favor of what is apparently the much more compelling question of whether atheists are jerks."

--Greta Christina

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +169/-6
  • You're wearing the juice, aren't you?"
« Reply #98 on: October 19, 2011, 04:00:51 PM »
Fair enough, I can see your point. I suppose i was a little aggressive in my evaluation. I guess my point is really that, at least as far as the people I know are concerned, the ones who seem to be the most deeply sucked in and delusional are the ones who have some sort of major trauma in their lives, and also had some sort of "Revelation" of God at that time that cemented their faith. (Again, this is just in my experience.) I am in no way faulting these folks for finding the power to overcome the tragic moments in their life, but I think its a shame for them to attribute their renewed strength and hope to god instead of themselves, and I think its also a shame that there are those who do take advantage of people in such situations, leading them into a lifelong state of denial, instead of helping them heal in a reality based way.
Not surprisingly, I don’t find your characterization “aggressive” at all, KB.  The people that most of us are around aren’t the desperate or the poor.  They are middle class people who have nothing to really be afraid of.  They use modern science to get what they want, and this imaginary god does nothing.  But they return to it like a dog to vomit. 
You can show them they are wrong but as you have noted, they are quickly offended as soon as you dare disagree with them, especially when they have no answers.  Their self-worth is so wrapped up in these myths that it is truly, truly sad that adults are so infantilized.  It is indeed a part of them, to the point that there is *no* time you can’t tell them you are an atheist and they are wrong and not have them be in a tizzy.   This goes back to the one thread where I’ve asked “when” it’s okay to discuss this with a believer.   
"There is no use in arguing with a man who can multiply anything by the square root of minus 1" - Pirates of Venus, ERB

http://clubschadenfreude.wordpress.com/

Offline DTE

• Student
  • Darwins +3/-3
« Reply #99 on: October 22, 2011, 06:53:03 PM »
  nt
« Last Edit: October 22, 2011, 07:05:15 PM by DTE »
Deconversion=Intelligence + Consideration + Courage

If you wish to contact me, it's best to do so via the email in my profile.

Offline Ambassador Pony

• You keep what you kill.
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +71/-4
  • illuminatus
« Reply #100 on: October 22, 2011, 07:28:59 PM »
The prophecies were true!

DTE has returned.

You believe evolution and there is no evidence for that. Where is the fossil record of a half man half ape. I've only ever heard about it in reading.

Online kcrady

• Reader
  • Darwins +369/-1
  • Your Friendly Neighborhood Cephalopod Overlord
    • My blog
« Reply #101 on: October 23, 2011, 12:36:14 AM »
Ha!  Awesome!  As I was scrolling down I saw the Deconversion Formulatm and thought, 'Hey, that's DTE's formula.'  Then I looked, and lo, the poster using it was none other than DTE himself!  Welcome back, DTE!  I thought a couple of those Mayan hieroglyphs in the Long Count Prophecy O' Doom (or is it Sudden Global Enlightenment, the New Agers can't seem to get that straight) looked like you. ;)
"The question of whether atheists are, you know, right, typically gets sidestepped in favor of what is apparently the much more compelling question of whether atheists are jerks."

--Greta Christina

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +622/-23
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #102 on: October 23, 2011, 08:49:05 AM »
kewl
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

Offline Gnu Ordure

• Fellow
  • Darwins +109/-9
« Reply #103 on: October 23, 2011, 10:11:51 AM »
Hey DTE, welcome back.

Gnu.

PS You may remember me from the little episode on RationalWiki earlier this year, when I tried to delete your real name from the article on SPAG and substitute 'DTE' for it? Sooo embarrassing - I'd be grateful if you wouldn't mention it. Thanks.