Author Topic: way out of religion class?  (Read 832 times)

Offline Moirae

• Student
  • Darwins +0/-0
way out of religion class?
« on: October 22, 2011, 02:11:45 AM »
Let me start off by informing you all that somehow I (an atheist) ended up going to a catholic university.  Being that I am attending a catholic university it is required that I take several incredibly boring, time consuming classes on religion.  After a wee bit of research I believe I may have found a loop hole out of these classes.  Please let me know if they seem reasonable.
            In Mark 16-16 God says "He who believes and is baptized will be saved; but he who does not believe will be condemned." After looking into this according to the bible those who know the teachings of the gospels but willingly refuse to believe them are condemned.  So this is my question to my school.  If I have yet to truly understand the gospels but am 100% sure I will refuse to believe them, is it fair that they force me to take these classes?  It seems that by doing so they are ultimately condemning me to Hell.  Doesn't seem very kind of them if you ask me.

Offline One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +604/-62
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
Re: way out of religion class?
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2011, 02:37:33 AM »
I wouldn't advise you to admit you're an atheist, unless you want to be expelled, or worse
My names are many, yet I am One.
-Orion, son of Fire and Light, Sol Invictus.

Religions need books because they don't have gods.

Discord: https://discord.gg/Hhz7Ff2

Offline lone77star

• Freshman
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2011, 04:13:48 AM »
...somehow I (an atheist) ended up going to a catholic university.  Being that I am attending a catholic university it is required that I take several incredibly boring, time consuming classes on religion.

I feel for you! Being a Christian, I would not like to be shackled with Catholic teachings and dogma (my apologies to my Catholic wife).

First of all, why would you commit yourself to a Catholic university? It's their rules. You follow them, or you're outta there! Duh!

If I have yet to truly understand the gospels but am 100% sure I will refuse to believe them, is it fair that they force me to take these classes?

Yes! Again, you chose the school. Tough it out or switch universities.

It seems that by doing so they are ultimately condemning me to Hell.  Doesn't seem very kind of them if you ask me.

Okay, this is a common misconception. They are not condemning you to anything, except the religion classes you find so boring. (Could that be a form of hell?)  :P

But seriously, hell is something to which you condemn yourself by your own decisions and actions. Analogy time: Consider the suicide perpetrator. They step off of the roof of a very tall building and go splat on the pavement. They were condemned to death. One could say that God condemned them. Yes, it's true, in a sense. God created the laws of physical reality -- gravity, electron field repulsion (and the resulting apparent solidity of matter), nuclear binding forces, electromagnetism, etc. So, when the suicide perp collided with the pavement, it was as a result of God's creation. But it was also as a result of the individual's decision to jump. That's the nature of hell.

And hell is a spiritual state, not a physical one. If you think that Homo sapiens body of yours is all there is to you, then good luck! You'll need it when you're without that consciousness crutch -- naked to the universe without your body. But hey! It's your decision.

In the meantime, you might actually learn something if you looked at the classes with the idea that there might actually be some value therein.

I gained value from all of my classes in college -- calculus, data structures in C-language, the art of debate in Speech 104, and even Opera as Literature (I was so shocked, I took the class twice; and learned something new the second time through).

Value can be found only if you don't build walls against it. Do the planet a favor and stop resisting learning from other people not like you. Heck, it might make a better atheist out of you.

Offline Samuelxcs

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +6/-18
  • The oldest and strongest emotion of humans is fear
    • Fallen Angels
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2011, 04:26:23 AM »
Getting expelled from a religions class can't be a bad thing if you are an atheist, save a lot of time instead of staying there longer.
"The stupid neither forgive nor forget; the naïve forgive and forget; the wise forgive but do not forget."
-Thomas Szasz

Offline One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +604/-62
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2011, 04:29:14 AM »
Getting expelled from a religions class can't be a bad thing if you are an atheist, save a lot of time instead of staying there longer.

Considering how atheists are treated in the USA, it's not getting expelled that's bad, it's people finding out you're an atheist

Offline violatedsmurf80

• Graduate
  • Darwins +2/-0
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2011, 12:39:22 PM »
I am a atheist, and I choose a christian college for my second degree, but I guess they are ok with it because they sure know that I am whenever I ask question about the bible. I took the required bible classes and learn a lot about how they came up with the stories, there laws and many other things, that if you really pay attention you will notice the themes of the culture and how the laws go with what ever rulers are in charge of them.   
When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross.”--- Sinclair Lewis

I believe there is something out there watching over us. Unfortunately, it's the government.

Offline Nodak

• Student
  • Darwins +3/-1
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2011, 06:12:48 PM »
I would think that you are not a person of integrity if you accepted the offer of the college and now want to weasle out of your word.  You knew the conditions of acceptance and you accepted the offer. Now man up a bit, for cripe's sake.

Offline pingnak

• Reader
  • Darwins +34/-3
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2011, 06:31:41 PM »
Take the classes in the sense of: 'Know thine enemies'

You're on a spy mission, infiltrating and learning their 'top sekretz'.

Take notes, find the biblical contradictions.  Trip up the teacher with a zinger, every now and then.  Not too often, or you'll become a 'problem child'.

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +366/-9
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2011, 07:01:32 PM »
Just ask the one all important question in class...why does God hate amputees?
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline Moirae

• Student
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2011, 11:05:22 PM »
I suppose I should have mentioned that I am already through 3/4ths of my religion classes.  This idea was more of a "what if" question.  For those who are questioning why I would have gone to a Cathlic University in the first place, the pros outweighed the cons.

Offline One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +604/-62
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2011, 02:18:03 AM »
The pros being what, exactly?

Offline pingnak

• Reader
  • Darwins +34/-3
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2011, 01:47:34 PM »
I would imagine a less expensive education, overall.

And if you've already gone through 3/4 of the stuff, you may as well finish what you started.  Don't waste food, even if it's a shit sandwich.

Offline hickdive

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +35/-0
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2011, 02:14:39 PM »
Turn up at classes, sit at the back and get on with reviewing notes/studying/reading for more important stuff.

You might get caught but, if asked, be honest and say you're catching up on your major.
Stupidity, unlike intelligence, has no limits.

Offline Graybeard

• Professor
  • Darwins +884/-28
  • Is this going somewhere?
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2011, 03:15:43 PM »
Let me start off by informing you all that somehow I (an atheist) ended up going to a catholic university.  Being that I am attending a catholic university it is required that I take several incredibly boring, time consuming classes on religion. 
Which country are you in?
Nobody says “There are many things that we thought were natural processes, but now know that a god did them.”