Author Topic: Logical Truth  (Read 521 times)

Offline Babdah

• Graduate
  • Darwins +4/-3
  • “We live in an age disturbed, confused, bewildered
Logical Truth
« on: October 08, 2011, 06:31:55 PM »
the statement “Science is the only way to really know truth.” How could you prove that statement by science? dumb question or not?
“We live in an age disturbed, confused, bewildered, afraid of its own forces, in search not merely of its road but even of its direction

Offline ungod

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +15/-9
  • WWGHA Member
Re: Logical Truth
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2011, 07:05:45 PM »
the statement “Science is the only way to really know truth.” How could you prove that statement by science? dumb question or not?
What other method(s) did you have in mind? How about examining their track record!
Reason is a whore, the greatest enemy that faith has.
Faith must trample under foot all reason, sense, and understanding. - Martin Luther

"What good fortune for those in power that people do not think." - Hitler

Offline Willie

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +72/-1
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2011, 08:18:34 PM »
Key word there is "only". Of course science not the only way. To simply observe something, such as that the sun always sets in the west, does not rise to the definition of "science", but it's a perfectly fine way to know many kinds of things. But for acquiring less obvious knowledge, such as that the sun setting in the west is an artifact of the way it rotates around its axis while it orbits the sun in accordance with the natural laws discovered by Kepler, Newton, and Einstein, science has been far more successful than other methods. Especially the more "woo-ish" ones, such as fortune telling techniques, believing in internal "spiritual experiences", or believing in religious "revelation".

Offline ungod

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +15/-9
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2011, 11:28:29 AM »
No doubt the OP is trying to advance the usual "religion is truth" fallacy, and, like the creationists who have nothing to offer in support of their inanity, and can only "attack" evolution, he has to cast doubt on science, having nothing to offer in support of the "truth" of the superstitious alternatives.
In light of any failure to follow up, we'll dismiss it as the usual drive by posting.

;)
Reason is a whore, the greatest enemy that faith has.
Faith must trample under foot all reason, sense, and understanding. - Martin Luther

"What good fortune for those in power that people do not think." - Hitler

Offline jetson

• Administrator
  • Darwins +170/-6
  • Meet George Jetson!
    • Jet Blog
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2011, 11:32:32 AM »

Science is the current best way to discover how a thing works.  If one makes the statement that it is the only way, then they are being a bit dishonest.  Thee is no need to prove the statement that you supplied, because it is pointless.

Offline Babdah

• Graduate
  • Darwins +4/-3
  • “We live in an age disturbed, confused, bewildered
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2011, 05:53:14 PM »
No doubt the OP is trying to advance the usual "religion is truth" fallacy, and, like the creationists who have nothing to offer in support of their inanity, and can only "attack" evolution, he has to cast doubt on science, having nothing to offer in support of the "truth" of the superstitious alternatives.
In light of any failure to follow up, we'll dismiss it as the usual drive by posting.

;)

By no means was i i read this question on the internet and thought i would ask if a logical truth could be proven with science
“We live in an age disturbed, confused, bewildered, afraid of its own forces, in search not merely of its road but even of its direction

Offline jaimehlers

• Fellow
  • Darwins +559/-17
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2011, 11:52:23 AM »
A "drive-by posting" by someone who has twice the number of posts you do here.  And I think it'd be best if you gave someone more than a handful of hours before you assumed that they were not going to follow up on their post.

In answer to Babdah, I don't think science can know truth in the way you suggest, because science is a method for progressive elimination of error.  So it can determine what is not true beyond a reasonable doubt.

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +169/-6
  • You're wearing the juice, aren't you?"
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2011, 11:56:21 AM »
define "truth" as you are intending it, babdah. 
"There is no use in arguing with a man who can multiply anything by the square root of minus 1" - Pirates of Venus, ERB

http://clubschadenfreude.wordpress.com/

Offline Eaten by Bears

• Student
  • Darwins +6/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2011, 03:08:31 PM »
I would prefer 'Science is the best tool we have for understanding reality.'

'Truth' is such a fuzzy word, like 'faith'.

Offline Historicity

• Reader
  • Darwins +80/-2
  • (Rama, avatar of Vishnu)
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2011, 06:11:28 AM »
AJ Ayer in Language, Truth and Logic had his answer to the question often posed to confound college students, "What is truth?"

If something does not exist it is not true.  If an action or connection between things is shown not to exist it is false.

So "truth" is a synonym, really a part of speech for "is".  It's a verbal noun for the verb.

Consider "What does thought think?".  It has the form of a grammatical question but it is nonsense.  The self reference in the sentence makes it paradoxical.  "What is truth?" is the same.

Offline plethora

• Fellow
  • Darwins +60/-1
  • Metalhead, Family Man, IT Admin & Anti-Theist \m/
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2011, 08:20:52 AM »
The scientific method is the most accurate and definitive method for describing, testing, understanding and determining reality.
The truth doesn't give a shit about our feelings.

Offline gonegolfing

• Reader
  • Darwins +23/-2
  • God ?...Don't even get me started !
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2011, 09:11:36 AM »

To know the truth about what ?

OD:---Science:..the intellectual and practical activity encompassing the systematic study of the structure and behaviour of the physical and natural world through observation and experiment.

If you're meaning truth about the natural world and universe, then I would say yes it is the only logical way and method to know the truth about our reality.

Truth is that which is in agreement with, or in line with, facts and reality. Are you thinking of another better procedure than the scientific method to arrive at the truths of our reality ?

As far as proof for that statement ? Well, again, the proof of the pudding is in the eating, and so I simply have to point to that fact and therefore have nothing to prove. It proves itself worthy of that statement.

So then, can you name another, or better, known method of arrival at the truth about our universe and its contents ?
"I believe that there is no God. I'm beyond atheism"....Penn Jillette.