Author Topic: halloween  (Read 2131 times)

Offline Mr. Blackwell

• Fellow
  • Darwins +76/-23
Re: halloween
« Reply #29 on: October 13, 2011, 10:20:41 AM »
You should think about selling your kids.  Or at least renting them out.  I hear pharma companies are looking for kids to do drug studies on.  They could become an asset instead of a financial black hole.

Don't think I haven't thought about it! Also talked about getting a divorce so we could get some of that sweet sweet federal assistance. Mmmmmm...free money  ;)
"People want to get whatever they want to get. Do I care? No, I don't care. People need certain things" - Senator Leland Yee (D) California

Offline Paperbackslave

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +1/-0
  • Earth is awesome - enjoy it while you can
« Reply #30 on: October 13, 2011, 10:46:01 AM »
Yay Halloween!

Christmas sucks, Thanksgiving is ok for the food, but Halloween is the one time of year I get to dress up!  I mean really, you get drinks and chow with the others but what other time can a 40-something wear pigtails and fishnet stockings .... and go into a convenience store for beer, and nobody cares?

Shall I be a skanky ho this year?  Or perhaps a buxom Alpine beer wench?  In any case, I am sure I will show wayy too much skin, and drink way too much - and its OK!  Because its Halloween!
Atheists are spectators in a grand battle of stupid ideas.  Sadly, these ideas get people killed in the name of a loving god on both sides of the delusion.

Offline Mr. Blackwell

• Fellow
  • Darwins +76/-23
« Reply #31 on: October 13, 2011, 11:04:05 AM »
Shall I be a skanky ho this year?  Or perhaps a buxom Alpine beer wench?  In any case, I am sure I will show wayy too much skin, and drink way too much - and its OK!  Because its Halloween!

I think some people treat everyday like it's Halloween  ;)
"People want to get whatever they want to get. Do I care? No, I don't care. People need certain things" - Senator Leland Yee (D) California

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +618/-23
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #32 on: October 13, 2011, 07:15:52 PM »
Shall I be a skanky ho this year? 

I predict, yes, whatever your costume.

Too easy.

Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Offline jtp56

• Graduate
  • Darwins +4/-66
  • WWGHA Member
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #33 on: October 13, 2011, 07:19:52 PM »
And, uh......we're arguing with this?????  What is scientific about this thread?  Please enlighten me!
Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God.

Offline Chronos

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +120/-6
  • Born without religion
    • Marking Time
« Reply #34 on: October 13, 2011, 07:49:46 PM »
Heh, our local Lowes started stocking xmas stuff the day after Labor Day.

I noticed that on Saturday. Gotta get ready!!  Let's all put up our Christmas decorations this weekend!
John 14:2 :: In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.

Offline Historicity

• Reader
  • Darwins +80/-2
  • (Rama, avatar of Vishnu)
« Reply #35 on: October 13, 2011, 08:15:56 PM »
Actually Jack Chick got in a good shot in an anti-Halloween tract.  The teacher told every child to come in costume for a Halloween dress-up day and there would be a costume contest.  The evangelical Little Suzie came in a Santa costume to mock the whole procedure without directly defying authority.

Offline Historicity

• Reader
  • Darwins +80/-2
« Reply #36 on: October 13, 2011, 08:18:20 PM »
Christmas sucks, Thanksgiving is ok for the food, but Halloween is the one time of year I get to dress up! 

I have a collection of red and green dress shirts and contrasting red and green neckties for December.

I wear them every other day.

Offline jtp56

• Graduate
  • Darwins +4/-66
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #37 on: October 13, 2011, 08:28:22 PM »
my brother and sister-in-law, don't allow the kids to celebrate Halloween, taking them out of public school when the parties happen.  I suspect this is because of crazy mother-in-law. 

And now, for more on the "war on Halloween"....

yep, Jesus Ween.  They just don't get it, do they?  :o

from Fark.com

Huh???  How do you market atheism?  At least Christians market their beliefs.  And the problem with marketing your beliefs is.........???????

For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God.

Offline jtp56

• Graduate
  • Darwins +4/-66
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #38 on: October 13, 2011, 08:32:48 PM »
my brother and sister-in-law, don't allow the kids to celebrate Halloween, taking them out of public school when the parties happen.  I suspect this is because of crazy mother-in-law. 

And now, for more on the "war on Halloween"....

yep, Jesus Ween.  They just don't get it, do they?  :o

from Fark.com

Huh???  How do you market atheism?  At least Christians market their beliefs.  And the problem with marketing your beliefs is.........???????

Oh.  I forgot.   It's taught in the public school system.  You know, "Science".  Why would anyone disagree with what's taught in the public school system.  Remember....one drop plus one drop is one drop... wow....that clears things up.   Note to you scientists out there:  One drop is not an internationally recognized unit of mearure.

Offline plethora

• Fellow
  • Darwins +60/-1
  • Metalhead, Family Man, IT Admin & Anti-Theist \m/
« Reply #39 on: October 14, 2011, 04:41:30 AM »
And, uh......we're arguing with this?????  What is scientific about this thread?  Please enlighten me!

In short, the religious beliefs of the people behind these adds are irrational, unsupported by evidence and quite frankly ridiculous. We are criticizing their attempts at plugging their imaginary friend (i.e. Jesus) into it.

Huh???  How do you market atheism?  At least Christians market their beliefs. 

Easy. Here's a couple of examples of how you market atheism:
DC Bus Campaign
London Bus Campaign

And the problem with marketing your beliefs is.........???????

They have every right to do so.... but my problem with it is that they do not back up their beliefs with evidence.

By the way ... how about you tone it the fuck down? There's no need for the bitchy attitude, jtp56. That's no way to have a meaningful discussion.

Oh.  I forgot.   It's taught in the public school system.  You know, "Science".

Science is not atheism. Atheism is merely lack of belief in a god, nothing else.

Why would anyone disagree with what's taught in the public school system.

I do... all the time. When unscientific crap is taught in schools I protest. When non-secular practices are carried out (like making the kids pray during assembly) I protest.

Remember....one drop plus one drop is one drop... wow....that clears things up.   Note to you scientists out there:  One drop is not an internationally recognized unit of mearure.

Show me a science text book that says "one drop plus one drop is one drop". Go on ... show me. Show me a text book that says one 'drop' is a standard measurement.

How about you enlighten me instead of acting like an ass with your weak little strawman argument.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2011, 04:44:38 AM by plethora »
The truth doesn't give a shit about our feelings.

Offline Paperbackslave

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +1/-0
  • Earth is awesome - enjoy it while you can
« Reply #40 on: October 14, 2011, 09:42:20 AM »
Shall I be a skanky ho this year? 

I predict, yes, whatever your costume.

Too easy.

Bahh ha - ok, that was pretty easy  ;D  But no!  I shall be Cleopatra! Minions! Where are my lowly minions?!
Atheists are spectators in a grand battle of stupid ideas.  Sadly, these ideas get people killed in the name of a loving god on both sides of the delusion.

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +169/-6
  • You're wearing the juice, aren't you?"
« Reply #41 on: October 14, 2011, 10:37:15 AM »
Oh.  I forgot.   It's taught in the public school system.  You know, "Science".  Why would anyone disagree with what's taught in the public school system.  Remember....one drop plus one drop is one drop... wow....that clears things up.   Note to you scientists out there:  One drop is not an internationally recognized unit of mearure.

Jtp, if you have such a problem with science, then i do suggest that you go live in a mud hut and take your chances with dying from some easily cured disease, you know those ones that science allows us to take care of?  If it's so wrong and so abhorrent, why do you partake?   
"There is no use in arguing with a man who can multiply anything by the square root of minus 1" - Pirates of Venus, ERB

http://clubschadenfreude.wordpress.com/

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +290/-80
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
« Reply #42 on: October 14, 2011, 12:09:06 PM »
Quote from: Jtp56 Reply #38 on: Yesterday at 08:32:48 PM

I really wish I didn't have to wait an hour to minus you again; 'cause though what I minused your previous statement to this was, in itself, idiotic, I think this is worse than that.

You make it seem that atheism is a religion of some kind, and science is its doctrine.  Well, I reckon in some atheist minds that's true; that science is their doctrine; however, that doesn't mean all atheists adhere to science as their doctrine.  Atheism/Atheist just has one definition: the non-belief in a god or gods.  That's it.  Science has nothing to do with that definition.  There's no other definition added that mentions science, the big bang, evolution, or anything else yet you make it seem as it does.

Just like not all Christians are the same, not all Atheists are the same.  I think people have tried to explain this to you before and either you just don't understand, or you aren't listening to anyone and therefore are just spouting off nonsense -- which, if that's what you want to do, that's totally up to you but you'll continue to get minuses, and rarely any pluses.[1]

-Nam
 1. not just in the +/- beneath your avatar but also in life
This is my signature "Nam", don't I have nice typing skills?

Offline Historicity

• Reader
  • Darwins +80/-2
« Reply #43 on: October 14, 2011, 01:16:52 PM »
This is in the Religion and Society section.  It says so at the top.   

Learn to read.

Offline pingnak

« Reply #44 on: October 16, 2011, 05:35:31 PM »
Some of the jesus freaks are a lot creepier than the halloween ghouls.

But isn't it all moot?  It's the end of the world next week, again, after all.

Offline kcrady

• Reader
  • Darwins +369/-1
  • Your Friendly Neighborhood Cephalopod Overlord
    • My blog
« Reply #45 on: October 16, 2011, 08:40:23 PM »

Actually, I think the above (and things like the image pingnak posted) do a rather nice job of marketing atheism.  Or at least serve as a great "Stay away from Christianity unless you want to be a brain-dead asshat and look silly doing it" message.   Best part is, we don't even have to pay for it!  Thanks, Christians!
"The question of whether atheists are, you know, right, typically gets sidestepped in favor of what is apparently the much more compelling question of whether atheists are jerks."

--Greta Christina

Offline kardula

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +2/-0
« Reply #46 on: October 16, 2011, 10:16:20 PM »
one of my pet peeves about living in lubbock...I moved here when I was 15 so most of my halloweens were spent trick or treating in california and hawaii. In those places it was a massive event, the kids all ran around trick or treating and most parents stayed home to pass out candy. Only a hanful of houses in all of the neighborhoods didn't pass out candy...and were usually egged by the teenagers. I used to come home with pillow cases full of candy. When we moved here to lubbock I started taking my younger sisters trick or treating and I recall crying foul at the kids who had their parents driving them around in the their cars. It wasn't until I would pass entire blocks of houses with their lights off and no one out giving candy that I realized that there's a good reason that the parents were driving the kids around. My younger sister stopped going out for candy when she was about 10 because she didn't want to walk a quarter mile between houses giving out candy only to end up with maybe a third of her pillow case full.

I'm glad my parents go all out, they set up a haunted house and throw a huge party (it's my stepdad's bday a few days prior) so it's always fun to hang out with them and they always encourage everyone to pass out candy and whatnot.

Offline kin hell

• Professor
  • Darwins +152/-7
  • - .... . .-. . /.. ... / -. --- / --. --- -.. ...
« Reply #47 on: October 17, 2011, 07:18:55 AM »

Oh.  I forgot.   It's taught in the public school system.  You know, "Science".  Why would anyone disagree with what's taught in the public school system.  Remember....one drop plus one drop is one drop... wow....that clears things up.  Note to you scientists out there:  One drop is not an internationally recognized unit of mearure.

just when you think you've made something idiotproof, along comes a superior idiot

in Oz we call those who display the fundamentally smallest intellectual capacity "dropkicks"    ..........you qualify

Note to you scientists out there:  One drop is not an internationally recognized unit of mearure.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drop_(unit)

The drop is a unit of measure of volume, the amount dispensed as one drop from a dropper. It is often used in giving quantities of liquid drugs to patients, and occasionally in cooking.
The volume of a drop is not well-defined: it depends on the device and technique used to produce the drop and on the physical properties of the fluid.
There are several exact definitions of a "drop":
the "metric" drop, 1/20 mL (50 ?L).
the medical drop, 1/12 mL (83? ?L).
the Imperial drop, 1/36 of a fluidram (1/288 of an Imperial fluid ounce, or 1/1440 of a gill) (approximately 99 ?L).
an alternate, possibly apocryphal, definition of the drop is 1/1824 of a gill (approximately 78 ?L).
the U.S. drop, 1/60 of a US fluidram, 1/80 of a teaspoon or 1/480 of a U.S. fluid ounce (approximately 62 ?L).
an alternate definition of the U.S. drop is 1/96 of a teaspoon or 1/576 US fl oz (approximately 51 ?L).
According to Webster dictionary, "drop" indicates the smallest volume of a liquid that may be measured.[1] Drop size varies according to gravity, the density and the surface tension of the liquid. [2]
In the past, a drop was another name for a minim. This meaning was used in Pharmacy to describe a volume equal to one 60th of a fluid dram or one 480th of a fluid ounce. This is equal to about 61.6 ?L (U.S.) or 59.2 ?L (Britain). Pharmacists have since moved to metric measurements, with a drop being rounded to exactly 0.05 mL (that is, 20 drops per milliliter). In hospitals, intravenous tubing is used to deliver medication in drops of various sizes ranging from 10 drops/mL to 60 drops/mL. A drop is abbreviated gtt, with gtts used for the plural. These abbreviations come from gutta, the Latin for drop.[3]
A drop can also be used less formally as a unit of volume in recipes. According to some older kitchen references, 24 drops = ΒΌ teaspoon. Using U.S. definitions, this makes the drop equal to about 0.051 mL, making it quite comparable to the pharmacist's drop.[3]

....no matter how hard you squeeze that intellect through that self inflicted wringer you call your thunk organ, no matter what internationally recognised unit of measurement you choose with which to read the measure of your wit, why do you only ever register half?

The reason some people are so sadly affected by their brainwashing is they were probably already victimised inheritors of pre-shrunk genes.

And when you hang yourself in public what sound does the drip make?

...................................derp derp derp

« Last Edit: October 17, 2011, 07:33:05 AM by kin hell »
"...but on a lighter note, demons were driven from a pig today in Gloucester."  Bill Bailey

all edits are for spelling or grammar unless specified otherwise

Offline Finntroll

• Freshman
  • Darwins +1/-1
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #48 on: October 17, 2011, 04:09:22 PM »
We Aussies have never done the Halloween thing[1], but the stores are pushing it more and more every year trying to sell black-and-orange crap in the weeks leading up.
 1. Like dress up, carve pumpkins, or trick-n-treat... It's just another day for most of us
Same thing here in Finland. Only lately have the shops started selling Halloween gear.
Instead we have a similar tradition. At Easter time (Long Friday) young girls (only girls) dress as witches, carry willow branches and go door-to-door demanding sweets.

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +169/-6
  • You're wearing the juice, aren't you?"
« Reply #49 on: October 19, 2011, 04:39:48 PM »
Same thing here in Finland. Only lately have the shops started selling Halloween gear.
Instead we have a similar tradition. At Easter time (Long Friday) young girls (only girls) dress as witches, carry willow branches and go door-to-door demanding sweets.

now that's a way to celebrate Easter  :)  Welcome, finntroll! 
"There is no use in arguing with a man who can multiply anything by the square root of minus 1" - Pirates of Venus, ERB

http://clubschadenfreude.wordpress.com/