Author Topic: halloween  (Read 2998 times)

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +169/-6
  • You're wearing the juice, aren't you?"
halloween
« on: October 07, 2011, 02:07:16 PM »
my brother and sister-in-law, don't allow the kids to celebrate Halloween, taking them out of public school when the parties happen.  I suspect this is because of crazy mother-in-law. 

And now, for more on the "war on Halloween"....

yep, Jesus Ween.  They just don't get it, do they?  :o

from Fark.com
"There is no use in arguing with a man who can multiply anything by the square root of minus 1" - Pirates of Venus, ERB

http://clubschadenfreude.wordpress.com/

Offline Aaron123

• Fellow
  • Darwins +80/-1
Re: halloween
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2011, 02:15:18 PM »
JesusWeen?  Is this suppose to celebrate the moment when Mary was finally able to wean off baby Jesus of breastfeeding?   :o

To think, I was planning on celebrating Halloween by watching the classic monster movies...
Being a Christian, I've made my decision. That decision offers no compromise; therefore, I'm closed to anything else.

Offline rev45

• Reader
  • Darwins +37/-2
  • Did your parents raise you to be an idiot?
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2011, 02:27:53 PM »
my brother and sister-in-law, don't allow the kids to celebrate Halloween, taking them out of public school when the parties happen.  I suspect this is because of crazy mother-in-law. 
Back when I was in grade school the teachers would have all the kids in their classes dress up the day before Halloween and we'd walk over to the high school and parade ourselves in front of the high school students.  I always enjoyed doing it and getting to see what other kids were dressing up as.  It all came to an end my 5th grade year because one parent complained that the school was encouraging the worship of Satan by allowing us to dress up and parade around. 

And now, for more on the "war on Halloween"....
Does this have to an all out war?  I'm getting a little tired of all the wars.  War on drugs, war on Christmas, war on Vernal Equinox, etc.  Can we just make this a skirmish?
Here read a book.  It's free.
http://www.literatureproject.com/

Could a being create the fifty billion galaxies, each with two hundred billion stars, then rejoice in the smell of burning goat flesh?   Ron Patterson

Offline RaymondKHessel

• Reader
  • Darwins +73/-3
  • Born with insight, and a raised fist.
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2011, 02:38:51 PM »
Just to illustrate how much American culture has changed in the past 30 years...

I remember being like 6 or 7 years old in '86/'87, and all the kids went to school in their costumes on Halloween... My costume was a full set of army fatigues and an authentic replica M-16A2 water rifle. It actually looked like a real M-16.

Teachers didn't say a thing about it. Not one word.

The times, they are a'changin'.

Oh, and <facepalm> @ "Jesusween".  &)
Born with insight, and a raised fist.

Offline violatedsmurf80

• Graduate
  • Darwins +2/-0
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2011, 02:56:44 PM »
I remember when Halloween was fun and we got to get all sorts of thing and dress up in what ever we wanted.  Is syncretism at play again?

jesus ween? Really does jesus need more PR?
When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross.”--- Sinclair Lewis

I believe there is something out there watching over us. Unfortunately, it's the government.

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +169/-6
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2011, 03:17:23 PM »
back when my parents ran the teen youth group at my church, we had a great haunted house in the basement of the church.  Strobe lights, the classic pass around various disgusting things to stick your hands in whilst in the dark, costumes (I was parading around in a black leotard and kitty accountrements, go fig  ;D)  Scarying the shit out of each other.  Ah, good times. 
"There is no use in arguing with a man who can multiply anything by the square root of minus 1" - Pirates of Venus, ERB

Offline Historicity

• Reader
  • Darwins +80/-2
  • (Rama, avatar of Vishnu)
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2011, 04:07:41 PM »

I am a bit disappointed.  Jack Chick has not put out a new anti-Halloween tract this year.   The 6 at the top are from years back.   

The zombie one is one of his new horror themed tracts but it is not about Halloween.

SPOILER: We are all soulless zombies, the walking dead, because Jesus has not saved us. 

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +192/-8
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2011, 04:11:38 PM »
Religion does not allow one to have any kind of fun.  We must suffer for our sins.

So do you have to dress up like a 3 day old zombie on Jesusween?
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline natlegend

• Reader
  • Darwins +70/-0
  • Polyatheist
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2011, 11:46:20 PM »
We Aussies have never done the Halloween thing[1], but the stores are pushing it more and more every year trying to sell black-and-orange crap in the weeks leading up.
 1. Like dress up, carve pumpkins, or trick-n-treat... It's just another day for most of us
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Offline 12 Monkeys

• Fellow
  • Darwins +107/-11
  • Dii hau dang ijii
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2011, 01:47:49 AM »
Just to illustrate how much American culture has changed in the past 30 years...

I remember being like 6 or 7 years old in '86/'87, and all the kids went to school in their costumes on Halloween... My costume was a full set of army fatigues and an authentic replica M-16A2 water rifle. It actually looked like a real M-16.

FUCKING PC THUGS
There's no right there's no wrong,there's just popular opinion (Brad Pitt as Jeffery Goines in 12 monkeys)

Offline 12 Monkeys

• Fellow
  • Darwins +107/-11
  • Dii hau dang ijii
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2011, 01:49:06 AM »
Religion does not allow one to have any kind of fun.  We must suffer for our sins.

So do you have to dress up like a 3 day old zombie on Jesusween?
Do you think the politicians who proclaim God suffer? NO fucking way
There's no right there's no wrong,there's just popular opinion (Brad Pitt as Jeffery Goines in 12 monkeys)

Offline Brakeman

• Reader
  • Darwins +47/-3
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2011, 04:35:22 PM »
JesusWeen?  Is this suppose to celebrate the moment when Mary was finally able to wean off baby Jesus of breastfeeding?   :o  ...

Oh my! I just bet Jesus was one of those kids that breast fed until he was 13!
Help find the cure for FUNDAMENTIA !

Offline RaymondKHessel

• Reader
  • Darwins +73/-3
  • Born with insight, and a raised fist.
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2011, 12:36:34 AM »

FUCKING PC THUGS

:? Hey... Hey man... I can't tell if you're calling me a computer thug, or something else... I'm hoping you were insinuating school administrators were politically correct schoolyard nazis or something... 

I wasn't trying to demonstrate how hard core I am or anything. I was just relaying a story from when I was little. I was an "army man" for Halloween. It's a popular costume for little boys in the States, or at least it was when I was a kid. Plus I was really into G.I. Joe.

I was just trying to point out, you know, that back in the 80's, elementary school teachers wouldn't bat an eye at a little kid bringing a water gun to school, even if it looked authentic. Whereas today, in 2011, kids get suspended or even EXPELLED for making "guns" out of sticks and rubberbands or molding a blobby gun shape out of clay or play-doh.

No lie - I've even read about a kid getting suspended just for running around during recess using his HAND as a "gun" by sticking out his pointer finger and his thumb and going "Bang!"

With school shootings on the rise for the past two decades, I understand why they maybe wouldn't let a kid into class with a replica M-16 these days, but popsicle sticks and some scotch tape? That shit is absurd.

Anyway, again, please believe I wasn't trying to be an internet tough guy by telling that story, honest. That's so not my M.O. So please don't hate!  :-\
« Last Edit: October 10, 2011, 12:42:45 AM by RaymondKHessel »
Born with insight, and a raised fist.

Offline 12 Monkeys

• Fellow
  • Darwins +107/-11
  • Dii hau dang ijii
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2011, 01:07:16 AM »
School admins..not you

Funny how half or more of the "christian" traditions are stolen from other religions......yet they have a problem for tolerance

Offline kcrady

• Reader
  • Darwins +454/-1
  • Your Friendly Neighborhood Cephalopod Overlord
    • My blog
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2011, 04:18:38 AM »
I bet these "JesusWeen" folks bawl their eyes out every time they see a mall Santa because they're butthurt over the idea of someone else taking over "their" holiday.[1]  But they brazenly, deliberately set out to take over other people's holidays.  Hypocrisy--they haz it.

Also: What's the logo for this, anyway?  I think it ought to be Jesus, robe hiked up and casting a mischievous glance over his shoulder, pissing on a Jack O' Lantern.  What's Jesus doing?  Wee'n.
 1. Though actually, people were celebrating Winter Solstice with things like trees, decorations, mistletoe, gift-giving and the rest for millennia before Christianity came along.
"The question of whether atheists are, you know, right, typically gets sidestepped in favor of what is apparently the much more compelling question of whether atheists are jerks."

--Greta Christina

Offline changeling

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +15/-0
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2011, 05:03:08 AM »
I kept picturing Jesus with his robe hiked up showing Jesus weenie.
The level of dumb they have to sell, is only made remotely possible by the level of flocking their sheep are willing to do in the name of rewards for no thought. quote: Kin Hell

"Faith is the enemy of evidence, for when we know the truth, no faith is required." Graybeard

Offline plethora

• Fellow
  • Darwins +60/-1
  • Metalhead, Family Man, IT Admin & Anti-Theist \m/
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2011, 05:04:57 AM »
We Aussies have never done the Halloween thing[1], but the stores are pushing it more and more every year trying to sell black-and-orange crap in the weeks leading up.
 1. Like dress up, carve pumpkins, or trick-n-treat... It's just another day for most of us

I grew up in the states and I gotta say ... Halloween kicks ass! I loved it... every single time... cutting up the pumpkin, decorating the house, putting on costumes, scary movies, fucking ace!

I still enjoy it, with my daughter. Here in the UK a lot of people look down on Halloween as a dumb corny-ass US holiday. Well, it is ... but it's fun! Have some fun you boring fuckers!

oh and "jesusween" ... FAIL.
The truth doesn't give a shit about our feelings.

Offline catdance62

• Student
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2011, 06:50:54 AM »
I love Halloween (even if I don't dress up anymore)! I love the decorations, the candy, the costumes, all of it! That said, I live in the bible belt of the US, where lots of churches try to detract
from the traditional Halloween merry-making and call it "Harvest Festival" or some other stupid sh*t. It's sickening.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +354/-85
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2011, 09:52:42 AM »
http://jesusween.com/
Every year, the world and its system have a day set aside (October 31st) to celebrate ungodly images and evil characters while Christians all over the world participate, hide or just stay quiet on Halloween day. Being a day that is widely acceptable to solicit and knock on doors, God inspired us to encourage Christians to use this day as an opportunity to spread the gospel. The days of hiding are over and we choose to take a stand for Jesus.

http://jesusween.com/testimonials[1]
 1. fun to read

Do they not understand where Halloween got its roots from?  It has nothing to do at all with "the devil".

-Nam
This thread is about lab-grown dicks, not some mincy, old, British poof of an actor. 

Let's get back on topic, please.

Offline superfly

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +4/-0
  • go ride a bicycle
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2011, 10:19:46 AM »
i lerv me some Halloween.

1. Candy...good
2. Spooky stuff (movies and the like)...good
3. Pissing off jesusists...good

Say what you will about the sweet miracle of unquestioning faith, I consider a capacity for it terrifying and absolutely vile!
Kurt Vonnegut

Offline thunderridge

• Graduate
  • Darwins +16/-0
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2011, 10:39:15 PM »
i lerv me some Halloween.

1. Candy...good
2. Spooky stuff (movies and the like)...good
3. Pissing off jesusists...good

Amen.  Love pissing them off over such silliness.

Offline Mr. Blackwell

• Fellow
  • Darwins +78/-23
« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2011, 11:04:37 PM »
Fuck every holiday that causes my kids to expect me to spend money on a bunch of bullshit.
I show affection for my pets by holding them against me and whispering, "I love you" repeatedly as they struggle to break free.

Offline Chronos

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +131/-7
  • Born without religion
    • Marking Time
« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2011, 06:46:53 AM »

Are your brother and SIL deeply Christian? If not, why do they not have the spine to tell the MIL that she needs to keep her nose out of their business?   I digress on your personal family issue ... I just hate parents without spines in the face of domineering grandparents ... it just gets worse over time.

Somebody should get the domain JesusWeenie.com and then hack JesusWeen to redirect to JesusWeenie showing a modern Christian version of JC with an erection. I have the mind of a hacker/anarchist, just not the resources.

When I was a kid, the school system allowed us to have Halloween parties, mostly in elementary school (early 1970s). By the time I made it to junior high (yes, folks, that's what they used to call "middle school"), there was less of Halloween occurring in the schools and then by the time I was in high school it was an individual thing -- you could get into costume if you wanted to but nothing was organized for it. Some people were sent home for costumes that were too revealing, and a few got into trouble for brining in certain accoutrements, such as a mace. (Yes, boys and girls, weapons are not allowed in schools.)

By the time I had graduated high school, I didn't know of anybody (or just don't recall) who objected to Halloween on religious grounds. In fact, I had never even heard of a religious basis for Halloween to begin with. It was just a day/night to get dressed up in costume, tell ghost stories, scare people, consume candy or adult beverages and ... that is that. While I was growing up, the worst thing to occur were all the terrorist stories on TV about razor blades in apples or candy that had been adulterated by ... adults ... to poison children -- nearly all of which were later debunked as urban legends.

When I and one of my college classmates moved to the town where we now live, I discovered through her, as an elementary school teacher, that they were not allowed to celebrate Halloween in the schools. They couldn't even mention "Halloween" at all. If the teachers were to have a party, it must be referred to as a "Fall Festival" and kids could only dress up as historical figures (giving some educational spin, I suppose), there could be pumpkins but not jack o' laterns, there could be candy but nothing with peanuts[1], colors in displays could include all fall colors but not black ... I could go on. I asked her WHY? She then told me that there are people who have religious objections to Halloween and the school system acquiesced to their demands. She explained how the religious objectors used their theology to argue against and it and I was appalled -- not only for their success in foisting their religion on the school system but also for their abject stupidity in not knowing where Christmas came from. They did a hostile takeover of one religion's holiday but not another?

A couple of years later, the school system entirely abandoned the idea of "Fall Festivals" because the non-fucked-up parents cried foul, and so now the local school system has no official recognition or celebration of Halloween or the generic "fall festivals". My kid did learn about Oktoberfest, which is appropriate since it is not a religious holiday and doesn't include supernatural things (unless you find women with big breasts wearing dimdls and serving bier to be divine). Plus, there is an enormous German ancestry where I live, so it adds to local color and tradition. It's okay by me that they don't do Halloween celebrations in the schools, but very uncool how that came to be.

Partial disclosure ... I am now on a "family life" committee with the local school system as parental input on how the school system shall select materials and present discussions on a host of "family life" issues such as sex education, sexual offenses/assaults, drug use/abuse, HIV and probably a few other things that I cannot recall. I was quite pleased to find that all of the people selected (we had to apply) are not religious nutjobs, which is something that one of the board representatives positioned as "you are enlightened people, which is why you were chosen, but do remember that everyone we serve is not so enlightened and we need your suggestions on how we should deal with them" insofar has how materials are chosen, presented, etc. I was rather impressed by the first meeting. Essentially, I think the school system relocated its spine.

1. Until that time, I hadn't heard of anyone having a peanut allergy, and I could start another thread ranting about people with peanut allergies.
John 14:2 :: In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +169/-6
« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2011, 09:22:32 AM »

Are your brother and SIL deeply Christian? If not, why do they not have the spine to tell the MIL that she needs to keep her nose out of their business?   I digress on your personal family issue ... I just hate parents without spines in the face of domineering grandparents ... it just gets worse over time.
I hate to say it but my brother seems pretty "whipped" and so does my SIL.  Her mother is a horrible person, through and through.  Brother is Christian but it seems only out of habit and that he would probably get grief on the job if he were obviously not (he's a state trooper).  SIL is also Christian but not the nutcase her mother is, happily.   She is in deep denial on how nuts her mother is. 

and absolutely great that you are taking the time to work on that committee. 

Offline Chronos

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +131/-7
  • Born without religion
    • Marking Time
« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2011, 05:32:22 PM »
Brother is Christian but it seems only out of habit and that he would probably get grief on the job if he were obviously not (he's a state trooper).

Yeah, those public protection groups require crosses, prayers and god blesses -- as if they couldn't come up with something more profoundly personal to say about their own experiences. They would rather suppress it -- it's more manly. (I say this coming from a family that had 3 police officers and a volunteer fire fighter -- suppression is the name of the game, and it's not mentally healthy.)

Perhaps he could get relocated to a barracks that is just a bit too far to see grandma all that often ...

and absolutely great that you are taking the time to work on that committee.

Honestly, I was actually shocked to be selected for the committee, and my surprise was not due to my lack of expression of any religious views. I am an outsider. I was not born and raised here. I have attempted to volunteer for a number of things over the years but I was never selected and often I never even got a reply to acknowledge that I had even volunteered to do something. I had given up. But, I saw the request come through the email notices from the school system back in June and I thought, WTH? just apply! I did, heard nothing for 6 weeks and figured I was still an outsider. Suddenly, a letter showed up one day telling me where the first meeting would be held. Normally, you have to have pre-approval by a born-and-raised citizen to even volunteer for things because those of us who moved here to work are carpetbaggers (though nobody ever uses that term, it fits). I guess times are finally changing. Maybe 23 years has been long enough.

John 14:2 :: In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +709/-28
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2011, 08:23:17 PM »
Fuck every holiday that causes my kids to expect me to spend money on a bunch of bullshit.

You should think about selling your kids.  Or at least renting them out.  I hear pharma companies are looking for kids to do drug studies on.  They could become an asset instead of a financial black hole.
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Offline Brakeman

• Reader
  • Darwins +47/-3
« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2011, 08:33:26 PM »
Both of my older daughters have a terminal illness. I can't see them making it to another Halloween.
The youngest one will probably go first, as the Lazyitis disease is over taking her body quickly. It's all she can do to lay on the couch and text her friends on most days. My wife and I estimate she'll be too lazy to breathe within a few months..
Help find the cure for FUNDAMENTIA !

Offline Historicity

• Reader
  • Darwins +80/-2
  • (Rama, avatar of Vishnu)
« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2011, 09:15:32 PM »
I was at the grocery store tonite.  A local dairy already has supplied egg nog with Santa on the bottle.  This is from a dairy and it's made with real milk.  Heckuva an expiration date.

I was at the local office supplies store.  It has Christmas cards.

Nowadays it is a sure sign that Halloween is coming when the stores have the first Christmas items.

Offline Petey

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +11/-0
« Reply #28 on: October 13, 2011, 10:16:21 AM »
Heh, our local Lowes started stocking xmas stuff the day after Labor Day.
He never pays attention, he always knows the answer, and he can never tell you how he knows. We can't keep thrashing him. He is a bad example to the other pupils. There's no educating a smart boy.
-– Terry Pratchett, Thief of Time