Author Topic: In order to believe in God.  (Read 26667 times)

Offline jtp56

• Graduate
  • Darwins +4/-66
  • WWGHA Member
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
Re: In order to believe in God.
« Reply #377 on: October 28, 2011, 06:25:25 PM »
Wow, does everyone here have the historical account of Abraham screwed up!!!!!  Even Christians.  Abraham went up the mountain to sacrifice his son believing God would provide a scapegoat, and God did!  A model for Jesus.  God didn't tell him to kill anyone.  Ya'll gotta read the Bible man!!!  God is not gonna tell anyone to kill their kids, been there done that with His own Son. 

Oh wait a minute, most of you atheists probably are for abortion.  Even our president when he was a senator in Illinois voted for allowing infants that survived late term abortions to be let to die.

Who's killing who around here?

If anyone thinks God is telling them to kill their kids, their delusional, retarded, idiots and it doesn't matter what their world view is.
Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God.

Online albeto

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +70/-1
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #378 on: October 28, 2011, 06:29:38 PM »

What difference does suffering make to an atheist?  You'll all be dirt in 100 years if chance holds out for you?  If suffering means so much to you, why aren't you doing something about it? 

Suffering is the same to an atheist as it is to a Christian or Hindu or Sikh or wiccan.  Suffering is pain and we humans have a natural affection for other humans and a desire to see pain reduced as much as possible.  Why would you think atheists don't care about suffering?  We'll all be in dirt in a hundred years anyway so why not make the most of this time?  And we do as much as we can about it.  We research the causes for conditions like autism and Parkinson's so they can be treated and hopefully one day eradicated.  We look to the causes of emotional suffering so we can alleviate that as much as possible as well.  It's called compassion.  We don't do it for the benefit of a reward (what St. Catherine of Siena called "mercenary love"), but for compassionate reasons (com=with, passion=suffering - we sympathetically share the sufferings of loved ones and extend that compassion to those we don't know).  It's human nature to do so.  Christianity is but one way to interpret the world, a belief that is understood to represent reality.  It's not the only or the most accurate, it wasn't the first to come up with the idea of compassion or love. 

It's reality!!!  I'm not trivializing it.  Jesus said you will always have the poor with you when Judas was grousing about the really expensive perfume being wasted on Jesus feet, which, could have helped the poor.   It's reality...Oh I forgot, Christians don't know about reality.  In truth, the Bible is reality, atheism is incoherence.

I get the point of the story of Judas and the oil.  It's a story that shows the benefit of suppressing the short term gratification for a greater long term benefit (in this case, caring for people).  It doesn't change anything for my point, though.  Can you explain why you think atheists are devoid of compassion? 

Offline Alzael

• Fellow
  • Darwins +112/-23
« Reply #379 on: October 28, 2011, 06:33:38 PM »
JTP56, you have got to try harder than your last few posts. They did not contain anywhere near the level of concentrated stupid that I've come to expect from you, they were just blase and mindless. You need to step up your game and really put some effort into it if you're going to provide me with any amusement.

You're no longer the troll I remember.

Now come on JTP, let's dig deep and find your inner Christian Whackjob.
"I drank what?!"- Socrates

"Dying for something when you know you'll be resurrected is not a sacrifice.It's a parlour trick."- an aquaintance

Philip of Macedon: (via messenger) If we enter Sparta, we will raze all your buildings and ravage all your women.
Spartan Reply: If.

Offline Hatter23

• Fellow
  • Darwins +258/-7
  • Doesn't believe in one more god than you
« Reply #380 on: October 28, 2011, 06:35:23 PM »
  In truth, the Bible is reality, atheism is incoherence.

The Bible: Snakes Talk, God sacrificed himself to himself in order to avoid his own wrath for people who didn't live up to his expectations...even though he made them to and knew the would, Judas dies in two different ways....etc

Atheism: You see what the world looks like...that's pretty much how it works.

NO, YOU ARE INCORRECT
An Omnipowerful God needed to sacrifice himself to himself (but only for a long weekend) in order to avert his own wrath against his own creations who he made in a manner knowing that they weren't going to live up to his standards.

And you should feel guilty for this. Give me money.

Online albeto

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +70/-1
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #381 on: October 28, 2011, 06:37:27 PM »
The Bible says there is no good in this world, that the god of this world is the devil.  Our world view is the world is fallen, there is no good, all men are sinners, even me, my pastor, my kids, my wife....We need a Savior.  With our world view, what difference does it make?

Your world view is that benevolence evolved.  Come on!

Yes I know the bible says this.  It makes sense when more detailed information is unobtainable (like what causes autism or why natural disasters occur).  My understanding of the world is that human behavior evolved as did human morphology.  This is well documented and need not be a matter of faith for belief.  Regardless, is compassion any less compassionate for having a different belief about its origins? 

Offline RaymondKHessel

• Reader
  • Darwins +73/-3
  • Born with insight, and a raised fist.
« Reply #382 on: October 28, 2011, 06:51:14 PM »
JTP56, you have got to try harder than your last few posts. They did not contain anywhere near the level of concentrated stupid that I've come to expect from you, they were just blase and mindless. You need to step up your game and really put some effort into it if you're going to provide me with any amusement.

I agree. The past few posts have only ranked like a 2 on the pretentious smarmy-ometer. Very dissapointing. If he keeps this up I might actually end up paying attention to the points he's trying to make.  :-\

And he changed his avatar picture, too! No longer am I soothed by the red-nosed visage of a young Santa. I really thought I'd find Jesus within that mighty flaming beard, too. Now we have... What is that, Mt. Rushmore? Level 3 from Moon Patrol? Well, whatever it is, I certainly can't get lost in it's eyes. And that makes me sad. :'(
Born with insight, and a raised fist.

Offline kin hell

• Professor
  • Darwins +152/-7
  • - .... . .-. . /.. ... / -. --- / --. --- -.. ...
« Reply #383 on: October 28, 2011, 06:52:26 PM »
Wow, does everyone here have the historical account of Abraham screwed up!!!!!  Even Christians.  Abraham went up the mountain to sacrifice his son believing God would provide a scapegoat, and God did!  A model for Jesus.  God didn't tell him to kill anyone.  Ya'll gotta read the Bible man!!!  God is not gonna tell anyone to kill their kids, been there done that with His own Son. 

Oh wait a minute, most of you atheists probably are for abortion.  Even our president when he was a senator in Illinois voted for allowing infants that survived late term abortions to be let to die.

If anyone thinks God is telling them to kill their kids, their delusional, retarded, idiots and it doesn't matter what their world view is.

Aren't you the dropkick who loudly claimed, with all the unmerited confidence, arrogance and rudeness we see here, that a "drop" is not a scientific unit of measurement, only to be instantly  proven totally wrong?

Seeing as you were too limited in integrity to admit your error or to correct your claim in the the face of incontrovertible evidence, and too cowardly to even address the matter at all, can you explain why anyone should be bothered to give you the slightest amount of credibility for anything you say whatsoever?

Is making-shit-up a learned skill, or were you just blessed by your god with an overabundance of the talent?
« Last Edit: October 28, 2011, 06:54:46 PM by kin hell »
"...but on a lighter note, demons were driven from a pig today in Gloucester."  Bill Bailey

all edits are for spelling or grammar unless specified otherwise

Offline John 3 16

• Graduate
  • Darwins +1/-14
  • Darwins +0/-1,000,000,000
« Reply #384 on: October 28, 2011, 06:57:30 PM »
No one here has any idea who you are.

How was the mission trip?
It was pretty cool.  I went to cheung ju, south korea.
Loved every moment of it. Experienced few miracles but no regrowth of anybody's limb.  :-[
I didn't really think about this seriously, but maybe God doesn't want anybody's limb to regrow.

But what the heck, no one lives forever, if I die anytime soon I get to see Jesus face to face.
No one is going to take the smile off my face.
No more suffing, no more tears, no more sorrow.
Love of Christ, man
Love of Christ everywhere.
Are you a hatheist?  (hey-thee-ist)

A person who vocally hates on religious individuals, often criticizing such persons for being uneducated hillbillies.

Offline JeffPT

• Reader
  • Darwins +221/-0
  • I'm a lead farmer mutha fucka
« Reply #385 on: October 28, 2011, 06:57:42 PM »
Oh I forgot to mention; the guard witnessed the apostates death in the shanty, and since only Romans survived the ordeal it was explained away rationally.  Although they did have a hard time explaining the single Roman guards conversion.  You should see the movie: The Tip of the Spear about native Ecuadorians conversion, similar story.  Except they witnessed the death of a missionary.   

Let's say you had 200 Christians, 200 Jews, 200 Muslims, 200 Hindus all standing on a frozen lake, stripped naked and surrounded by Roman soldiers.  The Roman soldiers tell them all that they can leave the ice if they denounce their religion.  How many people do you really think would leave the ice?  Long story short, these stories are shit because you can say them about any religion.  The only smart people would be the ones who leave the ice.  The fact that you are impressed by this woo bullshit just makes you look bad.  It's very narrow minded and stupid.  Just because people believe something strongly, doesn't mean it's true. 

And I doubt that the Romans would have trouble explaining why one of the guards converted.  They could just say he was a fool and nothing else would need to be said. 

Yes it's true, God knew before He created the universe the 200 were gonna die.  Even the guy who wrote the New Testament said:  "I desire to depart and be with Christ, which is better by far;" Philippians 1:23.  The 200 that died ended up "better by far".

Then what are you Christians still doing here?  If you honestly believe it's better in the next life, then there is nothing here for you here.  Go there.  Be with your Jesus.  It makes no sense for you to stay here.   

Whenever events that are purported to occur in our best interest are as numerous as the events that will just as soon kill us, then intent is hard, if not impossible to assert. NDT

Offline Alzael

• Fellow
  • Darwins +112/-23
« Reply #386 on: October 28, 2011, 07:02:12 PM »

I agree. The past few posts have only ranked like a 2 on the pretentious smarmy-ometer. Very dissapointing. If he keeps this up I might actually end up paying attention to the points he's trying to make.  :-\

And he changed his avatar picture, too! No longer am I soothed by the red-nosed visage of a young Santa. I really thought I'd find Jesus within that mighty flaming beard, too. Now we have... What is that, Mt. Rushmore? Level 3 from Moon Patrol? Well, whatever it is, I certainly can't get lost in it's eyes. And that makes me sad. :'(

I think it's a matter of a lack of understanding. He seems to think that he's here to actually try to debate something.

What he fails to understand is that since he's already shown that he has no knowledge of......well just about anything really. Can't make reasonable arguments, barely responds to actual points, and is essentially incapable of carrying a debate more complex than "Is Elmo better than Big Bird", his only real role here is to serve as entertainment.

For all intents and purposes he is the organ-grinders monkey, capering about comically for our collective amusement.

He needs to learn to stick to what he's good at. Meanwhile, the adults will actually talk about the big-boy stuff.
"I drank what?!"- Socrates

"Dying for something when you know you'll be resurrected is not a sacrifice.It's a parlour trick."- an aquaintance

Philip of Macedon: (via messenger) If we enter Sparta, we will raze all your buildings and ravage all your women.
Spartan Reply: If.

Online albeto

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +70/-1
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #387 on: October 28, 2011, 07:36:32 PM »
So I got conned? 

d'oh

Offline RaymondKHessel

• Reader
  • Darwins +73/-3
« Reply #388 on: October 28, 2011, 07:40:13 PM »

Yes it's true, God knew before He created the universe the 200 were gonna die.  Even the guy who wrote the New Testament said:  "I desire to depart and be with Christ, which is better by far;" Philippians 1:23.  The 200 that died ended up "better by far".

Then what are you Christians still doing here?  If you honestly believe it's better in the next life, then there is nothing here for you here.  Go there.  Be with your Jesus.  It makes no sense for you to stay here.   

^^^^ Indeed. It's always been odd to me that you don't see a disproportionate amount of Christians lining up for those insanely dangerous/life-threatening jobs, considering their eagerness to get on with the "next life".

Things like nuclear waste transporter or bomb disposal expert or signing up for front-line infantry duty in the army, etc... Yet those jobs contain the exact same percentage of self-declared Christians as any other profession.

In fact, the only time you ever hear about a Christian intentionally putting themselves in harm's way or otherwise doing extreme things for their religion, it's the certifiably crazy ones... The ones who kill all their kids or blow up an abortion clinic and then sit in jail with a big smile on their face saying "Do what you want to me, I don't care, my actions made me right with the LORD and I only answer to HIM!!!"

Have to give the point to Islam on the How-Much-Do-You-REALLY-Believe-And-How-Far-Will-You-Go-To-Proove-It??? front. Praying FIVE TIMES A DAY!? Now *that* is devotion.

And the "radical" ones (AKA truly faithful fundamentalists)??? Those wack-a-loons can't get themselves killed quick enough by all acounts. It's freaking raining martyr parts on the daily in some places on Earth! Now THOSE people truly *believe*.

Course, could just be the bribes of virgins and a payday. But still.

Maybe Christians are just in need of a better incentive than the "Hang out at Yahweh's left hand for all eternity and praise Him!" thing in order to get really excited about the idea... Because it seems like none of them are in a terrible rush to get there. Can't say I blame them of course; if I believed in that stuff, s**t. Heaven sounds like some kind of hell to me. Just tight-asses and sycophants and brown-nosers and holier-than-thou types as far as the eye can see? No thanks.

Muslims on the other hand... They get 72 virgins. And their family's usually get paid around 20 grand USD $ by whatever terrorist organization err I mean congregation the Islamic martyr was a part of.

The women aren't promised anything from what I understand, so they're not exploding themselves at QUITE the rate their menfolk are - something like a 1,000:1 ratio maybe. Which is weird, because life pretty much sucks if you're a Muslim woman in an extremist theocractic country, so you'd think they'd be literally dying to escape that oppression and get to "the next place"... How much worse could it be?

Anyway, I think most non-Christians would agree (Christians obviously being biased in this situation), Muslims come across much much MUCH more serious about and devoted to their religion. I mean, if Christianity installed some new piece of dogma where you had to stop what you were doing in order to pray 5 times a day, I think you'd see church numbers drop dramatically. Especially with Western Christians, they'd just find it too inconvenient and intrusive.

And there's a *VERY* important difference between Christian prayer and Islamic prayer that also explains why stopping to pray 5 times a day works for one religion and would never work for the other, but it has nothing to do with the topic at hand, so I won't get into it.

But demanding prayer 5 times a day... BRILLIANT move to reinforce indoctrination. How many Christians do you know who only *really* practice their religion seriously on Sundays? Probably a lot. One day out of a week? As opposed to 5 times a day, EVERY day? It's no wonder Muslims are more devoted and thus, more ready to die for their beliefs.   

With Christianity, the overwhelming majority of the members are really just paying lip service. They're certainly not about to go get themselves killed for something they only half-heartedly believe in.  Not that I blame 'em. I wouldn't either.

Offline 12 Monkeys

• Fellow
  • Darwins +105/-11
  • Dii hau dang ijii
« Reply #389 on: October 28, 2011, 07:40:46 PM »
No one here has any idea who you are.

How was the mission trip?
It was pretty cool.  I went to cheung ju, south korea.
Loved every moment of it. Experienced few miracles but no regrowth of anybody's limb.  :-[
I didn't really think about this seriously, but maybe God doesn't want anybody's limb to regrow.

But what the heck, no one lives forever, if I die anytime soon I get to see Jesus face to face.
No one is going to take the smile off my face.
No more suffing, no more tears, no more sorrow.
Love of Christ, man
Love of Christ everywhere.
regrowing limbs would be a miracle, seeing a starving man convert to Christianity because you feed him is NOT a miracle
There's no right there's no wrong,there's just popular opinion (Brad Pitt as Jeffery Goines in 12 monkeys)

Offline 12 Monkeys

• Fellow
  • Darwins +105/-11
  • Dii hau dang ijii
« Reply #390 on: October 28, 2011, 07:45:22 PM »
Raymond.....the fact that they seek modern medical treatment for deadly ailments like cancer is also amazing.....why do they fight do hard to stay alive? Why do they use modern technology to prolong their lives? why not just go in a corner and die? Do they fight to prolong their lives because they are unsure their faith will deliver a promise?

Getting cancer is part of God's plan to take you,why do you fight it? God gives you cancer or other deadly ailments so you can DIE.
There's no right there's no wrong,there's just popular opinion (Brad Pitt as Jeffery Goines in 12 monkeys)

Offline RaymondKHessel

• Reader
  • Darwins +73/-3
« Reply #391 on: October 28, 2011, 07:57:59 PM »
Hey, I don't neccesarily want to beat this drum over and over, but is anybody actually going to do anything to sort out this whole Snake Killa / John 3:16 thing from last night?

Did I hallucinate it? Or are we just going to pretend that there wasn't some kind of Invastion-of-the-Account-Snatchers debacle where personalities were flip-flopping around, Tourettes rockets were going off, there was some kind of whacked-out thumbs down/smiting spree, all that?

I mean, Snake Killa *DID* morph into John 3:16 for a few hours, right? Complete with avatar pic and quotes? And thaOr was it just a really, REALLY lame dream I had? And now the original (is it?) John account is back and blabbering... Did he shed his skin? Is the Serpent Killer account just a husk now? What if it reanimates and they start talking to each other?

I can't tell what the hell is going on, and it's pretty confusing. Is it possible an admin could, like, quaranteen the two of them or something until we find a way to diagnose whether or not there's some kind of deceptive crazy-person infection going around?

I don't usually ask for things like moderator intervention, but seriously, I think SOMETHING needs to be done to sort that s**t out.

Raymond.....the fact that they seek modern medical treatment for deadly ailments like cancer is also amazing.....why do they fight do hard to stay alive? Why do they use modern technology to prolong their lives? why not just go in a corner and die? Do they fight to prolong their lives because they are unsure their faith will deliver a promise?

Getting cancer is part of God's plan to take you,why do you fight it? God gives you cancer or other deadly ailments so you can DIE.

Excellent point man. That didn't even occur to me. +1   ;)

Offline 12 Monkeys

• Fellow
  • Darwins +105/-11
  • Dii hau dang ijii
« Reply #392 on: October 28, 2011, 08:02:24 PM »
would lobotomies help either one of them.....actually it may increase their intellect

Online Add Homonym

• Fellow
  • Darwins +221/-4
  • I can haz jeezusburger™
« Reply #393 on: October 28, 2011, 08:17:14 PM »

Did I hallucinate it? Or are we just going to pretend that there wasn't some kind of Invastion-of-the-Account-Snatchers debacle where personalities were flip-flopping around, Tourettes rockets were going off, there was some kind of whacked-out thumbs down/smiting spree, all that?

I mean, Snake Killa *DID* morph into John 3:16 for a few hours, right? Complete with avatar pic and quotes?

Still looks that way to me. SERPENT KILLA has always exhibited John 3 16 characteristics - right from the first post, so I don't think much of his latest lie, that he is not SK. The only reason he managed to fool so many for so long, is that he kept his post count down, and behaved like a submissive woman.

John, you are aware that Christians are supposed to behave better than atheists, aren't you? Christianity says "Resist not evil", and "Love thine enemy". I know the Bible says nothing about lying on the internet, but it seems that the only Christians we get here are liars, or trolls with mental problems. How do you think that is going to colour our perceptions of Christians. You said, as SK, that God had revealed himself to you by telling you some foreign words. How are we supposed to evaluate that in light that you obviously lie, and have painted other Christians as liars, by your own brush.

Humans, in general, don't waste any opportunity to be unfathomably stupid - Dr Cynical.

Offline jaimehlers

• Fellow
  • Darwins +563/-17
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #394 on: October 28, 2011, 09:24:01 PM »
jtp56:  You do realize that lying about what the Bible says about Abraham in the hope that someone might actually take you seriously will only further prove that you aren't worth listening to, right?  Genesis 22 states quite clearly that God instructed Abraham to kill Isaac, and that Abraham was perfectly willing to do so because God had told him to.  The only reason that he told Isaac that God would provide a lamb is because telling a little boy that you planned to sacrifice him while you were on the way to the place of sacrifice would be plain stupidity.  It was not, as you claim, based on Abraham knowing that God was just testing him, because that defeats the purpose of such a test.

Offline 12 Monkeys

• Fellow
  • Darwins +105/-11
  • Dii hau dang ijii
« Reply #395 on: October 28, 2011, 09:35:04 PM »
Gods need for sacrifice is a puzzling need,,,first livestock,then people, now just killing with accidents or natural disasters or disease just for fun.

Offline jtp56

• Graduate
  • Darwins +4/-66
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #396 on: October 28, 2011, 09:37:14 PM »

How is this a response????????  Alzael your losing it!  My response is:

You have got to try harder than your last few posts. They did not contain anywhere near the level of concentrated stupid that I've come to expect from you, they were just blase and mindless. You need to step up your game and really put some effort into it if you're going to provide me with any amusement.

Huh???????????, think man!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  There are ideas out there, think for yourself!!!!!!!

For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God.

Offline jtp56

• Graduate
  • Darwins +4/-66
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #397 on: October 28, 2011, 09:48:30 PM »

The Bible: Snakes Talk, God sacrificed himself to himself in order to avoid his own wrath for people who didn't live up to his expectations...even though he made them to and knew the would, Judas dies in two different ways....etc

NO, YOU ARE INCORRECT

Atheism:  You don't believe in God.

Bible: Reality and an understanding of humankind.

By the way: donkeys talked, axe heads floated, the earth turned backwards, wet wood burned, three guys survived a furnace, God only had faith in (expectations?) His Son (Himself), and other stuff you don't believe. 

How did Judas die two different ways?

Offline jaimehlers

• Fellow
  • Darwins +563/-17
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #398 on: October 28, 2011, 10:16:13 PM »
jtp56:  You should educate yourself on what atheism actually means - not just the dictionary definition - before you make statements telling atheists what they do or don't believe.

I have come to the conclusion that atheism is nothing more than a statement that the universe would have turned out the way it's turned out whether or not God exists, and therefore, the existence of God is a moot point.  When it makes no difference to the outcome, belief in something doesn't matter.  I suppose you can call that idea incoherent, but your statement doesn't change the actual fact of the matter.  What was it that Shakespeare wrote?  "A rose by any other name would still smell as sweet."

By the way, you aren't doing yourself any good by trying to say that donkeys actually talked, or axe heads actually floated, or the earth actually turned backwards, etc, simply because the Bible claims it to be true.  The only thing you're showing by doing so is that it is your own belief that is incoherent, because it allows you to believe in whatever happens to be convenient for you at the time.

Online albeto

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +70/-1
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #399 on: October 28, 2011, 10:38:34 PM »
hah, I read that as floating heads.  That would have been a fun bible story. 

Offline Ambassador Pony

• You keep what you kill.
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +71/-4
  • illuminatus
« Reply #400 on: October 28, 2011, 10:42:45 PM »

You have got to try harder than your last few posts. They did not contain anywhere near the level of concentrated stupid that I've come to expect from you, they were just blase and mindless. You need to step up your game and really put some effort into it if you're going to provide me with any amusement.

Huh???????????, think man!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  There are ideas out there, think for yourself!!!!!!!

FAIL
You believe evolution and there is no evidence for that. Where is the fossil record of a half man half ape. I've only ever heard about it in reading.

Offline 12 Monkeys

• Fellow
  • Darwins +105/-11
  • Dii hau dang ijii
« Reply #401 on: October 28, 2011, 10:47:10 PM »

NO, YOU ARE INCORRECT

Atheism:  You don't believe in God.

Bible: Reality and an understanding of humankind.

By the way: donkeys talked, axe heads floated, the earth turned backwards, wet wood burned, three guys survived a furnace, God only had faith in (expectations?) His Son (Himself), and other stuff you don't believe. 

How did Judas die two different ways?
I miss Tbright at least he had a fun kind of STUPID

Offline C

• Graduate
  • Darwins +26/-0
  • Counter-Theist Taskforce
« Reply #402 on: October 28, 2011, 11:25:21 PM »
Wow, does everyone here have the historical account of Abraham screwed up!!!!!  Even Christians.

Was giving you the benefit of the doubt at this point.

Abraham went up the mountain to sacrifice his son believing God would provide a scapegoat, and God did!  A model for Jesus.  God didn't tell him to kill anyone.  Ya'll gotta read the Bible man!!!  God is not gonna tell anyone to kill their kids, been there done that with His own Son.

And now I am not. Abraham did not show ANY indication of thinking there would be a replacement sacrificial. He almost killed his son and was prevented to by an angel. He purely believed that the voice in his head telling him to kill his son for it was without error. And don't give me that bullshit about God testing Abraham's loyalty, for fucks sake, he's supposed to be omniscient.

And a model for Jesus? Lololol. Okay. Ignore the dozens of other genocides and massacres throughout the Old Testament including Joshua and the fact that God actually DID tell a certain Jephthah to sacrifice his own daughter, or do girls not count as humans or offspring in your world JTP?

Judges 11:30-40 30 And Jephthah vowed a vow unto the LORD, and said, If thou shalt without fail deliver the children of Ammon into mine hands, 31 Then it shall be, that whatsoever cometh forth of the doors of my house to meet me, when I return in peace from the children of Ammon, shall surely be the LORD'S, and I will offer it up for a burnt offering. 32 So Jephthah passed over unto the children of Ammon to fight against them; and the LORD delivered them into his hands. 33 And he smote them from Aroer, even till thou come to Minnith, even twenty cities, and unto the plain of the vineyards, with a very great slaughter. Thus the children of Ammon were subdued before the children of Israel. 34 And Jephthah came to Mizpeh unto his house, and, behold, his daughter came out to meet him with timbrels and with dances: and she was his only child; beside her he had neither son nor daughter. 35 And it came to pass, when he saw her, that he rent his clothes, and said, Alas, my daughter! thou hast brought me very low, and thou art one of them that trouble me: for I have opened my mouth unto the LORD, and I cannot go back. 36 And she said unto him, My father, if thou hast opened thy mouth unto the LORD, do to me according to that which hath proceeded out of thy mouth; forasmuch as the LORD hath taken vengeance for thee of thine enemies, even of the children of Ammon. 37 And she said unto her father, Let this thing be done for me: let me alone two months, that I may go up and down upon the mountains, and bewail my virginity, I and my fellows. 38 And he said, Go. And he sent her away for two months: and she went with her companions, and bewailed her virginity upon the mountains. 39 And it came to pass at the end of two months, that she returned unto her father, who did with her according to his vow which he had vowed: and she knew no man. And it was a custom in Israel, 40 That the daughters of Israel went yearly to lament the daughter of Jephthah the Gileadite four days in a year.

Oh wait a minute, most of you atheists probably are for abortion.

Nice random topic leap.

Even our president when he was a senator in Illinois voted for allowing infants that survived late term abortions to be let to die.

O..kay?

Gee I don't know.

...So Abraham was delusional, retarded and an idiot.

Apply this piece of advice to yourself.
The Second C

Offline Astreja

• Fellow
  • Darwins +265/-3
  • Agnostic goddess with Clue-by-Four™
    • The Springy Goddess
« Reply #403 on: October 28, 2011, 11:44:09 PM »
The Bible says there is no good in this world...

Be careful with that quote, JTP -- If that were so, it would only take *one* act of good to falsify that claim.

Unless, of course, you and the Bible are using a different definition of "good" than the rest of us.
Reality Checkroom — Not Responsible for Lost Articles

Offline pingnak

« Reply #404 on: October 29, 2011, 12:19:54 AM »

Offline C

• Graduate
  • Darwins +26/-0
  • Counter-Theist Taskforce
« Reply #405 on: October 29, 2011, 12:25:40 AM »
You can't spell "good" without "god"..and another o. But that's not important!  ;D
The Second C