Author Topic: In order to believe in God.  (Read 29658 times)

Offline gonegolfing

• Reader
  • Darwins +23/-2
  • God ?...Don't even get me started !
Re: In order to believe in God.
« Reply #29 on: October 06, 2011, 08:09:04 AM »
BTW, are you going to redeem your first-born by sacrificing a goat? Have you given 10% of your income to the Levites?
Hallelujah!
Jesus came and freed us!
"Therefore do not let anyone judge you by what you eat or drink, or with regard to a religious festival, a New Moon celebration or a Sabbath day."(Colossians 2:16)

Is that considered 'preaching' George.?

There, Kcrady's finished him off.

I know that the selection of well versed theists around here is extremely poor, but there's no need whatsoever to let this unskilled arrogant little punk ass and his preaching annoy us any longer.

;)
"I believe that there is no God. I'm beyond atheism"....Penn Jillette.

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +169/-6
  • You're wearing the juice, aren't you?"
« Reply #30 on: October 06, 2011, 09:32:51 AM »
God chose his own people and children even before creation.
and of course, you are quite sure that you are one of the chosen.    Again, evidence? 

Then why do Christians spread the gospel?Jesus told us so.

Our job is to spread and proclaim the good news, not to debate or to persuade.
Which is very convenient for you since you fail so badly at your claims.  However, many religions do the same thing, claim that their god is the only one. And like yours, they have no evidence.   We just get the usual preaching, insistence that your version of your religion is the only right one, arrogance that you somehow that you are "chosen", threats about the ooga-booga "end times", etc.   It's a shame that your supposed god only has such poor people to choose among, the liars, the cowards, the willfully ignorant.  Indeed, if your god is intent on being just one more imaginary bratty Iron Age deity, he's doing it well with you.
"There is no use in arguing with a man who can multiply anything by the square root of minus 1" - Pirates of Venus, ERB

http://clubschadenfreude.wordpress.com/

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +354/-85
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #31 on: October 06, 2011, 12:17:19 PM »
To the OP,

Then why do Christians spread the gospel?

Yes, but it says in the Bible that you're only supposed to spread it to those like yourself, and no one else.  To mingle with other religions, or people like us is to commit an awful sin, and you shouldn't do it.

So, on that alone you lose the argument.

-Nam
This thread is about lab-grown dicks, not some mincy, old, British poof of an actor. 

Let's get back on topic, please.

Offline onesteward

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +3/-7
« Reply #32 on: October 06, 2011, 12:35:09 PM »
To the OP,

Then why do Christians spread the gospel?

Yes, but it says in the Bible that you're only supposed to spread it to those like yourself, and no one else.  To mingle with other religions, or people like us is to commit an awful sin, and you shouldn't do it.

So, on that alone you lose the argument.

-Nam

Do you really believe that The Bible teaches that?
When peace, like a river, attendeth my way,
when sorrows like sea billows roll;
what ever my lot, you have taught me to say
it is well, it is well with my soul.

Horatio Spafford

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +354/-85
« Reply #33 on: October 06, 2011, 12:44:23 PM »
^

2 Cor. 6:14:

Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness?

-Nam
This thread is about lab-grown dicks, not some mincy, old, British poof of an actor. 

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +169/-6
« Reply #34 on: October 06, 2011, 12:49:59 PM »
Do you really believe that The Bible teaches that?

I do, and I also know that it contradicts itself. 

We have the "great commission" in Matthew 28.  We also have that Christians should not associate with others, 2 Corinthians 6, which does make it a bit difficult to accomplish the first. 

We also have contradictions on who should the gospel be spread to.  We have JC saying in Matthew 10 that no one should go to anyone but "lost sheep of Israel".  This was of coursed changed later when the "lost sheep" weren't the receptive audience the disciples hoped for.  And further on in the chapter, that one should simply leave if you aren't accepted and in context, it seems to indicate accepted immediately.   

EDIT: also 2 John has about not dealing with non-Christians, not even wishing them well and Deuteronomy 13, is quite strict, no dealing with non-beleivers, just kill them. 
« Last Edit: October 06, 2011, 12:55:36 PM by velkyn »
"There is no use in arguing with a man who can multiply anything by the square root of minus 1" - Pirates of Venus, ERB

Offline Hatter23

• Fellow
  • Darwins +265/-8
  • Doesn't believe in one more god than you
« Reply #35 on: October 06, 2011, 12:57:23 PM »

1)Faith does not come from rational understanding.
Faith comes from wishful thinking
2)Faith does not come from objective evidence.
Faith comes from believing which is objectively not true.
3)Faith does not come from logic or intelligence.
Faith comes from illogic and ignorance

4)Faith does not come from anyone's proof.
Because you cannot prove what isn't true.

5)Faith does not come from scientific explanation.
It comes from magical tales of a primitive people.

Are you, In fact, ready to hear the truth? God doesn't exist.
An Omnipowerful God needed to sacrifice himself to himself (but only for a long weekend) in order to avert his own wrath against his own creations who he made in a manner knowing that they weren't going to live up to his standards.

And you should feel guilty for this. Give me money.

Offline onesteward

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +3/-7
« Reply #36 on: October 06, 2011, 01:12:39 PM »
^

2 Cor. 6:14:

Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness?

-Nam

That verse doesn't seem to address who we are to "witness" to, just that we shouldn't partner or fellowship with unbelievers.Yoked and fellowship seem stronger terms than simply co-existing with others.My opinion anyway.

Horatio Spafford

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +169/-6
« Reply #37 on: October 06, 2011, 01:16:57 PM »
That verse doesn't seem to address who we are to "witness" to, just that we shouldn't partner or fellowship with unbelievers.Yoked and fellowship seem stronger terms than simply co-existing with others.My opinion anyway.

So, Christians are just *supposed* to be like the drive-by posters who we get here?  :)

Offline onesteward

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +3/-7
« Reply #38 on: October 06, 2011, 01:39:56 PM »

So, Christians are just *supposed* to be like the drive-by posters who we get here?  :)

In some instances it probably works out that way. However, why anyone would be a drive-by after they realize the warm welcome we Christians get here is beyond me. ; )

Horatio Spafford

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +169/-6
« Reply #39 on: October 06, 2011, 01:49:04 PM »

In some instances it probably works out that way. However, why anyone would be a drive-by after they realize the warm welcome we Christians get here is beyond me. ; )

Indeed, and incidentally, I've not seen anyone get a less than polite welcome if they come here and don't immediately start with the threats and plagiarized preaching. If that's what they start with, they get what they sow, much to our amusement.  It only becomes heated when the theist, Christian, Muslim, etc, make claims that they can't support.   

However, if this tactic is the best that this god has to offer, baseless claims from someone who can't defend themselves, then this god seems not interested at all in getting anyone to convert.   Running from town to town, claiming and if not immediately accepted, running to the next seems downright funny in a Benny Hill sort of way, complete with theme song.   

Offline onesteward

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +3/-7
« Reply #40 on: October 06, 2011, 01:56:31 PM »

I can't remember Benny's theme song....would you hum a few bars.

Horatio Spafford

Offline onesteward

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +3/-7
« Reply #41 on: October 06, 2011, 01:59:09 PM »
 All joking aside, I haven't seen theists , for the most part, treated unfairly in here.This site is really interesting and informative.

Horatio Spafford

Offline onesteward

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +3/-7
« Reply #42 on: October 06, 2011, 02:08:11 PM »

Indeed, and incidentally, I've not seen anyone get a less than polite welcome if they come here and don't immediately start with the threats and plagiarized preaching. If that's what they start with, they get what they sow, much to our amusement.  It only becomes heated when the theist, Christian, Muslim, etc, make claims that they can't support.   

However, if this tactic is the best that this god has to offer, baseless claims from someone who can't defend themselves, then this god seems not interested at all in getting anyone to convert.   Running from town to town, claiming and if not immediately accepted, running to the next seems downright funny in a Benny Hill sort of way, complete with theme song.

I believe that it will be the best,minus the baseless claims part, and that the most people will be saved in the end.I thought that as a Calvinist you would think that no witnessing or preaching would be necessary.

Horatio Spafford

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +169/-6
« Reply #43 on: October 06, 2011, 02:15:51 PM »

I believe that it will be the best,minus the baseless claims part, and that the most people will be saved in the end.I thought that as a Calvinist you would think that no witnessing or preaching would be necessary.

A Calvinist?  No, atheist.  Was raised Presbyterian though, so I do understand that particular claim of some OneTrueChristianstm.  Then why is any preaching necessary at all?  Indeed, from all of the claims in the bible that it's simply by "grace" that one is saved, no change of learning, JC intentionally making sure that some people will never get it, what's the point?

As for "most people being saved", another version of what God "really" meant.   Most people will be saved; everyone except "us" will go to a literal hell; hell is only seperation from God; everyone goes to heaven as long as you were "good" (never a real definition of what that is);  everyone goes to "new jerusalem" only jewish eunuchs go to heaven; everyone goes to heaven as soon as they die; people only get resurrected at the end times,  JC has returned, has not returned, will rapture people, won't rapture people.  You see my amusement?  :)

Offline pianodwarf

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +208/-6
  • Je bois ton lait frappé
« Reply #44 on: October 06, 2011, 02:36:36 PM »
hell is only seperation from God

Interesting variation here, by the way:

On a few occasions in the past, I've mentioned my bible-thumping ex-roommate who showed the strength of his faith by, among other things, lying to his wife about having had a vasectomy.  He was one of the ones who was of the "separation from God" school of thought -- only he said that that would be far, far worse than being set on fire forever because being burned like that "would be nothing compared to the agony of being separated from perfect love".  He also believed that the separation thing was going to happen to almost everybody, that very few people would be saved.  Nice.
[On how kangaroos could have gotten back to Australia after the flood]:  Don't kangaroos skip along the surface of the water? --Kenn

Offline onesteward

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +3/-7
« Reply #45 on: October 06, 2011, 02:37:51 PM »

A Calvinist?  No, atheist.  Was raised Presbyterian though, so I do understand that particular claim of some OneTrueChristianstm.

So you believed by being Presbyterian you were automatically a Christian? No "new birth" or "regeneration required"? I don't know ,really. Does the denomination teach that?
Then why is any preaching necessary at all?  Indeed, from all of the claims in the bible that it's simply by "grace" that one is saved, no change of learning

Because He told them to "Go, Preach..."

, JC intentionally making sure that some people will never get it, what's the point?

That would be your Calvinism showing.
As for "most people being saved", another version of what God "really" meant.   Most people will be saved; everyone except "us" will go to a literal hell; hell is only seperation from God; everyone goes to heaven as long as you were "good" (never a real definition of what that is);  everyone goes to "new jerusalem" only jewish eunuchs go to heaven; everyone goes to heaven as soon as they die; people only get resurrected at the end times,  JC has returned, has not returned, will rapture people, won't rapture people.  You see my amusement?  :)

I actually do. In a sad sort of way.

Horatio Spafford

Online JeffPT

• Reader
  • Darwins +252/-0
  • I'm a lead farmer mutha fucka
« Reply #46 on: October 06, 2011, 02:40:40 PM »
I was just telling you my story based on my personal experience which happens to be exactly the same when I ask other believers how they started to believe in God.
It was 'JFYI'

And believers in other religions will say the EXACT SAME THING.  So what does that tell you SK?  What does that information say to you?  Think it through.  Is it that somehow YOU have stumbled upon the secret sky man of the universe and every other single person in the world who says something different is wrong?  Or is it that ALL of you are wrong, and suffer from the same delusion?  Seeing as your religion is irrational, illogical, nonsensical, unproven and unscientific (your words), what makes your belief system different from anyone elses that you already reject? 

How horrible, we have 2/3 of world's population filled with illogical, irrational, crazy religious people.
Including myself.

It IS horrible.  Think about how you would feel if you were literally SURROUNDED by people who honestly thought Zeus was real, and lived their entire lives around that notion?  And you Christians wonder why we are angry.  It's because you're all nuts when it comes to religion, and it's hard to be one of the few sane people in the world while being insane is thought of as "good" and "right".  You all think you're version of religion is right.  It's moronic. 

You are wrong about God SERPENT KILLA.  It's not real.  Sorry, but it's not.  While you can not possibly imagine that it's YOU who are delusional, that is the truth.   Don't feel too bad though.  As you said, 2/3 of the world is just like you.  You can change though. 
Whenever events that are purported to occur in our best interest are as numerous as the events that will just as soon kill us, then intent is hard, if not impossible to assert. NDT

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +169/-6
« Reply #47 on: October 06, 2011, 03:11:40 PM »
A Calvinist?  No, atheist.  Was raised Presbyterian though, so I do understand that particular claim of some OneTrueChristianstm.

So you believed by being Presbyterian you were automatically a Christian? No "new birth" or "regeneration required"? I don't know ,really. Does the denomination teach that?
Congratulations, onesteward, you’ve immediately went to the “no true Scotsman” argument that all Christians who want to claim that their version is the only right one use.  Not all Christians think one must be “born again”.  I’ve yet to see that Christians agree on what that even means or what needs to be done. I was baptized, was taught that one must ask for forgiveness and accept JC as savior, accepting the grace that God supposedly already gave you.  Did all of that (and of course all Christians are certain that they’ve been specially chosen for this grace, using classic circular logic)  So no need to be given anything or reborning into anything.  Now, can this be called  “being born again”? From what I’ve read, yes, but there are a bunch of other definitions/requirements for it in other sects of Christianity.  Which is the “right” version? 
Because He told them to "Go, Preach..."
  Oh, so even if it doesn’t make a bit of difference, go waste your time with this.  Great omnipotent, omniscient god you’ve got there. 
, JC intentionally making sure that some people will never get it, what's the point?
That would be your Calvinism showing.
No, that’s the bible’s claim repeated. Matthew 13, Mark 4, Luke 8.  Romans 9 continues the intention that this god gives no one a choice.  Pity that your god can’t actually allow people to make a choice.  Nope, the deck is stacked.   Again we see that Christians all have different version of what they think their god “really” meant.   
  I wonder.  Do you see that each Christian, including you, has made up your own god and own religion?  Each of you insists that you have the right formula, but none of you can show that you are any more correct than the next.  You all insist that those “others” are real Christians, but what distinguishes you from them?  JC said that his followers would be able to miracles like him and more.  We don’t see any Christians doing anything in this category.  Though no Christian has evern, and as far as I can see, would ever agree to this, I’d love to have a pair of you, or a hundred or a thousand of you with the altars from 1 Kings 18.  God was good for a test then so why not now?  We would have you each stand up and call for your god.  You could even use exactly what Elijah said in calling on this god.  And I would be pleased to watch as nothing happened, and offer you my Zippo.

Offline onesteward

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +3/-7
« Reply #48 on: October 06, 2011, 06:54:11 PM »

Congratulations, onesteward, you’ve immediately went to the “no true Scotsman” argument that all Christians who want to claim that their version is the only right one use.  Not all Christians think one must be “born again”.  I’ve yet to see that Christians agree on what that even means or what needs to be done. I was baptized, was taught that one must ask for forgiveness and accept JC as savior, accepting the grace that God supposedly already gave you.  Did all of that (and of course all Christians are certain that they’ve been specially chosen for this grace, using classic circular logic)  So no need to be given anything or reborning into anything.  Now, can this be called  “being born again”? From what I’ve read, yes, but there are a bunch of other definitions/requirements for it in other sects of Christianity.  Which is the “right” version?

I think if Jesus says "Ye must be born again", that would be a good starting point.John 3 covers it.

Oh, so even if it doesn’t make a bit of difference, go waste your time with this.  Great omnipotent, omniscient god you’ve got there.

You would have to be omniscient to know if it makes or will make any difference.Jesus doesn't seem the wasteful type to me That would be your Calvinism showing.[/quote]
No, that’s the bible’s claim repeated. Matthew 13, Mark 4, Luke 8.  Romans 9 continues the intention that this god gives no one a choice.  Pity that your god can’t actually allow people to make a choice.  Nope, the deck is stacked.   Again we see that Christians all have different version of what they think their god “really” meant.

Well, we are getting your version here also.My opinion is that there is ample Scripture to question limited atonement. There are certainly people(way more qualified than I ) on both sides in the Calvinist / Arminian debate who never really settled the issue; I'm pretty sure we won't.I also am greatly blessed and learn a great deal from people on both sides... I think a good example of two differing opinions with one purpose in mind would be George Whitefield and John Wesley.I believe they both were instrumental in "The Great Awakening" but am not positive about that. 
  I wonder.  Do you see that each Christian, including you, has made up your own god and own religion?

Sorry, I disagree.You sound to me like a person who wanted to craft God  to be what you wanted Him to be and couldn't handle the fact that He is "I Am that I Am".
Each of you insists that you have the right formula, but none of you can show that you are any more correct than the next.  You all insist that those “others” are real Christians, but what distinguishes you from them?

Doctrinal issues usually.I guess like Whitefield and Wesley we should focus on what we have in common and like them amazing things would happen.

JC said that his followers would be able to miracles like him and more.  We don’t see any Christians doing anything in this category.

I read about them happening frequently.You have excluded yourself from any possibility of the supernatural so you can't accept them- no matter what.Like the possibility you might have been "born again".That just makes you a backslider and not an atheist so you can't own up to it.

Though no Christian has evern, and as far as I can see, would ever agree to this, I’d love to have a pair of you, or a hundred or a thousand of you with the altars from 1 Kings 18.  God was good for a test then so why not now?  We would have you each stand up and call for your god.  You could even use exactly what Elijah said in calling on this god.  And I would be pleased to watch as nothing happened, and offer you my Zippo.

That has already been tried with less than desirable results. Luke 9: 53-55

Horatio Spafford

Offline Add Homonym

• Fellow
  • Darwins +223/-4
  • I can haz jeezusburger™
« Reply #49 on: October 06, 2011, 09:04:34 PM »
There are certainly people(way more qualified than I ) on both sides in the Calvinist / Arminian debate who never really settled the issue; I'm pretty sure we won't.I also am greatly blessed and learn a great deal from people on both sides...

I don't know why you Christians don't just get together and make a new gospel up. It's desperately in need of clarification in a few areas, and I'm pretty certain that we know a whole lot more today than Jesus did.
Humans, in general, don't waste any opportunity to be unfathomably stupid - Dr Cynical.

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +169/-6
« Reply #50 on: October 07, 2011, 09:25:13 AM »
I think if Jesus says "Ye must be born again", that would be a good starting point.John 3 covers it.
Why it would be a great point, *if* Christians could agree on just what that means.  Again, can you tell me which one is the right one, onesteward?  It doesn’t seem so, and you punt to the bible. 
You would have to be omniscient to know if it makes or will make any difference.Jesus doesn't seem the wasteful type to me That would be your Calvinism showing.
Nice repetition of an accusation but please do show how that actually works, onesteward.  Just calling names is a rather sad attempt to excuse your nonsense.  And no, I wouldn’t have to be omniscient to know if it would make any difference if the claim that “one is only saved by the grace aka whim of god is true”.  Then I know that *nothing* else has any influence on the situation.  So, is that claim true, onesteward, is your bible telling the truth here or not?
Well, we are getting your version here also.
wow, my version is the bible?  I wrote the bible?  I don’t recall doing that.  You see, here I simply put verses down, not my opinion at all.  Then of course we get your opinion, you know, *exactly* what I said about how Chrisitans create their own god and version of the religion. I am still waiting to see how yours is the correct one.
My opinion is that there is ample Scripture to question limited atonement. There are certainly people(way more qualified than I ) on both sides in the Calvinist / Arminian debate who never really settled the issue; I'm pretty sure we won't.I also am greatly blessed and learn a great deal from people on both sides... I think a good example of two differing opinions with one purpose in mind would be George Whitefield and John Wesley.I believe they both were instrumental in "The Great Awakening" but am not positive about that
  Ah, so your opinion and “version” are better than mine somehow, yes?  Please do show how that works, onesteward.  I’m sure that you can probably pull out just as many verses as I have, and that sure does support the position that the bible is full of contradictions and is not special in anyway.  And appeals to authority?  How pathetic.  You are only putting the opinion of someone else on a pededstal.  You also try to claim that we won’t succeed where others failed.  Why not, onesteward?  Why not discuss this and maybe we’ll make headway?  Or is it that you already know you’ll fail?  I’ve also read both sides, so please don’t make the tired old claim that atheists are “closed minded” which seems to be where you are going with this.   
Sorry, I disagree.You sound to me like a person who wanted to craft God  to be what you wanted Him to be and couldn't handle the fact that He is "I Am that I Am".
ROFL.  Oh my.  It’s rather amusing that you make such a claim and then of course like every other Christian, you have no more evidence of such nonsense than your holy book.  Each Christian says “look at my god, it’s the only ‘real’ one and I know just what it is.” I take the god fully as presented in the bible, contradictions and all, and I see it as it is, a man-made creation.  I see no evidence of any supreme being. I would love if you could show me some.
Doctrinal issues usually.I guess like Whitefield and Wesley we should focus on what we have in common and like them amazing things would happen.
Yep, doctrinal issues, what God “really” wants and “really” meant.  And funny how those great authorities can’t even agree on what things you should have in common are.  They all are certain that their version is the only “right” one.  We have Protestants and Catholics, Orthodox,  Jehovah’s Witnesses and Mormons, and thousands more.  Who’s version gets supremacy, onesteward?  Once you decide, then magic will happen?  Again, this reads as the usual promises made by theists e.g. if you would only pray “my” way, then God would answer, if you would only be “born again” my way, then you would feel God, etc.   
I read about them happening frequently.You have excluded yourself from any possibility of the supernatural so you can't accept them- no matter what.Like the possibility you might have been "born again".That just makes you a backslider and not an atheist so you can't own up to it.
I read about UFOs frequently.  Golly, that must mean that they are real!  And no, I’ve also read about miracles, so your attempt to claim that I have “excluded myself” from anything is again wishful thinking on your part.  What I need is evidence, onesteward.  Just like you would need if a Wicca claimed to have healed an amputee, just like you would if I claimed that I met an alien from Zeta Retculi and it was a reptiloid posing as Queen Elizabeth II.   It’s also hilarious that you think you can declare what I am.  No, onesteward, I am an atheist, not a “backslider”.  I know you can’t stand the idea of someone rejecting your faith since that would mean someone thinks you are wrong, and you need every scrap of nonsense you can find, or create to validate your self-worth.   What I’m asking, onesteward, is why can’t *you* do these miracles?  Why can’t every single Christian or theist of any stripe, do what was promised? 
That has already been tried with less than desirable results. Luke 9: 53-55

Nope, not the same thing at all.  You see, I can read the bible too:

51 As the time approached for him to be taken up to heaven, Jesus resolutely set out for Jerusalem. 52 And he sent messengers on ahead, who went into a Samaritan village to get things ready for him; 53 but the people there did not welcome him, because he was heading for Jerusalem. 54 When the disciples James and John saw this, they asked, “Lord, do you want us to call fire down from heaven to destroy them?” 55 But Jesus turned and rebuked them. 56 Then he and his disciples went to another village.
  I’m not asking for a village to be destroyed at all.  I am asking for fire on an altar.  Howver, it is curious that JC stopped his disciples considering that JC is all about threatening villages if they dare not accept his disciples (Matthew 10, Luke 10). Of course, he does put that off until “judgement day”.  Seems that an actual display of power isn’t possible here.  I’m guessing you’d call this “mercy” but I see it as a prophet who can’t actually do what he claims and his actions are merely convenience, like when he couldn’t do any miracles in his hometown.  I figured you would be just one more in a long line of Christians who would refuse this challenge and try to excuse you and your god’s way out of it. 

Offline superfly

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +4/-0
  • go ride a bicycle
« Reply #51 on: October 07, 2011, 10:09:16 AM »
His sheep will know Him and follow Him. ;)
Because we were chosen, and created that way.

So, i guess, i was not chosen.

God didn't chose me for his kingdom, instead, he chooses to create me to die in the fires of hell.

WOW.  :o
Say what you will about the sweet miracle of unquestioning faith, I consider a capacity for it terrifying and absolutely vile!
Kurt Vonnegut

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +354/-85
« Reply #52 on: October 07, 2011, 01:18:13 PM »
Quote from: onesteward Reply #36 on: Yesterday at 01:12:39 PM

If you're not supposed to be near or around them for them to confuse you or try to convert you to their thinking, then, how is it you're supposed to witness to them?

-Nam

Offline RaymondKHessel

• Reader
  • Darwins +73/-3
  • Born with insight, and a raised fist.
« Reply #53 on: October 07, 2011, 02:15:55 PM »

Dude, your god tried to rip off Popeye. That's pretty lamesauce right there.

He didn't even get it right! So much for omni-whatever. It's "I am WHAT I am".

"I am that I am" doesn't even make sense! That's not even a complete thought!

Does it sound profound to you or something? When your bible or preacher uses these goofy little catch-phrases like "I am that I am" or "The Ground of Being" or "The All-totalling loft of Promise!"? Does it make you feel all deep and enlightened to use nonsensical 14th century bible talk in a 21st century conversation? It totally should, because let me tell you, I really get the vapors when religious types talk like that. The language is just so HOLY and full of GLORY. Not at all cheesy and completely disconnected from reality. After all, we're talking about the Effervescent Bestowment of Percolating Despondance here... It TOTALLY doesn't make you sound like a raging dork. I swear. It's really, really impressive and awesome. Really. Fer shure.  &)
Born with insight, and a raised fist.

Offline onesteward

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +3/-7
« Reply #54 on: October 07, 2011, 05:23:53 PM »

Dude, your god tried to rip off Popeye. That's pretty lamesauce right there.

He didn't even get it right! So much for omni-whatever. It's "I am WHAT I am".

"I am that I am" doesn't even make sense! That's not even a complete thought!

Does it sound profound to you or something? When your bible or preacher uses these goofy little catch-phrases like "I am that I am" or "The Ground of Being" or "The All-totalling loft of Promise!"? Does it make you feel all deep and enlightened to use nonsensical 14th century bible talk in a 21st century conversation? It totally should, because let me tell you, I really get the vapors when religious types talk like that. The language is just so HOLY and full of GLORY. Not at all cheesy and completely disconnected from reality. After all, we're talking about the Effervescent Bestowment of Percolating Despondance here... It TOTALLY doesn't make you sound like a raging dork. I swear. It's really, really impressive and awesome. Really. Fer shure.  &)

Whoa!!! Old Adage Flashback!!!

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove any doubt"

Horatio Spafford

Offline onesteward

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +3/-7
« Reply #55 on: October 07, 2011, 05:30:35 PM »
Quote from: onesteward Reply #36 on: Yesterday at 01:12:39 PM

If you're not supposed to be near or around them for them to confuse you or try to convert you to their thinking, then, how is it you're supposed to witness to them?

-Nam

If we are to witness to them or preach to them you can't see where it would follow that we can be near them?

Horatio Spafford

Offline pingnak

• Reader
  • Darwins +34/-3
« Reply #56 on: October 07, 2011, 05:51:57 PM »

OMFG!  Popeye is GOD!  I noo itz!

Offline onesteward

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +3/-7
« Reply #57 on: October 07, 2011, 06:40:49 PM »

OMFG!  Popeye is GOD!  I noo itz!

A joke that isn't funny doesn't become funny when it's amplified.It's just a loud not funny joke at that point.

Horatio Spafford