Author Topic: Why is Satan invisible like God?  (Read 33639 times)

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Laureate
  • Darwins +1140/-38
  • Karma mooch
Re: Why is Satan invisible like God?
« Reply #290 on: November 01, 2011, 08:50:26 AM »
^ I dunno.  Velky is a geologist, but I don't know if that makes her a scientist.  I have a brother in law who is a geologist but would not call himself a scientist.  He does enviro cleanup.

I am not very familiar with hypagoga.  But now that I think of it, I think cyberia is also a scientist. We should have a roster or something.
What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Online velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +341/-19
  • You're wearing the juice, aren't you?"
« Reply #291 on: November 01, 2011, 09:49:33 AM »
it'd depend on what you consider a scientist.   I can ID rocks (amazing on how many types of limestone there are and how nasty the chemicals one needs to ID them are, mercury compounds, cyanide, etc), see how faults are, analyse landforms, etc.  Did some of that in the field.  But, like screwtapes BIL, I did mostly enviro clean up.  So call me whatever you want. ;)
"There is no use in arguing with a man who can multiply anything by the square root of minus 1" - Pirates of Venus, ERB

http://clubschadenfreude.wordpress.com/

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Laureate
  • Darwins +1140/-38
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #292 on: November 01, 2011, 09:55:54 AM »
"anything but late for dinner..."
What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Offline freefromjesus

• Freshman
  • Darwins +2/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #293 on: November 12, 2011, 08:03:31 PM »
Satan is the Holy Scapegoat. God has to have someone to blame for his failures so its "The Devil did it!"

Online velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +341/-19
« Reply #294 on: December 20, 2011, 12:03:45 PM »
Since you’re back, SC.  I was waiting to see if you’d actually return:

It’s because your bible is written in the way it is.  It says that all authorities are put in power by God and that they must be obeyed no matter what. 
No, it’s because you read the Bible in a particular way. You claim that’s the only way to read it, but you ignore the way the Jews read it, Christ read it, the Apostles read it, the Church Fathers read it, and the way the Church has read it since. Why are you a better expert than they when it comes to reading the Bible? You’re born 2000 years later in an entirely different culture and you read it with antipathy both for what it says and for who wrote it. Even Ph.D.’s in Religious Studies, those who know ancient Greek, ancient Near Eastern cultures, ancient Jewish history and the like, don’t claim to understand everything about what the Bible is saying. I know you’re more than “this farm girl”, but what makes you right and 3000 years of studies wrong?

and more baseless claims.  Please do show how you know how the Jews read it, etc. Which sects? How did Christ read it when it wasn’t even put together? &) Why are there still Jews who evidently had no truck with this imposter messiah who doesn’t even fit the supposed prophecies?   I don’t care how the Church read it, because nothing shows that they are right.  Do you get that?  Nothing. My “particular” way is what the words say on the page.  Your particular way depends on creating an interpretation on what God “really” meant. 

Why am I not a better expert than they are when reading the bible?  I know my history, my psychology, my archaeology etc, and they all say that the bible is primitive superstious nonsense written by Bronze/Iron age people, full of their ignorances and baseless assumptions.  I do not read it with “antipathy” which is such a cute excuse from you.  Nope, I read what’s on the page.  You see, SC, I’ve read it as a believer and as not, and the words don’t magically change.  I read it with an open mind, without any assumptions about it.  You do.  You need to believe this god exists. You need to excuse the ridiculous parts and come up with excuses for what seems primitive and stupid.  A whole industry is built around trying to make sense of this collection of books.  Why does a god cause that to happen?  Or is it that there is no god and this is just human folly?

And yep, it was written long ago.  So what?  So where the Greek myths and we can see them just as worthless as any ‘truth’ as yours.  3000 years of study and still no evidence any of it is true.  Not one scrap.  Again, no different from any other religion.  Does this lack of any evidence to support them make them as true as yours?

We see the “truth” of the church change, always playing catch up to humanity. So much for god revealing anything to you and them.  One would think that this god mumbles.  For a book that is supposedly all *that*, isn’t it funny that no one can understand what this god really meant at all?  We’ve had wars over this nonsense, each Christiansn being sure that their claim of knowing what this god “really” meant was the only way and willing to kill for it and evidently this god of yours is good with that, or simply doesn’t exist. 
"There is no use in arguing with a man who can multiply anything by the square root of minus 1" - Pirates of Venus, ERB

Offline 12 Monkeys

• Professor
  • Darwins +181/-16
  • Dii hau dang ijii
« Reply #295 on: December 21, 2011, 02:20:31 PM »
So we have established that Satans purpose like God is to stay invisible.......as to NOT ruin the master plan set out by God to imprison Satan in hell. 

so theists just how is Satan doing so far
There's no right there's no wrong,there's just popular opinion (Brad Pitt as Jeffery Goines in 12 monkeys)

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +577/-56
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
« Reply #296 on: December 21, 2011, 02:22:50 PM »
So we have established that Satans purpose like God is to stay invisible.......as to NOT ruin the master plan set out by God to imprison Satan in hell.

Makes perfect sense. Or, as some of my friends say: seems legit.
My names are many, yet I am One.
-Orion, son of Fire and Light, Sol Invictus.

Religions need books because they don't have gods.

Offline 12 Monkeys

• Professor
  • Darwins +181/-16
  • Dii hau dang ijii
« Reply #297 on: December 22, 2011, 07:04:54 PM »
Now I get it God and Satan are working together. Satans job as Gods right hand man was to corrupt the souls of men to test their faith in God. Satan must STAY invisible so can continue the work God has for him corrupting SOULS.
There's no right there's no wrong,there's just popular opinion (Brad Pitt as Jeffery Goines in 12 monkeys)

Online velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +341/-19
« Reply #298 on: December 27, 2011, 09:14:24 AM »
Now I get it God and Satan are working together. Satans job as Gods right hand man was to corrupt the souls of men to test their faith in God. Satan must STAY invisible so can continue the work God has for him corrupting SOULS.

pretty much supported in the magic book in question.  If this god is omni-everything, then he does indeed require this "satan" character since he went out of his way to make sure all of his plans need this "bad guy". 

Offline Samothec

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +49/-2
« Reply #299 on: December 31, 2011, 01:29:15 AM »
(I was naughty and have only read the first & last pages of this thread so far so please excuse me if this has been brought up.)

As I understand it, humans have free will.

Where does it say that angels have free will? Without free will, angels can only do exactly what god commands - like a computer or programmable robot. So Satan (if a fallen angel) and all the other fallen angels are only being and doing exactly what god wants them to be and do. Or are they 'fallen' because they are broken (glitchy) and thus seem to not be working right?

I know, I am being bad - using logic. Naughty, naughty , naughty. The devil, um, god made me do it.
Faith must trample under foot all reason, sense, and understanding. - Martin Luther