Author Topic: Christian and their temper tantrum  (Read 373 times)

Offline violatedsmurf80

• Graduate
  • Darwins +2/-0
Christian and their temper tantrum
« on: October 03, 2011, 02:08:06 PM »
In my education, which I attend a christen college, I have ran into people that talk about how GoD makes them feel so much better. I am an open atheist and have no problem engaging in discussion so long as it is logical and not based on “spiritual feelings”.  A fellow student made a comment about my beliefs and said that he agreed to what the other Christians were saying about what should happen to atheist because of the denial of the cross at the world trade center. I could not help but laugh and call him a fool because he just proved, like a little kid throwing a temper tantrum, how Christian beliefs are. I made the comment about how they were not any better than the Muslim that flew the planes into the towers. Well, I think that religion will be the end of the world.   
When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross.”--- Sinclair Lewis

I believe there is something out there watching over us. Unfortunately, it's the government.

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +169/-6
  • You're wearing the juice, aren't you?"
Re: Christian and their temper tantrum
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2011, 02:23:21 PM »
From what I've observed, religion, and Christianity in particular, infantilizes humans.  Temper tantrums are a good way to describe on how they react when shown that they are wrong.
"There is no use in arguing with a man who can multiply anything by the square root of minus 1" - Pirates of Venus, ERB

http://clubschadenfreude.wordpress.com/

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +708/-28
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2011, 02:45:27 PM »
maybe they should be called "Temple Tantrums"?
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +941/-6
  • Jehovah's Witness Protection Program
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2011, 02:54:05 PM »
^^^That's what Jesus had. 8)
Extraordinary claims of the bible don't even have ordinary evidence.

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +354/-85
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2011, 10:11:40 AM »
Wow, the denial of a torture device seen at a horrible occurence.  What's next?

-Nam
This thread is about lab-grown dicks, not some mincy, old, British poof of an actor. 

Let's get back on topic, please.

Online jaimehlers

• Professor
  • Darwins +598/-19
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2011, 11:00:58 AM »
Actually, Christians using the cross as a symbol of their religion was an impressive piece of propaganda, especially at the time it was done.  Remember that crucifixion was used as a method of execution by the Romans, so Christians claiming it as a religious symbol effectively prevented the Romans (or anyone) from continuing to use it.  After all, when's the last time anyone heard of someone being crucified?  The cross hasn't been used as a device of execution/torture/what-have-you for a long, long time.

That being said, I do agree that there's no reason to put a cross up at the 9/11 site unless you put up a symbol to represent those of other religions, including Islam, who had people die there.

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +169/-6
  • You're wearing the juice, aren't you?"
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2011, 11:19:45 AM »
seems like the Romans were using it until Constantine.  Then he stopped it because it was probably rather embarassing ;): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crucifixion 
"There is no use in arguing with a man who can multiply anything by the square root of minus 1" - Pirates of Venus, ERB

http://clubschadenfreude.wordpress.com/

Online jaimehlers

• Professor
  • Darwins +598/-19
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2011, 01:05:40 PM »
Well, I didn't mean they stopped immediately after.  I mean, the Romans were not very fond of Christians for a few centuries, so I'd have been very surprised to find that they stopped using it right away.

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +941/-6
  • Jehovah's Witness Protection Program
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2011, 02:14:45 PM »
According to what we were taught as JW's, Jesus did not die on a cross at all; he was nailed to a stake. The cross idea comes from a mistranslation. (Bible scholarly types correct me if I am wrong.) So JW's don't use crosses as religious imagery, or refer to "crucifiction".

Besides, an image of someone tied or nailed to a stake just looks too Spanish Inquisition-y, too bondage-y. And wearing a little stick on a chain around your neck would just look weird, like, are you a Druid?

JW's would not wear a cross even if it was used, with the analogy of "If someone you loved had been electrocuted or shot, would you wear a little electric chair or gun around your neck as jewelry?"

Not everything the JW's do is silly. Just most things they do.
Extraordinary claims of the bible don't even have ordinary evidence.

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.