Author Topic: Why does God hide himself?  (Read 11408 times)

Offline pianodwarf

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +206/-5
  • Je bois ton lait frappé
Re: Why does God hide himself?
« Reply #87 on: October 12, 2011, 06:54:16 PM »
pianodwarf stated
So now I have my answer: Strawman.
That was about your philosophy class.

Doesn't matter what it was about.  It's still a strawman.

Still waiting for your one example.

Gnu Ordure already handled that (and thank you for that, BTW, Gnu), but if you insist on it being a human being, fine: Alexander the Great.

(need to go to bed now)

Pleasant dreams.
[On how kangaroos could have gotten back to Australia after the flood]:  Don't kangaroos skip along the surface of the water? --Kenn

Offline Gnu Ordure

• Fellow
  • Darwins +109/-9
« Reply #88 on: October 12, 2011, 08:04:39 PM »
whatchamean? :
I thought it was a given we were speaking about people, historical figures, or anyone after they drop over
You appeared to be making a general statement, but if you want to restrict it to a historical figure, OK.

How about JFK? Evidence of his existence is plentiful, films, photos etc. I could also show you his tomb, and theoretically you could compare his DNA with that of his living relatives.

None of that is testimony. But that evidence is conclusive.

Whereas for the Resurrection, you have nothing but testimony:
The testimony of those who prophecied the event and the testimony of those who witnessed it.
So you try to turn that into a virtue, by claiming:
What is irrational about the fact that without testimony, evidence is nothing?
Nice try...

You may complain that there were no cameras 2000 years ago; but that's your problem, not mine. God chose to incarnate at that time; he could have waited another 2000 years and had Jesus do his miracle and resurrection stuff in the full glare of technology. That would have been impressive.

But for some reason, he chose not to.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2011, 08:07:44 PM by Gnu Ordure »

Offline Brakeman

• Reader
  • Darwins +47/-3
« Reply #89 on: October 12, 2011, 08:14:33 PM »
Brakeman stated
No I'm not 12, I'm 48 and well educated, and I'm not afraid to have a straight on discussion or debate without dodging or misleading to defend any precious delusions.
My spelling does work, but anyone who would say Lots wife like to watch couldn't be over 12. Unlike most of your members so far, you really aren't worth talking to
OOOooh! Did Lot's wife having donkey sex for god's viewing pleasure strike a nerve??  That wasn't directed at you, you know..
If god's prophets and True Christians TM have magic prayer powers of smite, why don't you pray up a storm tonight that lightning will hit me and return honor to Yahweh? Go ahead, I have not the slightest fear of it ever happening. You don't either do you?

Doesn't it seem just a bit peculiar to you that god can't take care of himself anymore? Once upon a time he supposedly smote people right and left for not being pleasing in his sight, but now I can call him the most disgusting words I can think of and get no reply at all unless it's from somebody playing SPAG warrior.

God doesn't respond to your loving prayers or my blasphemous tirades because he is make-believe. Santa clause will respond just as much as god. Always!

If you're young enough to live another 40 years, do you realize you will spend that entire forty years without once really hearing the voice of god? All you have are the circular ghost stories of long dead ANONYMOUS hucksters.

« Last Edit: October 12, 2011, 08:16:33 PM by Brakeman »
Help find the cure for FUNDAMENTIA !

Offline Anfauglir

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +408/-5
« Reply #90 on: October 13, 2011, 05:38:01 AM »
Point was the evidence is all around you, even if you never used the Bible. Even if nobody ever preached the gospel.
If you want to use "the evidence is all around you" to prove YOUR particular god, then you need to show that that "evidence" of the world ONLY matches the way your religion says the world should be, and that of no other god that may be claimed to exist.  Otherwise, saying "look at the world" is just as good evidence for the Great Green Arkleseizure.

So what is there specifically about the world that could ONLY have come into being if your chosen god existed?

It does seem somewhat bizarre that - when armed with so much evidence of his (and only his) god that he could use to slap us down, that he prefers to argue over what a historical source is.  Surely if there is evidence - here, today - that proves HIS (and only his) god, he would be sharing it?
Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid.
Why is it so hard for believers to answer a direct question?

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +169/-6
  • You're wearing the juice, aren't you?"
« Reply #91 on: October 13, 2011, 10:13:48 AM »
I will go thru your rules Jetson and yes, the Bible is a historical document, in fact many. I'll be signing off for now.

I'm curious on what you think a historical document is.   
"There is no use in arguing with a man who can multiply anything by the square root of minus 1" - Pirates of Venus, ERB

http://clubschadenfreude.wordpress.com/

Offline whatchamean?

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +2/-34
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #92 on: October 14, 2011, 08:50:02 PM »
Gnu Ordure stated
You appeared to be making a general statement, but if you want to restrict it to a historical figure, OK.
How about JFK? Evidence of his existence is plentiful, films, photos etc. I could also show you his tomb, and theoretically you could compare his DNA with that of his living relatives. None of that is testimony. But that evidence is conclusive.
And the evidence doesn't mean a thing without the testimony of others. Even with all the evidence you mentioned, for anyone who never knew of JFK, his existence could not be proven without the testimony of others. The very second you die, the only thing that will  matter is how credible the witnesses are.

Whereas for the Resurrection, you have nothing but testimony:
Unless the witness is honest, nothing else is of any value. How will that stone cutter know what to chissel on your marker?[/quote]

Offline whatchamean?

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +2/-34
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #93 on: October 14, 2011, 08:56:14 PM »
Gnu also stated
You may complain that there were no cameras 2000 years ago; but that's your problem, not mine. God chose to incarnate at that time; he could have waited another 2000 years and had Jesus do his miracle and resurrection stuff in the full glare of technology. That would have been impressive. But for some reason, he chose not to.
I'm not complaining about no cameras, because cameras without a narrator are meaningless. Your claim that if Jesus waited till now to show himself alive from the dead would be impressive is interesting though. So if you lived back in the disciples days and saw what they said they saw, you'd believe in Jesus?

Offline whatchamean?

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +2/-34
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #94 on: October 14, 2011, 09:01:11 PM »
Jetson stated
OK, now I will ask you to cite sources, which are extra-biblical, that support your claim specifically.  And I would ask you to point out which parts of any of the books or letters in the Bible are historical, and which are not.
Your request would take years. Why don't we take one book at a time, one subject at a time. Agreed?

Offline whatchamean?

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +2/-34
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #95 on: October 14, 2011, 09:03:16 PM »
Jetson, I meant it would take me years to do one post. It will still take years my way, but one 5 minute subject at a time.

Offline Gnu Ordure

• Fellow
  • Darwins +109/-9
« Reply #96 on: October 14, 2011, 10:02:05 PM »
whatchamean? :
And the evidence doesn't mean a thing without the testimony of others. Even with all the evidence you mentioned, for anyone who never knew of JFK, his existence could not be proven without the testimony of others.
What others? What else do you need?

You have JFK's corpse, you have the DNA which you can compare to his supposed descendants. You have tapes of him speaking, photos of him.

Seriously, why is that not enough proof of his existence? No testimony necessary.

I'm not complaining about no cameras, because cameras without a narrator are meaningless.
Nonsense. Photos of an event are evidence, whether they come with a narrative or not.   

Magruder's film of JFK's assassination doesn't have a narrator. It's still meaningful.

Your claim that if Jesus waited till now to show himself alive from the dead would be impressive is interesting though.
Glad you think so.

So if you lived back in the disciples days and saw what they said they saw, you'd believe in Jesus?
I'm not sure how you leapt to that conclusion. If I saw someone raised from the dead, I would first doubt my sanity, and then I'd ask other people what they saw. And I'd like to see a film of what happened. And lots more evidence as well (because extraordinary occurrences require extraordinary evidence).
« Last Edit: October 14, 2011, 10:14:06 PM by Gnu Ordure »

Offline whatchamean?

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +2/-34
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #97 on: October 16, 2011, 09:43:55 PM »
Gnu Ordure stated
What others? What else do you need?

Corroboration.

You have JFK's corpse, you have the DNA which you can compare to his supposed descendants. You have tapes of him speaking, photos of him.
Did you ever see the 1st "Back To The Future" movie? In one scene back in 1955, Marty says to his granddad, "That's John F Kennedy drive." Granddad replies, "Who the hell is John F Kennedy?"

If nobody ever heard of JFK, it wouldn't matter if you had his corpse, because you wouldn't know who the dead guy was. It wouldn't matter if you had his dna, because you wouldn't know who to test it against. Without testimony, you would have a picture, but no name to put to it. Lots of movies have been made where someone is playing the part of another person. Point is, people claim the identities of other people every day.

Seriously, why is that not enough proof of his existence? No testimony necessary.
Question for you Gnu....How did you come to believe that a person named John F Kennedy existed?
[/quote]

Offline whatchamean?

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +2/-34
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #98 on: October 16, 2011, 10:07:53 PM »
Gnu also stated
I'm not sure how you leapt to that conclusion. If I saw someone raised from the dead, I would first doubt my sanity,
Yeah, I would too, but if I knew the person for years, I'd want to talk to them for awhile, ask questions....you know...."So how was death?"

and then I'd ask other people what they saw.
Yes, corroboration would be important.  :)

And I'd like to see a film of what happened.
Too much trick photography for a subject as serious as that for me. In a sense though, film, recording etc are actually instruments through which testimony can be transmitted.

And lots more evidence as well (because extraordinary occurrences require extraordinary evidence).
I think after getting over the initial shock, my own examination would suffice.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2011, 10:09:24 PM by whatchamean? »

Offline Brakeman

• Reader
  • Darwins +47/-3
« Reply #99 on: October 17, 2011, 06:10:53 AM »
whatchamean,

I have need for some money. Will you give me yours? I can wait a little while while you sell your things..

;D

Offline whatchamean?

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +2/-34
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #100 on: October 17, 2011, 07:47:05 AM »
whatchamean,
I have need for some money. Will you give me yours? I can wait a little while while you sell your things.
Maybe you should seek employment. Then you could help the hungry. If every person did that, starvation wouldn't exist.

Offline Hatter23

• Fellow
  • Darwins +257/-7
  • Doesn't believe in one more god than you
« Reply #101 on: October 17, 2011, 12:05:27 PM »
pianodwarf stated
That is, indeed, a most extraordinary claim.  What evidence do you have to support it?
The testimony of those who prophecied the event and the testimony of those who witnessed it.

Do you accept the statments made in the Koran, The BaghdadVita, The Illiad, The Odessy, The Books of The Dead, The Hindu Vedas, The Avestas of Zarathustra, The Adi-Granth of the Sikhs, The Urantia book,
The Kitab-i-Aqdas of Bahá’u’lláh, and Epic Norse Poetry? After all they have prophecy that come true within them, and are the testimony of those who witnessed the events therein.

An Omnipowerful God needed to sacrifice himself to himself (but only for a long weekend) in order to avert his own wrath against his own creations who he made in a manner knowing that they weren't going to live up to his standards.

And you should feel guilty for this. Give me money.

Offline whatchamean?

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +2/-34
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #102 on: October 17, 2011, 01:33:29 PM »
Hatter23 stated
Do you accept the statments made in the Koran, The BaghdadVita, The Illiad, The Odessy, The Books of The Dead, The Hindu Vedas, The Avestas of Zarathustra, The Adi-Granth of the Sikhs, The Urantia book,
The Kitab-i-Aqdas of Bahá’u’lláh, and Epic Norse Poetry? After all they have prophecy that come true within them, and are the testimony of those who witnessed the events therein.
Every single source you cited was written well after the fact. The only ancient writing in existence containing prophecy which is alleged to have come true is the Bible, as there is no dispute by anyone that the OT was written before Jesus was born.

Offline Hatter23

• Fellow
  • Darwins +257/-7
  • Doesn't believe in one more god than you
« Reply #103 on: October 17, 2011, 01:41:26 PM »
Hatter23 stated
Every single source you cited was written well after the fact.

As was every event in the Bible

The only ancient writing in existence containing prophecy which is alleged to have come true is the Bible

Incorrect, you are only thinking in the terms of Christianity in the Christian world.  http://www.alislam.org/library/articles/prophecies.html

, as there is no dispute by anyone that the OT was written before Jesus was born.

The assumes there was a man named Jesus, and he was born.

My original questions still stand.

An Omnipowerful God needed to sacrifice himself to himself (but only for a long weekend) in order to avert his own wrath against his own creations who he made in a manner knowing that they weren't going to live up to his standards.

And you should feel guilty for this. Give me money.

Offline whatchamean?

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +2/-34
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #104 on: October 17, 2011, 02:08:25 PM »
Hatter23 stated
The assumes there was a man named Jesus, and he was born.
Man Hatter, u r hardcore! lol

Offline Brakeman

• Reader
  • Darwins +47/-3
« Reply #105 on: October 17, 2011, 04:25:31 PM »
whatchamean,
I have need for some money. Will you give me yours? I can wait a little while while you sell your things.
Maybe you should seek employment. Then you could help the hungry. If every person did that, starvation wouldn't exist.
Ha ha! most learned christians would instantly know what I was referring to and why, but evidently not you..

Offline Gnu Ordure

• Fellow
  • Darwins +109/-9
« Reply #106 on: October 17, 2011, 05:01:25 PM »
whatchamean:
If nobody ever heard of JFK, it wouldn't matter if you had his corpse, because you wouldn't know who the dead guy was.
We are discussing historical figures, not anonymous people who left no mark.

We have a history of Jesus's life (let's say Matthew's Gospel) and a history of JFK's life (let's say the Encyclopedia Britannica article on him). These histories say who Jesus's/JFK's parents were, when they were born, where they lived, what they did, how they died and what happened to their bodies.

In order to demonstrate that this supposed JFK person was real, we can cite hundreds of films and photos of him, and theoretically we have incontrovertible DNA evidence. That's solid physical evidence, and it's not verbal testimony (of which we also have thousands of accounts).

But for Jesus's resurrection, we have no physical evidence at all; we only have verbal testimony, and that comes from a handful of witnesses.

And eye-witness testimony is notoriously unreliable.

Offline Finntroll

• Freshman
  • Darwins +1/-1
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #107 on: October 17, 2011, 05:12:02 PM »

But for Jesus's resurrection, we have no physical evidence at all; we only have verbal testimony, and that comes from a handful of witnesses.

And in this case they are not written by eye-witnesses. No serious theologian claims anymore that any of the Gospel writers actually met Jesus. Gets even worse: Those testimonies contradict each other so badly that they would be dismissed by a modern court.
http://ffrf.org/legacy/books/lfif/?t=stone

Offline whatchamean?

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +2/-34
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #108 on: October 17, 2011, 08:34:30 PM »
Hatter23 stated
As was every event in the Bible
I meant the OT predates Jesus birth, which means your assertion isn't true.

Offline whatchamean?

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +2/-34
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #109 on: October 18, 2011, 10:52:33 PM »
Gnu Ordure stated

We are discussing historical figures, not anonymous people who left no mark.

We have a history of Jesus's life (let's say Matthew's Gospel) and a history of JFK's life (let's say the Encyclopedia Britannica article on him). These histories say who Jesus's/JFK's parents were, when they were born, where they lived, what they did, how they died and what happened to their bodies.

In order to demonstrate that this supposed JFK person was real, we can cite hundreds of films and photos of him, and theoretically we have incontrovertible DNA evidence. That's solid physical evidence, and it's not verbal testimony (of which we also have thousands of accounts).
You think because technology has advanced, it changes the need for testimony. It doesn't. Films are nothing more than cinematic testimony, providing they're biographical and without narration, they would be meaningless. Same goes for pictures. Without the testimony of someone who recognized an individual, all you'd have is a physical description of a nameless person. DNA would be useless without someone to test it against, so you'd need a witness there as well. There's no way around this Gnu. All your argument against Jesus really consists of is that you don't believe the witnesses and that's fine, as long as you have good reason.     

It was reported that more than 500 people saw him alive after he was crucified, but the point is testimony is so important that our entire system of justice is based on it....and nothing else.

Yes it is if we were talking about a car accident or some other incident that occured in a few moments, but that isn't the case with the resurrection.

Offline 12 Monkeys

• Fellow
  • Darwins +103/-11
  • Dii hau dang ijii
« Reply #110 on: October 18, 2011, 11:14:05 PM »
whatchamean,
Starvation exists ,,,,because God is a racist
There's no right there's no wrong,there's just popular opinion (Brad Pitt as Jeffery Goines in 12 monkeys)

Offline 12 Monkeys

• Fellow
  • Darwins +103/-11
  • Dii hau dang ijii
« Reply #111 on: October 18, 2011, 11:16:50 PM »
500 eyewitnesses testimony would be good in a court of law,but is hardly evidence in a book written well after the death of this Jesus guy.....or do you think the books in the bible are eyewitness testimony?

The guys who wrote the books never even knew Jesus on a personal level.

The Bible is kind of like your uncle telling a fish story....every time he tells the story the fish is bigger than the last time he told it
« Last Edit: October 18, 2011, 11:20:48 PM by 12 Monkeys »
There's no right there's no wrong,there's just popular opinion (Brad Pitt as Jeffery Goines in 12 monkeys)

Offline C

• Graduate
  • Darwins +26/-0
  • Counter-Theist Taskforce
« Reply #112 on: October 18, 2011, 11:31:26 PM »
I meant the OT predates Jesus birth, which means your assertion isn't true.

Or the fact that no prophecy was ever fulfilled? And since the OT predates Jesus, Jesus could very well be an attempt to fit those prophecies.

You think because technology has advanced, it changes the need for testimony. It doesn't. Films are nothing more than cinematic testimony, providing they're biographical and without narration, they would be meaningless. Same goes for pictures. Without the testimony of someone who recognized an individual, all you'd have is a physical description of a nameless person.

Subtitles. Dates. Textbooks. Hieroglyphs. The freaking countless written languages of humanity. No? Yet some contents of the Bible, particularly Jesus, is mentioned much later in the historical timeline. Besides the only reason why more technology is applied to the question of if Jesus existed or not (as the miracle-healing street juggler) is because it occurred CENTURIES ago, not DECADES ago as it did with JFK. Your argument, if valid, basically proves everything in history wrong.

DNA would be useless without someone to test it against, so you'd need a witness there as well. There's no way around this Gnu. All your argument against Jesus really consists of is that you don't believe the witnesses and that's fine, as long as you have good reason.

You're being pointlessly stubborn. You don't always need witnesses or testimony along with a huge mountain of other evidence to clearly prove something.

It was reported that more than 500 people saw him alive after he was crucified, but the point is testimony is so important that our entire system of justice is based on it....and nothing else.

I think someone's been reading too much 12 Angry Men. And considering the Messiah himself showed up to more than 500 people as you say, it's remarkable how God hasn't showed himself at all except to a very select few who always claim that God spoke to them instead of showing himself to a large amount of people at one time like he did with the Israelites in the OT.

Yes it is if we were talking about a car accident or some other incident that occured in a few moments, but that isn't the case with the resurrection.

It's completely the same case if the event supposedly occurred centuries ago. Do you know Herodotus? When it comes to numbers (in this case, for an army/war/battle), he 99% of the time exaggerates. But how do we know this? By calculating reasonable logistics for the army and then pretty much applying almost every factor (resources, water, travel time, geography) at that time to the possible number of troops at that time.

Crude example:

Herodotus wrote that million(s) of Persians invaded Greece, when historians nowadays give a more modest number of approximately 200,000 because at that time it would have been simply impossible to supply that many soldiers in ancient Greece with the amount of resources and tools available for the Persian Empire at that time. Also consider the fact that supplying millions of troops even nowadays with the technology available is incredibly difficult as well.

And how do we know that the Second Invasion ever occurred? Well, besides the witnesses/testimony (i.e. accounts given by contemporary sources), you have the remains of military equipment used, the OTHER testimonies in the form of art, literature and so forth. Massive amounts of it from BOTH sides.

As for Jesus?

You only have the Bible. Nothing else.
The Second C

Offline kcrady

• Reader
  • Darwins +380/-1
  • Your Friendly Neighborhood Cephalopod Overlord
    • My blog
« Reply #113 on: October 19, 2011, 01:02:52 AM »

No, you do not have 500 eyewitnesses of Jesus' resurrection.  What you have is a claim by one person, Paul, that 500 other people--who are not named, who produced no accounts, drawings, or records of their own that can be traced to them--saw Jesus.  If I were to say, "5,000 people in Taos, New Mexico saw an alien spacecraft land in the Taos Plaza," would you nod and say, "Whelp, there's the testimony of 5,000 people proving that alien spacecraft visit Earth, so I'm a believer!"  I sincerely doubt you would.

Furthermore, it is not clear in what sense these alleged people "saw" a resurrected Jesus.  In the same passage, Paul lists his own experience of "seeing" Jesus, and he uses the same word for "see" as he does with the others he speaks of.  Paul's experience was a mystical vision of light shining down from the sky.  The vision-entity had to tell Paul that it was Jesus.  Paul did not recognize him as such on sight, and he certainly had no way to verify that what he was seeing was Jesus and not Satan leading him away from the truth of Judaism, or some 12-year-old space alien playing a prank, or a hallucination in his own head.  We have no way to know if the alleged 500 others also "saw" Jesus in the same way, assuming they're real to begin with. 

The extreme paucity of detail (no time(s) and place(s) where the encounter or encounters took place, no description of the event itself or any words Jesus spoke at the time, and not the slightest indication of "where are they now?") casts doubt on the validity of the claim.  At the very least, these alleged 500 people would have claim to some sort of special status in the Christian community, relative to people who did not see Jesus.  The fact that the Five Hundred are not mentioned in other Christian epistles and correspondence, nor does anyone make reference to any grand, timeless words Jesus uttered to them, provides a pretty good argument that this was a non-event.

In the hands of a believer, this claim also puts the lie to the notion that Jesus has to hide and be coy.  If he can "appear" in some way to 500 people, what's to stop him from showing up at Billy Graham crusades to receive the altar call?  Why can't he visit the churches who worship him in spirit and in truth?  And not in some invisible, indistinguishable-from-his-not-being-there way, either.  That would certainly solve the problem of "false" Christians or churches, which has been a huge problem for Christianity throughout its history.  If "free will" or some other excuse prevents him from being as detectable as any other real entity, why didn't that stop him from making this alleged appearance to the Five Hundred?
"The question of whether atheists are, you know, right, typically gets sidestepped in favor of what is apparently the much more compelling question of whether atheists are jerks."

--Greta Christina

Offline whatchamean?

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +2/-34
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #114 on: October 19, 2011, 01:27:26 AM »
12 Monkeys stated
500 eyewitnesses testimony would be good in a court of law,but is hardly evidence in a book written well after the death of this Jesus guy.....or do you think the books in the bible are eyewitness testimony?
Yeah, I think they were eyewitness. What do you call "well after" the death of Jesus?

Offline C

• Graduate
  • Darwins +26/-0
  • Counter-Theist Taskforce
« Reply #115 on: October 19, 2011, 01:29:45 AM »
12 Monkeys stated
Yeah, I think they were eyewitness. What do you call "well after" the death of Jesus?

...I sure as hell don't call them eye-witnesses  :?

Eye-witnesses are people who WITNESSED (with their eyes hopefully) an event such as a crime, or in this case, alleged Resurrection preferably at the time it was going on. You could freaking call everybody an eye-witness long after a certain event according to your definition.
The Second C