Author Topic: Why so Angry  (Read 3223 times)

Offline L-Chaim

• Student
  • Darwins +3/-11
  • WWGHA Member
Why so Angry
« on: October 02, 2011, 02:29:25 AM »
I'm new here but for the most part all i have seen is angry tirades directed towards God. My question is this...If God does not exist then why get angry about it ?

Or do you know He exists and you just dont like Him ?

the later makes more sense from a mental health point of view.

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +293/-37
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
Re: Why so Angry
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2011, 02:39:42 AM »
Your perception of us is in error. We are not pissed at your god just like we're not pissed at the Easter Bunny. However, some of us are pissed at you (believers). If you have to ask "why" then you clearly do not know your history or people's attitudes towards atheists
EDIT: Read this blog
« Last Edit: October 02, 2011, 02:42:09 AM by Blaziken_rjcf »
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

A.K.A.: Blaziken_rjcf/Lucifer/All In One/Orion.

Offline L-Chaim

• Student
  • Darwins +3/-11
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2011, 02:48:13 AM »
Your perception of us is in error. We are not pissed at your god just like we're not pissed at the Easter Bunny. However, some of us are pissed at you (believers). If you have to ask "why" then you clearly do not know your history or people's attitudes towards atheists

My perception of you is based on the posts on the forum, so go check them out and you will see the Tirades at God NOT believers.

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +293/-37
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2011, 02:50:01 AM »

My perception of you is based on the posts on the forum, so go check them out and you will see the Tirades at God NOT believers.

Like I said, your perception is in error.
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

Offline Zankuu

• Reader
  • Darwins +134/-3
    • I am a Forum Guide
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2011, 03:02:37 AM »
I'm new here but for the most part all i have seen is angry tirades directed towards God. My question is this...If God does not exist then why get angry about it ?

I'm assuming by "God" you mean the Christian god Yahweh.

I'm pissed because the ancient, barbaric doctrine of that imaginary deity creates sexist, bigoted puppets that try and restrict certain human beings of their rights. I could list countless other reasons if you want. But, frankly, it just isn't healthy to think there is an invisible sky monster judging you, watching your every move, ready to pounce on the opportunity to send you to a fiery pit of eternal torture if you even consider for a finite second that he may not be real.

What's the only unforgivable sin? Leaving his goddamned religion, for good.

It's a scare tactic at it's ugliest. And it keeps followers praising his unholy name.

His existence is on par with Odin, Marduk, Krishna, Ra, En-Kai, Jupiter, Osiris, Hermes, etc.
Leave nothing to chance. Overlook nothing. Combine contradictory observations. Allow yourself enough time. -Hippocrates of Cos

Offline L-Chaim

• Student
  • Darwins +3/-11
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2011, 03:05:26 AM »

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +293/-37
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2011, 03:07:51 AM »
Ok, you've said that twice now so it must be true.

Or maybe it's because I'm an actual atheist, whereas you are not. I know what I feel. You don't.
We choose our own gods.

Offline Emily

• Professor
  • Darwins +50/-0
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2011, 03:15:06 AM »

It is probably because god's followers go off on tirades against those who don't believe in him. They attack science, politics, etc, and try to bring their god into our lives. They want prayer in public school and believe America is a christian nation, despite the Treaty of Trapoli[1] declaring America is not a christian nation. We're just pushing back, and we are pissed at him because he's the very cause of it.

Religion is a poison in our society, and the christian god is the most poisonous. His followers attack those who they are afraid of with such demeaning words like "sinner" and "evil". We aren't sinners because we don't believe in their god. It's not our fault they have yet to be persuasive  in showing their god is real,  and when we ask them for evidence they only thing they can use is their holy book. Not very convincing. Christians need to learn some marketing skills. 
 1. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Treaty_of_Tripoli
"Great moments are born from great opportunities." Herb Brooks

I edit a lot of my posts. The reason being it to add content or to correct grammar/wording. All edits to remove wording get a strike through through the wording.

Offline L-Chaim

• Student
  • Darwins +3/-11
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2011, 03:15:17 AM »

His existence is on par with Odin, Marduk, Krishna, Ra, En-Kai, Jupiter, Osiris, Hermes, etc.

I'm a Christian Monothiest but i do not deny that there are other gods (Elohim), i have done a good deal of study into the Divine council and the ANE. So i take on board what you say here. At Bebel God put the nations under lesser elohim some are the ones you mention above, God started out again by calling Abraham and making Himself known through Him.

Psalm 82 is quite explicit in this but most Christians are afraid of these type of texts due to lack of contact with them, Divine council theology is not for the people who want comfortable theology.

So Good point.

Offline L-Chaim

• Student
  • Darwins +3/-11
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2011, 03:17:26 AM »
Ok, you've said that twice now so it must be true.

Or maybe it's because I'm an actual atheist, whereas you are not. I know what I feel. You don't.

Ok thats a fair point Blazikin but to assume my perception is based on my presuppositions is not. It's a reflection of the posts i've read, thats all.

Offline Add Homonym

• Fellow
  • Darwins +222/-4
  • I can haz jeezusburger™
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2011, 03:17:40 AM »

Welcome to the forum. I hope you can do a good bit of trolling.

However, your current troll has been done before.

Logically, the "tirades" must be against believers, because God does not talk to us by email, and some believers who have more liberal beliefs, don't get tiraded against. Proper tirades are directed against believers who believe in Hell.

Before trolling, please fill in the following form:

1. Creationist?
2. Hell?
3. Think not that I am come to destroy the Law?

That about covers it.
Humans, in general, don't waste any opportunity to be unfathomably stupid - Dr Cynical.

Offline Add Homonym

• Fellow
  • Darwins +222/-4
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2011, 03:20:18 AM »
... but i do not deny that there are other gods (Elohim), i have done a good deal of study into the Divine council and the ANE.

Oh, right. I can see that I will have to extend my form a bit more.

I'll admit that it may take a while before we figure out what page you are on.
Humans, in general, don't waste any opportunity to be unfathomably stupid - Dr Cynical.

Offline L-Chaim

• Student
  • Darwins +3/-11
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2011, 03:25:09 AM »

It is probably because god's followers go off on tirades against those who don't believe in him. They attack science, politics, etc, and try to bring their god into our lives. They want prayer in public school and believe America is a christian nation, despite the Treaty of Trapoli[1] declaring America is not a christian nation. We're just pushing back, and we are pissed at him because he's the very cause of it.
 1. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Treaty_of_Tripoli

So you believe is compartmentalizing life into categories and religion is to be kept in the private area of a persons life and is never to be brought into the public ? This i feel is a non sequiter as what a person is in private will inevitably manifest itself in their public life.

Religion is a poison in our society, and the christian god is the most poisonous. His followers attack those who they are afraid of with such demeaning words like "sinner" and "evil". We aren't sinners because we don't believe in their god. It's not our fault they have yet to be persuasive  in showing their god is real,  and when we ask them for evidence they only thing they can use is their holy book. Not very convincing. Christians need to learn some marketing skills.

You know God is real or you wouldn't be angry about Him. As for Christian marketing, i think for a bunch of uncoth fisherman  thousands of years ago they done a pretty good job of getting the message out to the world ? no

Nice talking to you Emily :)

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +293/-37
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2011, 03:28:27 AM »
Ok thats a fair point Blazikin but to assume my perception is based on my presuppositions is not. It's a reflection of the posts i've read, thats all.

The name's Blaziken. And even if your perception is a reflection of the posts you've read, I assure you you must've misunderstood them. One who is angry at any god is, by definition, not an atheist. One cannot be angry at something one does not believe in
We choose our own gods.

Offline L-Chaim

• Student
  • Darwins +3/-11
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2011, 03:32:36 AM »

Welcome to the forum. I hope you can do a good bit of trolling.

However, your current troll has been done before.

Logically, the "tirades" must be against believers, because God does not talk to us by email, and some believers who have more liberal beliefs, don't get tiraded against. Proper tirades are directed against believers who believe in Hell.

Before trolling, please fill in the following form:

1. Creationist?
2. Hell?

That about covers it.

lol so suspicious, it's just my observation ? can i comment on that ? is this allowed here ?

I'm not here to troll, i got fed up with Christian forums for the time being and i'm here to chat with you guys, perhaps we can learn from eachother in some degree or other ?

i'll be here as long as the attacks are rational and or funny, or i get fed up being ridiculed.

Offline L-Chaim

• Student
  • Darwins +3/-11
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2011, 03:33:36 AM »

The name's Blaziken. And even if your perception is a reflection of the posts you've read, I assure you you must've misunderstood them. One who is angry at any god is, by definition, not an atheist. One cannot be angry at something one does not believe in

My point exactly we got there in the end. Thanks Blazikins

Offline Zankuu

• Reader
  • Darwins +134/-3
    • I am a Forum Guide
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2011, 03:35:28 AM »
So Good point.

Well thanks Chaim. Here's another point that's worth driving home:

The atheists that make up this forum are some of the best examples of human beings I could ever wish to find.

That probably sounds weird to a Christian monotheist, but if you hang around long enough you'll discover that the atheist members here value human life and do their best to make the world a better place- even if it's just a fucking smile to a stranger. Except velkyn, she dines on plump children. Shhhh.

1. So yes, we're angry. But not for the reasons you think.
2. Yes, we use strong[1] language. We're passionate people and we use passionate words.
3. Yes, many of us are ex-Christians. There is such a thing.
3. Yes, many of us have read the Bible. We're familiar with the damn thing and we find it disturbing.
4. And yes, we are most certainly not fascinated by Pascal's Wager or a priori arguments!

And welcome to the forum L-Chaim, I look forward to exchanging ideas with you.
 1. vulgar
Leave nothing to chance. Overlook nothing. Combine contradictory observations. Allow yourself enough time. -Hippocrates of Cos

Offline Add Homonym

• Fellow
  • Darwins +222/-4
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2011, 03:38:29 AM »
i'll be here as long as the attacks are rational and or funny, or i get fed up being ridiculed.

You'll definitely get ridiculed if you don't declare in advance whether you are a creationist or hell believer.

Here is the form again

1. Creationist?
2. Hell?
4. Christ is the only salvation?

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +293/-37
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2011, 03:43:30 AM »
My point exactly we got there in the end. Thanks Blazikins

And like I said, your interpretation of our posts is wrong. We are atheists, not theists who are angry at their imaginary friend for... well, being imaginary
This is the last time I say my name is Blaziken before I start reporting you for trolling
We choose our own gods.

Offline L-Chaim

• Student
  • Darwins +3/-11
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2011, 03:45:25 AM »

Well thanks Chaim. Here's another point that's worth driving home:

The atheists that make up this forum are some of the best examples of human beings I could ever wish to find.

Could a Christian ever be included in this group  ? (in theory)

Thank you for the answers, i would take issue with a couple of things but we shall get round to these things in good time, i look forward to talking more with all of you.

Offline L-Chaim

• Student
  • Darwins +3/-11
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2011, 03:52:04 AM »

And like I said, your interpretation of our posts is wrong. We are atheists, not theists who are angry at their imaginary friend for... well, being imaginary
This is the last time I say my name is Blaziken before I start reporting you for trolling

woo there, my speeling isn't the best but no reason to snitch on me. I'm dialextic give me a break !

accept my apologies Blaziken ( i copied and pasted it this time). You are my favorite so far i like a man who takes pride in his name.

Offline Bad Pear

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +16/-0
  • Observations from one bad fruit to the bunch.
« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2011, 03:53:44 AM »

Absolutely, Zankuu only mentioned the atheists here because they are who you directed your OP against. Some of the Christians I know are wonderful people despite their beliefs.  :P

Welcome to the forum. Read and learn.
Atheism is not a mission to convert the world. It only seems that way because when other religions implode, atheism is what is left behind

Offline L-Chaim

• Student
  • Darwins +3/-11
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2011, 03:55:24 AM »

Absolutely, Zankuu only mentioned the atheists here because they are who you directed your OP against. Some of the Christians I know are wonderful people despite their beliefs.  :P

Welcome to the forum. Read and learn.

Thank you !

Offline Zankuu

• Reader
  • Darwins +134/-3
    • I am a Forum Guide
« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2011, 04:06:07 AM »

This forum's got a bit of everything with about any flavor of certainty or uncertainty you want. But as far as Christian's go, OldChurchGuy takes the approbation cake. I usually appreciate SimpleCaveman and onesteward's contributions to the forum and did enjoy L6's back in his theist days. So it's not theory. There are quite a few theists I'm glad to have exchanged thoughts with.

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +293/-37
« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2011, 04:08:57 AM »
woo there, my speeling isn't the best but no reason to snitch on me. I'm dialextic give me a break !

Sorry, I didn't know that

accept my apologies Blaziken ( i copied and pasted it this time). You are my favorite so far i like a man who takes pride in his name.

I accept your apology (and I hope you accept mine) and thanks
We choose our own gods.

Offline L-Chaim

• Student
  • Darwins +3/-11
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2011, 04:19:15 AM »

Sorry, I didn't know that

No problem my friend, how could you know, it's very mild i get by with a spell check most times but names can be a problem.

I accept your apology (and I hope you accept mine) and thanks

Of course i do  ;D I would usually say God Bless you here would that offend here ?

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +293/-37
« Reply #26 on: October 02, 2011, 04:27:56 AM »
I would usually say God Bless you here would that offend here ?

I usually ignore such statements unless I perceive them to be an insult
EDIT: You should try using speech recognition. It's not perfect yet, but it's good enough
« Last Edit: October 02, 2011, 04:34:49 AM by Blaziken_rjcf »
We choose our own gods.

Offline pianodwarf

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +208/-6
  • Je bois ton lait frappé
« Reply #27 on: October 02, 2011, 06:16:07 AM »
Hi, L-Chaim, welcome to WWGHA.  I hope you'll find the site and its members entertaining and informative.

You will probably not be surprised to learn that we get this question a lot.  And you're right, most atheists are pretty angry, but we're not angry at God -- as others have pointed out, you can't be angry at something that you don't believe is real.  At most, you could say that we're angry at God in kind of the same way that we're angry at Grand Moff Tarkin for blowing up an entire planet just to try to get Leia to reveal the location of the rebel base.  Most atheists, however, would probably not even concede that much.

We're not really even angry about religion itself.  If religious people worshipped in their own way and kept it more or less to themselves, most atheists wouldn't really care about religion all that much.  However, in some societies (including the United States) a significant number of religious believers are not content to simply practice their religion; they wish to force their views and beliefs on everyone else as well.  To take one very minor example out of the many I could cite: these religious believers are not content merely to refrain from drinking alcohol on Sunday, they push to have laws passed so that no one at all can buy alcohol on Sunday.

Blaz has already pointed this out, but I'll add my voice in case you missed it:  Greta Christina has written an article about why atheists are so angry.  I definitely recommend it.
http://gretachristina.typepad.com/greta_christinas_weblog/2007/10/atheists-and-an.html

We get this one a lot, too.  It's a strawman.  I hope you can now see why.
[On how kangaroos could have gotten back to Australia after the flood]:  Don't kangaroos skip along the surface of the water? --Kenn

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +189/-8
« Reply #28 on: October 02, 2011, 06:22:08 AM »
We cannot be angry at an imaginary character.  However, the followers...wow...like today is the Sunday that a lot of preachers stick their nose at the government and the IRS and preach politics from the pulpit.  I'd get up and walk out if I were in a church and they started that.  All they want is power, control, and money.  And the control part is over all of us not just their flock.  So yes, f*ck your God.

Oh, I'm really angry at God because I asked for a pony and have not got one yet.
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!