Author Topic: christianforums.com  (Read 806 times)

Offline MMcNeely

• Student
  • Darwins +5/-0
  • WWGHA Member
christianforums.com
« on: October 01, 2011, 10:40:43 AM »
Don't ever go there.  They have a bunch of BS rules about how there can only be one atheist per thread, and that all the other little theists can basically gang rape the one atheist.  As soon as any atheist makes a good enough point that a theist can't counter, they lock the thread and place it "under review"   It's complete and utter bullshit.

Offline One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +286/-37
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
Re: christianforums.com
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2011, 10:44:56 AM »
This really isn't anything new. Most of the theist forums I've ever heard of have some sort of stupid rules to keep the atheists there quiet. Even when (officially) they don't, atheists are usually banned (or placed under moderation) pretty quickly once they reveal they are atheists
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

A.K.A.: Blaziken_rjcf/Lucifer/All In One.

Offline MMcNeely

• Student
  • Darwins +5/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2011, 10:48:53 AM »
LOL, I just saw my profile page there, and I've had five mods look at my page in the last 24 hours.  Freedom of speech my ass.

Offline One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +286/-37
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2011, 10:53:21 AM »
LOL, I just saw my profile page there, and I've had five mods look at my page in the last 24 hours.  Freedom of speech my ass.

That's all well and good. The mods have the right to check new members out. It should be standard procedure on any site
EDIT: Also, note that freedom of speech doesn't apply on privately owned websites, IIRC
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

Offline MMcNeely

• Student
  • Darwins +5/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2011, 11:06:10 AM »
That's all well and good. The mods have the right to check new members out. It should be standard procedure on any site
EDIT: Also, note that freedom of speech doesn't apply on privately owned websites, IIRC

I know... I just think it's bullshit to silence someone without just cause.  It just sounds like communism more than anything else.

Offline One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +286/-37
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2011, 11:08:23 AM »

I know... I just think it's bullshit to silence someone without just cause.  It just sounds like communism more than anything else.

Now that's different. It's one thing to check out a member's profile, to see if it follows the rules, but it's another to silence them without just cause. I (and anyone with half a brain) agree with you that the latter is wrong, but the former is up to the staff
We choose our own gods.

Offline curiousgirl

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +22/-0
  • Inquisitive agnostic atheist
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2011, 11:13:44 AM »
This really isn't anything new. Most of the theist forums I've ever heard of have some sort of stupid rules to keep the atheists there quiet. Even when (officially) they don't, atheists are usually banned (or placed under moderation) pretty quickly once they reveal they are atheists

It's sad how some Christians get so defensive out of fear when someone challenges their beliefs. Some tend to take rational thought as an assault on their assurance of eternal life. If the moderators are banning members or moderating them simply for using rational arguments for atheism, it kind of makes me wonder what sort of content they are not moderating.  :o
"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence."-Carl Sagan

Offline Zankuu

• Reader
  • Darwins +132/-3
    • I am a Forum Guide
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2011, 11:14:16 AM »
Don't ever go there.  They have a bunch of BS rules about how there can only be one atheist per thread, and that all the other little theists can basically gang rape the one atheist.  As soon as any atheist makes a good enough point that a theist can't counter, they lock the thread and place it "under review"   It's complete and utter bullshit.

Yep, been there, done that. I tried becoming a member a year or two ago. I was canned in my first thread, and I have a very non-threatening posting style! The more aggressive members here wouldn't even make it past their introductions post before the ban hammer comes down.

"Oh, well I can easily explain evolu-"BAN
Leave nothing to chance. Overlook nothing. Combine contradictory observations. Allow yourself enough time. -Hippocrates of Cos

Offline dloubet

• Reader
  • Darwins +80/-1
    • Denisloubet.com
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2011, 01:01:04 PM »
They don't want their house of cards tipped over.
Denis Loubet

Offline BaalServant

• Graduate
  • Darwins +8/-1
  • Praise Ba'al really hard!
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2011, 02:13:54 PM »
I've been going there a bit lately.  I don't have much forum experience, but it's about the most awkward site I've ever come across.  A house of cards is an apt description.

To the mods' credit, at least the ones I've dealt with, they haven't banned me, despite moving and combining threads for me and my repeated occurrences of posting in threads that are for christians only.  I'm guessing even they agree the site is about the most worthlessly confusing amalgam of rules.

I haven't gotten into any actual debates in any threads, so that may be why I'm still around.  The one exchange I have been having is through their pm system with a single member.

.   ###$$$$$$$$$$$$###
   ################
   ###  PRAISE BA'AL  ####
 #### FOR THE ALTAR ####
##### OF BA'AL!!!!!! #####
####################

Offline Rustybeatz

• Student
  • Darwins +3/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2011, 02:57:20 PM »
Have you guys checked out CARM.org?  It's run by a guy named Matt Slick (Slick?  That sounds like a used car sales man to me, but who knows, it might be his real name  ;) ) and he's pretty annoying in his videos.  Also, he puts up all the normal arguments against atheism such as the morality argument, etc.   But I have to say, they leave the forum section alone for the most part and let people flesh out their ideas and arguments. 

Offline Brakeman

• Reader
  • Darwins +47/-3
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2011, 05:05:11 PM »
They're simple to get around, just post as a christian wanting help answering an atheist. It's slower, but they won't usually ban you, just give you bad advice..
Help find the cure for FUNDAMENTIA !

Offline mrbiscoop

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +31/-2
  • Faith is not a virtue!
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2011, 07:44:31 PM »
Did you guys notice that they have ads and sponsors?
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
              -Emo Philips

Offline OldChurchGuy

• Reader
  • Darwins +101/-2
  • One of those theists who enjoys exchanging ideas
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2011, 09:05:16 PM »

It can also apply to theists who are not of the same mindset.  I happened to participate on one for many months and especially enjoyed exchanging ideas with the evangelists.  To my surprise, they did not enjoy my questions.  Eventually, it was discovered I had listed my religious affiliation as Presbyterian so was told I could no longer participate in the evangelical section.  When I asked what group I could work with I was referred to the Calvinists.  Now THERE was an interesting group filled with "theological inbreeding" who didn't care for even a simple question like "Just what do Calvinists believe?". 

I agree that "house of cards" applies to some theists theology in that admitting they don't have all the answers or may need to admit they don't know seems to be tantamount to having no faith at all.

Enough griping. (although I do feel better).

OldChurchGuy 

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle - Philo of Alexandria

Whether one believes in a religion or not, and whether one believes in rebirth or not, there isn't anyone who doesn't appreciate kindness and compassion - Dalai Lama

Offline MMcNeely

• Student
  • Darwins +5/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2011, 09:20:13 PM »
I can understand differences in belief of God.  Some believe, some don't.  Those who do believe are fragmented on their belief.  It's gonna be that way with anything.  What I don't understand is the strict moderation of discussion.  Saying you can't talk to this group, only one atheist per thread, and other junk like that.

As long as it stays mostly civil, let people talk!

Offline Mr. Blackwell

• Fellow
  • Darwins +77/-23
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2011, 09:56:54 PM »
They're simple to get around, just post as a christian wanting help answering an atheist. It's slower, but they won't usually ban you, just give you bad advice..

Strange now, it occurs to me I have seen a couple of members on this site say the exact same thing to the opposite affect. Could they be Christians posing as atheist seeking advise on how to deal with their Christian "friend"?
I show affection for my pets by holding them against me and whispering, "I love you" repeatedly as they struggle to break free.

Offline One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +286/-37
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2011, 12:16:07 AM »
It can also apply to theists who are not of the same mindset.<snip>

Now that surprises me a bit
We choose our own gods.

Offline RaymondKHessel

• Reader
  • Darwins +73/-3
  • Born with insight, and a raised fist.
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2011, 08:58:55 AM »

Yeah, no s**t! Especially with a guy like OCG!

That's like, I dunno, accusing Mr. Rogers of being in with the Latin Kings or something lol. Dude is the most laid-back and easy to get along with geezer you'd ever want to meet... Christian, Martian, or whatever.

What a bunch of dicks.  >:(
Born with insight, and a raised fist.

Offline OldChurchGuy

• Reader
  • Darwins +101/-2
  • One of those theists who enjoys exchanging ideas
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2011, 09:56:41 PM »

Yeah, no s**t! Especially with a guy like OCG!

That's like, I dunno, accusing Mr. Rogers of being in with the Latin Kings or something lol. Dude is the most laid-back and easy to get along with geezer you'd ever want to meet... Christian, Martian, or whatever.

What a bunch of dicks.  >:(

Thank you for the kind words.  They are greatly appreciated. 

I had an epiphany today finishing up an audio book on the French and Indian War.  The author was trying to explain why the colonies had so much tension with Britain after the war was over.  His conclusion was the colonists were operating on a premise of freedom (i.e., the colonies were partners with the British government) whereas the British government was operating from a premise of order (i.e., the colonies were subject to British authority with little if any choice).  It hit me that this tension between freedom and order also applies to theology.  There are those theists who want order above all else and there are those theists who prefer freedom (which would include freedom to decide on atheism) above all else. 

The real tragedy is that both groups tend to see the options in an "either/or" mindset rather than an "and".  Easier said than done, I admit.

Enough rambling.

As always,

OldChurchGuy
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle - Philo of Alexandria

Whether one believes in a religion or not, and whether one believes in rebirth or not, there isn't anyone who doesn't appreciate kindness and compassion - Dalai Lama

Offline Add Homonym

• Fellow
  • Darwins +222/-4
  • I can haz jeezusburgerâ„¢
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2011, 10:26:13 PM »
If you believe that the point of this forum is to deconvert people, then there is a 'desperate need'[1] to engage the random Christians who come here in a different manner, because they get repelled and banned, or go of their own accord very quickly. This has been attributed to them being overwhelmed by responses, but it's more likely because of unskilled and unfocussed argument style directed at them.

1. in such a manner that any uninteresting thing could be desperate
Humans, in general, don't waste any opportunity to be unfathomably stupid - Dr Cynical.

Offline MMcNeely

• Student
  • Darwins +5/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2011, 05:39:18 AM »
Just wanted to share with you the PM I just got... totally made my morning.

You have received a CPM (first staff contact- no points) at Christian Forums.

Reason:
-------
CPM (first staff contact- no points)

Hey there mmcneely,

Your post from the thread, Demonstrable proof, was recently removed for review. After careful consideration, staff has reached consensus that your post violates the following rule:

Flaming and Harassment
? Do not insult, belittle, mock, goad, personally attack, threaten, harass, or use derogatory nicknames in reference to other members or groups of members. Address the context of the post, not the poster.
? If you are flamed, do not respond in-kind. Alert staff to the situation by utilizing the report button. Do not report another member out of spite.
? Do not state or imply that another member or group of members who have identified themselves as Christian are not Christian.
? Those who do not adhere to the Statement of Faith are welcome as members and participants in discussions, but you are required to respect these beliefs, even if you do not share them.
? Do not make another member's experience on this site miserable. This includes, making false accusations or persistently attacking them in the open forums.
? Respect another member's request to cease personal contact.
Your post was found in violation for two reasons. One, it was responding to a post made by a Non-Christian in a Christian only area. Non-Christians may ask questions here but only Christians can respond in that forum.
The statement of purpose reads at the top of Exploring Christianity forum --
Exploring Christianity A Forum for Non Christians to explore Christianity with Christians.
-- Also, these are the sticky posts from moderators reminding of this rule in Exploring Christianity: Another Reminder - Please Read, Exploring Christianity FSG's - PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING!!, Friendly reminders from Staff.

The second reason your thread was found in violation was because it is considered flaming and offensive with wording. Please remember you cannot flame Christians or Christianity and its belief system here anywhere on the site:

Ha... religious people are the most CLOSED-MINDED ever. It's God's way or the highway. You'll burn in hell for eternity for not believing in Jesus. Yeah, that is real open minded.

I was born again. I was pretty deep into Christianity for almost 20 years. I know the God of the Bible, and I even "felt" his presence from time to time. Even when I believed (and I did) stuff didn't make sense.

Because of this decision, your post will remain deleted from the thread.

This private message counts as a CPM (Counseling Private Message.) This does not mean you are in trouble but is to assist you in the forums and make sure your visits here are enjoyable and lead to growth and fellowship.
CPMs do not carry consequences or points on your account, and are to help you out. Each user may only receive one CPM. After the first CPM, warnings will be issued. The first two warnings do not carry any points; however, further violations will lead to infractions, which do carry points and higher penalties.
To avoid potential problems in the future, please take some time to review our Sitewide Rules. This announcement details our moderating policy and provides information on warnings and infractions received. Also, the policy for reviewing staff actions is located here. If you have any questions about a warning or infraction, you may contact a Supervisor or Administrator to discuss your concerns. If you have received a one-month ban (from a second infraction), or a permaban (from a third infraction), you may use the Member Services Center to begin a thread and talk to Administrators about the staff action.

Sincerely,
JCFantasy23
-------

Original Post:
http://www.christianforums.com/t7573.../#post58666788
Originally Posted by razeontherock
Do you really think there is anything there of merit that deserves comment? I read it. FYI, you are violating essentially every rule of this forum. If there's a particular subject within Christianity that you wish to explore and exercise a little criticism, or even poke holes in, you can start a thread about that in this sub-forum. You might find a wide range of very good responses.
Fancy words for, "I don't know."

If you just need to vent because of some past hurts, you can do so in a few other sub-forums. The society section has a few you may enjoy, (E & M?) or the CWR sub-forum here in our outreach section is also more open-ended.
Ha... religious people are the most CLOSED-MINDED ever. It's God's way or the highway. You'll burn in hell for eternity for not believing in Jesus. Yeah, that is real open minded.

This is much more on-point, although you're still in violation of the rules by posting here in another's thread. The Bible is a Spiritual book, and to even be able to "see the Kingdom," one needs to be born again. IOW, the bible is a book for believers. As you allude to, the new birth is perhaps the greatest miracle.
Rules are rules bro. If the poster has problem with it, let me know and I'll just read. If you've got a problem with a discussion report me. I really don't care. My blood pressure will not go up one point.

I was born again. I was pretty deep into Christianity for almost 20 years. I know the God of the Bible, and I even "felt" his presence from time to time. Even when I believed (and I did) stuff didn't make sense.
CPM (first staff contact- no points)s serve as a reminder to you of the forum's rules, which you are expected to understand and follow.

All the best,
Christian Forums

Offline Add Homonym

• Fellow
  • Darwins +222/-4
« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2011, 07:20:15 AM »
http://www.christianforums.com/t7573972/

"ToHoldNothing" has made 1700 posts without being banned. He's a Buddhist libertarian, which makes him pretty close to atheist, and seems to argue as such. If he can do it, you can... after taking the right mind control drugz.

Humans, in general, don't waste any opportunity to be unfathomably stupid - Dr Cynical.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +324/-84
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2011, 09:25:12 AM »
I was a member of that forum once.  They banned me after a month.  Not for any comments I had made on the website since I followed their rules to the letter but it was for an even stupider reason.  Apparently I'm known by some people, and they recommended that I be banned based on the controversy that I seem to take with me wherever I go.  This has happened to me on many websites.  I've even been banned from websites I was never going to join in the first place.  Weird.  http://imdb.com almost banned me once because of rumors about me.

People are idiots.

-Nam
This thread is about lab-grown dicks, not some mincy, old, British poof of an actor. 

Let's get back on topic, please.

Offline Add Homonym

• Fellow
  • Darwins +222/-4
« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2011, 09:54:21 AM »
the controversy that I seem to take with me wherever I go. 

We won't ask.

Offline Chronos

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +130/-6
  • Born without religion
    • Marking Time
« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2011, 06:34:43 PM »
Don't ever go there ...

It has always been that way. I got suspended for 6 weeks one time just because I mentioned that there might not be a god as described by most Christians ... and I posted it in the atheist section. So, the place is useless unless your goal is to masturbate your own Christian spirit.

Apparently I'm known by some people, and they recommended that I be banned based on the controversy that I seem to take with me wherever I go.

That is why I visit most places under different names.

John 14:2 :: In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.

Offline Mr. Blackwell

• Fellow
  • Darwins +77/-23
« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2011, 06:43:07 PM »
I've even been banned from websites I was never going to join in the first place.  Weird.  http://imdb.com almost banned me once because of rumors about me.

People are idiots.

-Nam

Jeez guy! How much time DO you spend on the internetz?
I show affection for my pets by holding them against me and whispering, "I love you" repeatedly as they struggle to break free.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +324/-84
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #26 on: October 06, 2011, 12:10:03 PM »
^ I used to spend about 7-10 hours a day on the internet but for the past couple of years only about that much per week.  It is much quieter, and I do miss being on as much as I was, at times.  But, not so much anymore.  I can get the internet for my home again but I just haven't done it.  I'm thinking, at times, I like the quiet.

-Nam
This thread is about lab-grown dicks, not some mincy, old, British poof of an actor. 

Let's get back on topic, please.