Author Topic: An Answer to the Ampuees Question  (Read 814 times)

Offline Idioteque

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
An Answer to the Ampuees Question
« on: October 26, 2008, 11:59:15 AM »
Here is an answer to the amputees question by a forum member who didn't want to continue the conversation in that thread. I'll post it here along with my response so that we can continue the conversation and bounce some ideas off of what he proposed. My response is the quoted part following his:

"Well, here is my answer. If God created the universe, he created science along with it, didn't he? Well, science is made up of laws, and God has to obey by the laws he has created, for the most part (just saying this because, even though their isn't an instant that he hasn't that I can think off off of the top of my head, I'm going to leave some room for error). Who says he can't heal someone scientifically? God works through science, and he'll often plan ahead to fix problems in the future. For example, I know someone who tore one of the jugular veins, can't remember which one, sorry. Anyway, this vein carries most of the oxygen to her brain and this tear surely would've killed her. However, she had a condition from birth where she had a duplicate of the same vein, so she was able to supply oxygen to her brain and live. Tell me that isn't a miracle. Anyway, the reason amputees can't magically heal back is because it is impossible scientifically, and since God works through science, he can't magically regrow their arm."

If God can't do something, that means that he is not all-powerful like the Bible says. Basically, you are saying that God CAN create a rock that he cannot lift, which is a contradiction. This answer doesn't make sense. The God of the Bible has the power to do anything he wants at any time. For example, having a bush that is on fire but not burning is a physical impossibility, yet God managed to do that, right?
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there

Offline Azdgari

• Laureate
  • Darwins +472/-40
Re: An Answer to the Ampuees Question
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2008, 12:12:42 PM »
That response is just another way of saying that God doesn't do anything at all.  And certainly doesn't answer prayers.
I always say what I mean. But sometimes I'm a sarcastic prick whose tone can't be properly communicated via text.

Offline spetznatz

• Graduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • It's all Bollocks...
    • Architectural Visualisation
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2008, 12:41:55 PM »
Yup: "The Universe looks exactly as we would expect it to if God didn't exist." - Victor Stenger.
http://vizarch.blogspot.com  
"Trifles, light as air, are to the zealous confirmation strong as proofs of holy writ."

Offline bahramthered

• Fellow
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2008, 01:55:34 PM »
Its impossible because god designed us that way. He could have given us the same ablity as salamanders or any other such creature. But he didn't

Or god is imaginary and evolution didn't give us that.

Offline Monolight

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +2/-1
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2008, 02:05:08 PM »
Amputees problem will be resolved sooner than later by evolution -> science -> genetic engeneering.

Then nobody will care anymore about this question.

Offline Azdgari

• Laureate
  • Darwins +472/-40
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2008, 04:53:47 PM »
Monolight, you don't even understand the question.
I always say what I mean. But sometimes I'm a sarcastic prick whose tone can't be properly communicated via text.