Author Topic: My Mom is in the Hospital  (Read 397 times)

Offline Larissa238

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +12/-1
My Mom is in the Hospital
« on: September 26, 2011, 06:30:59 PM »
They think she had a minor stroke. She's having trouble moving the right side of her body and had a headache for a week. So far they have done a CAT scan and an ultrasound... she's waiting to do the MRI now. I kinda miss being a Christian right now, because then I could at least pray and feel like I'm doing something (even though I'm not). I just feel so helpless... I wish there was something I could do. Any advice?

________

Edited to add: She's in Jacksonville, FL, and I'm in Miami. She's about 5 hours away by car and I don't have a car or any way to get to see her. She keeps on saying she's okay, but I don't believe her. She said she was having trouble moving the fingers on the right side of her hand.... Oh, I'm worried!
« Last Edit: September 26, 2011, 06:56:55 PM by Larissa238 »
On why Christians and non-Christians have the same rate of divorce:

He would rather it that they worship Him, instead of spending their time on family.

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +192/-8
Re: My Mom is in the Hospital
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2011, 06:33:38 PM »
Be with her and offer support.
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline jetson

• Administrator
  • Darwins +170/-6
  • Meet George Jetson!
    • Jet Blog
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2011, 06:35:54 PM »
Do anything she needs!

Offline rickymooston

• Reader
  • Darwins +13/-11
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2011, 06:38:12 PM »
. Any advice?

Azgari's is the best. Be with her and offer support. Apparently she can hear you when you talk to her.

She's probably terrified. Having somebody care is worth something.

Brighten up her room with things she likes.
"i had learn to focus i what i could do rather what i couldn't do", Rick Hansen when asked about getting a disabling spinal cord injury at 15. He continues to raise money for spinal cord research and inspire peoople to "make a difference". He doesnt preach any religion.

Offline curiousgirl

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +22/-0
  • Inquisitive agnostic atheist
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2011, 06:46:02 PM »
Maybe read her a book she likes to help her relax? After my grandfather had a stroke, he just enjoyed me sitting there and talking to him.
"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence."-Carl Sagan

Offline Larissa238

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +12/-1
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2011, 06:55:25 PM »
I forgot to mention that she lives 5 hours away by car and I can't get there right now. I wish I could... I would love to be there with her. I'm going to edit my post to say that.

He would rather it that they worship Him, instead of spending their time on family.

Offline Mr. Blackwell

• Fellow
  • Darwins +78/-23
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2011, 07:26:10 PM »
My biggest regret about my grandfathers death was that I wasn't there. Not just for his death but for the last few years of his life at the nursing home. I lived in a different state for awhile and made all kinds of excuses not to visit him. Don't get me wrong, I did visit...just not nearly as much as I could have. Five hours isn't much. I have just this past month been driving 5 1/2 hours one way to work for a week then drive back on the weekends. I have to leave my house no later than 1:30 a.m. to get to work on time come Monday. I urge you to find a way to be with her even if you can't be there "physically" over the next few months and years. But as for the next week...find a way to see her. You'll feel better, she'll appreciate it. Don't let this moment pass you by. You have my heart felt sympathy.
I show affection for my pets by holding them against me and whispering, "I love you" repeatedly as they struggle to break free.

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +294/-37
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2011, 01:11:52 AM »
I can't offer any advice beyond what was already said.
I hope she'll be fine.
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

A.K.A.: Blaziken/Lucifer/All In One/Orion.

Offline Samuelxcs

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +6/-18
  • The oldest and strongest emotion of humans is fear
    • Fallen Angels
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2011, 04:21:08 AM »
All you can do is be with her and assist her with anything she needs. Just don't worry too much and she will be fine.
"The stupid neither forgive nor forget; the naïve forgive and forget; the wise forgive but do not forget."
-Thomas Szasz

Offline Larissa238

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +12/-1
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2011, 08:17:01 PM »
She's back home now... she's doing better. The clot that caused the stroke broke up and shouldn't cause any further damage. Now she just has to figure out a way to pay the bill with no health insurance. But the main thing is that she's going to be okay!

Offline violatedsmurf80

• Graduate
  • Darwins +2/-0
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2011, 08:18:43 PM »
She's back home now... she's doing better. The clot that caused the stroke broke up and shouldn't cause any further damage. Now she just has to figure out a way to pay the bill with no health insurance. But the main thing is that she's going to be okay!

That is good to hear!
When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross.”--- Sinclair Lewis

I believe there is something out there watching over us. Unfortunately, it's the government.

Offline Historicity

• Reader
  • Darwins +80/-2
  • (Rama, avatar of Vishnu)
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2011, 09:04:43 PM »
I am so glad to hear that.

My mother recovered from her broken leg this spring and my sister moved her close to her.

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +294/-37
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2011, 02:07:10 AM »
Hooray! =D
Sucks that she doesn't have health insurance[1] but at least she's alive and well :)
 1. =/
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

A.K.A.: Blaziken/Lucifer/All In One/Orion.