Author Topic: What brings you peace?  (Read 1613 times)

Offline Brenda

• Student
  • Darwins +3/-0
  • WWGHA Member
Re: What brings you peace?
« Reply #29 on: September 24, 2011, 07:27:45 PM »
Ever date somebody who snores incredibly loud? lol... I had a 3 month span of my life where I was terrified to go to bed because I knew I'd be awoken by the sound of a thousand buzzsaws working their way through sheets of aluminum.

Those were 3 months of some damned unpeacefull sleep, let me tell you! Sure, they have earplugs, but it freaks me out not being able to hear, so... You know. It sucked. :laugh:

Actually, I've been married to one for the past 19 years! He snores SO loud that on a business trip to Germany his co worker heard him snoring through the floor of a 300 year old stone hotel!

Once I'm asleep (with ear plugs) I'm good. He's a night owl and I'm and early risers so it works for us :)

Offline jetson

• Administrator
  • Darwins +170/-6
  • Meet George Jetson!
    • Jet Blog
« Reply #30 on: September 24, 2011, 07:42:39 PM »
Being with my family.
Playing my guitar.
Starbucks hot chocolate and the internet.
Hand watering my lawn.
Riding my bike.
Traveling, road trips (I complain, but I secretly enjoy it).
Linux command line.
I could go on and on....

Offline RaymondKHessel

• Reader
  • Darwins +73/-3
  • Born with insight, and a raised fist.
« Reply #31 on: September 24, 2011, 08:00:32 PM »
Traveling, road trips (I complain, but I secretly enjoy it).

Oh man, how could I forget road trips? Road trips are like my favorite shit in the history of ever. Every day new people, new places, new experiences...

Very little I'd rather do actually. I'm Keroauc incarnate. :)
Born with insight, and a raised fist.

Offline rickymooston

« Reply #32 on: September 24, 2011, 08:08:08 PM »
[Actually, I've been married to one for the past 19 years! He snores SO loud that on a business trip to Germany his co worker heard him snoring through the floor of a 300 year old stone hotel!

I snore loud. When we were together in China, my wife told me, she found it easier to go to sleep with my snoring. I'm sure in the future it will drive her nuts.
"i had learn to focus i what i could do rather what i couldn't do", Rick Hansen when asked about getting a disabling spinal cord injury at 15. He continues to raise money for spinal cord research and inspire peoople to "make a difference". He doesnt preach any religion.

Offline violatedsmurf80

• Graduate
  • Darwins +2/-0
« Reply #33 on: September 25, 2011, 11:48:49 AM »
Those few moments every night right before sleep. To be totally relaxed and completley alone with my thoughts does it for me :)

that how i feel when i am out in the woods by my self just sitting in the deer stand with nothing but my thought.
When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross.”--- Sinclair Lewis

I believe there is something out there watching over us. Unfortunately, it's the government.

Offline Omen

• Professor
  • Darwins +105/-15
  • One of the fucking bad guys; not friendly, tiger!
« Reply #34 on: September 28, 2011, 10:24:48 AM »
"Religious faith is the antithesis to knowledge, it is the opposition to education, and it has to act in animosity against the free exchange of ideas.  Why? Because those things are what cause harm to a religions place in society most." - Me

Offline plethora

• Fellow
  • Darwins +60/-1
  • Metalhead, Family Man, IT Admin & Anti-Theist \m/
« Reply #35 on: September 28, 2011, 10:35:51 AM »
The truth doesn't give a shit about our feelings.

Offline violatedsmurf80

• Graduate
  • Darwins +2/-0
« Reply #36 on: September 28, 2011, 12:34:47 PM »
Linux command line.

I prefer Git GUI 
When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross.”--- Sinclair Lewis

I believe there is something out there watching over us. Unfortunately, it's the government.

Offline Hatter23

• Fellow
  • Darwins +265/-7
  • Doesn't believe in one more god than you
« Reply #37 on: September 28, 2011, 12:46:11 PM »
Literally, what brings you the combination of joy and peace on a mental metaphorical level? Zen? Enlightenment? ( Whatever you want to call it )

I have many such moments, from mundane to out of the ordinary, such as a ritualistic bowel movement in the early morning hours while reading a sales ad for a local computer supply store or completing a model I've been building ( generally completing anything I do with my hands related to my hobbies ).

The weird thing it isn't completing a model, but completing a part of a model. I do lego architectural models, and when I find a particular angle or shape I'm struggling with how to create. When I tink I've come up with a solution, begin to execute it, and said solution is working...that moment right there. I am still in the process of creation but the problem is over(as afar as I know it at the moment) but it hasn't gotten to the repetitive, boring stage. Also being complimented by a fellow lego enthusiast, one's who's work I admire, at a convention is a joy.

An Omnipowerful God needed to sacrifice himself to himself (but only for a long weekend) in order to avert his own wrath against his own creations who he made in a manner knowing that they weren't going to live up to his standards.

And you should feel guilty for this. Give me money.

Offline jetson

• Administrator
  • Darwins +170/-6
  • Meet George Jetson!
    • Jet Blog
« Reply #38 on: September 28, 2011, 06:18:21 PM »
OMFSM...I probably knew this already, but are there a bunch of closet Linux geeks here?  Sweet!  I want to talk scripting, and get some help from experts!  I'd rather do that with godless heathens...

Offline Omen

• Professor
  • Darwins +105/-15
« Reply #39 on: September 28, 2011, 06:20:42 PM »
OMFSM...I probably knew this already, but are there a bunch of closet Linux geeks here?  Sweet!  I want to talk scripting, and get some help from experts!  I'd rather do that with godless heathens...

I will not help you with driver wrappers for broadcom chipsets.

I just want to make that clear, because that doesn't bring me peace.
"Religious faith is the antithesis to knowledge, it is the opposition to education, and it has to act in animosity against the free exchange of ideas.  Why? Because those things are what cause harm to a religions place in society most." - Me

Offline violatedsmurf80

• Graduate
  • Darwins +2/-0
« Reply #40 on: September 28, 2011, 06:37:44 PM »

Lmao. No it does not. I am no expert I am still studying this wonderful stuff.

Offline jetson

• Administrator
  • Darwins +170/-6
  • Meet George Jetson!
    • Jet Blog
« Reply #41 on: September 28, 2011, 06:48:14 PM »
My Linux scripting 800 page bible is on my iPad, and my iPad isn't any heavier after downloading!

I might start a new thread.

Offline Omen

• Professor
  • Darwins +105/-15
« Reply #42 on: September 28, 2011, 07:08:14 PM »
My Linux scripting 800 page bible is on my iPad, and my iPad isn't any heavier after downloading!

I am judging you because you own an iPad when you could have had an android tablet.

Offline jetson

• Administrator
  • Darwins +170/-6
  • Meet George Jetson!
    • Jet Blog
« Reply #43 on: September 28, 2011, 07:10:15 PM »

I am judging you because you own an iPad when you could have had an android tablet.

Would it help if I told you that I frequently ssh into a real machine?  I might play with an android tablet - just to be a fucking rebel!

Offline Emily

• Professor
  • Darwins +50/-0
« Reply #44 on: September 28, 2011, 09:59:53 PM »
Linux command line.

I prefer Git GUI

Knowledge of the Linux command line shows how sexy one is...  ;)

What doesn't bring me peace: the Cisco CLI, well at least studying for the fucking CCNA examine, anyways.

But yeah, Linux is hot.

I couldn't resist this picture. I have poster of this on my wall

Linux Is Sexy Too by qwerky969, on Flickr

it's really, really true.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2011, 10:22:37 PM by Emily »
"Great moments are born from great opportunities." Herb Brooks

I edit a lot of my posts. The reason being it to add content or to correct grammar/wording. All edits to remove wording get a strike through through the wording.

Offline plethora

• Fellow
  • Darwins +60/-1
  • Metalhead, Family Man, IT Admin & Anti-Theist \m/
« Reply #45 on: September 29, 2011, 05:28:18 AM »
What doesn't bring me peace: the Cisco CLI, well at least studying for the fucking CCNA examine, anyways.

Try AS400 some time. I despise it with a vengeance.
The truth doesn't give a shit about our feelings.

Offline rickymooston

« Reply #46 on: September 29, 2011, 07:34:37 AM »
Would it help if I told you that I frequently ssh into a real machine?  I might play with an android tablet - just to be a fucking rebel!

A real rebel would go for the Blackberry playbook.  ;)

Knowledge of the Linux command line shows how sexy one is...  ;)

That's just UNIX.

It pays real money and I'm sorry to say, having worked for some of Cisco's competitors, that Cisco routers power LINUX networks too.

I've never used their CLI but that is at another layer. Its a very successful company.
But yeah, Linux is hot.
"i had learn to focus i what i could do rather what i couldn't do", Rick Hansen when asked about getting a disabling spinal cord injury at 15. He continues to raise money for spinal cord research and inspire peoople to "make a difference". He doesnt preach any religion.

Offline rickymooston

« Reply #47 on: September 29, 2011, 07:35:46 AM »

Scripting what?

Offline Omen

• Professor
  • Darwins +105/-15
« Reply #48 on: September 29, 2011, 11:00:14 AM »
Speaking of android tablets:

http://www.woot.com/

Motorola XOOM 10.1” 32GB Android Tablet with Wi-Fi

On the broadcom thing, the company never released the details on the drivers, so everything had to be reconstructed backwards for the drivers used in linux.  The process for the fix involved using a wrapper in order to software emulate certain driver components that were not directly possible.  I worked on this for several days, with my only success measured in being able to turn on the 'wifi' light'.

A fresh install of Ubuntu was able to get it working instantly. <3 Ubuntu.

Offline Ambassador Pony

• You keep what you kill.
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +71/-4
  • illuminatus
« Reply #49 on: September 29, 2011, 02:59:02 PM »
What is a lynux?

You believe evolution and there is no evidence for that. Where is the fossil record of a half man half ape. I've only ever heard about it in reading.

Offline violatedsmurf80

• Graduate
  • Darwins +2/-0
« Reply #50 on: September 29, 2011, 03:15:57 PM »
Speaking of android tablets:

http://www.woot.com/

Motorola XOOM 10.1” 32GB Android Tablet with Wi-Fi

On the broadcom thing, the company never released the details on the drivers, so everything had to be reconstructed backwards for the drivers used in linux.  The process for the fix involved using a wrapper in order to software emulate certain driver components that were not directly possible.  I worked on this for several days, with my only success measured in being able to turn on the 'wifi' light'.

A fresh install of Ubuntu was able to get it working instantly. <3 Ubuntu.

Are professor had been task to at his other job to reprogram some chip set but the problem was that the air force deigned them, they could not find the, and they were pass coded. He told us he work on them for 2 days then gave the problem to us to figure out and told us that any one that could get them reprogrammed he would give us an A for the semester. Three of us finally got them done about a two weeks ago.

Offline Persephone

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +7/-0
  • Jamie want big boom.
« Reply #51 on: September 29, 2011, 05:04:04 PM »
good beer
dark chocolate
resting against a large tree
a quiet house
a new book
long walks
stargazing
geological formations
the sound of rain on the roof
falling asleep with the one I love
Sheldon: Ever since you started having regular intercourse your mind has lost its edge. You should reflect on that.
Leonard: Well, Einstein had a busy sex life.
Sheldon: Yes, but he never unified gravity with the other forces. If he hadn't been such a hounddog we'd all have time machines.

Offline Chronos

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +130/-6
  • Born without religion
    • Marking Time
« Reply #52 on: October 02, 2011, 06:25:53 PM »
On a different note, one that matches the OP, I am now leaving Houston ... with less joy and peace.
John 14:2 :: In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.

Offline Samuelxcs

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +6/-18
  • The oldest and strongest emotion of humans is fear
    • Fallen Angels
« Reply #53 on: October 03, 2011, 05:34:57 AM »
What brings me peace is good health, no hunger and people not staring at me.
"The stupid neither forgive nor forget; the naïve forgive and forget; the wise forgive but do not forget."
-Thomas Szasz

Offline Whateverman

• Reader
  • Darwins +6/-5
    • Skeptical Minds & Rational Thinkers
« Reply #54 on: October 03, 2011, 07:48:53 AM »
Literally, what brings you the combination of joy and peace
Camping, hiking, and being surrounded by nature.
- SMRT Admin

Compared to this thread, retarded midget wrestling for food stamps is the pinnacle of human morality.
-- Ambassador Pony

Offline Graybeard

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +546/-19
  • Is this going somewhere?
« Reply #55 on: October 03, 2011, 09:25:20 AM »
I’m relatively happy as I am and am not given to great happiness or great sadness. I used to be unremittingly optimistic but a few problems sorted that out for me and I saw things a little more realistically.

A few things have given me great pleasure and these have been a “light off, light on” moment. One thing was simply being told the answer to a strange thing has puzzled and still puzzles art historians. I was given the answer with evidence and proof so clear that I was fascinated by the research and undeniable conclusion. I felt privileged. I now am waiting for the researcher to publish, but his attitude is, “Let them spout artsy-fartsy garbage, we know the truth."

Another moment of great pleasure was the change in one of my sons who had been ill and suddenly, really suddenly, recovered; the worry that beset me lifted. “Light off, light on” moment.

Both of these were points where I had had a worry (-1) and then I was back to normal (0) – the relief at being normal was tangible.

To me, this is know as “The Davis[1] Effect” Davis worked in the same job as I, and was average to good at the work. He drank hard and worked hard and had a mildly chaotic life. One day, he did not appear, his ‘phone went unanswered and people were sent round to his house to see if he were OK – he wasn’t there. None of his friends knew anything. 3 months later, he was found working in a bar 200 miles away. He had had a breakdown and just disappeared. My employer invited him back; he accepted and a year later he was promoted, although basically he was simply the same worker that he had been before the event.

Analysing the Davis episode: we had a score of zero before the breakdown, a score of -1 when he disappeared and a score of zero when he came back, but such was the change from worry and concern to normality, that he was considered wonderful and was promoted. (He was a good boss and nobody objected but he basically had not changed, and if he had not had the breakdown, then he probably would not have been promoted.)

So the best happiness is when something that was wrong becomes normal. People like normal.

1. name changed to protect the innocent
Nobody says “There are many things that we thought were natural processes, but now know that a god did them.”