Author Topic: What brings you peace?  (Read 1606 times)

Offline Omen

• Professor
  • Darwins +105/-15
  • One of the fucking bad guys; not friendly, tiger!
What brings you peace?
« on: September 22, 2011, 02:02:11 PM »
Literally, what brings you the combination of joy and peace on a mental metaphorical level? Zen? Enlightenment? ( Whatever you want to call it )

I have many such moments, from mundane to out of the ordinary, such as a ritualistic bowel movement in the early morning hours while reading a sales ad for a local computer supply store or completing a model I've been building ( generally completing anything I do with my hands related to my hobbies ).
"Religious faith is the antithesis to knowledge, it is the opposition to education, and it has to act in animosity against the free exchange of ideas.  Why? Because those things are what cause harm to a religions place in society most." - Me

Offline BaalServant

• Graduate
  • Darwins +8/-1
  • Praise Ba'al really hard!
Re: What brings you peace?
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2011, 03:21:38 PM »
Learning something always does the trick.  Being outside always works, too. 
.   ###$$$$$$$$$$$$###
   ################
   ###  PRAISE BA'AL  ####
 #### FOR THE ALTAR ####
##### OF BA'AL!!!!!! #####
####################

Offline curiousgirl

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +22/-0
  • Inquisitive agnostic atheist
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2011, 03:39:13 PM »
My family, music, laughter, epiphanies...
"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence."-Carl Sagan

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +169/-6
  • You're wearing the juice, aren't you?"
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2011, 09:37:57 AM »
I'd probably define it as "contentment"  :)

a happy cat on my lap  ;D  learning something new,  eating something good and spicy with a good beer and in the presence of my husband....
"There is no use in arguing with a man who can multiply anything by the square root of minus 1" - Pirates of Venus, ERB

http://clubschadenfreude.wordpress.com/

Offline rev45

• Reader
  • Darwins +37/-2
  • Did your parents raise you to be an idiot?
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2011, 10:15:57 AM »
Sitting next to a lake or flowing stream near sunset with no one around.  Just me and my thoughts.

That time when the adrenaline wears off after playing a show and I get to reflect on how people actually enjoy my music.  Feels good man.
Here read a book.  It's free.
http://www.literatureproject.com/

Could a being create the fifty billion galaxies, each with two hundred billion stars, then rejoice in the smell of burning goat flesh?   Ron Patterson

Offline One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +294/-37
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2011, 10:21:58 AM »
Listening to the heartbeat of someone I love
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

A.K.A.: Blaziken/Lucifer/All In One/Orion.

Offline plethora

• Fellow
  • Darwins +60/-1
  • Metalhead, Family Man, IT Admin & Anti-Theist \m/
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2011, 10:23:26 AM »
1) Being with my beautiful wife and daughter.

My little family is a very happy one. The 3 of us laugh so hard it hurts sometimes  :D

2) My band and my music

Writing tunes on my guitar at home and playing the music I love with my band mates who are all amazing just makes me so happy.

... and then there's the little things. Watching a good movie at home, going for long walks in the park, sipping a good cup of Joe ... ah, yes.
The truth doesn't give a shit about our feelings.

Offline Omen

• Professor
  • Darwins +105/-15
  • One of the fucking bad guys; not friendly, tiger!
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2011, 10:44:59 AM »
eating something good and spicy with a good beer and in the presence of my husband....

Ooo.. I agree on that one, although minus your husband ( I'm sure he's a nice fellow ).
"Religious faith is the antithesis to knowledge, it is the opposition to education, and it has to act in animosity against the free exchange of ideas.  Why? Because those things are what cause harm to a religions place in society most." - Me

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +189/-8
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2011, 11:14:19 AM »
Fresh homemade strawberry pie. :D
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline violatedsmurf80

• Graduate
  • Darwins +2/-0
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2011, 11:22:41 AM »

My little family is a very happy one. The 3 of us laugh so hard it hurts sometimes  :D

I agree with that but I also think hunting brings peace or sleep, yes sleep peaceful sleep
« Last Edit: September 23, 2011, 11:24:59 AM by violatedsmurf80 »
When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross.”--- Sinclair Lewis

I believe there is something out there watching over us. Unfortunately, it's the government.

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +169/-6
  • You're wearing the juice, aren't you?"
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2011, 12:13:31 PM »
eating something good and spicy with a good beer and in the presence of my husband....

Ooo.. I agree on that one, although minus your husband ( I'm sure he's a nice fellow ).

endorphins and alcohol and a significant other of your choice  ;D
"There is no use in arguing with a man who can multiply anything by the square root of minus 1" - Pirates of Venus, ERB

http://clubschadenfreude.wordpress.com/

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +335/-85
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2011, 12:38:54 PM »
I have yet to experience "joy" and "peace" either entwined or separate; however, I was happy once.  However, it only lasted a few minutes[1].

-Nam
 1. I am not talking about sex, it was something so much more simpler than that
This thread is about lab-grown dicks, not some mincy, old, British poof of an actor. 

Let's get back on topic, please.

Offline Zankuu

• Reader
  • Darwins +135/-3
    • I am a Forum Guide
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2011, 01:51:12 PM »
Good thread Omen.

This takes the cake: Waking up at 4am and taking my Italian mistress out in the open country road for some curves and twisties. There's just something about being the only person on the road with the calm countryside, seamless shifting, rumbling exhaust, and melding with the bike in a tight corner that suspends me in both excitement and serenity.

velky is right about the endorphin aid and cats too! The combination of late night muscle fatigue from a workout, an endorphin high, and soft sheets makes for an excellent zen-like doze off into sleep. And I'm not a cat person, but I'll be damned if having a content cat purring on your chest while you're falling asleep isn't an uber-calming, heart rate slowing experience!

And simple things like closing my eyes and listening to classical music will also change my state of mind, but it isn't on the same level as the other two instances above.
Leave nothing to chance. Overlook nothing. Combine contradictory observations. Allow yourself enough time. -Hippocrates of Cos

Offline Chronos

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +130/-6
  • Born without religion
    • Marking Time
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2011, 08:00:24 PM »

Haha! Very similar. Normally on each trip I take to Houston, the first meal is at Tony's Pentecostal Mexican Restaurant, a bible verse, a margarita (or two), food and my girlfriend. Of course, it's not so much the location but the company.  ;)

But, when I was much younger, it was to hike up the mountain after a deep snow and lay in the snow on the top of the mountain, hearing absolutely nothing. Since having had continuous tinnitus since 1991, it is not an experience that I have been able to recreate and enjoy.

John 14:2 :: In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.

Offline Ambassador Pony

• You keep what you kill.
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +71/-4
  • illuminatus
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2011, 08:51:43 PM »
^ makes the memory that much sweeter.

I do many things, many of the same as you kidz, but one thing I have found quite fulfilling and zen lately is learning Japanese.   

You believe evolution and there is no evidence for that. Where is the fossil record of a half man half ape. I've only ever heard about it in reading.

Offline Historicity

• Reader
  • Darwins +80/-2
  • (Rama, avatar of Vishnu)
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2011, 09:16:20 PM »
Swimming in the Atlantic.  I haven't done it significantly for a couple years.  When I am in proper condition I have no problem swimming slowly for a couple hours.  Some of the time I swim with my eyes closed.  I watch the beach and people walking far away (200 yards).  They rarely see me.

When I spend one or two 20 minute sessions out in the ocean the salt pulls water out of my skin and from my pores.  In the tropics athlete's foot which also grows in the crotch is a problem.  The salt water kills all fungus.  The bacteria in my pores -- the normal human ecosystem of bacteria -- are replaced by ocean bacteria.  For a week after when I sweat I don't smell human.  I smell like the sea.

I become one with the sea.

Offline shnozzola

« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2011, 09:38:14 AM »
^^^  Cool that.            For me, its dirt.   Getting my feet or hands dirty.  Digging in the dirt.  Smelling good dirt.  Planting something.
“The best thing for being sad," replied Merlin, beginning to puff and blow, "is to learn something."  ~ T. H. White
  The real holy trinity:  onion, celery, and bell pepper ~  all Cajun Chefs

Offline wright

• Reader
  • Darwins +83/-1
  • "Sleep like a log, snore like a chainsaw."
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2011, 10:15:11 AM »
Ooohh; nice threeaad...

Surfing: the smell, taste and immense flexing power of the waves. That feeling persists for minutes after I get out of the water, like echoes flowing back and forth along my nerves.

The sun-warmed fur and purr of a friendly cat: the absolute trust of an animal (especially relatively cautious ones, like most cats) is deeply moving and humbling.

The scent of pittosporum http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pittosporum: I grew up smelling it, so it triggers an entire cascade of good childhood memories.

Watching a sunrise: the subtle shifts of color and light in land and sky.

Gardening: pulling weeds from between bricks, shaping a hedge or tree, raking up leaves.

Spending time with my immediate family and best friends.
Live a good life... If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. I am not afraid.
--Marcus Aurelius

Offline Catrissa

• Freshman
  • Darwins +1/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2011, 12:02:10 PM »
I'm new. I don't want this thread to end.

How many theists understand that atheists experience joy, beauty, profound connectedness, peace. One can make a statement to that effect, but hearing specific examples is quite poignant.

Offline One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +294/-37
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2011, 12:03:15 PM »
I'm new. I don't want this thread to end.

How many theists understand that atheists experience joy, beauty, profound connectedness, peace. One can make a statement to that effect, but hearing specific examples is quite poignant.

:S How does this relate to the OP?
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

Offline rickymooston

« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2011, 12:19:28 PM »
Literally, what brings you the combination of joy and peace on a mental metaphorical level? Zen? Enlightenment? ( Whatever you want to call it )

Nice question, if one ignores the "ritualistic bowel movement" part, . To me, it does make me wonder whether the question is sincere. All the same, perhaps the mental escape you get during that, is in fact very zen. Certainly the observation that this is zen is original, potentially.

I'd have to answer the question at different times in different ways.

I love designing software on the requirements level. Pacing back and fourth, while mulling over use cases in my mind's eye is something that gives me a lot of joy, its visually stimulating and gives me a lot of understanding of the system yet to be.

Being with my wife, doing anything at all, from cuddling to watch movies makes me feel at a sort of peace that's hard to beat.

Walking can be very zen for me.

I was in a crystal store yesterday. That was pretty zen. I liked the feeling one color of purple made me feel.
"i had learn to focus i what i could do rather what i couldn't do", Rick Hansen when asked about getting a disabling spinal cord injury at 15. He continues to raise money for spinal cord research and inspire peoople to "make a difference". He doesnt preach any religion.

Offline Emily

• Professor
  • Darwins +50/-0
« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2011, 12:19:58 PM »
What brings me peace? The two post important people in my life, my youngest sister and my husband, the sound and smell of rain and the leaves blowing in the wind, and a good cup of coffee.
"Great moments are born from great opportunities." Herb Brooks

I edit a lot of my posts. The reason being it to add content or to correct grammar/wording. All edits to remove wording get a strike through through the wording.

Offline Catrissa

• Freshman
  • Darwins +1/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2011, 01:10:29 PM »

You are suggesting my post was off topic. I think I can agree, now that I read it again. My comments were unrelated to the original post, and I apologize for derailing the thread. I will try not to make that error if I post in the future.

Offline One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +294/-37
« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2011, 01:13:48 PM »

You are suggesting my post was off topic. I think I can agree, now that I read it again. My comments were unrelated to the original post, and I apologize for derailing the thread. I will try not to make that error if I post in the future.

You didn't derail the thread but yeah, you should be more careful in the future
We choose our own gods.

Offline Catrissa

• Freshman
  • Darwins +1/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2011, 02:06:25 PM »

You didn't derail the thread but yeah, you should be more careful in the future

Let me try a redo of my debut post:

I am so taken by reading people's individual expressions (on this thread) of how they experience joy and peace that I am compelled to say I don't want the thread to end.

I am also reminded of a conversation with a Christian who said atheists were incapable of experiencing contentment. This thread would provide evidence to the contrary.

To answer the question in the original post:

I experience a joy and peace in the "afterglow" of finishing a great piece of literature.

Making dinner with just the right music on, nursing a glass of wine--after a day with some exercise and beautiful weather. All feels right with the world, and my family, in those moments.

Offline rickymooston

« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2011, 05:10:47 PM »
Welcome to this forum.

I am also reminded of a conversation with a Christian who said atheists were incapable of experiencing contentment.

Christian's often say a lot of things without thinking. They sometimes think GodTM invented marriage, funerals, morals and even art appreciation.

I experience a joy and peace in the "afterglow" of finishing a great piece of literature.

Making dinner with just the right music on, nursing a glass of wine--after a day with some exercise and beautiful weather. All feels right with the world, and my family, in those moments.

You are a natural romantic. ||666|| I like that.

Check out this thread in another forum. It builds in the same lines. Some of the users there are atheists but all ranges of people have contributed.
http://isgodimaginary.com/forum/index.php/topic,38191.0.html
"i had learn to focus i what i could do rather what i couldn't do", Rick Hansen when asked about getting a disabling spinal cord injury at 15. He continues to raise money for spinal cord research and inspire peoople to "make a difference". He doesnt preach any religion.

Offline RaymondKHessel

• Reader
  • Darwins +73/-3
  • Born with insight, and a raised fist.
« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2011, 07:02:03 PM »
Peace is where it's at yo.

Peaceful music, making music of any kind (even loud and obnoxious music), hammocks, hottubs, sunsets, certain recreational poisons, bodies of water (pretty ones obviously - no rust puddles or retention ponds 'cos thems is grodey n' junk), the following hour spent in bed after making hot sweet dirty monkey luuuuv like two crazed moon lemurs, being loved in general is pretty damn swell, getting the full service hour long body massage with the scented candles and mellow music, the company of good people who I trust and respect, camping someplace with a view, anyplace quiet with a view and a good book, scuba diving, low-key dive bars with great juke boxes and no assholes, mountain rivers, mountain forests, mountain streams, mountains in general (I live by the beach)... beaches in the rain, rain on the roof, sitting on the roof in the rain (sans lightning rod), snowy places at night when it's dead quiet, those giant walk-through gardens you see at rich people's homes on T.V. with the fountains and ponds and little bridges going over creeks n' stuff...

When the weather is pleasant, and there's no active drama or things that need doing, I can literally be almost anywhere and find peace, even in something as simple as people watching.

Blah blah blah. Verily I say unto thee, if one knows how to look, Peace can be found under nearly every stone and within all the crannies! For realz ya'll! Yea, it thriveth within the laughter of every smelly child and deposits it's passive seed within the tears of every baby water buffalo! Allow it to embrace you, envelop you within it's warm and gooey facets, each one pregnant with floppy possiblities! It's glorious!

Now if I could just make enough bread, enough so that myself and the people I care about wouldn't have to work these insanely high-stress, high-pressure jobs, I could spend a lot more time at peace or in the pursuit of it for me and mine. I spend too much time worrying about my people, too. So a decently puffy bank account would be the keenest, because life is loud and obnoxious and fucking pull-yer-hair-out stressfull at least 5 days a week lol, and I haven't had a vacation in 3 years... And I desperately need one man lol.

Constantly worrying about how to pay your bills or living in fear of your water heater breaking is like the anithesis of peace. But what's a single guy to do?

Gotta take the ungood with the double-plus good don'tchya know. Them's the breaks!

Anticipation is half the fun anyway, right?  :)

So whenever I'm not at work, I can usually be found actively pursuing my little biddy slices of peace and tanquility wherever I may find them. Because if I didn't, I'd end up on a permanent vacation to the land of Thorazine and labcoats, where the fine dining is served in styrofoam bowls and the deluxe suites consist of four rubber walls and a bucket. Which in itself is predictably peaceful I suppose, considering you'd spend most of your time doped to the gills and drooling on yourself, but hey, Peace ain't everything ya dig?

Now JOY. That's a different story. What can bring you JOY? REAL Joy that fills all the be-holed spaces in your soulish regions, those places where the emptyness and hollowosity of your burden of sin can be blown away in a hot steamy breath from the divine?

I'll tell you what can bring you real Joy my friends... Only faith in the great and glorious  Dionysus! For only a case of Robert Mondavi merlot and the blood of a virginal goat,
you too can be assured rockin' good times all throughout the season. Phonelines are open and we do accept all major credit cards, so please feel free to make a donation over the phone tonight if you are unable to reach a proper shrine!

Operators are standing by to take your donations and remember my brothers and sisters... We like the money that jingles; but we'd rather have the kind that folds.

Amen. And PEACE, bitches!
« Last Edit: September 24, 2011, 07:14:29 PM by RaymondKHessel »
Born with insight, and a raised fist.

Offline Brenda

• Student
  • Darwins +3/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #27 on: September 24, 2011, 07:12:04 PM »
Those few moments every night right before sleep. To be totally relaxed and completley alone with my thoughts does it for me :)

Offline RaymondKHessel

• Reader
  • Darwins +73/-3
  • Born with insight, and a raised fist.
« Reply #28 on: September 24, 2011, 07:17:09 PM »
Those few moments every night right before sleep. To be totally relaxed and completley alone with my thoughts does it for me :)

Ever date somebody who snores incredibly loud? lol... I had a 3 month span of my life where I was terrified to go to bed because I knew I'd be awoken by the sound of a thousand buzzsaws working their way through sheets of aluminum.

Those were 3 months of some damned unpeacefull sleep, let me tell you! Sure, they have earplugs, but it freaks me out not being able to hear, so... You know. It sucked. :laugh:
Born with insight, and a raised fist.