Author Topic: ANDERSON COOPER 9/22/2011  (Read 1186 times)

Offline brownrecluse

• Student
  • Darwins +1/-0
ANDERSON COOPER 9/22/2011
« on: September 21, 2011, 07:51:08 PM »
   On Thurs Sept 22nd Anderson Cooper's  360 on CNN  will feature a segment about the fundamentalist cult church that has been a blight on my hometown for decades, Fairhaven Baptist Church.  Please watch the show and show your support for the thousands of victims who have been emotionally, mentally, and physically tortured and abused by this organization.   This hits very close to home for me as several of my family members were members of this cult 25 years ago and they all still have serious emotional scars from the torment they suffered at the hands of the church leaders. 
   There is a facebook post from one of the young men in my hometown who shares some horrible graphic stories about what he underwent there..
http://www.facebook.com/#!/event.php?eid=287577837924169
  Thanks!
« Last Edit: September 21, 2011, 07:53:07 PM by brownrecluse »

Offline flapdoodle64

• Graduate
  • Darwins +47/-1
    • My Movie Reviews
Re: ANDERSON COOPER 9/22/2011
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2011, 10:20:16 AM »
My biggest problem with religion and  the delusion that biblegod is real is that in 21st century USA there is a massive false postulate that religion is benign/harmless. 

Sometimes religion is benign or harmless but lots of times it isn't.  It should be examined on a case-by-case basis and should be subjected to at least a minimal level of scrutiny.  But that is the opposite of how 21st century USA is run.

If we could get the religionists and power brokers of the USA to abandon that false postulate things would be a lot better for all of us. 

:(

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +177/-8
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2011, 11:24:06 AM »
I know there is probably many answers to this question but how the f*ck do people get themselves into these kinds of situations?
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline brownrecluse

• Student
  • Darwins +1/-0
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2011, 03:46:54 PM »
Nick,
  People get wrapped up in this stuff for several reasons.   One of the main reasons is because the church has a predatory nature and deliberately seeks out the weak and desperate and then tells them they have the answers to all of their problems.  The more desperate and destitute the people are, the easier they are to manipulate. 

Offline oversee

• Freshman
  • Darwins +0/-1
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2011, 07:41:49 PM »
I believe that people don't understand why things happen the way they do. They join these groups for the same reasons that people join gangs - because they want to belong. They want to feel taken care of. They don't want to feel alone. They want to feel like someone is watching out for them. They like the myth that there will a reward in the end for all their suffering. My husband had a aunt who had a facial deformity and she found solace in church. At least she could fool herself into believing that there was a reason she had her deformity. It is easier than to believe that you just were unlucky.
We have a Mormon neighbor. Once we started talking politics. He said he didn't know who he was going to vote for. He was going to ask the people at church who he should vote for. I'm not saying that there aren't Mormons who think for themselves, but in this particular case, I thought it was sad that he didn't think he could make his own decisions, which I think is another reason people join these groups - they let someone else take responsibility, so they can act like a child again.

Offline brownrecluse

• Student
  • Darwins +1/-0
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2011, 09:21:18 PM »
  Well I watched the segment on AC360..As soon as it is  online, I will post a link.  Has anyone else seen it? 
 IMO they barely scratched the surface of the evil commited by this cult. 

Offline brownrecluse

• Student
  • Darwins +1/-0

Online Graybeard

• Darwins +460/-16
  • Is this going somewhere?
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2011, 05:09:20 PM »
Link expired, now at http://richarddawkins.net/videos/642...dly-discipline

Worth viewing parts 1 and 2.
RELIGION, n. A daughter of Hope and Fear, explaining to Ignorance the nature of the Unknowable. Ambrose Bierce

Offline monkeymind

• Fellow
  • Darwins +44/-4
  • I don't understand what I know about it!
    • How To Know If You Are A Real Christian
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2011, 05:21:12 PM »
Link expired, now at http://richarddawkins.net/videos/642...dly-discipline

Worth viewing parts 1 and 2.

WHOOPS! The page doesn't exist.
Truthfinder:the birds adapt and change through million of years in order to survive ,is that science, then cats should evolve also wings to better catch the birds
Mailbag:On a side note, back in college before my conversion, I actually saw a demon sitting next to me in critical thinking class.

Offline albeto

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +70/-1
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2011, 08:42:28 PM »
I believe that people don't understand why things happen the way they do. They join these groups for the same reasons that people join gangs - because they want to belong. They want to feel taken care of. They don't want to feel alone. They want to feel like someone is watching out for them. They like the myth that there will a reward in the end for all their suffering. My husband had a aunt who had a facial deformity and she found solace in church. At least she could fool herself into believing that there was a reason she had her deformity. It is easier than to believe that you just were unlucky.

I think you are spot on.  Giving a reason to suffering was big for me.  Huge.  I was willing to overlook a lot of the really creepy stuff for that.  That, and a sense of belonging.  Yep. 

Shit, so many wasted years. 

Offline oversee

• Freshman
  • Darwins +0/-1
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2011, 02:38:59 AM »
The fact that there didn't seem be a reason for suffering is what made me become an atheist. I thought about all those kids suffering with painful diseases or born with horrible deformities or blind or deaf and I could only think of three explanations:
1. There is no god and there is no reason why things happen the way they do. It is just chance.
2. There is a god but he enjoys making people suffer.
3. There is a god but he isn't omnipotent so he can't do anything to stop the suffering.

Offline Chronos

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +120/-6
  • Born without religion
    • Marking Time
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2011, 07:44:22 AM »
I guess the media companies actually do not want anyone to watch the videos they produce.

CNN can't even maintain its own programming on its own website?

John 14:2 :: In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.