Author Topic: Hearing gods Voice  (Read 2980 times)

Offline Historicity

• Reader
  • Darwins +80/-2
  • (Rama, avatar of Vishnu)
Re: Hearing gods Voice
« Reply #29 on: November 07, 2011, 09:31:25 AM »
Thank you, Kaboose, for presenting yourself as a rambling, fuzzy, airhead.

And good strategy, too.  You kept it so diffuse that there was no hard target for someone to strike at.

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +645/-27
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #30 on: November 07, 2011, 09:53:24 AM »
I think that God does speak to people. and people who talk to Him aren't delusional. like honestly i think that's very cruel to think about people.

If it is true, is it cruel to think?

if you had a best friend who was a christian and you knew he wasn't delusional,

If he was a xian, he would be delusional.

Try this: If you had a best friend who was a Hindu and you knew he wasn't delusional, then what would you say when he talks about prayer?

God enjoys talking to people.

Sure he does.  god is a Chatty Cathy.  Can't shut him up.

Now the difference between the fakes and the reals souly depends on the truths of the heart from where the prayer came from.

How can anyone tell that?

Like a murderer who says God said to kill someone clearly has issues they need to get checked,

Maybe god was testing some guy's faith, like abraham?  Or, what if god actually wanted someone killed?  It's not like it would be a first. Who are you to disregard what god is telling you or to judge what god is telling someone else?  If god has a plan, that does not mean it is for you to know all of it or to judge it.  And if you are judging god's plan based on your own morality, well, then you are behaving just like an atheist.

so if i heard a voice in my head (usually in my own voice.)

naturally.  god's voice sounds just like yours.  That is because you have projected yourself as god. 

How would you tell your own ideas from god's?

things like that, then i would know they are from God.

maybe.  or maybe from satan.  Or maybe just your own ideas. No way to tell them apart, really.

I mean I personally believe that God plants the general idea and allows us to go about it however we want.

yeah.  I've never seen god as a micromanager.  Except when it comes to stuff like, who is pure, and how to treat your slaves, or how to treat rapists or what the priests should wear...

I don't see how kind and unselfish thoughts make me delusional.

They don't, per se.  It's when you start attributing them to an imaginary being that is delusional.

Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +169/-6
  • You're wearing the juice, aren't you?"
« Reply #31 on: November 07, 2011, 11:31:01 AM »
I think that God does speak to people. and people who talk to Him aren't delusional. like honestly i think that's very cruel to think about people. if you had a best friend who was a christian and you knew he wasn't delusional, then what would you say when he talks about prayer?
Kaboose, so what?  Your claim that someone who talks to invisible imaginary beings isn’t delusional is just one more attempt by a theist who has no evidence to redefine a word.  By definition, thinking that there are gods and things that do magic is quite delusional.  If  I altered your claim and said “if you had a best friend who was a believer in fairies” this would indicate he believes in soemthing that does not exist, aka delusional.  If he said that if I would just put a bowl of milk out at night, the brownies would repair my shoes, I would also think he was delusional.   
anyway, God enjoys talking to people. Now the difference between the fakes and the reals souly depends on the truths of the heart from where the prayer came from. Like a murderer who says God said to kill someone clearly has issues they need to get checked, but as it says in the bible "All good things come from God."
more feel good baseless claims.  And more claims of how we can tell who “really” hears from god by the “heart”.  You are just trying to use the usual excuse of a Christian, “but but, God would only tell them to do *good* things. Really, honest.”  Circular convenient reasoning.  All things come from god, per your bible which you are so ignorant of, even evil things. 
so if i heard a voice in my head (usually in my own voice.) saying like go help so and so picking up the things they dropped or why don't i sit with the kid who is all alone and be his friend... things like that, then i would know they are from God. I mean I personally believe that God plants the general idea and allows us to go about it however we want. I don't see how kind and unselfish thoughts make me delusional.
They don’t. thinking they come from some magical imaginary being does.  What if I said I got “kind unselfish thoughts” from Amun-Ra?  What if I said *you* got those thoughts from a god not of your choosing? It seems that as is usually the case, the particular theist can’t possibly think that they are wrong. 
and especially if it's not even always when i'm talking to God. there are a lot of aspects that you are missing from your points btw. And you know, God doesn't always tell me to do things that i would want to do. nothing bad obviously, but something other than doing something i enjoy and rather doing something for someone else. Also just saying 1 more thing, God doesn't always answer prayers in the ways we want Him to. Sometimes He will like straight up, but sometimes He takes a different route. But i mean you have all been discussing something you don't believe in. i think that's interesting. Well just figured a christian figure needed to be placed into this subject since this was about God basically.
  And more of the usual excuses about prayer from a Christian, which demonstrates his ignorance about his own holy book.  God never says that we might be told to “wait” or that God would do what he thought best rather than what was requested.  It says that all prayers will be answered quickly and positively.  It’s that simple and any other answer made up by a Christian is simply an excuse since you know how your god and bible fails in reality. 
"There is no use in arguing with a man who can multiply anything by the square root of minus 1" - Pirates of Venus, ERB

http://clubschadenfreude.wordpress.com/

Offline pingnak

« Reply #32 on: November 07, 2011, 12:40:07 PM »
Why not 'Hearing voices and attributing them to god'? 

I think it would be more accurate.

Offline kaboose

• Freshman
  • Darwins +4/-2
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #33 on: November 08, 2011, 01:16:33 AM »
Can you prove the thoughts that i think are my own? I do know that i have seen and heard some crazy things. some not even possible, but true. If i were to tell you a true story about people not getting touched by point blank gun shots, would you have to discredit them on the basis that you cannot believe that because that is beyond your comprehension? because there are a lot of things in the universe that are beyond our comprehension yet we believe in them still. So what is your basis for disproving that God doesn't talk to people besides "he is imaginary". like what's to stop me from saying that the Big bang isn't imaginary? i can't see it. i see no evidence that that in fact happened. i mean by a christian standpoint, i don't know how God created the universe, He could have done it like the big bang, or some other way. but for now i don't really see any evidence explaining how humans came to be because of random chance. so atheism doesn't really prove much to me. but when it comes to God talking to people, like if you studied the bible you'd know that TIMES WERE DIFFERENT BACK THEN. Nowadays God still does things the same, but things were different. When you see the times when God would will entire cities to be destroyed that was because He was trying to protect His people from the people who turned away. Why wouldn't He be with His followers? and when you say that maybe He was testing a man to see if he'd kill someone is absolutely against what the bible says. For one: times were different back then with sacrifices, but that doesn't mean God was cruel. we live in a completely different society. 2: God does not tempt. He does not test us beyond our abilities. He wouldn't test a man who would fail like that. read 1 Chorinthians 10:13 if you want proof that that is said in the bible. Feel free to nitpick at this all you want, but my final point is that God can and does speak  to people who listen to Him. and to all of those ridiculous comments on the murderous man, God doesn't test us to that extent, and that would be more of temptation which is a demon thing.

Online Aaron123

• Fellow
  • Darwins +77/-1
« Reply #34 on: November 08, 2011, 01:29:19 AM »
The above post is little more than solipsism, appeal to incredulity, appeal to ignorance, appeal to the god of the gaps, and lots of unsupported claims and assertions.

If you're going to make claims, then back them up with evidence.
Being a Christian, I've made my decision. That decision offers no compromise; therefore, I'm closed to anything else.

Offline changeling

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +15/-0
« Reply #35 on: November 08, 2011, 06:49:32 AM »
Kaboose has gotten four plus Darwins because he said he was going to
wait to reply until after he had a chance to study the subject.

What a dissappointment that he learned nothing from his study.
And he obviously has never read his bible.
It is full of God testing people to their distruction, and demanding child sacrifice.

I know, times were different back then.
The level of dumb they have to sell, is only made remotely possible by the level of flocking their sheep are willing to do in the name of rewards for no thought. quote: Kin Hell

"Faith is the enemy of evidence, for when we know the truth, no faith is required." Graybeard

Offline Dante

• Reader
  • Darwins +70/-9
  • Hedonist Extraordinaire
« Reply #36 on: November 08, 2011, 07:40:27 AM »
One would think an omnipresent god wouldn't have such a difficult go of it in these different times. Did he get tired of sacrifices? Did the sacrifices burning stench smell more aromatic than they do today? Too many iron chariots, perhaps?

i mean by a christian standpoint, i don't know how God created the universe, He could have done it like the big bang, or some other way.

Or it could have happened naturally, with no god required, exactly like everything else happens in this universe.

The odds, kaboose, are not in your favor.
Actually it doesn't. One could conceivably be all-powerful but not exceptionally intelligent.

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +645/-27
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #37 on: November 08, 2011, 08:41:17 AM »
Hi kaboose

I wanted to read your last post, but it was not easy on my eyes, so I gave up about 1/3 of the way through.

It would help people read your posts, thus improve your communication, if you broke up your text with paragraphs. 

regards,
Screwtape

Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Offline C

• Graduate
  • Darwins +26/-0
  • Counter-Theist Taskforce
« Reply #38 on: November 08, 2011, 08:54:16 AM »
Can you prove the thoughts that i think are my own?

..Um, you're thinking those thoughts are you not? Nothing else involved.

I do know that i have seen and heard some crazy things.

Like?

some not even possible, but true. If i were to tell you a true story about people not getting touched by point blank gun shots, would you have to discredit them on the basis that you cannot believe that because that is beyond your comprehension?

...Are you stupid or are you just lying more? Have you ever seen an actual gun? Zeus almighty, I'd believe that people weren't killed by a point blank gun shot if the rounds were blanks or stupidity can actually manifest as a force field.

because there are a lot of things in the universe that are beyond our comprehension yet we believe in them still.

I hold a 9mm, a Beretta M9 if you wish, right to your head. It is loaded with actual bullets that penetrate bone or shatter once inside your body. I pull the trigger. You die. The End. Nothing too magical about that.

So what is your basis for disproving that God doesn't talk to people besides "he is imaginary". like what's to stop me from saying that the Big bang isn't imaginary? i can't see it. i see no evidence that that in fact happened. i mean by a christian standpoint, i don't know how God created the universe, He could have done it like the big bang, or some other way. but for now i don't really see any evidence explaining how humans came to be because of random chance. so atheism doesn't really prove much to me. but when it comes to God talking to people, like if you studied the bible you'd know that TIMES WERE DIFFERENT BACK THEN. Nowadays God still does things the same, but things were different. When you see the times when God would will entire cities to be destroyed that was because He was trying to protect His people from the people who turned away. Why wouldn't He be with His followers? and when you say that maybe He was testing a man to see if he'd kill someone is absolutely against what the bible says. For one: times were different back then with sacrifices, but that doesn't mean God was cruel. we live in a completely different society. 2: God does not tempt. He does not test us beyond our abilities. He wouldn't test a man who would fail like that. read 1 Chorinthians 10:13 if you want proof that that is said in the bible. Feel free to nitpick at this all you want, but my final point is that God can and does speak  to people who listen to Him. and to all of those ridiculous comments on the murderous man, God doesn't test us to that extent, and that would be more of temptation which is a demon thing.

Summary of the block of words above: Preaching.
The Second C

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +169/-6
  • You're wearing the juice, aren't you?"
« Reply #39 on: November 08, 2011, 11:12:09 AM »
Can you prove the thoughts that i think are my own?
Whoop! Solipsism here we come! 
I do know that i have seen and heard some crazy things. some not even possible, but true. If i were to tell you a true story about people not getting touched by point blank gun shots, would you have to discredit them on the basis that you cannot believe that because that is beyond your comprehension?
I would require evidence because I know Christians can and do lie.  I would need to know where the shooter and target were standing, the weapon, etc.  You know, actual facts, not nonsense.
because there are a lot of things in the universe that are beyond our comprehension yet we believe in them still.
and again, this is no reason to claim that some supernatural being invented by xenophobic sheep herders is real.
So what is your basis for disproving that God doesn't talk to people besides "he is imaginary".
That’s quite enough.  Many theists claim that their god talks to them and they claim that God has told them good *and* bad things to do in his name.  We have murders all of the time claiming this, that doctors who perform abortions should be killed, that children should be killed, etc, etc.  And unfortunately for you, you all have the same evidence, only subjective claims with nothing else.  Shall we accept that *all* people who claim to hear god are telling the truth? If not, please do show how we can tell the difference.  Do we require them to swear to this god that is the “truth”?  Shall we splash holy water on them and see it burns them?  An exorcism?  Because your claim that “God would only say “good” things” is ludicrous and dependent on your modern view point since your god has often said many things what we now would consider bad things, like, oh, commit genocide in his name.
like what's to stop me from saying that the Big bang isn't imaginary? i can't see it. i see no evidence that that in fact happened.
Then that is your problem since there is evidence it did happen.  This is called willful ignorance, caboose.  You use the same science that supports the BBT every single day, you hypocrite.
i mean by a christian standpoint, i don't know how God created the universe, He could have done it like the big bang, or some other way. but for now i don't really see any evidence explaining how humans came to be because of random chance.
More willful ignorance.  How charming.  No one claims “random chance”. 
so atheism doesn't really prove much to me.
Atheism isn’t suppose to “prove much” other than demonstrating that there is a good reason for not believing in gods.  You have yet to show evidence that gods exist. 
but when it comes to God talking to people, like if you studied the bible you'd know that TIMES WERE DIFFERENT BACK THEN.
Oh yes, the excuse that times were “different”. They certainly were, with ignorant people claiming nonsense was real before science came on the scene. funny how your god disappears as soon as people aren’t taking myths as the end all and be all.
Nowadays God still does things the same, but things were different. When you see the times when God would will entire cities to be destroyed that was because He was trying to protect His people from the people who turned away. Why wouldn't He be with His followers?
Does things the same? Really?  Where are the smitings, kaboose?  poor thing, your god,  can’t even get it up to smite priests who are harming children.  Why isn’t he smiting North Korea for harming Christians?  Hmmm? 
and when you say that maybe He was testing a man to see if he'd kill someone is absolutely against what the bible says.
Nice excuse but you’ve just made your god to be a moron and not omniscient nor omnipotent since a god like that wouldn’t’ need to test *anyone*.   
For one: times were different back then with sacrifices, but that doesn't mean God was cruel. we live in a completely different society. 2: God does not tempt. He does not test us beyond our abilities.
What a pathetic lie.  If this was true, then I wouldn’t’ be an atheist would I? 
He wouldn't test a man who would fail like that. read 1 Chorinthians 10:13 if you want proof that that is said in the bible.
  The bible also says that followers of JC will be able to do miracles.  That’s not true either. 
Feel free to nitpick at this all you want, but my final point is that God can and does speak  to people who listen to Him. and to all of those ridiculous comments on the murderous man, God doesn't test us to that extent, and that would be more of temptation which is a demon thing.
Oh this doesn’t need nitpicked, it needs to be shown to be the utter pile of crap it is.  You have yet to show evidence of this and especially evidence that God isn’t responsible for people killing their children, etc.   The vague and nebulous nature that you must claims for your god and its communications demonstrates that anyone can claim any nonsense about your god and there’s nothing to allow you to show them “wrong” in your opinion.  It’s also pretty funny that your poor god either intentionally allows demons to “tempt” people or is powerless to prevent it.  What a impotent little deity. 

"There is no use in arguing with a man who can multiply anything by the square root of minus 1" - Pirates of Venus, ERB

http://clubschadenfreude.wordpress.com/

Offline ungod

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +15/-9
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #40 on: November 08, 2011, 11:32:44 AM »

some not even possible, but true. If i were to tell you a true story about people not getting touched by point blank gun shots, would you have to discredit them on the basis that you cannot believe that because that is beyond your comprehension?
...Are you stupid or are you just lying more? Have you ever seen an actual gun? Zeus almighty, I'd believe that people weren't killed by a point blank gun shot if the rounds were blanks or stupidity can actually manifest as a force field.
Actually, "blanks" ARE lethal at close range.

http://www.aintnowaytogo.com/godsGun.htm
Reason is a whore, the greatest enemy that faith has.
Faith must trample under foot all reason, sense, and understanding. - Martin Luther

"What good fortune for those in power that people do not think." - Hitler

Offline C

• Graduate
  • Darwins +26/-0
  • Counter-Theist Taskforce
« Reply #41 on: November 09, 2011, 04:49:54 AM »
^^^^^^

Very few fatal accidents occur that involve blanks, although you could get seriously injured by them many times. It would really depend on how close the person you're firing it at is and what part of the body you're firing at along with how clean the inside of your barrel is.

And lol, "Brother Nurse was a hero". -_-
« Last Edit: November 09, 2011, 04:51:44 AM by C »
The Second C

Offline Historicity

• Reader
  • Darwins +80/-2
  • (Rama, avatar of Vishnu)
« Reply #42 on: November 09, 2011, 07:03:49 AM »
like if you studied the bible you'd know that TIMES WERE DIFFERENT BACK THEN. Nowadays God still does things the same, but things were different. When you see the times when God would will entire cities to be destroyed that was because He was trying to protect His people from the people who turned away. Why wouldn't He be with His followers? and when you say that maybe He was testing a man to see if he'd kill someone is absolutely against what the bible says. For one: times were different back then with sacrifices, but that doesn't mean God was cruel. we live in a completely different society.

Situational ethics!

It does leave me wondering why God like blood sacrifices (blood sprinkled on the altar) and the sweet savor of burned meat ever at all.  It can't be a misconception people had about God because God would have had the subtle magic power to keep that out of the Bible.