Author Topic: What's the best way to push theism into the minority?  (Read 11033 times)

Offline lotanddaughters

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +49/-21
  • Artist: Simon Vouet (1633)
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
Re: What's the best way to push theism into the minority?
« Reply #261 on: October 19, 2011, 08:34:58 PM »
There is a guy at work that I've known for 10 years. He's a totally normal person. One day, we're talking about real estate and he says he owns property in New Mexico. I ask if he's ever seen a UFO. He says yah, lots. I try to clarify - "so you've seen blurry objects in the sky"? He says, "No, I've seen Pyramids 100 feet above me on my property rumbling the earth I was standing on". He then goes on to tell me that there are underground cities and aliens living amongst us and he's seen all of that. He has maps of these underground cities and has actually been shot at going into Govt. restricted areas. He's seen lizard people and knows that they actually eat humans - mostly homeless.

So, a guy I've known for 10 years opens up all of a sudden about all this alien stuff. I poke and prod and ask why he hasn't written books or exposed this and he says that the people who do are mysteriously missing or closely watched.

Do I believe him? Do I think he's a lunatic. Well, let's just say that I don't disbelieve him. He offered to show me around if I visit New Mexico. All I can say is, I'm open. I'd love to see this. So do I believe in teapots circling Alpha Centauri - no. I have a woo meter and there's a cutoff point. The claim becomes unbelieveable when there's enough evidence to support one way or another.

You are a fucking fool.

5:45 They are fond of listening to falsehood, of devouring anything forbidden. If they do come to thee, either judge between them, or decline to interfere. If thou decline, they cannot hurt thee in the least. If thou judge, judge in equity between them. For Allah loveth those who judge in equity.

You sure are.

Atheists number one argument against theists is to name call and belittle.

When it comes to idiots like you, that's all a nigga need.

Enough with your bullshit.
. . . Mr. Friday . . . that post really is golden.

Offline YY

• Graduate
  • Darwins +1/-21
« Reply #262 on: October 19, 2011, 08:37:16 PM »
There is a guy at work that I've known for 10 years. He's a totally normal person. One day, we're talking about real estate and he says he owns property in New Mexico. I ask if he's ever seen a UFO. He says yah, lots. I try to clarify - "so you've seen blurry objects in the sky"? He says, "No, I've seen Pyramids 100 feet above me on my property rumbling the earth I was standing on". He then goes on to tell me that there are underground cities and aliens living amongst us and he's seen all of that. He has maps of these underground cities and has actually been shot at going into Govt. restricted areas. He's seen lizard people and knows that they actually eat humans - mostly homeless.

So, a guy I've known for 10 years opens up all of a sudden about all this alien stuff. I poke and prod and ask why he hasn't written books or exposed this and he says that the people who do are mysteriously missing or closely watched.

Do I believe him? Do I think he's a lunatic. Well, let's just say that I don't disbelieve him. He offered to show me around if I visit New Mexico. All I can say is, I'm open. I'd love to see this. So do I believe in teapots circling Alpha Centauri - no. I have a woo meter and there's a cutoff point. The claim becomes unbelieveable when there's enough evidence to support one way or another.

You are a fucking fool.

5:45 They are fond of listening to falsehood, of devouring anything forbidden. If they do come to thee, either judge between them, or decline to interfere. If thou decline, they cannot hurt thee in the least. If thou judge, judge in equity between them. For Allah loveth those who judge in equity.

You sure are.

Atheists number one argument against theists is to name call and belittle.

When it comes to idiots like you, that's all a nigga need.

lovely

Offline YY

• Graduate
  • Darwins +1/-21
« Reply #263 on: October 19, 2011, 08:39:57 PM »
and you  still haven't shown that there is more hate in the various holy books than love.  Honestly, YY, for soeone who is so supposedly not a Christain, you certainly have to defend it a lot. 

I'm answering your question and you say I'm defending it? Man velkyn, you are a piece of work. I've shown the love. Please show me the hate that outnumbers the short list I've written. Or, why don't you just admit you were WRONG? Is that so hard?

So here is my short submission of passages that can be positive, beneficial, impactful teachings. There are more examples of loving teachings like these in the holy books than of hateful ones.

yep, keep going.  Declaring it so doesn't make it true.  One would think you'd have realized that by now.

I'm not simply declaring it. I'm reading and comprehending it.

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +703/-28
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #264 on: October 20, 2011, 09:34:30 AM »
While I find the 9/11 Truther phenomenon to be interesting, that is not the topic of this thread.  If you would like to continue that conversation, let me know and I will split it out into another thread.  This thread is "What's the best way to push theism into the minority?"  Let's please stick to that.

Thanks.
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Offline pingnak

« Reply #265 on: October 20, 2011, 01:34:44 PM »
Go with everyone's definition of what a 'True Christian' is, and we have ZERO Christians.

Get the liars to respond truthfully when polled.  That's an important bit.  Because every statistic for 'belief' is at least doubled by people who don't want to 'look bad' to some stranger with a notepad.  "Uh, yeah, I'm a good Christian an' I go to church ALL the time!  Dat's da ticket!"

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +169/-6
  • You're wearing the juice, aren't you?"
« Reply #266 on: October 24, 2011, 01:40:37 PM »
I'm answering your question and you say I'm defending it? Man velkyn, you are a piece of work. I've shown the love. Please show me the hate that outnumbers the short list I've written. Or, why don't you just admit you were WRONG? Is that so hard?
Why admit I'm wrong when I'm not?   ;D That's so silly, YY and such a pathetically transparent attempt at ending this discussion on your part. I've taken that particular dicussion back to the thread where it started (mea culpa for mixing that up), so you can deal with it there. 

And screwtape, if you'd like to split the junk about 9/11 out, that'd be fine with me or we can let it die. 
"There is no use in arguing with a man who can multiply anything by the square root of minus 1" - Pirates of Venus, ERB

http://clubschadenfreude.wordpress.com/