Author Topic: Study by Evolutionary Psychologist Reveals Atheists Have Slightly Higher IQs  (Read 13552 times)

Offline jetson

• Administrator
  • Darwins +444/-6
  • Meet George Jetson!
    • Jet Blog
Re: Study by Evolutionary Psychologist Reveals Atheists Have Slightly Higher IQs
« Reply #174 on: December 12, 2011, 11:23:00 PM »
Thought this was interesting...and yes, I know it does not mean that atheists are smarter!

http://www.calamitiesofnature.com/archive/?c=619

Offline jaimehlers

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +1134/-27
  • WWGHA Member
Re: Study by Evolutionary Psychologist Reveals Atheists Have Slightly Higher IQs
« Reply #175 on: December 12, 2011, 11:36:27 PM »
I think stuff like that shows not that atheists are 'naturally' smarter, but that religion tends to negatively affect intelligence.
Nullus In Verba, aka "Take nobody's word for it!"  If you can't show it, then you don't know it.

Offline jetson

• Administrator
  • Darwins +444/-6
  • Meet George Jetson!
    • Jet Blog
« Reply #176 on: December 13, 2011, 07:03:16 AM »
I think stuff like that shows not that atheists are 'naturally' smarter, but that religion tends to negatively affect intelligence.

So, perhaps all humans are equally intelligent at birth, and religion gets in the way of actually increasing intelligence as it they get more indoctrinated? 

Offline Historicity

• Reader
  • Darwins +80/-2
  • (Rama, avatar of Vishnu)
« Reply #177 on: December 13, 2011, 09:06:06 AM »
I think I read this material in Ethnic America (1981) by Thomas Sowell.

Around 1900 the first IQ tests were given.  This was before the Stanford Binet tests.  Different ethnic groups scored differently justifying the minute racial prejudices of the time.

The Irish had high IQs.  Jews had low IQs.  A Harvard researcher said, "This should put an end to the myth of the Jewish intellectual."

A (ethnic) Jewish (atheist) relative said to me, "They must have been Christian questions."

I said, spinning from Sowell that there was an ethnic difference at approaching information.  We all know how to do the multiple guess tests.  The instructions are Read the paragraph.  Then read the statements A, B, C and D and mark off the one that most closely fits the paragraph.  We all know that instead you read  A,B,C,D and read far enough into the paragraph till you have enough info to exactly fit one of them or at least to disqualify the other 3.  Then do not finish reading the paragraph, clear our mind of it as you jump to the next one.

Judaism is affected by the Old Testament.  They take a handbook on genocide and a solitary pagan god and apply the Magic Decoder Ring to contemplate to delve to a subtext that has goodness and love of humanity.  It is quite a mental exercise.

The Irish teach their offspring glibness.   A quick answer is almost as good as a right answer.  Correct is better but it has to be fast.

So I guess that muitiple choice tests were new then.  The Irish understood that you had to get to the end of the test as quickly and superficially as possible.  The Jews were reading the paragraphs and trying to get the deep meanings and never finished the test.