Author Topic: What will you say to Satan when you burn in hell?  (Read 5098 times)

Offline Historicity

• Reader
  • Darwins +80/-2
  • (Rama, avatar of Vishnu)
Re: What will you say to Satan when you burn in hell?
« Reply #58 on: October 04, 2011, 06:00:26 PM »
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/christian
Definition of CHRISTIAN
a : one who professes belief in the teachings of Jesus Christ

See also:

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/jerk?show=0&t=1317769674
Definition of JERK
a : an annoyingly stupid or foolish person b : an unlikable person; especially : one who is cruel, rude, or small-minded

Offline pingnak

« Reply #59 on: October 04, 2011, 10:37:52 PM »
Under 'Jerk' you left off C: one who professes belief in the teachings of Jesus Christ

Offline Historicity

• Reader
  • Darwins +80/-2
« Reply #60 on: October 04, 2011, 10:59:21 PM »
Under 'Jerk' you left off C: one who professes belief in the teachings of Jesus Christ
I invented nothing. Go ahead and check my links. 

Offline Anfauglir

• Darwins +407/-5
« Reply #61 on: October 05, 2011, 03:04:10 AM »
hell?  I think you are mistaken. You meant to say the Lake of fire perhaps?
Do you know anything about Christianity ?

Hello catbird, welcome to the forum.  I wonder if you would have a response to the point I made (copied below for your convenience).

About 150,000 people die every day.  Of those, two-thirds are not Christian, so that's a minimum of 100,000 straight off to hell.  Of the 50,000 that are nominally Christian (which includes Mormons, Quakers, Baptists, Catholics, LDSs, JWs......) let's err on the side of caution and say that about ten percent have (a) adopted the right denomination, and (b) have been strict enough adherents to whatver the right faith is to get to heaven.  So every day, that's 145,000 people going to hell - and just 5,000 going to heaven.

(Pause to consider just how loving and merciful Yahweh actually is).
Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid.
Why is it so hard for believers to answer a direct question?

Offline violatedsmurf80

• Graduate
  • Darwins +2/-0
« Reply #62 on: October 05, 2011, 07:06:59 AM »
Using the One True Bible, the KJV:

Just a question, How can the KJV be the one true bible i figure it would be the bible that Constantine had but together? What the Geneva Bible? Didnt king Henry VIII choose to part with the Roman Catholic Church was that he wanted to divorce his wife, which form the church of england or as we know it as christainty?
When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross.”--- Sinclair Lewis

I believe there is something out there watching over us. Unfortunately, it's the government.

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +169/-6
  • You're wearing the juice, aren't you?"
« Reply #63 on: October 05, 2011, 08:36:31 AM »
Using the One True Bible, the KJV:

Just a question, How can the KJV be the one true bible i figure it would be the bible that Constantine had but together? What the Geneva Bible? Didnt king Henry VIII choose to part with the Roman Catholic Church was that he wanted to divorce his wife, which form the church of england or as we know it as christainty?

well, golly don't you know that  God only speaks in English ;D and good ol' idiotic Americans (I'm assuming this, do Christians who speak other languages claims  this, without American missionary influence of course?) have glomed onto the KJV as the only right one? 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/King_James_Only_movement

« Last Edit: October 05, 2011, 08:38:46 AM by velkyn »
"There is no use in arguing with a man who can multiply anything by the square root of minus 1" - Pirates of Venus, ERB

http://clubschadenfreude.wordpress.com/

Offline Ivellios

• Reader
  • Darwins +52/-0
  • Seek and Ye Shall Find
« Reply #64 on: October 05, 2011, 10:01:49 AM »
No, Velkyn. You were never a Santaian. If you had been a Santaian you would have remained a Santaian..  1 Rudolph 2:Little children, it is the last hour; and as you have heard that the[c] AntiSanta is coming, even now many antisantas have come, by which we know that it is the last hour. 19 They went out from us, but they were not of us; for if they had been of us, they would have continued with us; but they went out that they might be made manifest, that none of them were of us.

You never truly believed in Santa, because if you ever did, you would still believe in Santa!

Offline Historicity

• Reader
  • Darwins +80/-2
« Reply #65 on: October 05, 2011, 10:10:42 AM »
Yes, ViolatedSmurf and Velkyn, but I have a better source than the Wikipedia about the KJV Only movement.

"If the King James Bible is not the word of God, then where is it?" -- James Hanson, professor of Computer Science at Cleveland State University.  (Read below for more explanation.)

Remember 3rd Rock from the Sun?  One of the aliens got a job as a physics professor at a small private university near Cleveland, Ohio. Of course his civilization had the Grand Unified Theory down pat but he had to cover it up by teaching the world's most confusing college physics course.  He hauled in emotional material such as having the students calculate how guilty he felt when he injured a chipmunk while driving.

Just by sheer coincidence among the small colleges in northeast Ohio there is a Methodist college, Baldwin-Wallace.  And just by odd coincidence it had a professor of physics, Gerardus Bouw, who believed the Earth was the unmoving center of the universe because the Bible said so.  The King James Bible.  This, even tho his native language was Dutch, not English.  James Hanson, an IT professor from Cleveland State convinced him on the matter of the KJV.  No paraphrase can do justice to Bouw's thinking so here are his words:

. Our main disagreement lay in the area of the inerrancy of the King James Bible. Jim had the quaint notion that it is the inerrant preserved word of God in English, if not in the world. Finally it was late and time to go to sleep. As Jim said good night, he left me with one final question. If the King James Bible is not the word of God, then where is it? I had no answer to that one and after a few minutes thought, I was forced to the conclusion that the King James Bible is truly the inerrant, preserved word of God.

Hanson would tell his computer science students that there was a "simple equation" that explained how the Earth was the center of the universe.  Bouw apparently had some system of compensating factors worked out.  I don't know what it was.  For instance, Sirius is almost on the celestial equator.  It is about 9 light years away.  If it rotates around the Earth its path is (9 * 2 * pi) = 56 light years every day.  So it moves at 2 light years per hour or about 370 times the speed of light.  Skip the Einsteinian stuff and just consider the Newtonian.  Think of the centripetal force to hold that in a circular path.  It clearly isn't gravity since such gravity would crush us to a thin film one molecule thick, I'd guess.  Indeed Bouw explains these are "Massive Superstrings in the Universe", the title of his 2005 paper.

Anyway back to the topic.  I read an essay of Bouw's that dealt with an evidence for global warming.  That is, the average height of waves in the Atlantic has increased by an inch over recent times.  Bouw explains that waves randomly disperse energy.  Randomness is entropy.  Entropy is increasing chaos.  Chaos is disorder.  Order is obedience to what is good.  So entropy is from sin.  Therefore the increasing height of the waves is caused by an increase in sin.  What sin?  The sin of reading versions of the Bible other than the KJV.

Here, you read it.  It includes the math:

"Waves of Sin" from Biblical Astronomer magazine.

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +169/-6
« Reply #66 on: October 05, 2011, 11:34:22 AM »
that.......that..........   :o

that has to be the most amazingly STUPID excuse for a "reason" I have ever read.   Hands down, no contest. 

"There is no use in arguing with a man who can multiply anything by the square root of minus 1" - Pirates of Venus, ERB

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +264/-33
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
« Reply #67 on: October 05, 2011, 11:40:23 AM »
that.......that..........   :o

that has to be the most amazingly STUPID excuse for a "reason" I have ever read.   Hands down, no contest. 

You shouldn't judge prematurely. There are plenty more idiots where that came from
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

A.K.A.: Blaziken_rjcf/Lucifer/All In One.

Offline violatedsmurf80

• Graduate
  • Darwins +2/-0
« Reply #68 on: October 05, 2011, 01:02:34 PM »
Well, I guess that explains it I am going back to my religion. I found some thing worse the the Precolombian Airplane Models idea or even the alien theory.
When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross.”--- Sinclair Lewis

I believe there is something out there watching over us. Unfortunately, it's the government.

Offline jaimehlers

• Fellow
  • Darwins +511/-12
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #69 on: October 05, 2011, 01:22:37 PM »
Of course, both Hanson and Bouw missed the much more likely answer to the question, "Where is the word of God?", which is "maybe we don't have it anymore, if we ever did".  Hanson's question was such that either Bouw had to admit Hanson was right, or else he had to come up with where it actually was, which of course he couldn't do because he didn't know in the first place.

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +783/-4
  • Jehovah's Witness Protection Program
« Reply #70 on: October 05, 2011, 02:36:55 PM »
The word of god is not in the KJV. It is in the Jehovah's Witness bible.[1] You can find it at any Kingdom Hall. Case closed.
 1. One of the things that impressed me as a child--and still does-- is how many languages the JW's had translated their stuff into. I think only the Mormons have done more. 
Extraordinary claims of the bible don't even have ordinary evidence.

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.

Offline catbird

• Freshman
  • Darwins +0/-12
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #71 on: October 06, 2011, 12:51:23 AM »
nogodisforme,
Maybe there are some of us that god just does not want.

That is correct.. God has compassion on whom He will.Some are created to receive mercy and others for destruction..What if God, although choosing to show his wrath and make his power known, bore with great patience the objects of his wrath—prepared for destruction?

Offline Anfauglir

• Darwins +407/-5
« Reply #72 on: October 06, 2011, 06:39:43 AM »
God has compassion on whom He will.Some are created to receive mercy and others for destruction..

I see.  So your god creates creatures deliberately to be destroyed.

Can you explain by what token you consider that "good"?

Can you explain why I should worship such a creature if I am one of the ones destined for destruction?
Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid.
Why is it so hard for believers to answer a direct question?

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +169/-6
« Reply #73 on: October 06, 2011, 09:19:43 AM »
nogodisforme,

That is correct.. God has compassion on whom He will.Some are created to receive mercy and others for destruction..What if God, although choosing to show his wrath and make his power known, bore with great patience the objects of his wrath—prepared for destruction?

This is always good.  I claim I was a Christian and then our OneTrueChristian here says I wasn't since I didn't stay that way.  Well, catbird,  who's fault was that per your new claim that your god intentionally damns people?  Ah, yes, it's your god's fault.   What's funny is that this god doesnt' show that it exists at all, much less that it has any "patience".  And of course, catbird, it's also amusing that you are so sure that you are one of the chosen ones.  There's nothing to show that is there, only your desperate wishful thinking.  You could be damned as much as you hope I am, if this god of yours exists at all.  But considering the utter failure that every Christian who ever threatened anyone has over the ooga-booga "end times", I'm not too worried. 

Offline plethora

• Fellow
  • Darwins +60/-1
  • Metalhead, Family Man, IT Admin & Anti-Theist \m/
« Reply #74 on: October 06, 2011, 10:35:52 AM »

Assuming this is true[1], why would you worship a god who creates some people for destruction?

I understand that you believe you are one of the 'saved' ones who will received your god's compassion, but don't you feel bad for those your god created for destruction?
 1. although, as an atheist, I don't believe this for a second
The truth doesn't give a shit about our feelings.

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +783/-4
  • Jehovah's Witness Protection Program
« Reply #75 on: October 06, 2011, 10:42:13 AM »
nogodisforme,

So, god is like a cat, patiently playing with a mouse before killing it and eating it? Most of the people who have ever lived are just mouse bait for god. Cool. Real loving god there. &)
Extraordinary claims of the bible don't even have ordinary evidence.

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.

Offline jaimehlers

• Fellow
  • Darwins +511/-12
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #76 on: October 06, 2011, 11:06:21 AM »
Or maybe, just possibly, this is nothing more than an unsupported belief that some people accept because it allows them to feel superior to those others who they believe will receive 'destruction'.

Honestly, this sounds like Calvinist predestination[1] - a person's actions don't matter, only where they came from.
 1. Essentially religious determinism.

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +618/-23
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #77 on: October 06, 2011, 11:47:55 AM »
No, Velkyn. You were never a Christian. If you had been a Christian you would have remained a Christian.. 

Booo!  Lame answer.  And her point was that she does in fact know about xianity.  That was a really rude and dismissive way to treat her.  Jesus H does not approve.

Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Offline catbird

• Freshman
  • Darwins +0/-12
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #78 on: October 06, 2011, 04:39:36 PM »
Velkyn,

This is always good.  I claim I was a Christian and then our OneTrueChristian here says I wasn't since I didn't stay that way.  Well, catbird,  who's fault was that per your new claim that your god intentionally damns people?  Ah, yes, it's your god's fault.   What's funny is that this god doesnt' show that it exists at all, much less that it has any "patience".  And of course, catbird, it's also amusing that you are so sure that you are one of the chosen ones.  There's nothing to show that is there, only your desperate wishful thinking.  You could be damned as much as you hope I am, if this god of yours exists at all.  But considering the utter failure that every Christian who ever threatened anyone has over the ooga-booga "end times", I'm not too worried. 

Velkyn,

Since the Bible is the rule book for Christianity if you want to be considered to be Christian you must abide by the rules. You can't  play chess and make your own rules for the game can you? Baseball, anyone??

Offline curiousgirl

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +22/-0
  • Inquisitive agnostic atheist
« Reply #79 on: October 06, 2011, 04:42:10 PM »
nogodisforme,

Wow, that is sad. Catbird, check this out:

2 Peter 3
9 The Lord is not slow in keeping his promise, as some understand slowness. He is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance.

My bolding above. You don't even know what you are talking about. If you want to preach, at least know your Bible verses.

"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence."-Carl Sagan

Offline catbird

• Freshman
  • Darwins +0/-12
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #80 on: October 06, 2011, 04:43:00 PM »
Screwtape,

Booo!  Lame answer.  And her point was that she does in fact know about xianity.  That was a really rude and dismissive way to treat her.  Jesus H does not approve.

If she indeed does know about Christianity she should know that unless you follow proper guidelines you are in violation of the rules and excluded from fellowship.

Offline catbird

• Freshman
  • Darwins +0/-12
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #81 on: October 06, 2011, 04:48:05 PM »
curiousgirl,

My bolding above. You don't even know what you are talking about. If you want to preach, at least know your Bible verses.

I'm curious.. Did you start reading at the beginning of the chapter?  If might give you a clue as to the identity of the recipients of the letter.

Online Emily

• Professor
  • Darwins +49/-0
« Reply #82 on: October 06, 2011, 04:48:26 PM »

If she indeed does know about Christianity she should know that unless you follow proper guidelines you are in violation of the rules and excluded from fellowship.

Rules huh? Lets see how this comment about rules comes to bite you in the ass.
"Great moments are born from great opportunities." Herb Brooks

I edit a lot of my posts. The reason being it to add content or to correct grammar/wording. All edits to remove wording get a strike through through the wording.

Offline curiousgirl

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +22/-0
  • Inquisitive agnostic atheist
« Reply #83 on: October 06, 2011, 04:51:08 PM »
Catbird, I think "not wanting anyone to perish" is pretty clear. Unless you don't understand the definition of "anyone".
"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence."-Carl Sagan

Offline catbird

• Freshman
  • Darwins +0/-12
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #84 on: October 06, 2011, 04:53:18 PM »
Emily,

Intelligent girls are more depressed because they know what the world is really like. Don't think for a beat it makes her better when you sit her down and tell her it'll be alright. In society she's either a devil or an angel with no in between.

I take it that you are a "John Bircher?'

Offline jaimehlers

• Fellow
  • Darwins +511/-12
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #85 on: October 06, 2011, 04:58:41 PM »
Velkyn,

Since the Bible is the rule book for Christianity if you want to be considered to be Christian you must abide by the rules. You can't  play chess and make your own rules for the game can you? Baseball, anyone??
And if she abode by the rules of being a Christian while she was one, then she was a Christian[1] during that time.  It's that simple.  She is certainly not trying to argue that she is a Christian now, and your attempt to discredit her statement to you on that basis is fundamentally flawed.

Screwtape,

The fact that someone might be excluded from fellowship, whether it is by other Christians or of one's own will, has no bearing on their actual knowledge of Christianity from before that time.  Knowledge about a group doesn't magically vanish the moment one stops being a member of that group.

curiousgirl,

I'm curious.. Did you start reading at the beginning of the chapter?  If might give you a clue as to the identity of the recipients of the letter.
Are you saying that since Paul wrote that letter to a specific group of Christians, it means that it does not apply to anyone else?  Because if you are not saying that, then curiousgirl's point stands.
 1. Your unsupported statement that she was never a Christian since she did not remain one notwithstanding, since that is nothing but sophistry.

Offline catbird

• Freshman
  • Darwins +0/-12
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #86 on: October 06, 2011, 04:59:20 PM »
curiousgirl,

Catbird, I think "not wanting anyone to perish" is pretty clear. Unless you don't understand the definition of "anyone"

So according to curiousgirl guidelines anyone is a synonym for every individual..No, I don't believe that God doesn't want wicked people to perish.