Author Topic: Pat Robertson and Robert Pattinson  (Read 1935 times)

Offline flapdoodle64

• Graduate
  • Darwins +50/-1
    • My Movie Reviews
Pat Robertson and Robert Pattinson
« on: September 14, 2011, 04:57:14 PM »
Pat Robertson drinks the blood of Jesus, and when Pat Robertson dies, Pat Robertson will have eternal life. 

Robert Pattinson drinks the blood of Jesus's followers (and other people, probably) and Robert Pattinson has eternal life. 

Makes you think.

Offline kin hell

• Professor
  • Darwins +152/-7
  • - .... . .-. . /.. ... / -. --- / --. --- -.. ...
Re: Pat Robertson and Robert Pattinson
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2011, 10:10:47 PM »
Pat Robertson drinks the blood of Jesus, and when Pat Robertson dies, Pat Robertson will have eternal life. 

Robert Pattinson drinks the blood of Jesus's followers (and other people, probably) and Robert Pattinson has eternal life. 

Makes you think.

makes me wonder who is robert pattinson   (vampire I'd guess)    but not enough to google it eh?  ;)
"...but on a lighter note, demons were driven from a pig today in Gloucester."  Bill Bailey

all edits are for spelling or grammar unless specified otherwise

Offline natlegend

• Reader
  • Darwins +66/-0
  • Polyatheist
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2011, 02:57:43 AM »
OYG (Oh Your God), you don't know who Robert Pattinson is? Have you been under a rock for the past two years??? Never heard of 'Twilight'?

So gay...

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Offline kin hell

• Professor
  • Darwins +152/-7
  • - .... . .-. . /.. ... / -. --- / --. --- -.. ...
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2011, 03:11:05 AM »
...having no TV for +?12 years is obviously as good as garlic for keeping vampires away.

and yes, I have in passing seen evidence of Twilight (I do recognise the visage)   I know through cultural osmosis that they glow in the dark or something?????

I love good zombie vampire monster horror movies (complete escapism) but my limited knowledge about this show is all negative. 
Would that be a fair call or am I missing something?

I still read newspapers occasionally or wwwnews but obviously Twilight hasn't triggered any trawling interest.

and yes natle  at the risk of offending my fellow earthlings of a different bent, he does look a little gayish.
"...but on a lighter note, demons were driven from a pig today in Gloucester."  Bill Bailey

all edits are for spelling or grammar unless specified otherwise

Offline natlegend

• Reader
  • Darwins +66/-0
  • Polyatheist
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2011, 03:49:04 AM »
Stephanie Meyer has created the gayest vampire ever - he SPARKLES when in sunlight.[1] The female lead 'Bella' is the flimsiest character I have ever seen. The entire Twilight series is completely unrealistic and gag inducing.

Having not seen any of it, count yourself lucky. I just do not understand why so many people are so obsessed with it. Honestly, I just watched it to have a good laugh. And a good laugh I had!
 1. Which is why he doesn't turn up for school on sunny days. But otherwise, daylight doesn't affect him. I call NoTrueVampire!

Offline natlegend

• Reader
  • Darwins +66/-0
  • Polyatheist
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2011, 03:52:42 AM »

Makes you think.

Actually, no, he doesn't. He's a 'vegetarian' vampire (that's what he calls himself), he only drinks the blood of animals.

I really wish I didn't know so much about this dumb movie.

Offline MMcNeely

• Student
  • Darwins +5/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2011, 04:31:52 AM »
He's not a vampire.  Vampires don't sparkle in the sun... they freaking burn!

Offline plethora

• Fellow
  • Darwins +60/-1
  • Metalhead, Family Man, IT Admin & Anti-Theist \m/
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2011, 05:01:20 AM »
I enjoyed the Twilight books ... and the movies.

But one thing that I find odd is Twilight moms. You get women in their 40's at the movie theater screaming when hot 17-year old characters come on screen... and somehow that's okay with everyone. Let me put it this way:

Oddly ... I don't see 40 year old women (or men) screaming for Pat Robertson. I wonder why? :?
« Last Edit: September 15, 2011, 05:03:01 AM by plethora »
The truth doesn't give a shit about our feelings.

Offline natlegend

• Reader
  • Darwins +66/-0
  • Polyatheist
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2011, 05:30:50 AM »
^^^ I can't stand Bella. I have read a Meyer book,[1] so I can safely say that (IMO) she is a terrible writer who creates awful characters that are overly-emotional and quote frankly, pathetic.

And I too, do not understand 'Twighlight Mums'. I don't find Pattinson in the least attractive.

Yuch. Get a hairbrush.
 1. It was 'The Host'. The setting had earth taken over by a race of silver jellyfish-like aliens that were using the human population as hosts. I love sci-fi so I read the book eagerly. Unfortunately, there was this stupid love story centering around an appallingly shallow female lead, and it quite ruined the whole thing. Shame, the alien/host thing was actually a really interesting idea

Offline jynnan tonnix

• Reader
  • Darwins +88/-1
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2011, 07:44:18 AM »
Twilight moms? Heck, I know my share of Twilight grandmas! And for the record, I've managed to steer clear of both the books and the movies, and don't find Robert Pattinson attractive either. I mean, there's nothing particularly wrong with his face, if you like that type, but I don't.

And as vor Vegetarian Vampires, give me Count Duckula!

Offline flapdoodle64

• Graduate
  • Darwins +50/-1
    • My Movie Reviews
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2011, 10:12:44 AM »
I am a 47 year old man married to a 46 year old woman.  I went to one Twilight movie with my wife and a 50 year old friend of hers (female).  Personally, I think the Twilight series presents a view of the role of women that could set back feminism 300 years.  This makes sense since that author is a Mormon.  I also happen to think that by reading the books and seeing the movies, a lot of people will unconsciously download some/all of the Mormon software virus into their brains. 

I find the Bella character to be one of the most unlikable heroines in cinematic history.  The vampire and werewolf boys both look like male prostitutes...although the werewolf boy's face also looks a lot like someone with fetal alcohol syndrome as well. 

But anyway: besides the two 40+ women I previously mentioned who like Twilight, I can testify that my older brother has read all the Twilight books and enjoyed them...he has a 19 year old daughter, and I think she turned him on to the books. 

My wife's 47 year old sister likes the Twilight series, as does my wife's 78 year old father. 

I think a lot of the grownups have gotten to the series because they have kids or grandkids that are into it, and it is a way of connecting. 

The huge popularity of the series has something to, IMO, with the declining economic opportunities for young people in America, the general state of repression of human rights in the US, the general worldwide retreat from rationality and freedom of choice.  The Twilight books represent a young girl whose solution to the dilemma of young adulthood is to simply hook up with a possessive guy and become a vampire and have eternal life...the fantasy that destiny and magic can free someone from the burden of choice is a powerful drug. 

Offline rev45

• Reader
  • Darwins +37/-2
  • Did your parents raise you to be an idiot?
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2011, 11:26:07 AM »
I find the Bella character to be one of the most unlikable heroines in cinematic history.  The vampire and werewolf boys both look like male prostitutes...although the werewolf boy's face also looks a lot like someone with fetal alcohol syndrome as well. 

I know people who are obsessed with the Twilight series but I'm not sure if it's for the story or for the lead actors in the movies.  I've yet to hear anything about the story that would make me want to check it out but good for those who enjoy it.  And I think Pat Robertson is a vampire sucking out the decency of people who look to him for moral advice. 
Here read a book.  It's free.
http://www.literatureproject.com/

Could a being create the fifty billion galaxies, each with two hundred billion stars, then rejoice in the smell of burning goat flesh?   Ron Patterson

Offline natlegend

• Reader
  • Darwins +66/-0
  • Polyatheist
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2011, 02:35:23 AM »
Flappy said:
Personally, I think the Twilight series presents a view of the role of women that could set back feminism 300 years.  This makes sense since that author is a Mormon.  I also happen to think that by reading the books and seeing the movies, a lot of people will unconsciously download some/all of the Mormon software virus into their brains. 

Oh yeah, I'd forgotten that Meyer is a Mormon. But I don't see ANY mormonistic[1] themes in the first movie at all. Please to point one out for me?
 1. Did I just make up a new word?

Offline flapdoodle64

• Graduate
  • Darwins +50/-1
    • My Movie Reviews
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2011, 10:06:57 AM »
I think this article sums up a lot of the Twilight/Mormon crossover stuff better than I could:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/06/24/mormon-influence-imagery_n_623487.html

There might be some other stuff as well.  Twilight eroticizes abstinence, which is a big subtext of Mormonism (also numerous other religions). 

Plus, the whole idea that a 16 year old girl is going commit to an eternal life with some creepy, possessive, much older guy (the vampire boy, although appearing age 17, is actually hundreds of years older)...hells bells, that is classic Mormonism. 

Offline plethora

• Fellow
  • Darwins +60/-1
  • Metalhead, Family Man, IT Admin & Anti-Theist \m/
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2011, 10:21:56 AM »
C'mon dude ...

Yes, there are religious references in twilight. Edward the vampire is 'old fashioned' and believes that his eternal soul is damned for being the 'monster' that he is... and for said religious reasons he chooses to be a 'vegetarian' ... and he doesn't wanna fuck Bella until they're married... but the article goes overboard with the Mormon references.

I mean, Bella's parents are divorced and the mom remarried. Bella is more than happy to have sex before marriage ... it's Edward's stupid idea to wait. Also, he is afraid he won't resist sucking her blood in the act.

... and there's the overly exploited love triangle between Edward, Bella and Jacob. Quite liberal to be honest.

Now, I know there's some creepy stuff in the movie too ...

I mean, sure there's the fact that he is supposed to be like 100 years old and he falls in love with a 17 year old ... but what did you expect? For him to fall in love with a 100 old lady while he looks 17?

... and yes, Bella's character is so emotionally fragile she gets on my nerves. They're love is obsessive and not very healthy.

but overall I was entertained. I read the books and enjoyed the movies.

A guilty pleasure ... but hey, I'm only human :D
« Last Edit: September 16, 2011, 10:24:03 AM by plethora »
The truth doesn't give a shit about our feelings.

Offline flapdoodle64

• Graduate
  • Darwins +50/-1
    • My Movie Reviews
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2011, 10:46:01 AM »
Listen, I don't want to kill anyone's joy regarding the pleasures of trashy novels and cinema, and I don't feel strongly enough about the Mormon/Twilight connection to debate it. 

I imagine most of the people on this board have a higher than average resistance against accidentally downloading mental software viruses. 

Time will tell the tale, Plethora.  If in 2 years you find yourself wearing the 'sacred garment' (i.e. 'Mormon underwear') don't say you werent' warned. 

I will stick the original point, however, that our modern popular concept of the vampire is basically just a slight variation on Christian metaphysics. 

The same fetishistic attraction that Christianity holds for many, vampires also hold for many.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2011, 10:58:23 AM by flapdoodle64 »