Author Topic: Where Does God Say He'll Heal Amputees?  (Read 15444 times)

Offline Chronos

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +128/-6
  • Born without religion
    • Marking Time
Re: Where Does God Say He'll Heal Amputees?
« Reply #290 on: December 24, 2011, 07:16:24 AM »
wow, that's the most patient I've seen you all be with someone that doesn't follow forum rules.  Reading his posts started to give me a headache ...

Which is why I stopped trying to read them long ago. I can forgive a misspelling here and there because I am not perfect, and sometimes replies are not quite on point, again because I am not perfect ... but I cringe at repetitive communication issues that would have caused a failing grade in a 6th grade english class, like walls of text, no punctuation, run-on sentences ... why bother looking for a topic sentence in a pool of dictionary vomit?

richie p is an example of why I support Planned Parenthood -- if you have too many kids at once you can't properly help the ones you've already got. I am against The Duggar Family as a concept and an actuality. While financial poverty exists, so does intellectual poverty. The best way to cure the former is to first cure the latter. Obviously, richie p does not have a problem with the former.

Azdgari is our special messiah to the world of fictitious belief and intellectual poverty.

John 14:2 :: In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.

Offline pianodwarf

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +208/-6
  • Je bois ton lait frappé
« Reply #291 on: December 24, 2011, 07:58:36 AM »
wow, that's the most patient I've seen you all be with someone that doesn't follow forum rules.  Reading his posts started to give me a headache ...

Which is why I stopped trying to read them long ago.

I never even tried in the first place.  Why would I bother?  Trying to slog thru something like that is kind of like going to a restaurant for dinner, then having the waiter bring you a raw T-bone, a rack of spices, and a grill, and telling you to cook the steak yourself.  (An imperfect analogy, obviously, but you know what I mean.)
[On how kangaroos could have gotten back to Australia after the flood]:  Don't kangaroos skip along the surface of the water? --Kenn

Offline Anfauglir

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +408/-5
« Reply #292 on: December 24, 2011, 12:35:48 PM »
I appologize to all mods especially afauglir i sent him an ignorant personal message....

No problem.  I could actually manage to read your last post and understand what you were saying.

Richie.....very briefly, why did you sign up to this forum?
Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid.
Why is it so hard for believers to answer a direct question?

Offline Chronos

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +128/-6
  • Born without religion
    • Marking Time
« Reply #293 on: December 24, 2011, 01:10:38 PM »
... im not the best englishman when it comes to writing. 

I'm curious, what do you do for a living?

...  lol ive been up  till 4 in the morning  every night running on spinach and spring water reading the koran and playing with ebay ...

For the love of Hitchens ... why? ... to either and both ...

I interpretted some of your post wrongly as in i got defensive thinking you wanted to tear me down ...

I, personally, cannot tear down that which has yet to be built. My interpretation is that others here were trying to get you built up first so that we could figure out what you were actually trying to say.

... when i came to this forum being its title i felt like in my gut like i was walking into lions den it takes alot to try to share a message ...

We can and will be far more critical of how you express yourself than what you actually choose to express. If you cannot express yourself in a coherent manner that others can understand, then what you are trying to express is irrelevant.

Maybe because i knew it was filled with alot of people that were not believers very scientific and that i would meet static with my testimony  not that i think you are bad people i just believe that what men and  jesus think is good  ...

Look, I think that people who think god/jesus/deity is real are deluded. Period. The reasons why people are deluded vary, but deluded people are living their lives at an extreme disadvantage. I won't enumerate those right now because there is a bigger point to be addressed ...

Those who are deluded and follow a god are often incapable of good communication. Your inability to consistently  follow basic writing skills cause you to become a prime example of delusional people who cannot communicate. Now, I don't know you from Adam, to borrow a cliché, so I have no idea what actual mental capacity you have. I might be surprised to find that in holding a verbal conversation with you that you might appear to be quite normal. That verbal conversation might never occur, so in the meantime you must improve your skills of expression. If you want to make your point known to others, you must improve your methods of communication. The way you express yourself in writing in this forum would not allow you to move past 6th grade in the United States. I'm not joking.

...  you can  think im crazy ...

For me, I think you need mental help not so much because of your religious beliefs but because of your inability to communicate them in a coherent manner. The rifle-toting avatar cements the image of you possibly being the average village idiot in Afghanistan. To put this in terms of weaponry, your method of communication is spray-and-pray rather than being a cold, calculating sniper.

John 14:2 :: In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.

Offline Graybeard

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +523/-19
  • Is this going somewhere?
« Reply #294 on: December 26, 2011, 02:21:14 PM »
I am grateful that you have broken your writing up into paragraphs; it is certainly beginning to be easier to read However, I do note this:
"Verily, verily, I say unto thee, We speak that we do know, and testify that we have seen; and ye receive not our witness."
Tow points here:
(i) See, when Jesus is speaking, He does so with punctuation.
(ii) I could say, "Verily, verily, I say unto thee, We at WWGHA speak that we do know, and testify that we have seen; and ye receive not our witness."

However, when you think he is speaking to you, there is no punctuation:
Jesus told me in  prayer meditation as i call it he said  "i will  chasten you in heart"
This and the rest of your post make me think that it is not Jesus who is speaking to you but that it is your own voice that you are hearing.

Perhaps you could try to be a bit more like your hero?
« Last Edit: December 26, 2011, 02:24:42 PM by Graybeard »
Nobody says “There are many things that we thought were natural processes, but now know that a god did them.”

Offline Anfauglir

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +408/-5
« Reply #295 on: December 27, 2011, 02:57:35 AM »
Richie has been hit with the ban hammer - so sadly we are now befeft of his succint brand of wisdom.
Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid.
Why is it so hard for believers to answer a direct question?

Offline pianodwarf

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +208/-6
« Reply #296 on: December 27, 2011, 06:29:52 AM »
Richie has been hit with the ban hammer - so sadly we are now befeft of his succint brand of wisdom.

im sorry to here that his posts were very inciteful i was learning a lot from him why did you have to ban him he wasnt doing anything wrong you are just proofing to him that atheists are all close minded meanies i would right more but i have to take my shower and get ready for work please unban him he does not deserve to be censored like that wee should all have our freedom of speach here and everywhere else
[On how kangaroos could have gotten back to Australia after the flood]:  Don't kangaroos skip along the surface of the water? --Kenn

Offline 12 Monkeys

• Fellow
  • Darwins +104/-11
  • Dii hau dang ijii
« Reply #297 on: December 29, 2011, 01:38:40 AM »
how exactly can an ommni-max God not know these things before he created them? He knows everything and the only excuse for everything the writers could come up with for evil in the world was a chick eating an apple?

God in this instance can't be perfect now can he?
There's no right there's no wrong,there's just popular opinion (Brad Pitt as Jeffery Goines in 12 monkeys)

Offline legamputee

• Freshman
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #298 on: December 31, 2011, 08:36:07 PM »
I'm missing my right leg. There's something wrong with everyone on this planet, in varying degrees. I've just got one leg. Why do I need to be healed? Which degree of perfection is acceptable in life? Life needs variety. A few people with different number of limbs shouldn't upset the world so much. Get to know me. I'm human, just like you. I put my pants on one leg at a time, like everyone else. I just finish faster.

But seriously, we are just children of the creator. What gives us the ability to understand God? The foolish man is the one who thinks he can.

Offline ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +749/-6
  • Hide and Seek World Champion since 1958!
« Reply #299 on: December 31, 2011, 08:53:02 PM »
I'm missing my right leg. There's something wrong with everyone on this planet, in varying degrees. I've just got one leg. Why do I need to be healed? Which degree of perfection is acceptable in life? Life needs variety. A few people with different number of limbs shouldn't upset the world so much. Get to know me. I'm human, just like you. I put my pants on one leg at a time, like everyone else. I just finish faster.

But seriously, we are just children of the creator. What gives us the ability to understand God? The foolish man is the one who thinks he can.

You are certainly  more qualified to discuss amputation than I. But do you think someone with three or four missing limbs is as casual about their status?

Of course, a logical extension of your POV would be that nobody should pray about anything, since they should be happy with whatever it is they are facing, be it acne or terminal bone cancer. Sadly, jc and others brought prayer up in the bible and hence a few people extrapolate that to mean that they too have both the right to pray and perhaps the right to expect responses every once in a while. Well, not right to expect, but at least a reasonable expectation that they will occasionally indeed get better before the weekend comes or get to replace their old washing machine with a better one found at a garage sale for $25.

I have an acquaintance (with all his limbs) who openly prays on a regular basis, and who also says "Thank god" every time something good happens to him. He seems to think he has an ongoing relationship with the dude and considers prayer a normal way to interact with the invisible.

If you're not praying for a replaced limb, is he way off base when he prays for a parking spot close to the store entrance?

I haven't heard any who actively pray say that they understand the mind of god. But I've heard many who pray make it clear they think it works, even if they haven't yet won a lottery or been cured of a fatal disease. Who is wrongest here on the issue. We atheists who never bother the dude, those who pray with expectations, however mild, or you, who never bother the dude either.
Not everyone is entitled to their own opinion. They're all entitled to mine though.

Offline legamputee

• Freshman
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #300 on: December 31, 2011, 09:05:57 PM »
What I said stands on its own, even as I do with the use of crutches. But there have been people commit suicide over the loss of a hand. There's no scale you can apply to disability.

If you really believe there is no god, and when we die we return to nothing? Then why not just leave people alone? By the way you believe, nothing you do will matter when you're dead anyway. And you're gonna be dead a lot longer than you have lived. Just chill. If you're right, nothing about this should be important to you at all. Why do you even worry about life at all? Just chill until you die and are gone forever. You won't get any afterlife because you attacked Christians or any other religious groups. I think your fight is your way of trying to prove to yourself that you're right. If I believe, and I'm wrong, I get the same total nothingness after death that you will. You just can't afford for me to be right.

Winning this little forum discussion is minute. But you can continue on and I'll let you. My future doesn't depend on winning here, or proving you wrong. I'd tell you I'll pray for you. But that kind of thing just sets you guys off. Peace!

Offline 12 Monkeys

• Fellow
  • Darwins +104/-11
  • Dii hau dang ijii
« Reply #301 on: December 31, 2011, 09:27:45 PM »
legamp....if you were born at the turn of the 20th century and medical practices were barbaric compared to today(along with the attitudes of the able bodied)would your attitude be the same?
There's no right there's no wrong,there's just popular opinion (Brad Pitt as Jeffery Goines in 12 monkeys)

Offline shnozzola

« Reply #302 on: December 31, 2011, 09:28:54 PM »
Hi Leg,
   Man, you don’t understand atheists at all.  Many of us were Christians and as life went on, realized that there is no god.  No big deal.  We absolutely love life and hope to leave the earth that much better for our descendants, enjoying every ounce of life as most religious people.  We need no reward to always do the right thing.

If I’m wrong and god exists, and I go to hell – my loss – I want to change nothing. 

Other than great debating, IMO, a reason this website exists is 9/11 and extreme Islam.  Atheists are worried that the Muslim and Christian crazies are going to annihilate us all (humanity) to try to prove they are right.  Both, my friend, are utterly convinced that they are correct (cue the martyr music).     Another reason is the treatment of homosexuals, racism, and general dehumanizing that goes along with religions.  (I’m not saying atheists can’t be the same, and that’s the point Leg – we are all the same – you and I, we as atheists just don’t believe in a giant bearded floating man that controls everything.  Tell me Leg – what do you view god as at this stage of your life?
“The best thing for being sad," replied Merlin, beginning to puff and blow, "is to learn something."  ~ T. H. White
  The real holy trinity:  onion, celery, and bell pepper ~  all Cajun Chefs

Offline legamputee

• Freshman
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #303 on: December 31, 2011, 09:32:14 PM »
You are focused on this distraction from the main issue of my reply. But I will reply. I experience very high levels of never pain from my leg amputation that occurred in 2003. I've had 5 more surgeries since the tragedy that cost me my leg. I deal with more pain than you can imagine on a daily basis. But even on the night of my accident, when I was unsure if I'd see the next day, I feel as I do right now. It's not the disability, illness or pain. It's the mindset.

If you wish to try to destroy me on this issue to make you feel better about the rest of my reply, sorry. I'm not worried. You?

Offline 12 Monkeys

• Fellow
  • Darwins +104/-11
  • Dii hau dang ijii
« Reply #304 on: December 31, 2011, 09:42:46 PM »
Listen,I asked you a simple question,this is the 21st century the attitude towards amputee's has changed and improved 1000 times since even 1970. The world exposes everybody flaws and imperfections, yours happens to be both physical and visible and your are right in saying its a frame of mind as to how disabled you are

BTW have you prayed to God to take away the phantom limb pain?...the least he could do is take the phantom limb pain away.

Offline legamputee

• Freshman
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #305 on: December 31, 2011, 09:46:13 PM »
There was a time when I didn't believe. However, I love to learn.

But, I'm wise enough to not be drawn into defining what I believe specifically so you can attempt to tear it apart. Because I do believe, what you think is of no value to me.

On the other hand, you guys will feel greater comfort in believing you are nothing by trying to out-debate those that fall into these little discussions.

If you really don't believe, you'd leave us alone. Whether you leave the earth better or worse does not matter to someone that believes they return to the absolute nothingness that they were before they were given life and awareness. I sincerely believe that all so called atheists that debate believers are trying so hard to justify their disbelief. They know time is running out in their life and they want to not feel guilty about opposing believers.

Now on the other hand, I believe there are some true atheists that just exist and leave people alone because they know it doesn't matter what they do.

This is my last post because my time is more valuable than being drawn into your little traps. I've read them before. You can pat yourselves on the back and think you've defeated another Christian. I will be about living and loving and enjoying my purpose here. I feel great! Life is wonderful!

I wish you all peace. I will not be aware of any more replies. What I said is strong, and it stands on its own. Think about it.

Happy New Year!

Offline 12 Monkeys

• Fellow
  • Darwins +104/-11
  • Dii hau dang ijii
« Reply #306 on: December 31, 2011, 09:54:33 PM »
Why would you venture into a mainly athiest board like this? stick to the Christian boards where they can share your version of what is true.

I could care less what your religous affiliation is,why are you here,other than these boards I dont really interact with people of religion,unless they engage me first. I don't have anything to prove here disbelief or not. How do I feel guilty? It's you that needs the crutch,like murderers rapists and substance abusers you must have found God at your darkest hour and can't let go or you may be forced to look at the negativity in your past maybe?

Offline ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +749/-6
  • Hide and Seek World Champion since 1958!
« Reply #307 on: December 31, 2011, 10:12:07 PM »

If you really believe there is no god, and when we die we return to nothing? Then why not just leave people alone? By the way you believe, nothing you do will matter when you're dead anyway. And you're gonna be dead a lot longer than you have lived. Just chill. If you're right, nothing about this should be important to you at all.

Ah, but while I'm alive, I am subject to numerous unpleasantries caused by the religious. And I doth protest. Though perhaps not enough. Our argument with religion isn't so much that it exists, but that it negatively affects this world far more than most of us can tolerate. And it's a lie, which doesn't help it's reputation at all. The amputee question happens to be a pretty good one, but we could concentrate on other issues, I suppose.

Right now I live in the US, where the religious right is trying to force its tiny-minded agenda on each and every one of us, even those of us with brains. That we should be forced to fight real world battles that are based on imaginary foes is ridiculous. Hence we complain.

We'd chill if you guys would. But nooooo!

Not everyone is entitled to their own opinion. They're all entitled to mine though.

Offline pianodwarf

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +208/-6
« Reply #308 on: January 01, 2012, 05:27:41 AM »
If you really believe there is no god, and when we die we return to nothing? Then why not just leave people alone? By the way you believe, nothing you do will matter when you're dead anyway. And you're gonna be dead a lot longer than you have lived. Just chill.

Because people's beliefs inform their actions.  In America, in particular, there is a large and powerful group that is trying to turn our nation into a theocracy, under which nonbelievers would face even more persecution than we do now.  In light of this, we do not have the luxury of "chilling".

If you're right, nothing about this should be important to you at all. Why do you even worry about life at all? Just chill until you die and are gone forever.

It is precisely because this life is the only one we get that we have to cherish it as much as possible.

I think your fight is your way of trying to prove to yourself that you're right. If I believe, and I'm wrong, I get the same total nothingness after death that you will. You just can't afford for me to be right.

This is called Pascal's Wager, and we get it about once a week or so.  Your use of it only goes to show how little thought you have given to these matters.

Offline pianodwarf

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +208/-6
« Reply #309 on: January 01, 2012, 05:29:48 AM »
I'm missing my right leg. There's something wrong with everyone on this planet, in varying degrees. I've just got one leg. Why do I need to be healed?

*shrug*  Maybe you don't, if that's the way you feel, but that's not the point.  The point is that Yahweh never restores a missing limb.  Ever.

What gives us the ability to understand God? The foolish man is the one who thinks he can.

If we were created by Yahweh, why did he create us without the ability to understand him?

Offline shnozzola

« Reply #310 on: January 01, 2012, 08:01:42 AM »
Because I do believe, what you think is of no value to me.

^^^This may be why theists are so dangerous.

What you think may be of value to us, Leg.
Tell you what, you gather christians together outside for a candlelight prayer vigil to save our souls, we'll be in the building, in the labs, continuing to look for a cure for cancer, or perfecting the best prosthesis we absolutely can.  And when we've done that, you can have a celebration, a prayer vigil, praising god for his accomplishment - we'll be in the building, working double shifts and drinking old coffee, looking over the notes again, trying to double the world's rice output.
“The best thing for being sad," replied Merlin, beginning to puff and blow, "is to learn something."  ~ T. H. White
  The real holy trinity:  onion, celery, and bell pepper ~  all Cajun Chefs

Offline jetson

• Administrator
  • Darwins +170/-6
  • Meet George Jetson!
    • Jet Blog
« Reply #311 on: January 01, 2012, 11:34:57 AM »
There was a time when I didn't believe. However, I love to learn.

But, I'm wise enough to not be drawn into defining what I believe specifically so you can attempt to tear it apart. Because I do believe, what you think is of no value to me.

On the other hand, you guys will feel greater comfort in believing you are nothing by trying to out-debate those that fall into these little discussions.

If you really don't believe, you'd leave us alone. Whether you leave the earth better or worse does not matter to someone that believes they return to the absolute nothingness that they were before they were given life and awareness. I sincerely believe that all so called atheists that debate believers are trying so hard to justify their disbelief. They know time is running out in their life and they want to not feel guilty about opposing believers.

Now on the other hand, I believe there are some true atheists that just exist and leave people alone because they know it doesn't matter what they do.

This is my last post because my time is more valuable than being drawn into your little traps. I've read them before. You can pat yourselves on the back and think you've defeated another Christian. I will be about living and loving and enjoying my purpose here. I feel great! Life is wonderful!

I wish you all peace. I will not be aware of any more replies. What I said is strong, and it stands on its own. Think about it.

Happy New Year!

Members of the forum!  This. Is.  Why.  We.  Debate.

People like this amputee come along, with their misconceptions, misunderstandings, and pure ignorance of anything outside of, or in disagreement with their religion, or their god, or their faith, or belief, and tell us to "think about it".  You see, this amputee doesn't need to be healed.  And this amputee does not particularly care about other humans like us, and wants us to mind our own business, and basically shut up.  This amputee doesn't understand why this website exists, yet simultaneously wanders in, makes a few posts, and walks away in self-proclaimed victory and smugness.  At the same time, the amputee is not about to get trapped into a debate, no way.

This amputee also apparently knows some "true" atheists, that don't bother anyone with their atheism, but does not go as far as saying he interacts with said atheists.

The final wish to us all for peace was about as disingenuous a reply I have seen on this forum in all my years.  Something so insincere, coming from someone so convinced that God is on his side, and that having a second leg is not what's really important.  This amputee wants US to think about it.  Think about that!

Offline Hatter23

• Fellow
  • Darwins +257/-7
  • Doesn't believe in one more god than you
« Reply #312 on: January 01, 2012, 11:46:46 AM »
Why do I need to be healed?

Ask anyone behind you in a stairwell if there was a fire. There's a reason that most people will try to avoid having their limbs chopped off; if you can't see this, your amputation isn't your worst disability.

An Omnipowerful God needed to sacrifice himself to himself (but only for a long weekend) in order to avert his own wrath against his own creations who he made in a manner knowing that they weren't going to live up to his standards.

And you should feel guilty for this. Give me money.

Offline Hatter23

• Fellow
  • Darwins +257/-7
  • Doesn't believe in one more god than you
« Reply #313 on: January 01, 2012, 11:49:44 AM »
I love to learn.
versus
what you think is of no value to me.

Does not compute. Oxymoron. Contradiction.
An Omnipowerful God needed to sacrifice himself to himself (but only for a long weekend) in order to avert his own wrath against his own creations who he made in a manner knowing that they weren't going to live up to his standards.

And you should feel guilty for this. Give me money.

Offline jetson

• Administrator
  • Darwins +170/-6
  • Meet George Jetson!
    • Jet Blog
« Reply #314 on: January 01, 2012, 11:50:39 AM »
Why do I need to be healed?

Ask anyone behind you in a stairwell if there was a fire. There's a reason that most people will try to avoid having their limbs chopped off; if you can't see this, your amputation isn't your worst disability.

Actually, the only part that needs healing is his attitude.

Offline Brakeman

• Reader
  • Darwins +47/-3
« Reply #315 on: January 01, 2012, 12:59:22 PM »
Of course everyone was assuming the "amputee" was telling the truth about his disability. I personally am very skeptical as I've known so many "liars fer jesus."
Help find the cure for FUNDAMENTIA !

Offline jetson

• Administrator
  • Darwins +170/-6
  • Meet George Jetson!
    • Jet Blog
« Reply #316 on: January 01, 2012, 01:59:39 PM »
Of course everyone was assuming the "amputee" was telling the truth about his disability. I personally am very skeptical as I've known so many "liars fer jesus."

Excellent point.

Offline violatedsmurf80

• Graduate
  • Darwins +2/-0
« Reply #317 on: January 01, 2012, 08:35:14 PM »
"liars fer jesus."

At one time this was me
When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross.”--- Sinclair Lewis

I believe there is something out there watching over us. Unfortunately, it's the government.

Offline Rustybeatz

• Student
  • Darwins +3/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #318 on: January 02, 2012, 12:37:20 AM »
Whether you leave the earth better or worse does not matter to someone that believes they return to the absolute nothingness that they were before they were given life and awareness.

Ok first off, and I'm going to say this as nicely as possible, fuck you!  Please don't tell me what I believe and how I live my life, especially if you don't know me.  I'm studying to be a nurse BECAUSE I CARE ABOUT PEOPLE and want to help them.  Your close-minded bigotry is showing itself. 

I sincerely believe that all so called atheists that debate believers are trying so hard to justify their disbelief. They know time is running out in their life and they want to not feel guilty about opposing believers.

This is my last post because my time is more valuable than being drawn into your little traps. I've read them before. You can pat yourselves on the back and think you've defeated another Christian. I will be about living and loving and enjoying my purpose here.

Ok, here you're just projecting.  To me it looks like you're scared when you don't want to answer questions about your beliefs.  I once heard somebody say that truth doesn't hide from questions.  Now, why is it that the church never wants anybody to question anything......hmmm, I wonder why?

I feel great! Life is wonderful!

Finally, something we can agree on!