Author Topic: Where Does God Say He'll Heal Amputees?  (Read 16643 times)

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +169/-6
  • You're wearing the juice, aren't you?"
Re: Where Does God Say He'll Heal Amputees?
« Reply #58 on: September 16, 2011, 10:25:38 AM »
Not surprisingly, FW, you haven’t provided one scrap of evidence to support your claims. Not anecdotes, not stories, evidence.  Read your dictionary to find out what that actually is.

Same with what evil means. Always entertaining to see a Christian try to redefine words so their god looks better.  Your bible says that your god created evil.  It’s clear as day and of course you want to ignore it to create your own version of god and your religion.

And sorry, you are practicing a religion.  See that dictionary again.  You have no relationship since you have no evidence you aren’t talking to nothing.  I have a relationship with my husband.  He’s real.   

And oh, God is more than your bible.  Again, this is SPAG, self-projection as God.  You make up whatever you want to support your claims.  However, this can be said about any type of theist.  NO evidence and just more myths and stories.

Interesting story about the soccer guy. How did he “bust up his knee”?  How did you know, did you go to a doctor who actually did something other than prayer?  I bet you did or you didn’t know it was actually hurt that bad.  I don’t have to believe it or not.  I can ask you for medical records.  Have those?  Probably not since no Christian who claism such nonsense does.  You all lie. 

And the same thing about your claims that you had healings on your feet after operations that supposed “messed things up more”.  Really, if this is so, then medical records or your are lying. 

And I do love the usual “but God won’t show evidence since it would interfere with free will”.  Funny how your god didn’t worry about that with Thomas, or Gideon or Abraham, anyone who saw a miracle, etc etc etc.  You revise your religion to excuse a god that does NOTHING.
"There is no use in arguing with a man who can multiply anything by the square root of minus 1" - Pirates of Venus, ERB

http://clubschadenfreude.wordpress.com/

Offline rickymooston

« Reply #59 on: September 16, 2011, 06:50:51 PM »
rather interesting that a god needs to harm someone to show their strength.  Can't they show it without trauma?  This strikes me as the same "but but God "teaches" people by harming them".    I find this sadistic and rather sick.

If you look at it from one angle, sure, its pretty sick. Everybody dies eventually and typically they die in a degrading way or they age in a degrading way. Some die early but all die.

On the otherhand, its odd we have such a capacity to adapt. Its no accident that in fact many people with these hardships actually become Christians or get labeled as being spiritual people.

Its also odd that we all find it sick, (me included), when we are confronted with it directly, but very few of us make significant sacrifices to rescue those dying children. Truth is, I think, we just don;t want to know.

Poverty doesn't have to exist. Its a side effect of ownership for the most part. Humans constructed it.
"i had learn to focus i what i could do rather what i couldn't do", Rick Hansen when asked about getting a disabling spinal cord injury at 15. He continues to raise money for spinal cord research and inspire peoople to "make a difference". He doesnt preach any religion.

Offline 12 Monkeys

• Fellow
  • Darwins +105/-11
  • Dii hau dang ijii
« Reply #60 on: September 16, 2011, 10:10:32 PM »
rather interesting that a god needs to harm someone to show their strength.  Can't they show it without trauma?  This strikes me as the same "but but God "teaches" people by harming them".    I find this sadistic and rather sick.

If you look at it from one angle, sure, its pretty sick. Everybody dies eventually and typically they die in a degrading way or they age in a degrading way. Some die early but all die.

On the otherhand, its odd we have such a capacity to adapt. Its no accident that in fact many people with these hardships actually become Christians or get labeled as being spiritual people.

Its also odd that we all find it sick, (me included), when we are confronted with it directly, but very few of us make significant sacrifices to rescue those dying children. Truth is, I think, we just don;t want to know.

Poverty doesn't have to exist. Its a side effect of ownership for the most part. Humans constructed it.
the problem that is also sick is the have nots of the world will defend the wealthiest of humanity to their own deaths (war or starvation and disease) for the simple promise that they can be wealthy too.....just who are they defending it from?
There's no right there's no wrong,there's just popular opinion (Brad Pitt as Jeffery Goines in 12 monkeys)

Offline rickymooston

« Reply #61 on: September 16, 2011, 11:54:43 PM »
God works in the parameters he decides.

This is a tautology. its true no matter what.  :o

Surely you don't take Jesus saying that you can move a mountain literally.

Valid point.

There are many things God answers and I myself have been witness to these miracles

What do you mean? Examples of things you witnessed? Why were they miracles?

but unnaturally re-growing a limb is not something he just hands out.

Crabs do it.

He works in the confines of his creation and rarely goes to great lengths to contradict or inhibit that which he has set up.

rarely?
"i had learn to focus i what i could do rather what i couldn't do", Rick Hansen when asked about getting a disabling spinal cord injury at 15. He continues to raise money for spinal cord research and inspire peoople to "make a difference". He doesnt preach any religion.

Offline rickymooston

« Reply #62 on: September 16, 2011, 11:59:42 PM »
the problem that is also sick is the have nots of the world will defend the wealthiest of humanity to their own deaths (war or starvation and disease) for the simple promise that they can be wealthy too.....just who are they defending it from?

History records many instances where the have not have rebelled against the haves. Naturally, the haves often run the societies in question and mandate what is taught to everybody in any schools that society does have.

The Egyptians had a smart idea with their religion. They taught the masses that the king was a god and used science to "prove it".

;)

Offline caveat_imperator

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +6/-0
« Reply #63 on: September 17, 2011, 09:47:38 AM »

Quote from: Matthew 17:20
Because you have so little faith. I tell you the truth, if you have faith as small as a mustard seed, you can say to this mountain, 'Move from here to there' and it will move. Nothing will be impossible for you.

So jesus was being a bald-faced liar when he told his followers this?
You can't prove a negative of an existence postulate.

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +286/-37
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
« Reply #64 on: September 17, 2011, 09:51:13 AM »

Quote from: Matthew 17:20
Because you have so little faith. I tell you the truth, if you have faith as small as a mustard seed, you can say to this mountain, 'Move from here to there' and it will move. Nothing will be impossible for you.

So jesus was being a bald-faced liar when he told his followers this?

Nah, see, that was metaphorical. OBVIOUSLY he didn't REALLY mean "faith as small as a mustard seed", you can't measure faith like that
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

A.K.A.: Blaziken_rjcf/Lucifer/All In One.

Offline rickymooston

« Reply #65 on: September 17, 2011, 11:57:08 AM »
Err... Where does it say that in the Bible, if you don't mind my asking? I am rather confused...
neither are your ways my ways, declares the Lord ...

I don't understand the verse you provided in context. I agree, God doesn't make promises as one can for example see in the book of Job.

I'm not making excuses for my God. He does not need me. I need Him. My God is not inadequate. He can and does heal. I (and others) have experienced His healing.

The sort of healing you are discussing is I'm sure an emotional healing?

That is, you are not seeming to state that God makes the disease go away but that God affects the person in a positive way.

Taoists refer to this as cultivation. Naturally, people in other faith traditions experience this as well in their own ways. That is to say, you are attributing something to your God and those experiencing it get inspiration strength from the belief in the God but its not clear that is supernatural or magical.

I don't know the mind of God. I only know what He has revealed to me. His presence is unexplainable. His power, unimaginable.

This religious claim is interesting. How do we know its unimaginable? Why and how so.

Many claims about God, such as his being timeless have no meaning to us at all. They seem to just be words.

Everything good is God for (obviously) God is good.

This easily becomes circular. Whatever God does is defined to be good; e.g., Moses was told to keep slaves and thus slavery was "good".

We don't consider slavery good any more. Our society has moved beyond that, using logic one can attribute to Christ such as the golden  rule. (Note to the atheists here : I'm not claiming Jesus invented the golden rule; versions of it have existed before but he most definitely preached it.)

When man sinned, man broke the amazing relationship with God. Evil came into the world -- Satan took over.
God did not create evil. How can evil be the so-called misunderstanding of God if GOD is indeed GOOD?
It can't be...

If God didn't create it, where did it come from? Man didn't create it. For the tree to provide knwoledge of good and evil, evil already existed before eve ate the apple
« Last Edit: September 17, 2011, 12:39:37 PM by rickymooston »

Offline 12 Monkeys

• Fellow
  • Darwins +105/-11
  • Dii hau dang ijii
« Reply #66 on: September 17, 2011, 12:24:57 PM »
Great last point RM evil was already there Eve had no knowledge of it ,but it was there.......why put evil into the perfect place,Eden? ......the snake ,evil,naive Eve .....God could have put the tree on the steepest cliff out of reach,if it were that important to him. God is a failure,he failed humanity.......if he were only real we would have someone to blame.
There's no right there's no wrong,there's just popular opinion (Brad Pitt as Jeffery Goines in 12 monkeys)

Offline 12 Monkeys

• Fellow
  • Darwins +105/-11
  • Dii hau dang ijii
« Reply #67 on: September 17, 2011, 12:28:23 PM »

History records many instances where the have not have rebelled against the haves. Naturally, the haves often run the societies in question and mandate what is taught to everybody in any schools that society does have.

The Egyptians had a smart idea with their religion. They taught the masses that the king was a god and used science to "prove it".

;)
Only when enough of them have died in the process....... in America that has not happened yet........do the poor still buy the lie that they can be wealthy too?

Offline rickymooston

« Reply #68 on: September 17, 2011, 12:38:34 PM »
in America that has not happened yet........do the poor still buy the lie that they can be wealthy too?

http://www.lutins.org/labor.html

The original Tompkins Square Riot. As unemployed workers demonstrated in New York's Tompkins Square Park, a detachment of mounted police charged into the crowd, beating men, women and children indiscriminately with billy clubs and leaving hundreds of casualties in their wake. Commented Abram Duryee, the Commissioner of Police: "It was the most glorious sight I ever saw..."

12 February 1877
U.S. railroad workers began strikes to protest wage cuts.

21 June 1877
Ten coal-mining activists ("Molly Maguires") were hanged in Pennsylvania.

I don't even get into the LA riots and other things.

It should also be noted, that in the US, the poor have the right to vote.

Its not a lie that poor can be wealthy too; its rare but it happens.

Offline 12 Monkeys

• Fellow
  • Darwins +105/-11
  • Dii hau dang ijii
« Reply #69 on: September 17, 2011, 12:49:51 PM »
I was talking full scale like Bastille day....... where the end result is anarchy And any poor person with determination can be wealthy.....but not top 1% wealthy,,,,,these familys in the top 1% with a few exceptions like Jobs and Gates have been building wealth for centuries,on the backs of the poor
« Last Edit: September 17, 2011, 12:53:49 PM by 12 Monkeys »

Offline jetson

• Administrator
  • Darwins +170/-6
  • Meet George Jetson!
    • Jet Blog
« Reply #70 on: September 17, 2011, 12:50:49 PM »

Its not a lie that poor can be wealthy too; its rare but it happens.

Something that is technically correct, does not matter in a practical sense.  It is technically true that every American adult has the same opportunities to succeed, but that statement will never bare out in practical terms.  Far more people will never get that opportunity, even though it technically exists.

Some of my conservative friends love to proclaim that the U.S. is a free country, where anyone can succeed.  but they always forget the inconvenient truth.

Offline rickymooston

« Reply #71 on: September 17, 2011, 12:54:29 PM »
Something that is technically correct, does not matter in a practical sense.  It is technically true that every American adult has the same opportunities to succeed, but that statement will never bare out in practical terms.  Far more people will never get that opportunity, even though it technically exists.

Quite a few people go from poverty to middle class jobs. As long as public education exists, something many americans seem to hate, exists, a determined individual can find a reasonable career.

Some of my conservative friends love to proclaim that the U.S. is a free country, where anyone can succeed.  but they always forget the inconvenient truth.

Do they?

Offline 12 Monkeys

• Fellow
  • Darwins +105/-11
  • Dii hau dang ijii
« Reply #72 on: September 17, 2011, 12:57:31 PM »
 The Kardashians,the cast of Jersey shore,just two exapmples how poor trash can find sucsess in America :-[

Offline jetson

• Administrator
  • Darwins +170/-6
  • Meet George Jetson!
    • Jet Blog
« Reply #73 on: September 17, 2011, 01:02:53 PM »

Quite a few people go from poverty to middle class jobs. As long as public education exists, something many americans seem to hate, exists, a determined individual can find a reasonable career.

And quite a few have recently gone from middle class to poverty.  How many of any group have moved into wealthy?

Do they?

I would not have made the statement otherwise.  Your point in asking this?

Offline 12 Monkeys

• Fellow
  • Darwins +105/-11
  • Dii hau dang ijii
« Reply #74 on: September 17, 2011, 01:10:28 PM »

And quite a few have recently gone from middle class to poverty.  How many of any group have moved into wealthy?

Do they?

I would not have made the statement otherwise.  Your point in asking this?
And how many of the wealthy have increased their wealth while the middle class disappers?

Offline rickymooston

« Reply #75 on: September 17, 2011, 03:00:24 PM »
Fair questions both.

Offline gonegolfing

• Reader
  • Darwins +23/-2
  • God ?...Don't even get me started !
« Reply #76 on: September 21, 2011, 09:32:30 AM »
Most christians are sitting there doing jack shit praying to their god or justifying this type of suffering as part of their sky-daddy's oh so precious (i.e. sadistic) plan.

This is untrue b.s. Christians as a whole give quite a lot to charity.
Oh for fuck sakes !  >:(

Pleth is correct and it is proved by the fact that there are quite likely 3 Billion capable and money making faithheads in this world, and if they were to give proportionately to what the nonbelievers do, or, as Pleth does, 5% of there income to worthy charities, then the world hunger problem would be solved immediately !

B.S. my ass ! What most christians do is give 10% of their income not to charity, but to the place of worship that they attend. I've got news for ya mate:--giving to your church is not giving to charity..It's lining religions pockets that's all.

Most of here have watched for years what churches do with the tithe that comes in and yes, virtually jack shit is given to the real needs of the community and instead invested in bigger buildings, more missionaries out in the field, or better fucking sunday school picnics ! .....I've been on church boards and actually, and embarrassingly, argued with other board members as to whether we send the pastor on a cruise or an all inclusive beach holiday...Fucked up and disgusting stuff now that I think about it !...   approx. 10,000 children under 5 dying every day and we have the nerve to quibble over whether the deluded charlatan pastor can enjoy the buffet at the beachfront restaurant !

You're out to lunch with that statement  :(

« Last Edit: September 21, 2011, 09:39:59 AM by gonegolfing »
"I believe that there is no God. I'm beyond atheism"....Penn Jillette.

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +169/-6
« Reply #77 on: September 21, 2011, 10:13:05 AM »
^^^^ I'll add that the fact that the local mission for homeless men and women in my town has to constantly beg for money from the whole community.  There are at least 10 pages of churches in my local phone book's yellow pagse.  If Christians did so much, why does this happen month after month after month? 
"There is no use in arguing with a man who can multiply anything by the square root of minus 1" - Pirates of Venus, ERB

Offline jetson

• Administrator
  • Darwins +170/-6
  • Meet George Jetson!
    • Jet Blog
« Reply #78 on: September 21, 2011, 05:37:20 PM »
^^^^ I'll add that the fact that the local mission for homeless men and women in my town has to constantly beg for money from the whole community.  There are at least 10 pages of churches in my local phone book's yellow pagse.  If Christians did so much, why does this happen month after month after month?

Why does the fucking New Jersey Turnpike still charge tolls!   That shit has lloooonnnngggg been laid for!

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +169/-6
« Reply #79 on: September 22, 2011, 10:54:54 AM »

Why does the fucking New Jersey Turnpike still charge tolls!   That shit has lloooonnnngggg been laid for!

and it still needs fixed  ;)

Offline Grimm

• Professional Windmill Tilter
  • Postgraduate
  • Darwins +61/-1
  • Apparently, the Dragon to be Slain
    • The Hexadecimal Number of the Beast
« Reply #80 on: September 22, 2011, 11:40:57 AM »

Everything good is God for (obviously) God is good. When man sinned, man broke the amazing relationship with God. Evil came into the world -- Satan took over.
God did not create evil. How can evil be the so-called misunderstanding of God if GOD is indeed GOOD?
It can't be...

Fearless, with this statement, you've opened yourself up to a dangerous logical problem:

If, in the beginning, all was void, and it is through God's will that all was created, whence came the Serpent?

Does that mean that the God of Genesis is not your God?
"But to us, there is but one god, plus or minus one."  - 1 Corinthians 8:6+/-2

-- Randall, XKCD http://xkcd.com/900/

Offline Add Homonym

• Fellow
  • Darwins +222/-4
  • I can haz jeezusburger™
« Reply #81 on: September 23, 2011, 02:13:56 AM »
Fearless, with this statement, you've opened yourself up to a dangerous logical problem:

Not dangerous, if you make 3 posts and then piss off...
Humans, in general, don't waste any opportunity to be unfathomably stupid - Dr Cynical.

Offline SERPENT KILLA

• Student
  • Darwins +1/-21
  • RESURRECTED SAINT
« Reply #82 on: September 27, 2011, 07:28:44 PM »
If, in the beginning, all was void, and it is through God's will that all was created, whence came the Serpent?
hi everyone.  I'm a newbie here.
I think the bible says something like this 'God created the serpent, but the serpent abandoned his position and sinned against God'  (he wanted to be God)

"Then, after desire has conceived, it gives birth to sin; and sin, when it is full-grown, gives birth to death."(James 1:15)

so God said 'Serpent and your followers will be thrown into eternal fire'

HAVE A GOOD LIFE BECAUSE LIFE IS SHORT AND THERE IS NOTHING AFTER THAT.
IF THERE IS SOMETHING AFTER THAT, I AM NOT SORRY BECAUSE YOU DESERVE IT.

Offline Zankuu

• Reader
  • Darwins +132/-3
    • I am a Forum Guide
« Reply #83 on: September 27, 2011, 08:01:09 PM »
Snakes only have vocal cords in fairy tales.
Leave nothing to chance. Overlook nothing. Combine contradictory observations. Allow yourself enough time. -Hippocrates of Cos

Online Azdgari

• Laureate
  • Darwins +276/-31
« Reply #84 on: September 27, 2011, 09:09:39 PM »
Killa, where in the Bible does it say what you've paraphrased?
The highest moral human authority is copied by our Gandhi neurons through observation.

Offline Emily

• Professor
  • Darwins +50/-0
« Reply #85 on: September 27, 2011, 09:40:03 PM »
hi everyone.  I'm a newbie here.
I think the bible says something like this 'God created the serpent, but the serpent abandoned his position and sinned against God'  (he wanted to be God)

"Then, after desire has conceived, it gives birth to sin; and sin, when it is full-grown, gives birth to death."(James 1:15)

so God said 'Serpent and your followers will be thrown into eternal fire'

cool story, sis.
"Great moments are born from great opportunities." Herb Brooks

I edit a lot of my posts. The reason being it to add content or to correct grammar/wording. All edits to remove wording get a strike through through the wording.

Offline SERPENT KILLA

• Student
  • Darwins +1/-21
  • RESURRECTED SAINT
« Reply #86 on: September 27, 2011, 09:49:40 PM »
Killa, where in the Bible does it say what you've paraphrased?
"The great dragon was hurled down--that ancient serpent called the devil, or Satan, who leads the whole world astray. He was hurled to the earth, and his angels with him." (Revelation 12:9)

"And the devil, who deceived them, was thrown into the lake of burning sulfur, where the beast and the false prophet had been thrown. They will be tormented day and night for ever and ever" (Revelation 20:10)

cool story, sis.
thanks

HAVE A GOOD LIFE BECAUSE LIFE IS SHORT AND THERE IS NOTHING AFTER THAT.
IF THERE IS SOMETHING AFTER THAT, I AM NOT SORRY BECAUSE YOU DESERVE IT.