Author Topic: Where Does God Say He'll Heal Amputees?  (Read 12472 times)

Offline Tweeterfist

• Student
  • Darwins +0/-2
  • WWGHA Member
Where Does God Say He'll Heal Amputees?
« on: September 13, 2011, 11:46:57 AM »
Where does God say he is obligated to heal amputees in scripture? This isn't me being cocky either, I'm just looking for genuine answers.

Offline One Above All

• Professor
  • Darwins +222/-29
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
Re: Where Does God Say He'll Heal Amputees?
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2011, 11:49:19 AM »
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

A.K.A.: Blaziken_rjcf/Lucifer/All In One.

Offline Emily

• Professor
  • Darwins +44/-0
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2011, 12:31:08 PM »
Mark 11:23-24

but those people praying for a new limb didn't pray hard enough. They didn't give it their all! When it comes to praying you can give a quick 5 second prayer for a new job that you applied for in the first place[1], but it takes a lot more than 5 seconds to pray for god to grow back a limb... I guess.

Where does God say he is obligated to heal amputees in scripture? This isn't me being cocky either, I'm just looking for genuine answers.

You're not being cocky. You just missed the point of the question. If you just joined the forum without actually reading what it means by asking the question Why Wont God Heal Amputees?, visit this link.
 1. lets face is. (reputable) Employers don't just call you up out of the blue offering you a job you didn't apply for
« Last Edit: September 13, 2011, 12:34:04 PM by Emily »
"Great moments are born from great opportunities." Herb Brooks

I edit a lot of my posts. The reason being it to add content or to correct grammar/wording. All edits to remove wording get a strike through through the wording.

Offline Tweeterfist

• Student
  • Darwins +0/-2
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2011, 12:36:52 PM »
God works in the parameters he decides. Surely you don't take Jesus saying that you can move a mountain literally. There are many things God answers and I myself have been witness to these miracles, but unnaturally re-growing a limb is not something he just hands out. He works in the confines of his creation and rarely goes to great lengths to contradict or inhibit that which he has set up.

Pain is good though. We can learn much through it. We can also let it turn ourselves spiteful however. Once you understand that this world is merely a trail grounds for what's to come, what exactly goes on here becomes so very trivial.

Offline Emily

• Professor
  • Darwins +44/-0
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2011, 12:39:37 PM »
^^Typical answer.

"Great moments are born from great opportunities." Herb Brooks

I edit a lot of my posts. The reason being it to add content or to correct grammar/wording. All edits to remove wording get a strike through through the wording.

Offline One Above All

• Professor
  • Darwins +222/-29
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2011, 12:41:30 PM »
^^Typical answer.

It was to be expected. On another topic the user pretty much admitted to being a cherry-picker; saying that the parts of the Bible that are in accordance to what we know of the universe and/or that are impossible to disprove are the only "real" ones
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

A.K.A.: Blaziken_rjcf/Lucifer/All In One.

Online Hatter23

• Fellow
  • Darwins +237/-6
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2011, 12:43:47 PM »
God works in the parameters he decides. Surely you don't take Jesus saying that you can move a mountain literally. There are many things God answers and I myself have been witness to these miracles, but unnaturally re-growing a limb is not something he just hands out. He works in the confines of his creation and rarely goes to great lengths to contradict or inhibit that which he has set up.

Pain is good though. We can learn much through it. We can also let it turn ourselves spiteful however. Once you understand that this world is merely a trail grounds for what's to come, what exactly goes on here becomes so very trivial.

Show me how that claim varies from me saying that the Greek Gods interviened in the Trojan War in the Illiad, but they just don't go interfereing in just any old wars. I have seen the miracles in battle that Ares has done.
An Omnipowerful God needed to sacrifice himself to himself (but only for a long weekend) in order to avert his own wrath against his own creations who he made in a manner knowing that they weren't going to live up to his standards.

And you should feel guilty for this. Give me money.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +271/-76
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2011, 02:10:45 PM »
[1]
Quote from: Tweeterfist
Reply #3 on: Today at 12:36:52 PM

God works in the parameters he decides.

Is that stated in the Bible?  Oh, of course it is, it's stated throughout the Old Testament (not so much in the New Testament, I wonder why that is???)

If it says it in the Bible then it must be true.

Surely you don't take Jesus saying that you can move a mountain literally.

No, we do not but many Christians however do.  They literally believe that Jesus and/or Biblegod can literally move a mountain.

There are many things God answers and I myself have been witness to these miracles, but unnaturally re-growing a limb is not something he just hands out.

Why would Biblegod give such an ability to say a lesser animal to humans but not to humans?  And, why is it that humans have to work for Biblegod's love and do not just get it automatically?  I mean, "we're" supposed to love Biblegod above everything and everyone else (even ourselves and closest loves ones like our parents, siblings, and children -- Biblegod before all of them -- it even says we are to hate them Luke 14:26[2] but "we" have to work at getting Biblegod's love.

He works in the confines of his creation and rarely goes to great lengths to contradict or inhibit that which he has set up.

Bullshit.

Like your whole spiel.

-Nam
 1. quote function doesn't work, my apologies
 2. http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Luke+14%3A26&version=NIV

Offline Avatar Of Belial

• Graduate
  • Darwins +30/-1
  • I'm not an Evil person; I just act like one!
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2011, 02:29:08 PM »
Once you understand that this world is merely a trail grounds for what's to come, what exactly goes on here becomes so very trivial.

Why should we accept that idea, tho? What is supposed to convince us that this life is supposed to be trivial instead of all that there is? If you're wrong, then you'll have wasted this single life that you have[1].

Surely you aren't relying on those 'miracles' you're say you've seen, since after-all:

He works in the confines of his creation and rarely goes to great lengths to contradict or inhibit that which he has set up.

So by your own admission, every 'miracle' you say you've witnessed could have just-as-easily been natural occurrences/coincidences that no god ever had any hand in.
 1. Yes, I reversed Pascal's Wager, so sue me. :p
"You play make-believe every day of your life, and yet you have no concept of 'imagination'."
I do not have "faith" in science. I have expectations of science. "Faith" in something is an unfounded assertion, whereas reasonable expectations require a precedent.

Offline pianodwarf

• Darwins +204/-5
  • Je bois ton lait frappé
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2011, 02:39:59 PM »
lets face is. (reputable) Employers don't just call you up out of the blue offering you a job you didn't apply for

This isn't necessarily true, depending on who you are and what your skills are and so forth.  Pretty much every job I've had for the past six years has come to me this way, including my current position at NASA.  Even Apple tried to recruit me once, and Apple has no need to recruit anybody.
[On how kangaroos could have gotten back to Australia after the flood]:  Don't kangaroos skip along the surface of the water? --Kenn

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +177/-8
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2011, 03:35:13 PM »
I don't think we are asking for a bunch to be healed.  Just one would do.  He is suppose to cure a lot of other stuff.  Why not at least one amputee?
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Online Hatter23

• Fellow
  • Darwins +237/-6
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2011, 03:40:50 PM »
I don't think we are asking for a bunch to be healed.  Just one would do.  He is suppose to cure a lot of other stuff.  Why not at least one amputee?

Seriously, you have him drowning the world, parting the red sea, getting hundred of skeletons to Dance(Ezekiel), raising the  dead, appearing in the heavens, all sorts of "Big obvious magic" that seems to no longer be allowed roughly about the introduction of the printing press, journalism,  and scientific method.
An Omnipowerful God needed to sacrifice himself to himself (but only for a long weekend) in order to avert his own wrath against his own creations who he made in a manner knowing that they weren't going to live up to his standards.

And you should feel guilty for this. Give me money.

Offline curiousgirl

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +22/-0
  • Inquisitive agnostic atheist
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2011, 03:45:55 PM »
There are many things God answers and I myself have been witness to these miracles, but unnaturally re-growing a limb is not something he just hands out.

Oh, so when Jesus attached an ear back onto a man, was it because that guy was special?

Luke 22
49-51: When Jesus’ followers saw what was going to happen, they said, “Lord, should we strike with our swords?” And one of them struck the servant of the high priest, cutting off his right ear. But Jesus answered, “No more of this!” And he touched the man’s ear and healed him.

Or maybe it's all just fiction...what's more likely?  &)
"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence."-Carl Sagan

Offline jetson

• Administrator
  • Darwins +164/-6
  • Meet George Jetson!
    • Jet Blog
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2011, 06:04:51 PM »

Some things never change.  Sigh.

Offline Brakeman

• Reader
  • Darwins +47/-3
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2011, 08:16:33 PM »
Tweeterfist,

Why would god heal patients in all of the claimed medical miracles that are attributed to him in nearly every pulpit and in nearly every local hospital, yet never with something that is unequivocally miraculous like a missing leg? Internal cancers and aches and pain miracles are so easy to make up for god.  We observe that all of god's works are now performed by his followers. We want to see the effects of god himself in todays scientifically advanced word, in a manner that is not easily faked by con artists and liars.
Help find the cure for FUNDAMENTIA !

Offline jetson

• Administrator
  • Darwins +164/-6
  • Meet George Jetson!
    • Jet Blog
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2011, 08:25:41 PM »
Because Brakeman, when God fails to do something that could be done with no difficulty whatsoever, those who believe God is actually real will go out of their way to make excuses, and even pretend to know the very mind of God, something that we know is impossible for mere humans.

Everything good is God, and everything bad is our misunderstanding of God, or God's wrath upon the heathens.  It's beyond laughable.  But look at me, preaching to the choir!

Offline Azdgari

• Laureate
  • Darwins +250/-31
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2011, 08:29:05 PM »

By invoking your interpretational authority, you have set yourself upon the throne of God.

Is it comfy up there?
Unless you are Scarlett Johansason or something.  lol  i'd like to punish her with  my baby.  lol

Offline LadyLucy

• Reader
  • Darwins +1/-0
  • No one leaves the Nightosphere
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2011, 09:53:06 PM »

There are many things God answers and I myself have been witness to these miracles, but unnaturally re-growing a limb is not something he just hands out. He works in the confines of his creation and rarely goes to great lengths to contradict or inhibit that which he has set up.

Err... Where does it say that in the Bible, if you don't mind my asking? I am rather confused...

Offline 12 Monkeys

• Fellow
  • Darwins +67/-10
  • Dii hau dang ijii
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2011, 10:44:28 PM »
^^^^^ and why does he give the ability to re-grow limbs to other animals like salamanders?
There's no right there's no wrong,there's just popular opinion (Brad Pitt as Jeffery Goines in 12 monkeys)

Offline albeto

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +68/-1
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2011, 12:55:21 AM »
^^^^^ and why does he give the ability to re-grow limbs to other animals like salamanders?

Maybe salamanders are the only species that doesn't do gay stuff with each other?

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +169/-6
  • You're wearing the juice, aren't you?"
« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2011, 11:30:34 AM »

surely you don't mean that JC raised from the dead and is the literal savior of the human race. &)

You see, yuo are picking and choosing.  This is often called using your magic decoder ring.
"There is no use in arguing with a man who can multiply anything by the square root of minus 1" - Pirates of Venus, ERB

http://clubschadenfreude.wordpress.com/

Offline Brakeman

• Reader
  • Darwins +47/-3
« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2011, 11:36:44 AM »
Tweet,

Have you prayed for perfect understanding of the scriptures? I can't see how it could be god's will to refuse such a prayer. Go ahead and pray for it and get back with us on what god said.

Inquiring minds want to know..
Help find the cure for FUNDAMENTIA !

Offline stuffin

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +25/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2011, 12:11:32 PM »

NO, pain is physiological response which is a message that something is awry in one’s body.
A true troll does not fear banning. Thanks GB

I pushed my soul in a deep dark hole and then I followed it in

Poverty is the parent of revolution and crime.
Aristotle

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +169/-6
  • You're wearing the juice, aren't you?"
« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2011, 01:43:32 PM »

I should have addressed this earlier.  Pain is not "good" as stuffin explained.  Pain is pain.  It does get us to recoil from dangerous actions.  However it is not "good" and it does not teach anyone anything but a basic animal-level response.  I often see Christians all sure that their god causes pain to "teach" someone something, be it causing pain to force a response from a person, or causing pain to another person to "teach" an observer. 

I would not want anyone to suffer to teach me anything.  That is sadistic and selfish. 

However, tweet, if you think this life is just a training ground for the next, I'm sure you would have absolutely no problem in donating a hand, a leg, your face, etc to someone who doesn't feel the same way.  Since we now have surgical techniques and anti-rejection medicines that allow limbs and faces to be transplanted, surely you don't need two hands or two legs, etc?  If this world is so trivial, it should be no problem.

and if this is too extreme, why don't I see Christians who make the same claims as you do volunteering for often lethal jobs?  Where is the army of land mine removers if this life is so "trivial"? 

But I'm guessing you don't really believe that at all. You just use the claim that this life is "trivial" as an excuse for the inaction of your god.
"There is no use in arguing with a man who can multiply anything by the square root of minus 1" - Pirates of Venus, ERB

http://clubschadenfreude.wordpress.com/

Offline Benny

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +16/-1
  • Hugs And Love
    • My YouTube channel
« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2011, 01:49:58 PM »

surely you don't mean that JC raised from the dead and is the literal savior of the human race. &)

You see, yuo are picking and choosing.  This is often called using your magic decoder ring.

^ THIS

Darwins have been awarded.  That is all.
Gay atheist teen.  But none of that should matter.

Watch me on YouTube: youtube.com/heathenbenny

Offline stuffin

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +25/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2011, 01:56:43 PM »
Even if we look at emotional pain (I prefer emotional distress), it is still a bodily response to a stressor which presents danger to the organism.
A true troll does not fear banning. Thanks GB

I pushed my soul in a deep dark hole and then I followed it in

Poverty is the parent of revolution and crime.
Aristotle

Online screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +552/-22
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2011, 02:49:21 PM »
tweety:

you have misunderstood the point of the question.  Here is my stock answer to help you understand:

There is a certian type of xian who attempts to justify his or her god beliefs by claiming that people are miraculously healed of various afflictions by divine intervention.  The afflictions may include cancer, diabetes, coma, heart conditions, tooth decay, halitosis, spastic colon, etc.  We frequently hear anecdotes about how some church group prayed for some guy and the next day he was completely healed. 

But there are several problems with this kind of reasoning.  First, data shows many of these types of afflictions sometimes "clear up" without any kind of prayers.  It seems to be a natural response or a misdiagnosis.  Second, people of all religions make the same claims.  And last, there is a whole class of ailments that are never, ever cured by prayer or naturally. 

People never regrow lost limbs.  Lost eyes never regrow in the empty sockets.  Retarded people never gain normal mental capacity. Alzheimers and Dementia sufferers never recover.  Old people never rejuvenate. 

This has clear implications about a god that supposedly heals people.  It leaves you only a few conclusions about such a god.
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Online jynnan tonnix

• Reader
  • Darwins +68/-1
« Reply #27 on: September 14, 2011, 04:13:13 PM »
^^^
I've seen you, and others, use this list of things which god supposedly "heals"...but it always confuses me that tooth decay is listed among those things. Unless I am mistaken, isn't tooth decay irreversible? I know I've read about a fringe group here and there which wants to claim having their rotten teeth made whole, or fillings changing to solid gold, or something or another, but I wasn't aware that there was any verification of these claims. And if there WAS verification, I'd have to say that would sound either very impressive or very suspect.

Offline FearlessWarrior

• Freshman
  • Darwins +1/-1
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #28 on: September 15, 2011, 02:45:05 AM »
Because Brakeman, when God fails to do something that could be done with no difficulty whatsoever, those who believe God is actually real will go out of their way to make excuses, and even pretend to know the very mind of God, something that we know is impossible for mere humans.

Everything good is God, and everything bad is our misunderstanding of God, or God's wrath upon the heathens.  It's beyond laughable.  But look at me, preaching to the choir!

There are many things God answers and I myself have been witness to these miracles, but unnaturally re-growing a limb is not something he just hands out. He works in the confines of his creation and rarely goes to great lengths to contradict or inhibit that which he has set up.

Err... Where does it say that in the Bible, if you don't mind my asking? I am rather confused...

Lady A, maybe this verse will clear up your confusion? As to re-growing limbs, I have yet to see it but that does not means it is impossible! I mean, seriously, God is the all-powerful Creator. Limbs have been healed though from accidents, being born that way, anything pretty much.

Isaiah 55:
8  For my thoughts are not your thoughts,
neither are your ways my ways, declares the Lord.
9  For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
so are my ways higher than your ways
and my thoughts than your thoughts.

Jetson, that verse is for you too.

I'm not making excuses for my God. He does not need me. I need Him. My God is not inadequate. He can and does heal. I (and others) have experienced His healing.
I don't know the mind of God. I only know what He has revealed to me. His presence is unexplainable. His power, unimaginable.
Everything good is God for (obviously) God is good. When man sinned, man broke the amazing relationship with God. Evil came into the world -- Satan took over.
God did not create evil. How can evil be the so-called misunderstanding of God if GOD is indeed GOOD?
It can't be...