Author Topic: Palin Scoffs Fruit Fly Research  (Read 898 times)

Offline PingTheServer

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • Devil's Advocate
Palin Scoffs Fruit Fly Research
« on: October 24, 2008, 08:12:40 PM »
Sara Palin said today in HER FIRST POLICY SPEECH (wtf...it's almost over already...another subject) that funding Autism and Special Needs research was a priority of hers.  In the same moment, she gave examples of wasted earmark money that could fund her cause, such as FRUIT FLY RESEARCH.

It is painfully evident she has never had a scientific advisor, and has a mental midgit writing her speeches.

http://thinkprogress.org/2008/10/24/palin-fruit-flies/

The discovery, made in Drosophila fruit flies may lead to advances in understanding autism spectrum disorders, as recently, human neurexins have been identified as a genetic risk factor for autism.

The study of fruit flies has also been used for other autism research and “revolutionize[d]” the study of birth defects.

Lets forget for a moment that this is her first policy speech and the election is almost over.
Lets forget that McCain wants to put a spending freeze on everything except veteran and national defense.
Aside from those two mind blasting topics, it is embarassing to the republican party that they have hoisted such an imbecile to one of the most visible jobs in the world.  She is so educationally bankrupt she cant even possibly imagine how research on anything other than humans could help humans.

Fruit flies dont have DNA.  Fruit flies don't have cells.  JESUS CHRIST!!

Offline bahramthered

• Fellow
  • Darwins +0/-0
Re: Palin Scoffs Fruit Fly Research
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2008, 08:31:26 PM »
Actually the idot even expanded the non banned iteams in the budget to include funding for special needs people.

And yeah she has a science advisor. You'd think he'd be the highest paid advisor in the campagain to get the idot up to speed on real issues. Guess who was top paid so far for Oct. The idot's Make up artist who's day job is a reality TV show.

I've been saying since the day she was announced she'd drag the old guy down. Her speeches show it. Her interviews show it. The polls show it. But what the heck;

GO GO PALIN, FINISH McCAIN'S CARRER! NOW DO YOURS!

Offline PingTheServer

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • Devil's Advocate
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2008, 10:25:20 PM »
More news on the fruit fly and her views on science in general:

http://www.slate.com/id/2203120

It was in 1933 that Thomas Hunt Morgan won a Nobel Prize for showing that genes are passed on by way of chromosomes. The experimental creature that he employed in the making of this great discovery was the Drosophila melanogaster, or fruit fly.

Sen. John McCain has made repeated use of an anti-waste and anti-pork ad (several times repeated and elaborated in his increasingly witless speeches) in which the expenditure of $3 million to study the DNA of grizzly bears in Montana was derided as "unbelievable." As an excellent article in the Feb. 8, 2008, Scientific American pointed out, there is no way to enforce the Endangered Species Act without getting some sort of estimate of numbers, and the best way of tracking and tracing the elusive grizzly is by setting up barbed-wire hair-snagging stations that painlessly take samples from the bears as they lumber by and then running the DNA samples through a laboratory. The cost is almost trivial compared with the importance of understanding this species, and I dare say the project will yield results in the measurement of other animal populations as well, but all McCain could do was be flippant and say that he wondered whether it was a "paternity" or "criminal" issue that the Fish and Wildlife Service was investigating.

Palin also says that she doesn't think humans are responsible for global warming; again, one would like to ask her whether, like some of her co-religionists, she is a "premillenial dispensationalist"—in other words, someone who believes that there is no point in protecting and preserving the natural world, since the end of days will soon be upon us.

This is what the Republican Party has done to us this year: It has placed within reach of the Oval Office a woman who is a religious fanatic and a proud, boastful ignoramus. Those who despise science and learning are not anti-elitist. They are morally and intellectually slothful people who are secretly envious of the educated and the cultured. And those who prate of spiritual warfare and demons are not just "people of faith" but theocratic bullies. On Nov. 4, anyone who cares for the Constitution has a clear duty to repudiate this wickedness and stupidity.

Offline MadBunny

• Fellow
  • Darwins +110/-0
  • Fallen Illuminatus
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2008, 01:56:26 AM »
Isn't it always awesome to deride and scoff at real reasearch that can benefit people?
I've been wondering at the public conciousness that actively pushes away the idea that pure research can be useful, yet demands technology for every aspect of their lives.
Give a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night.  Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Offline Azdgari

• Laureate
  • Darwins +268/-31
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2008, 06:59:48 AM »
Keep in mind that because fruit flies can breed and mutate quickly enough to actually speciate with the right environmental pressures, they're direct evidence of evolution.  And the Republicans can't have that.
The highest moral human authority is copied by our Gandhi neurons through observation.

Offline bahramthered

• Fellow
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2008, 08:52:48 AM »
But this was protien research. Fundies don't usually object to that.

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +169/-6
  • You're wearing the juice, aren't you?"
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2008, 02:52:05 PM »
anti-intellectualism, it's harmed more than one civilization.

I do wish that it was possible to forbid such idiots from using the fruits of the bad bad scientists.  Seeing Gov. Palin wrapped in half-rotted skins and dying of smallpox would content me. 
"There is no use in arguing with a man who can multiply anything by the square root of minus 1" - Pirates of Venus, ERB

http://clubschadenfreude.wordpress.com/

Offline PingTheServer

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • Devil's Advocate
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2008, 08:31:35 PM »
Isn't it always awesome to deride and scoff at real reasearch that can benefit people?
I've been wondering at the public conciousness that actively pushes away the idea that pure research can be useful, yet demands technology for every aspect of their lives.

Scoffing it is one thing...I could attribute that to pandering to her mentally retarded base.  What is so painful to digest though is how ignorant she is, that she is so ignorant.  She doesnt even know enough to know what she doesnt know.

IF ALL ELSE FAILS READ THE INSTRUCTIONS --- BIBLE OMGOMGOMFOMOJKIOKOFKEIJEIJFLEJDFEILJEF

Jesus christ 

choupick

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2008, 10:35:46 PM »
Keep in mind that because fruit flies can breed and mutate quickly enough to actually speciate with the right environmental pressures, they're direct evidence of evolution.  And the Republicans can't have that.

This is more true than you know where I live. 

choupick

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2008, 10:39:16 PM »

I think it is awesome.  Yesterday a fellow science major told me they were a young earth creationist, as they typed on a smart phone connected to the internet.  You normally can't get that much irony together with out fusion occurring.

Offline Azdgari

• Laureate
  • Darwins +268/-31
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2008, 06:15:42 AM »

Do you mean that Republicans hate evolution where you are?  Or, do you mean that fruit-flies evolve at a super-fast rate where you are???  :o
The highest moral human authority is copied by our Gandhi neurons through observation.

Offline Cycle4Fun

• Reader
  • Darwins +2/-0
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2008, 11:04:45 AM »

I think it is awesome.  Yesterday a fellow science major told me they were a young earth creationist, as they typed on a smart phone connected to the internet.  You normally can't get that much irony together with out fusion occurring.

I would have stopped and just gaped at him with my mouth hanging wide open.  Then in an incredulous voice ask, "Are you joking?"
How do you define soul?
"A baseless assertion by simple-minded, superstitious individuals"
   -Starstuff

choupick

« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2008, 03:28:58 PM »

Do you mean that Republicans hate evolution where you are?  Or, do you mean that fruit-flies evolve at a super-fast rate where you are???  :o

Both.  Our republicans hate evolution and our fruit flies are mutating like crazy... but mostly the republican part.