Author Topic: 1,000mph speed record target of UK team  (Read 528 times)

Offline Frank

• Reader
  • Darwins +38/-20
  • You're doin' my head in!!
1,000mph speed record target of UK team
« on: October 24, 2008, 01:44:57 PM »

Richard Noble will once again head a British team intent on not only retaining the current land speed record, but eclipsing it by exceeding 1,000mph.

Noble set a 633mph record himself and then managed the Thrust SSC record, which stands today at 766mph.

RAF pilot, Andy Green, was the driver of Thrust SSC and he has already volunteered to steer the new car to seal the record.

Called Bloodhound SSC, the new record breaker utilises a prototype Eurofighter jet engine donated to the project and a specially made 'hybrid' rocket.

The jet engine should have the capability to accelerate the car to 300mph, at which point the rocket's massive thrust is calculated to push the Bloodhound beyond 1,000mph.

Engineers have calculated that Green will have to withstand acceleration forces of 2.5G, as the car will reach 1,050mph from a standstill in just 40 seconds. Braking forces will exceed 3G, potentially resulting in the driver blacking out.

http://uk.cars.yahoo.com/23102008/36/1-000mph-speed-record-target-uk-team-0.html
"Atheism is not a mission to convert the world. It only seems that way because when other religions fall away, atheism is what is left behind".

Offline Irish

• Fellow
  • Darwins +18/-0
  • Moraxella catarrhalis on BA
Re: 1,000mph speed record target of UK team
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2008, 02:39:43 PM »
Good grief, 1,000 mph on land!

I have to say though, 2.5G and 3.0G are not that much considering fighter pilots can routinely pull upwards of 9.0G's in hard banking turns.
La scienze non ha nemici ma gli ignoranti.

Offline Frank

• Reader
  • Darwins +38/-20
  • You're doin' my head in!!
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2008, 03:15:24 PM »
Good grief, 1,000 mph on land!

I have to say though, 2.5G and 3.0G are not that much considering fighter pilots can routinely pull upwards of 9.0G's in hard banking turns.

It is when your arse is moving at 1000 mph an inch from the ground. You hit a matchstick at that speed and you won't live to talk about it.
"Atheism is not a mission to convert the world. It only seems that way because when other religions fall away, atheism is what is left behind".

Offline commsky

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • Life is just one big Battle Royale
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2008, 07:56:44 PM »
Shiny car go fast
7th grade, I realize my classmates actually believe this crap.