Author Topic: Thought I might 're-introduce' myself  (Read 994 times)

Offline Samuelxcs

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +6/-18
  • The oldest and strongest emotion of humans is fear
    • Fallen Angels
Thought I might 're-introduce' myself
« on: September 02, 2011, 08:43:51 AM »
My last introduction was based on unclear factors, I did get baptised when I was young, but I do not believe what christians believe. I am an agnostic deist - I do not know for certain, but I think there is a god that started the universe but does not actively meddle with it or us.

I consider to have that position because I would like there to be a 'God', even if there is not it would still be a nice idea. There would be alot of things I could ask any God if that God created us, looking at the world we are in now, with all these people here, who wouldn't want to confront the so called 'God' that might exist.

If it were my place to make decisions for this world, I would let everyone kill each other for whatever reason they want, God or no God. humanity doesn't deserve to exist anyway. Go wild!
"The stupid neither forgive nor forget; the naïve forgive and forget; the wise forgive but do not forget."
-Thomas Szasz

Offline Mr. Blackwell

• Fellow
  • Darwins +76/-23
Re: Thought I might 're-introduce' myself
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2011, 09:52:16 AM »
That is the category I find myself in as well. Although I am rather ambivalent about whether there may or may not be a god, I don't see how knowing there is such a thing would change my life in any fundamental way.

If it were my place to make decisions for this world, I would let everyone kill each other for whatever reason they want, God or no God. humanity doesn't deserve to exist anyway. Go wild!

This just kind of makes me sad. But we can discuss that later, or not ;)
I show affection for my pets by holding them against me and whispering, "I love you" repeatedly as they struggle to break free.

Offline Larissa238

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +12/-1
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2011, 07:09:06 PM »
Welcome! I know there is no god, even though it would be nice if there was one. To each their own. I was baptized as an adult into a cult, and I regret that. But I have to take responsibility for my actions and woman up to the things I've done. I look forward to hearing more from you.
On why Christians and non-Christians have the same rate of divorce:

He would rather it that they worship Him, instead of spending their time on family.

Online jetson

• Administrator
  • Darwins +170/-6
  • Meet George Jetson!
    • Jet Blog
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2011, 09:45:20 AM »
You can "woman" up to things now?  Damn, I'm getting old...that slipped right by me.  I will have to alert my wife.  There are some things I believe she should woman up to, like raising my allowance, and giving me a chore break on holiday weekends.   ;D

Offline Babdah

• Graduate
  • Darwins +4/-3
  • “We live in an age disturbed, confused, bewildered
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2011, 10:15:06 AM »
A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking
“We live in an age disturbed, confused, bewildered, afraid of its own forces, in search not merely of its road but even of its direction

Offline Omen

• Professor
  • Darwins +105/-15
  • One of the fucking bad guys; not friendly, tiger!
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2011, 10:33:40 AM »

or logically arrived to the only plausible answer.

Are you going to move from thread to thread posting dimwitted passive aggressive platitudes.. not really responding to anything in detail?
"Religious faith is the antithesis to knowledge, it is the opposition to education, and it has to act in animosity against the free exchange of ideas.  Why? Because those things are what cause harm to a religions place in society most." - Me

Offline curiousgirl

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +22/-0
  • Inquisitive agnostic atheist
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2011, 10:38:44 AM »

Are you psychologically projecting?
"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence."-Carl Sagan

Offline Babdah

• Graduate
  • Darwins +4/-3
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2011, 10:39:55 AM »

Are you psychologically projecting?
you can say that
“We live in an age disturbed, confused, bewildered, afraid of its own forces, in search not merely of its road but even of its direction

Offline curiousgirl

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +22/-0
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2011, 10:49:53 AM »
you can say that

So you reached a conclusion (you said you are a Christian) that God exists because you got tired of thinking? That's what your statements suggest.

Offline Babdah

• Graduate
  • Darwins +4/-3
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2011, 11:00:08 AM »
you can say that

So you reached a conclusion (you said you are a Christian) that God exists because you got tired of thinking? That's what your statements suggest.
we are not allowed to discuss in this forum, please look under Science.

Offline curiousgirl

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +22/-0
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2011, 11:04:58 AM »
we are not allowed to discuss in this forum, please look under Science.

Then you probably shouldn't have posted this comment in the first place:

Offline Babdah

• Graduate
  • Darwins +4/-3
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2011, 11:37:43 AM »
you are right...

Offline chrissie39

• Novice
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • WWGHA Member
Hello
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2011, 11:55:28 AM »
Hi, this might be interesting.  I truly believe in God but not the man in the sky they taught me about in Sunday school and church.  I gave up that God when I intellectualised/reasoned that no God would let innocent children suffer etc etc.  Then I discovered the real God.  The God of consciousness, the God who is consciousness.  The God that is in each and every one of us conscious creatures.  The God that is impressing itself through us.  That's the real God and that's why God won't heal amputees.  Amputees have to heal themselves.  The power (God) is within them.  And of course no-one has done it because up to this present time no-one believes they can.  Like the 4 minute mile and complete recovery from aids it is deemed impossible until someone does it and then, once the barrier is broken others can and will do it.

Who's going to be the first?  Who knows.  When will it happen?  Again, who knows but it will because to God nothing is impossible.  Christine     

Offline curiousgirl

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +22/-0
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2011, 12:02:56 PM »
Then I discovered the real God.  The God of consciousness, the God who is consciousness.  The God that is in each and every one of us conscious creatures.  The God that is impressing itself through us.  That's the real God and that's why God won't heal amputees.  Amputees have to heal themselves.  The power (God) is within them.  And of course no-one has done it because up to this present time no-one believes they can. 

Chrissie39, please read this:

http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Self_projection_as_god

Self Projection as God (SPAG) describes the phenomenon through which believers, when trying to trying to ascribe a personality and wishes to their chosen god, tend to arrive at something that is oddly similar to what they themselves think and feel.

Offline Babdah

• Graduate
  • Darwins +4/-3
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2011, 12:13:21 PM »

or logically arrived to the only plausible answer.

Are you going to move from thread to thread posting dimwitted passive aggressive platitudes.. not really responding to anything in detail?

your right i was trying to fill my thing so that i could post and i apologized

Offline Avatar Of Belial

• Graduate
  • Darwins +30/-1
  • I'm not an Evil person; I just act like one!
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2011, 12:53:25 PM »
Welcome to the forum Sam, good to have you here.

I consider to have that position because I would like there to be a 'God', even if there is not it would still be a nice idea.

So, to clarify, you only believe because you want it to be, as opposed to having something more... solid... to support that belief?

The God of consciousness, the God who is consciousness.  The God that is in each and every one of us conscious creatures.  The God that is impressing itself through us.  That's the real God

Wee! Sounds like a cult recruiter.
"You play make-believe every day of your life, and yet you have no concept of 'imagination'."
I do not have "faith" in science. I have expectations of science. "Faith" in something is an unfounded assertion, whereas reasonable expectations require a precedent.

Offline Hatter23

• Fellow
  • Darwins +258/-7
  • Doesn't believe in one more god than you
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2011, 01:50:51 PM »

Because 2+2=4 still requires so much more consideration(eyeroll)
An Omnipowerful God needed to sacrifice himself to himself (but only for a long weekend) in order to avert his own wrath against his own creations who he made in a manner knowing that they weren't going to live up to his standards.

And you should feel guilty for this. Give me money.

Offline Samuelxcs

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +6/-18
  • The oldest and strongest emotion of humans is fear
    • Fallen Angels
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2011, 04:26:35 AM »
Welcome to the forum Sam, good to have you here.

I consider to have that position because I would like there to be a 'God', even if there is not it would still be a nice idea.

So, to clarify, you only believe because you want it to be, as opposed to having something more... solid... to support that belief?

I don't believe because I want it to be, I believe because I think it is a possibility. Alot of people do think the universe was created by the 'big bang', but how did that happen and why? If there was something there to make that bang happen to build up this universe and everything in it, where did the stuff come from that made the bang happen in the first place? I would believe in something more 'solid' rather than just believing because I want 'God' to exist, if there were more evidence.
"The stupid neither forgive nor forget; the naïve forgive and forget; the wise forgive but do not forget."
-Thomas Szasz