Author Topic: One logical reason god might not heal amputees  (Read 11361 times)

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +169/-6
  • You're wearing the juice, aren't you?"
Re: One logical reason god might not heal amputees
« Reply #145 on: December 02, 2011, 10:27:12 AM »
the power of prayer comes through faith. you cannot pray to God to heal you if you don't have any faith. God has feelings too and if you've been ignoring Him for the rest of your lives but then out of the blue show up for His assistance you would have to expect some delays or it'll be unfair for those who have been praying with faith all their lives. God is Jus and you cannot fool him with prayers. He knows what you've been doing and what your saying and He's not stupid!
Unfortunately, his followers, like you, certainly do a good impression of being stupid.  You have demonstrated yourself to be one more TrueChristiantm who wants to make believe that his version of Christianity is the only right one.   The problem with your claims is that you would try to claim that NO one has prayed in the "right" way.  How convenient.  What's sad is that if you ever get an amputation, you'll come up with another excuse on why your god doesn't do anything for you.

It's hilarious that you want to claim that this god is fair. Well, it would be fair to actuually fulfill its promises, but it doesn't. It seems to need to rely on ignorant humans like you to defend it, if it exists at all. 
do you even know how to pray with faith? when you have faith you would know because of the Holy Spirit. Praying doesn't mean blabbering words of what you need and whatnot but simply a way of understanding first how to approach God in prayer. Personally, I cannot pray routinely because jus of the thought of talking to God takes me hours to think. Approaching God in prayer is as important as the words your uttering. God is not some Statue or jus a thought. He is the Creator and he has feelings too. Approaching Him is like appraoching the President of the Universe or something. It's not easy as most religion teaches. You have to understand that He is God and approaching requires deep thinking. Only through this would you know the answers to your prayers. 
and here comes the claim that there is a “right” way to pray.  So, Lance, tell us the right speciall way to think, and then we can test your claims.  Surely if it works for you, it’ll work for us.  Define “deep thinking” for us, so we can known exactly what you mean.  Of course, I can pretty much predict, that no matter what you claim, these prayers won’t work either, and you’ll decide that again, no one was doing it “right” to cover up your incompetence and lies.  Now how will that work when you go to pray to your god again, when it should know that you tried to move the goalposts?  Can you lie to your god?
"There is no use in arguing with a man who can multiply anything by the square root of minus 1" - Pirates of Venus, ERB

http://clubschadenfreude.wordpress.com/

Offline EV

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +52/-1
  • Philosopher, Atheist, Musician, Philanthropist
    • My Website
« Reply #146 on: December 02, 2011, 05:49:09 PM »
Simple minded fools. Do you people really think God is this simple. God doe exist! And blaming God for not healing amputees is like equating the universe with a hair. I can explain why God does not heal amputees but I would have to think like God and consider everything that amputee has done in the past and look into his future and see into his/her heart. God knows everything and he has all the reason to heal anyone but for a bloody reason. He is the truth and truth doesn't sway easily with desires. Accept what you have and believe in God!

Hey, this makes a hell of a lot of sense....

I've found the reason why God doesn't heal amputees.

I HAVE FOUND THE REASON.
"Although it is not true that all conservatives are stupid people, it is true that most stupid people are conservative."
- Philosopher John Stuart Mill, from a Parliamentary debate (May 31, 1866);

Offline Graybeard

• Darwins +467/-16
  • Is this going somewhere?
« Reply #147 on: December 03, 2011, 12:42:11 PM »
... if you've been ignoring Him for the rest of your lives but then out of the blue show up for His assistance you would have to expect some delays  ...
Where does it say that in the Bible, Lance? Where does it say that once we have accepted Jesus, there is a waiting period before Salvation, and a waiting period before prayers will be answered.

Please see Revelation 21:8.

Lance, I think that you think God is like a Super-Lance and that God would behave just like you would.

RELIGION, n. A daughter of Hope and Fear, explaining to Ignorance the nature of the Unknowable. Ambrose Bierce

Offline Lance

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +0/-35
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #148 on: December 04, 2011, 06:20:46 PM »
People, the best way to understand God is to know Him that he is jus like us except He's perfect - He's pure in all righteousness and LOVE. But he has feelings too. So think of Him this way and you'll know what I mean. Cheers!

Offline JeffPT

• Reader
  • Darwins +187/-0
  • I'm a lead farmer mutha fucka
« Reply #149 on: December 04, 2011, 07:04:06 PM »
People, the best way to understand God is to know Him that he is jus like us except He's perfect - He's pure in all righteousness and LOVE. But he has feelings too. So think of Him this way and you'll know what I mean. Cheers!

You need to define this God character of yours a bit more fully, Lance.  Aside from this nebulous word... perfect... In what ways is he different from just being you?  Is He omnipotent? Omniscient? Omnibenevolent?  Do you ever disagree with what God does or says?   What does "perfect" mean to you, and what happens when my definition of "perfect" is different than yours?  Who's definition of "perfect" are we to use?  God's?  And what if God's definition of "perfect" is different than mine?  Am I allowed to judge Him on that basis?   

What does "He's pure in all righteousness and love" mean in English terms?  I know you probably like to write stuff like that and just bask in the beauty of the words, but what, exactly does that mean? 

And if God is just like us, then why does he let 29,000 children die every day of starvation, when he could fix that with the snap of His righteous fingers?  What feelings does God have when He watches them all die in horrible pain? 

Whenever events that are purported to occur in our best interest are as numerous as the events that will just as soon kill us, then intent is hard, if not impossible to assert. NDT

Offline Lance

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +0/-35
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #150 on: December 04, 2011, 07:08:07 PM »
Hi JeffPT can you repost ur question in my thread. I don't want to be banned since this is somebody's thread. thanks

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +169/-6
« Reply #151 on: December 05, 2011, 09:46:15 AM »

I do enjoy this.  Claims by yet one more Chrsitain that they understand their god so well, but then when the hard questions come, they mysteriously don't. 

Waht I find amusing is that Lance's god can't even fulfil the definition of love that its magic holy book gives.  Bummer.
"There is no use in arguing with a man who can multiply anything by the square root of minus 1" - Pirates of Venus, ERB

Offline Graybeard

• Darwins +467/-16
  • Is this going somewhere?
« Reply #152 on: December 06, 2011, 03:30:13 PM »
People, the best way to understand God is to know Him that he is jus like us except He's perfect
How many times have you accepted human sacrifice and cause the sacrifice's death Lance? That's what a perfect god does.
How many times have you committed genocide because someone didn't agree with you, Lance? That's what a perfect god does.
How many times have you made donkeys and snakes speak, Lance? That's what a perfect god does.
Lance, why does the Bible say god cannot be understood... yet you understand him?
RELIGION, n. A daughter of Hope and Fear, explaining to Ignorance the nature of the Unknowable. Ambrose Bierce

Online nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +783/-4
  • Jehovah's Witness Protection Program
« Reply #153 on: December 06, 2011, 05:34:49 PM »
God has feelings, too. Just like us, only perfect. What kind of feelings? Human type feelings? Love and hate, like Robert Mitchum in Night of the Hunter[1]. Fear and loathing? Happy, sleepy, dopey, grumpy? Lusty? Horny?

What could possibly make a perfect omnipotent being have feelings about anything? Do you get the disconnect here? A perfect being would not have to feel anything except maybe constant contentment with his perfectness!

So I guess god has a brain and a nervous system to store those feelings in, does he? Does he also have a heart, a home and da noive? ;D
 1. You wanna see a scary a$$ classic film about the quintessential psychopathic killer, you gotta watch this. And he plays a religious fanatic preacher to boot!
Extraordinary claims of the bible don't even have ordinary evidence.

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +169/-6
« Reply #154 on: December 07, 2011, 09:00:54 AM »
that is indeed one scary movie.   

Offline Iamrational

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +9/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #155 on: December 07, 2011, 12:40:11 PM »
I can explain why God does not heal amputees but I would have to think like God and consider everything that amputee has done in the past and look into his future and see into his/her heart.

All right Lance. Fair enough. So explain the godly purpose of Tetra-amelia syndrome. Your logic suggests that these people were bound to torch the world, so instead god just made them nubs. That is a trade off. Search your heart for that one.

Offline joebbowers

• Reader
  • Darwins +91/-47
    • My Photography
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #156 on: January 17, 2012, 03:39:11 AM »

Would a being of pure righteousness and LOVE create evil? Or are you just making up the God that you want to believe in, as all Christians do?

Isaiah 45:7 in the King James Version reads, “I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things.”

"Do you see a problem with insisting that the normal ways in which you determine fact from fiction is something you have to turn off in order to maintain the belief in God?" - JeffPT

Offline ungod

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +15/-9
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #157 on: January 21, 2012, 04:07:01 AM »

Would a being of pure righteousness and LOVE create evil? Or are you just making up the God that you want to believe in, as all Christians do?

Isaiah 45:7 in the King James Version reads, “I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things.”
Xtian response:

Reason is a whore, the greatest enemy that faith has.
Faith must trample under foot all reason, sense, and understanding. - Martin Luther

"What good fortune for those in power that people do not think." - Hitler

Offline rev45

• Reader
  • Darwins +37/-2
  • Did your parents raise you to be an idiot?
« Reply #158 on: January 21, 2012, 12:13:34 PM »
^Not necessarily.   You'll have some that will tell you that the original word for evil, "ra" I believe, doesn't always mean evil but that it could also mean mischief.  But then you try to tell them that the same word is used when describing the tree of Good and Evil (mischief?) in the Garden of Eden.  And that if you can apply the different meaning for the word in the Isaiah verse why not apply it to the description of the tree in Eden.  And then it becomes a bitching match of how to apply a word in a book of fairy tales.  I've been there, it's not fun.
Here read a book.  It's free.
http://www.literatureproject.com/

Could a being create the fifty billion galaxies, each with two hundred billion stars, then rejoice in the smell of burning goat flesh?   Ron Patterson

Offline GodlessHeathen

• Graduate
  • Darwins +9/-1
  • Absence of evidence is not evidence of existence.
« Reply #159 on: March 01, 2012, 05:41:48 PM »
He doesn't heal amputees right now because it would be a very powerful prove of his existence, and he wants us to have faith on him, in the Bible it says Jesus healed an amputee.

Does not the same Bible you refer to also state that "God is no respector of persons" (Acts 10:34)? Would it not indeed make God a respecter of persons if he healed an amputee 2,000 years ago and yet he will not heal amputees today?

God bless you all, I will pray for you really hard, and try to explain the best I can why you are mistaken, hopefully you will understand the TRUTH.

And who is the authority who gets to decide exactly what is TRUTH? You?? Are you infallible?
"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence" (Christopher Hitchens).

Offline sterlingwarlock

• Freshman
  • Darwins +0/-4
  • WWGHA Member
    • The SterlingWarlock
« Reply #160 on: March 08, 2012, 10:34:36 AM »
God does not heal amputees because he is not in this world, Lucifer (a reptiliian angel) owns this world.He was cast here from heaven, the fallen angel.  He does not want to show himself to the public.

www.thesterlingwarlock.20m.com
« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 10:36:29 AM by sterlingwarlock »
"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident."
                                 —Arthur Schopenhauer (German philosopher, 1788-1860)

Offline Aaron123

• Fellow
  • Darwins +77/-1
« Reply #161 on: March 08, 2012, 10:46:03 AM »
God does not heal amputees because he is not in this world,

So bascially, prayer and belief in god is meaningless.

Lucifer (a reptiliian angel) owns this world.

Care to point me to the certificate of ownership?

He was cast here from heaven, the fallen angel. 

Well, Mr. Lucifer did quite alright for himself.  He got kicked out badly by his employers, then bounced back in the lucrative field of world domination.  He must've gotten a good tip at the stock market.

He does not want to show himself to the public.

For an emperor, he's quite a shy guy, eh?  Perhaps he needs some friends to help chip away that shyness.
Being a Christian, I've made my decision. That decision offers no compromise; therefore, I'm closed to anything else.

Offline ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +690/-3
  • Hide and Seek World Champion since 1958!
« Reply #162 on: March 08, 2012, 11:07:30 AM »
God does not heal amputees because he is not in this world, Lucifer (a reptiliian angel) owns this world.He was cast here from heaven, the fallen angel.  He does not want to show himself to the public.

www.thesterlingwarlock.20m.com

I love crap like this, and even though this is a long dead thread I have to respond.

It appears that the only thing the good guy (god) and the bad guy (the devil, whoever) both want to stay invisible to humans. Now if god wants to depend on faith, etc. and it is important to him to stay hidden so humans need to use belief, that's fine I guess. He's god. But if lucifer wants to take over the world and get our allegiance and a few other things, you would think him showing up in person would be a real plus.

Surely lucifer has no incentive to stay hidden. It's not like he's gonna get in trouble or anything for appearing to us.

But I just thought of something. What if they are BOTH made up? What if neither one is real? Then they couldn't show themselves, and their followers and detractors who think they are real would have to make up some pile of crap about why they stay invisible. And they would expect us to believe it and everything.

I get it...
Not everyone is entitled to their opinion. They're all entitled to mine though.

Offline Mr. Blackwell

• Fellow
  • Darwins +76/-23
« Reply #163 on: March 08, 2012, 11:31:02 AM »

2. You are a fucking joke. Even if Satan were real that doesn't explain why God[1] doesn't bother to heal amputees. Do you even know that there is a difference between Satan and Lucifer?[2]OH DEAR SWEET BABY JESUS KEEP ME FROM HURTING THIS FOOL! And WHY THEE FUCK would *Lucifer* be reptiliian? 

3. Unless we are talking about aliens, then that would make perfect sense...hmmm...you may have a point. Well, I for one welcome our new reptilian overlords.
 1. If he were real
 2. Where is Lucifer when we need him to set this fool straight?
« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 11:34:52 AM by jaybwell32 »
I show affection for my pets by holding them against me and whispering, "I love you" repeatedly as they struggle to break free.

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +266/-34
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
« Reply #164 on: March 08, 2012, 11:37:02 AM »
Ask and ye shall receive, jaybwell32.

Hello there, sterlingwarlock. My name is Lucifer. You'd be surprised to know that Lucifer and Satan are not one and the same. "Lucifer" isn't even a proper name. It's a title (Lightbringer/Morningstar), used to refer to a regular old angel (didn't rebel; didn't do anything out of the ordinary), a Babylonian (IIRC) king (who is the origin of the Lucifer=Satan mistake) and Jesus himself.
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

A.K.A.: Blaziken_rjcf/Lucifer/All In One.

Offline ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +690/-3
  • Hide and Seek World Champion since 1958!
« Reply #165 on: March 08, 2012, 12:39:46 PM »
This is so hard to keep straight. Lets see if I have it right.

The real fake Lucifer: good
The real fake Satan: bad

Our really real Lucifer: very very good.

Ok. Got it. Thanks.
Not everyone is entitled to their opinion. They're all entitled to mine though.

Offline jaimehlers

• Fellow
  • Darwins +511/-12
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #166 on: March 08, 2012, 12:43:25 PM »
Methinks sterlingwarlock has gotten his biblical figures confused, since he's basically mixed up three of them (the Genesis snake, Lucifer, and Satan).

Maybe he'd better go back and read the Bible again.  I'd recommend reading it cover to cover instead of taking what his pastor says as gospel - he might learn something.

Offline GodlessHeathen

• Graduate
  • Darwins +9/-1
« Reply #167 on: March 08, 2012, 12:53:51 PM »
Methinks sterlingwarlock has gotten his biblical figures confused, since he's basically mixed up three of them (the Genesis snake, Lucifer, and Satan).

Maybe he'd better go back and read the Bible again.  I'd recommend reading it cover to cover instead of taking what his pastor says as gospel - he might learn something.

Christians recognize that the idea of a literal walking, talking snake is patently absurd; hence the reason they explain it away as being Satan coming in the "form" of a walking, talking snake. Taken strictly in context, however, the Genesis story does not indicate it to be anything but a literal walking, talking snake.
"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence" (Christopher Hitchens).

Offline Mr. Blackwell

• Fellow
  • Darwins +76/-23
« Reply #168 on: March 08, 2012, 12:54:33 PM »

Oh no, you've got this cat all wrong. He has the power to summon Lucifer. Check out the link to his website. He's almost good enough to become a meme.

« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 01:03:28 PM by jaybwell32 »
I show affection for my pets by holding them against me and whispering, "I love you" repeatedly as they struggle to break free.

Offline rockv12

• Emergency Room
  • Darwins +3/-44
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #169 on: March 11, 2012, 10:20:55 PM »
You must first have a basic theological understanding of God and His character to understand why He doesn't heal people all the time.  Why does God allow bad things to happen, is basically the question?  Right?  Non-Christians, or individuals that are not knowledgeable regarding Scripture will not understand.  Quick and easy.....  God created man, perfect and sinless.  Man sinned.  Sin seperated man from a perfect, holy God.  God requires holiness.  Man was created with free will, because God wants buddies in heaven that WANT to love Him.  The old covenant of reconciliation required perfection and offerings of lambs to God.  God realized this would not work and sent Jesus to die on the cross for our sins.  We are now under a covenant of grace.  Woohoo!  Jesus paid the price for our sins.  However, sin still is in the world.  Bad things happen, God allows them to.  Arms and legs mean nothing, since this world means nothing.  It's temporary.  Children dying in Africa, actually mean nothing...this world...these bodies are temporary!  Our souls are what matters to God.  Suffering is the result of sin....God allows it because He has to.  If He simply healed everyone and stopped bad things from happening, what would that do?  It would erase free will!  We view pain and suffering as the end of the world!!  Someone gets murdered...their temporary Earthly body dies...big deal.. God did NOT create evil....the absence of holiness is sin...therefore, we brought suffering upon ourselves....not God.   LOL, simple right?  Point is you have to look a lot deeper than simply thinking God is a jerk because He allows suffering.  There is far more to it than that....

Offline GodlessHeathen

• Graduate
  • Darwins +9/-1
« Reply #170 on: March 11, 2012, 10:58:34 PM »
(snip)God realized this would not work and sent Jesus to die on the cross for our sins.(snip)

You made one of my main points here without even realizing it. The Bible teaches that god is omniscient (all-knowing). If the Christian God is omniscient, then he knew that humans would sin when he created them. Indeed one is hard-pressed to escape the conclusion that the Christian god thought it was "good" that billions of people would die and go to hell, a condition that could have been avoided had he simply not created them in the first place - all for the very self-centered reason of wanting a bunch of free will "buddies" to hang out with him in heaven. That puts the responsibility right in god's lap.

If the Christian god is omniscient, then he cannot be merciful and good; if he is merciful and good, then he must not have known that the humans he created would sin, in which case he would not be omniscient.

Indeed, where is free will in the ultimatum of "turn or burn"? That's not much of a choice.

Offline Aaron123

• Fellow
  • Darwins +77/-1
« Reply #171 on: March 11, 2012, 11:21:30 PM »
However, sin still is in the world.  Bad things happen, God allows them to.  Arms and legs mean nothing, since this world means nothing.  It's temporary.  Children dying in Africa, actually mean nothing...this world...these bodies are temporary!  Our souls are what matters to God.  Suffering is the result of sin....God allows it because He has to.  If He simply healed everyone and stopped bad things from happening, what would that do?  It would erase free will! 

This is a lot more telling than you think.  Basically, you expect the universe to operate as though there is no god.  Whenever anyone "asks" god to do something, you know that the results will be the same as though god doesn't exist.  You're also aware that we will not see any signs from god, or record a conversation with him.  Apparently, the only time we'll have evidence of god will be after we're dead, by which point, we will be unable to report to anyone living.  All you have is an invisible product.
Being a Christian, I've made my decision. That decision offers no compromise; therefore, I'm closed to anything else.

Offline JeffPT

• Reader
  • Darwins +187/-0
  • I'm a lead farmer mutha fucka
« Reply #172 on: March 11, 2012, 11:21:48 PM »
You must first have a basic theological understanding of God and His character to understand why He doesn't heal people all the time.

Any theological explanation you can come up with pales in comparison to the more obvious possibility that God is not real to begin with.  After all, if God is not real, that would explain why he doesn't heal people, correct?  Unless you can come up with any sort of verifiable proof that a supernatural being stepped in to provide a healing of some kind (which nobody has ever done), then why should we accept that such a being exists to do it? 

Why does God allow bad things to happen, is basically the question?  Right?

Sort of.  The WWGHA question is designed to get people to think.  It's more like... We are to believe that God heals people of all sorts of maladies that can't really ever be proven to be 'acts of god' to begin with, but when we look at something like the instantaneous return of a lost limb (a more obvious supernatural occurance; an 'act of god' if you will) we find that it never, ever happens.  The question then becomes, 'If we know God doesn't heal amputees, then maybe all those other low probability healings which seemed to be acts of God, weren't actually supernatural to begin with.  Maybe they were just more uncommon, but completely natural recoveries.'  This leads you in the direction of no longer needing God to explain anything in terms of healing. 

Non-Christians, or individuals that are not knowledgeable regarding Scripture will not understand. 

I think you will find that most atheists are equally as knowledgeable in reading Scripture as you are; if not more so.  If you think we disagree with you on the existence of God because we haven't read the bible or that we haven't heard the information that you gave us below, then you are going to be in for a surprise. 

Quick and easy.....  God created man, perfect and sinless.  Man sinned.  Sin seperated man from a perfect, holy God.  God requires holiness.  Man was created with free will, because God wants buddies in heaven that WANT to love Him.  The old covenant of reconciliation required perfection and offerings of lambs to God.  God realized this would not work and sent Jesus to die on the cross for our sins.  We are now under a covenant of grace.  Woohoo!  Jesus paid the price for our sins.  However, sin still is in the world.  Bad things happen, God allows them to.  Arms and legs mean nothing, since this world means nothing.  It's temporary.  Children dying in Africa, actually mean nothing...this world...these bodies are temporary!  Our souls are what matters to God.  Suffering is the result of sin....God allows it because He has to.  If He simply healed everyone and stopped bad things from happening, what would that do?  It would erase free will!  We view pain and suffering as the end of the world!!  Someone gets murdered...their temporary Earthly body dies...big deal.. God did NOT create evil....the absence of holiness is sin...therefore, we brought suffering upon ourselves....not God.   LOL, simple right? 

Simple, no.  Nutty, yes. 

Setting aside the multitudes of problems with what you've written here, I will give you quicker and easier.  God just doesn't exist and bad / good things happen to us as a result of completely natural events.  God didn't create man, man evolved from our ancestors, just like every other living thing on the planet.  People don't get arms back because there is no God to put them back on.  Children starve to death because they run out of food.  Suffering is not the result of sin, it's the result of circumstances, natural events and choices.  God did not create evil because things that don't exist, don't create things. 

You see, everything you said here is nothing more than mental gymnastics you are using to help cover up the fact that God behaves in exactly the same way as a god that you believe exists, but really doesn't exist.  Just re-read the whole thing and see for yourself.  Go sentence by sentence asking yourself whether or not each one, in ANY way, steps outside that realm of possibility.  When you realize that not a single one passes the test, then you must admit that everything you said COULD be said about a God that you think exists, but really doesn't.  All you have, then, is an unproven theological stance. 

You have to understand that just because it makes theological sense to you, that doesn't make it true.  Lots of religions make theological sense to their followers.  If they didn't, they probably wouldn't have followers. 

Point is you have to look a lot deeper than simply thinking God is a jerk because He allows suffering.  There is far more to it than that....

We don't think God is a jerk, because God isn't real.  There is a large difference.  The God character of the bible, however, IS a jerk.  But what I think some of us do find offensive is the notion that you and other Christians who accept your position have literally chosen to worship a God who allows suffering on such a massive scale all because that's the way he wants it to be (if it wasn't, He'd change it). 

BTW, (stepping into your hypothetical world where God exists for a moment) if God wants buddies in heaven that WANT to love him, then He's doing it all wrong down here.  Although I live a wonderful life, I am not so narrow minded as to judge the sum total of God's nature by what he does to me alone.  I would never choose to love a God that treats me great, but shits on so many other people in this world and then expects me to just deal with it.  No thank you.  I'm just glad I don't have to make that choice, because the Christian God isn't real. 

I answered your post as if you were a legit poster, but my gut is telling me I should call POE here.   I'll give you the benefit of the doubt first I guess.
Whenever events that are purported to occur in our best interest are as numerous as the events that will just as soon kill us, then intent is hard, if not impossible to assert. NDT

Offline rockv12

• Emergency Room
  • Darwins +3/-44
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #173 on: March 12, 2012, 12:26:34 AM »
(snip)God realized this would not work and sent Jesus to die on the cross for our sins.(snip)

You made one of my main points here without even realizing it. The Bible teaches that god is omniscient (all-knowing). If the Christian God is omniscient, then he knew that humans would sin when he created them. Indeed one is hard-pressed to escape the conclusion that the Christian god thought it was "good" that billions of people would die and go to hell, a condition that could have been avoided had he simply not created them in the first place - all for the very self-centered reason of wanting a bunch of free will "buddies" to hang out with him in heaven. That puts the responsibility right in god's lap.

If the Christian god is omniscient, then he cannot be merciful and good; if he is merciful and good, then he must not have known that the humans he created would sin, in which case he would not be omniscient.

Indeed, where is free will in the ultimatum of "turn or burn"? That's not much of a choice.

Where does the Bible teach that God is this and that?  Do we really know what God does or allows Himself to do?  We can't.  We are playing God and acting like we know who and what God does.  That's rather silly.  But I understand your point.