Author Topic: One logical reason god might not heal amputees  (Read 14628 times)

Offline dloubet

• Reader
  • Darwins +83/-1
    • Denisloubet.com
Re: One logical reason god might not heal amputees
« Reply #116 on: September 05, 2011, 03:43:39 PM »
Revival, do you know god exists, or do you have faith that he does?
Denis Loubet

Offline curiousgirl

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +22/-0
  • Inquisitive agnostic atheist
« Reply #117 on: September 05, 2011, 04:00:20 PM »
Dloubet, Revival is a fake. (S)he was never here to have a serious discussion. Check out this thread:

http://whywontgodhealamputees.com/forums/index.php/topic,20014.0.html
"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence."-Carl Sagan

Offline dloubet

• Reader
  • Darwins +83/-1
    • Denisloubet.com
« Reply #118 on: September 05, 2011, 04:03:33 PM »
D'oh!

Grrrrr....

Thanks for the head's up.
Denis Loubet

Offline curiousgirl

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +22/-0
  • Inquisitive agnostic atheist
« Reply #119 on: September 05, 2011, 04:12:02 PM »
No prob! I know, it's frustrating...
"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence."-Carl Sagan

Offline chrissie39

• Novice
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #120 on: September 07, 2011, 07:17:40 AM »
In reply to the post about which part God may restore to wholeness, the body with the, presumed head, or the amputated limb; there would be no contest of course because the leg, being inert matter without the action of mind cannot or could not act to restore the rest of the body.  Consiousness can only work through the brain and therefore the bit with the head would be the winner.     

Offline Alzael

• Fellow
  • Darwins +112/-23
« Reply #121 on: September 07, 2011, 07:21:52 PM »
This is why GOd So called does not heal amputees

Please refrain from spamming the forum with meaningless posts.

If you have something to say that is actually on topic and contains an argument or if you wish to say something that might actually start or become part of the discussion, feel free.

Otherwise, do not bother.

This is a discussion forum, not a soapbox.
"I drank what?!"- Socrates

"Dying for something when you know you'll be resurrected is not a sacrifice.It's a parlour trick."- an aquaintance

Philip of Macedon: (via messenger) If we enter Sparta, we will raze all your buildings and ravage all your women.
Spartan Reply: If.

Offline JeffPT

• Reader
  • Darwins +252/-0
  • I'm a lead farmer mutha fucka
« Reply #122 on: September 07, 2011, 09:05:02 PM »
In reply to the post about which part God may restore to wholeness, the body with the, presumed head, or the amputated limb; there would be no contest of course because the leg, being inert matter without the action of mind cannot or could not act to restore the rest of the body.  Consiousness can only work through the brain and therefore the bit with the head would be the winner.     

Chrissie, didn't you read the initial post at all?  If you didn't, let me sum up his argument.  You are talking about God here, are you not?  God can do anything he wants, at any time, to anyone, can't He?  If God could literally do anything at all with the simple flick of the wrist, then why would it matter if God had to restore the rest of the body, or just the leg?  Your logic only makes sense if you look at things in human terms.  While this is EXTREMELY predictable, I have to ask why do you do that?  Do you not recognize that fixing a leg, or fixing an entire body is the same degree of difficulty for an omnipotent being? 

Consciousness can only work through the brain, but why would it be harder for an omnipotent being to make a brain than a leg?  Do you not understand that argument? 
Whenever events that are purported to occur in our best interest are as numerous as the events that will just as soon kill us, then intent is hard, if not impossible to assert. NDT

Offline helenecombs

• Student
  • Darwins +2/-7
« Reply #123 on: October 27, 2011, 10:06:03 AM »
"God Himself will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death, mourning, crying or pain; for the old older of things has passed away." - Revelation 21:4

Offline ungod

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +15/-9
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #124 on: November 01, 2011, 04:29:48 PM »
God is very kind hearted, and that is why he doesn't heal amputees - because he knows they would lose their disability payments/pensions if he did.
And it has NOT anything to do with the loss of income God would suffer when a portion of those disability payments stopped landing on the collection plate...that is just a rumour started by Satan.
Reason is a whore, the greatest enemy that faith has.
Faith must trample under foot all reason, sense, and understanding. - Martin Luther

"What good fortune for those in power that people do not think." - Hitler

Offline unshinbop

• Freshman
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #125 on: November 11, 2011, 10:17:39 PM »
He doesn't heal amputees right now because it would be a very powerful prove of his existence, and he wants us to have faith on him, in the Bible it says Jesus healed an amputee.

God bless you all, I will pray for you really hard, and try to explain the best I can why you are mistaken, hopefully you will understand the TRUTH.

The bible is full of stories of God doing "monster" miracles to the dazzled delights of the viewing skeptics.  Apparently, the "god-doesn't-do-big-miracles-because-he-doesn't-want-to-violate-our-freewill" argument is just crazy.

Also, the logic of such response doesn't match human experience.  Juries often acquit the guilty, when the prosecutor's evidence was as good as it could possibly get (videotape of crime, multiple eyewitnesses, DNA, etc).  Apparently, we still have freewill even if we are presented with powerful evidence that conflicts with the way we believe.

Hence, your theory to explain the lack of confirmed miracles today has a low probability of being true.  Hence, any theory that explains the data better to any degree should be preferred over this one, at least.

Offline dloubet

• Reader
  • Darwins +83/-1
    • Denisloubet.com
« Reply #126 on: November 12, 2011, 06:37:16 PM »
(Spastically waves hand in the air) Ooh! Ooh! Pick me! I know a theory that explains the data better!
Denis Loubet

Offline ungod

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +15/-9
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #127 on: November 12, 2011, 08:01:04 PM »
Geez, a Creator who can make a woman out of just a man's riblet shouldn't have any trouble recreating someone when He's got an entire leg to work with!
Reason is a whore, the greatest enemy that faith has.
Faith must trample under foot all reason, sense, and understanding. - Martin Luther

"What good fortune for those in power that people do not think." - Hitler

Offline Graybeard

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +551/-19
  • Is this going somewhere?
« Reply #128 on: November 13, 2011, 10:29:34 AM »
He doesn't heal amputees right now because it would be a very powerful prove of his existence,
So what does he do? Does he cure people of fatal diseases? The superstitious claim God does do this.

So why do you believe that god cures people of e.g.cancer and yet not restore limbs?

... in the Bible it says Jesus healed an amputee.
Re-read those verses would you? Are you sure that an amputee was healed?

Of course here you say that God doesn't cure amputees because he wants us to have faith and now you say he does cure amputees... what exactly are you saying?

God bless you all, I will pray for you really hard, and try to explain the best I can why you are mistaken, hopefully you will understand the TRUTH.
Please do. Can you pray for something specific to happen to me to test if God is really bothered about what you say.

Another thing: If God is all-knowing and all-wise, and if He has a plan for humanity (see Revelation), then why should He listen to anyone's prayers? Either you are praying for something that God will already do, or you are asking for something that God has already dismissed as being stupid.

So why pray?
Nobody says “There are many things that we thought were natural processes, but now know that a god did them.”

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +294/-37
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
« Reply #129 on: November 13, 2011, 10:30:21 AM »
Am I the only one who's still waiting for the logical reason as to why god might not heal amputees?
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

A.K.A.: Blaziken/Lucifer/All In One/Orion.

Offline Graybeard

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +551/-19
  • Is this going somewhere?
« Reply #130 on: November 13, 2011, 10:36:07 AM »
No, the entire site is awaiting the First Coming of the Great Explanation.
Nobody says “There are many things that we thought were natural processes, but now know that a god did them.”

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +294/-37
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
« Reply #131 on: November 13, 2011, 10:45:32 AM »
No, the entire site is awaiting the First Coming of the Great Explanation.

Well, I should've added "from theists". We have our explanation, they have theirs. The only difference is which side has the evidence. (Hint: It's not the side that believes in magic.)
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

A.K.A.: Blaziken/Lucifer/All In One/Orion.

Offline Lance

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +0/-35
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #132 on: December 01, 2011, 09:53:18 PM »
Simple minded fools. Do you people really think God is this simple. God doe exist! And blaming God for not healing amputees is like equating the universe with a hair. I can explain why God does not heal amputees but I would have to think like God and consider everything that amputee has done in the past and look into his future and see into his/her heart. God knows everything and he has all the reason to heal anyone but for a bloody reason. He is the truth and truth doesn't sway easily with desires. Accept what you have and believe in God!

Offline Historicity

• Reader
  • Darwins +80/-2
  • (Rama, avatar of Vishnu)
« Reply #133 on: December 01, 2011, 10:04:21 PM »
Simple minded fools. Do you people really think God is this simple. God doe exist! And blaming God for not healing amputees is like equating the universe with a hair. I can explain why God does not heal amputees but I would have to think like God and consider everything that amputee has done in the past and look into his future and see into his/her heart. God knows everything and he has all the reason to heal anyone but for a bloody reason. He is the truth and truth doesn't sway easily with desires. Accept what you have and believe in God!
I hope this isn't too simple minded.  You give a reason why God might not heal one amputee that you imagine.  But our point is that God doesn't heal any amputees.  You miss the point that claims are made for God answering prayer but they are always things that could have happened by chance.  You miss the point that the Old and New Testament make extensive claims for the power of prayer, which is reasonable if someone is tapping into the power of an infinitely powerful god.  A very likely answer for this is that God does not exist.

A person accepting what they have has no connection with belief in God.  That is, you accept what you have and believe in God.  Others accept what they have and don't believe in God.

Unless I'm being too simple minded....

Offline Lance

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +0/-35
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #134 on: December 01, 2011, 10:10:42 PM »
the power of prayer comes through faith. you cannot pray to God to heal you if you don't have any faith. God has feelings too and if you've been ignoring Him for the rest of your lives but then out of the blue show up for His assistance you would have to expect some delays or it'll be unfair for those who have been praying with faith all their lives. God is Jus and you cannot fool him with prayers. He knows what you've been doing and what your saying and He's not stupid!

Offline JeffPT

• Reader
  • Darwins +252/-0
« Reply #135 on: December 01, 2011, 10:27:18 PM »
He knows what you've been doing and what your saying and He's not stupid!

You mean he knows when we are sleeping? He knows when we're awake?  He knows when we've been bad or good? 

Everybody now!!  You better watch out...
Whenever events that are purported to occur in our best interest are as numerous as the events that will just as soon kill us, then intent is hard, if not impossible to assert. NDT

Offline Lance

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +0/-35
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #136 on: December 01, 2011, 10:34:12 PM »
yeah laugh it up joke it up equate him with Santa. Laugh now because in the end I doubt you'll be laughing. If you have a logical argument about God the Almighty post it - dress like a man - and I will refute you instantly.

Offline JeffPT

• Reader
  • Darwins +252/-0
« Reply #137 on: December 01, 2011, 11:08:47 PM »
yeah laugh it up joke it up equate him with Santa. Laugh now because in the end I doubt you'll be laughing. If you have a logical argument about God the Almighty post it - dress like a man - and I will refute you instantly.

For the record, Santa would kick Jesus' ass. 

As for the rest of it, you aren't worth the time.  Logical arguments do not work on people like you.  You gave up on logical thinking a long time ago. 

In all likelihood, you didn't come here to learn, you came here to preach and tell everyone how wrong they are without actually listening to what they say.  So I figure its probably going to be more enjoyable to just poke fun at you.  I tried a bit more of a sincere post to you in another thread, and I figure I will wait to see how you answer it before I decide that this is my last post to you or not.  /shrug.   

What do you think of Sarah Palin and Glenn Beck?  I'm trying to see how much of the stereotype you fit.  Do you live in the bible belt?  Love car racing?  You north of 300 lbs?  Are you fond of saying "Get er done!"?

Oh, and I love the empty threat about me not laughing in the end.  Classic Christian stuff!   

Offline Lance

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +0/-35
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #138 on: December 01, 2011, 11:14:24 PM »
"For the record, Santa would kick Jesus' ass. " Weak argument. You call that LOGIC? LOL!

Offline Willie

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +78/-1
« Reply #139 on: December 01, 2011, 11:38:32 PM »
"For the record, Santa would kick Jesus' ass. " Weak argument. You call that LOGIC? LOL!
Umm, do you even know what the word "argument" means?

It was not a weak argument, because it wasn't an argument at all. It was obviously a bit of humor, and no where did he call it "logic", or even vaguely imply, that it was.

Offline Historicity

• Reader
  • Darwins +80/-2
  • (Rama, avatar of Vishnu)
« Reply #140 on: December 01, 2011, 11:44:34 PM »
the power of prayer comes through faith. you cannot pray to God to heal you if you don't have any faith. God has feelings too and if you've been ignoring Him for the rest of your lives but then out of the blue show up for His assistance you would have to expect some delays or it'll be unfair for those who have been praying with faith all their lives. God is Jus and you cannot fool him with prayers. He knows what you've been doing and what your saying and He's not stupid!

Non sequitur.  No one here is trying to fool God with prayers.

The point is that "God" does not answer anyone's prayers with anything that is demonstrably more than luck.

Offline Lance

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +0/-35
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #141 on: December 02, 2011, 12:01:21 AM »
do you even know how to pray with faith? when you have faith you would know because of the Holy Spirit. Praying doesn't mean blabbering words of what you need and whatnot but simply a way of understanding first how to approach God in prayer. Personally, I cannot pray routinely because jus of the thought of talking to God takes me hours to think. Approaching God in prayer is as important as the words your uttering. God is not some Statue or jus a thought. He is the Creator and he has feelings too. Approaching Him is like appraoching the President of the Universe or something. It's not easy as most religion teaches. You have to understand that He is God and approaching requires deep thinking. Only through this would you know the answers to your prayers. 

Offline Astreja

• Fellow
  • Darwins +280/-3
  • Agnostic goddess with Clue-by-Four™
    • The Springy Goddess
« Reply #142 on: December 02, 2011, 01:30:21 AM »

Hey, even an imitation shopping mall Santa has more power than an imaginary god.

Or a dead one.
Reality Checkroom — Not Responsible for Lost Articles

Offline ZenZen

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +1/-0
  • An atheist, who loves her GODless life....!
« Reply #143 on: December 02, 2011, 04:29:49 AM »
Simple minded fools.

You, sir, are going to hell. Or you would - if it existed. I guess it's your lucky day, eh? :laugh:

Matthew 5:22
Whosoever shall say, Thou fool, shall be in danger of hell fire.
It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not.

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. - Voltaire

Offline jynnan tonnix

• Reader
  • Darwins +93/-1
« Reply #144 on: December 02, 2011, 09:37:14 AM »
do you even know how to pray with faith? when you have faith you would know because of the Holy Spirit. Praying doesn't mean blabbering words of what you need and whatnot but simply a way of understanding first how to approach God in prayer. Personally, I cannot pray routinely because jus of the thought of talking to God takes me hours to think. Approaching God in prayer is as important as the words your uttering. God is not some Statue or jus a thought. He is the Creator and he has feelings too. Approaching Him is like appraoching the President of the Universe or something. It's not easy as most religion teaches. You have to understand that He is God and approaching requires deep thinking. Only through this would you know the answers to your prayers.

And yet we get other "true Christians" in here, with plenty of faith, for whom prayer is a practically constant thing.  They see talking to god as talking to a friend and confinante. As a matter of fact, you may be the first I've ever seen who is so star-struck at the notion of "speaking" to the Great and Powerful Oz that it leaves him cowed and speechless.

Do all these other faithful Christians have the wrong idea? Are you somehow the only one who appreciates the huge and serious undertaking that speaking to god entails? Or are you the one who is too much of a coward? Or, could it be, maybe, that it's all imaginary and everyone comes up with their own "understanding" of god because there's actually nothing there aside from self-projection to have an understanding OF?