Author Topic: One logical reason god might not heal amputees  (Read 11321 times)

Offline DVZ3

• Reader
  • Darwins +40/-7
Re: One logical reason god might not heal amputees
« Reply #58 on: September 02, 2011, 06:36:15 PM »
evil works inside of people and from one person to another, almost like one person acting with evil can "give to birth" evil into another person without logical reason.

My mom is a devout christian and I'm apprently evil atheist....   ;)
Hguols: "Its easier for me to believe that a God created everything...."

Offline jetson

• Administrator
  • Darwins +169/-6
  • Meet George Jetson!
    • Jet Blog
« Reply #59 on: September 02, 2011, 06:39:20 PM »
Well I'm only replying to Jetson, (and Historicity... I mean, please make short questions so I can see your point faster and reply, not to debate like I said before but to try to clear up some doubts or ideas about God).

Jetson: You should be able to realize there is not common sense in the way evil works inside of people and from one person to another, almost like one person acting with evil can "give to birth" evil into another person without logical reason. By looking at the way evil acts in people, you can almost see it acting like a virus... something "alive", it even grows and evolves, hurting the "host" over and over and well... let's say God used the "Devil" word as a way for us to understand it better, it's the same no matter how you see it:

The cure against evil is forgiving people that have caused pain in your life, fighting "evil" with love... it works! so, if you see someone in pain or angry, some nice words, a hugg or something like that would deal a huge difference. Think about it, and you see is not so important the way you look at it... but the actions you can take.

So, how do you tell the difference between a person with a real mental illness, and one who has the devil working within them?  We are in much more modern times now, where we have a much better understanding of our biology, and what can sometimes go wrong within our bodies.  Just like ancient humans invented a god for lightning, they also invented the devil to explain that which they had no way of knowing at the time.

Mental illness is real, the evil is made up.  It really is that simple.

And for those who harm others with no apparent mental illness, we have societies laws, and prisons for those who willingly harm others and think they can get away with it. 

Offline Revival

• Student
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #60 on: September 02, 2011, 06:49:33 PM »
Jetson: You can tell when someone is crazy... as for the rest, there have been rules all the time, that doesn't change the fact that God's loving rules are excelent for us and humanity, dont go too far... imagine your son is doing bad things, full of hate, or just wrong = you could give him some love, even better, give him love since the first day, and he will grow up healthy, good and wise = good rule, no matter if you believe in God / Satan or nothing.

Offline Alzael

• Fellow
  • Darwins +112/-23
« Reply #61 on: September 02, 2011, 06:52:09 PM »
Alzael: I cannot write 1000 lines to explain you what have been included or excluded in the Bible so far we know,

You have yet to even write one line.

Also you're not being asked for an explanation. You're being asked for evidence.

you wouldn't read it eitherway, and if you trully want to know, google it (even when there is a lot more and there are no proves of that).

First off, it's exremely arrogant to tell me what I would or would not do. Arrogant, but not unexpected from someone like you. As far as googling it,I don't need to. I know it all. You're the one who is being questioned on what she knows.

If you can't defend your own positions with your own words, then your presence here is essentially useless.

I just pointed what you could use to difenciate what is and what is not from God.

However what you failed to respond to was how what you said was any different from making things up to suit your own needs. So far this is what you offered as a solution.

Really, if you're interested in knowing what have been introduced in the Bible, you dont need me. Let me know if you have any other question. ;)

You're entirely right. You're not needed. You are, in fact, completely superfluous because you have nothing to say that could even pass for a sentient thought. This isn't even a theist/atheist observation. We have had multitudes of theists here that were smarter, more eloquent, and more knowledgeable than you.

You can't answer questions, you don't answer questions. You hide from the questions. You're like a child trying to play an adults game. Please stop. It's just embarrassing to watch you try to form a thought.
"I drank what?!"- Socrates

"Dying for something when you know you'll be resurrected is not a sacrifice.It's a parlour trick."- an aquaintance

Philip of Macedon: (via messenger) If we enter Sparta, we will raze all your buildings and ravage all your women.
Spartan Reply: If.

Offline Revival

• Student
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #62 on: September 02, 2011, 06:59:49 PM »
I said and everyone knows I cannot prove God's existence, nobody can... you're just acting like a kid by asking me this, also you should know that even if I could I wouldn't, because it's not God's will.

God loves you Alzael, think about it...!

Offline jetson

• Administrator
  • Darwins +169/-6
  • Meet George Jetson!
    • Jet Blog
« Reply #63 on: September 02, 2011, 07:01:22 PM »
Jetson: You can tell when someone is crazy... as for the rest, there have been rules all the time, that doesn't change the fact that God's loving rules are excelent for us and humanity, dont go too far... imagine your son is doing bad things, full of hate, or just wrong = you could give him some love, even better, give him love since the first day, and he will grow up healthy, good and wise = good rule, no matter if you believe in God / Satan or nothing.

Yes, god belief is not required to turn out good, wise, or healthy!  And if that happens, then why bother with God?  Why cling to "God's rules", when humans rules work?

The rules you are referring to are man-made, some from long ago, and others from more recent decisions of the various church leaders, such as the Roman Catholic church.  Human societies need laws, and they need each other to survive.  They figured out that it is more beneficial to help each other, than to constantly oppose each other, and even kill each other.  Even though it still happens today, we can see that our tendency to be a part of a cooperative society is useful, and helps us survive as a species.

Offline rev45

• Reader
  • Darwins +37/-2
  • Did your parents raise you to be an idiot?
« Reply #64 on: September 02, 2011, 07:08:24 PM »
I said and everyone knows I cannot prove God's existence, nobody can... you're just acting like a kid by asking me this, also you should know that even if I could I wouldn't, because it's not God's will.
Then you have nothing to add to the discussion of why god won't heal an amputee or do anything for that matter.  If you can't prove that it even exists then you can't go saying anything about it's desires or plans.   
Here read a book.  It's free.
http://www.literatureproject.com/

Could a being create the fifty billion galaxies, each with two hundred billion stars, then rejoice in the smell of burning goat flesh?   Ron Patterson

Offline Revival

• Student
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #65 on: September 02, 2011, 07:10:45 PM »
Human's rules are long based on the Bible. ;)

rev45: You're obviously confused, to say the least... I'm not replying to you anymore. Good night ;)

Offline curiousgirl

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +22/-0
  • Inquisitive agnostic atheist
« Reply #66 on: September 02, 2011, 07:11:18 PM »
I said and everyone knows I cannot prove God's existence, nobody can...

If you claim that a God exists, you'd better have proof to back that up, or else no one will take you seriously. The burden of proof is on you. Why do you believe? Blind faith? The bible? I know the bible VERY well, and I am NOT convinced that it is sufficient proof for the existence of a supreme being. Are you going to have a serious discussion with us, or stay up on your high horse and pity us for not being in your little club? Don't waste our time.
"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence."-Carl Sagan

Offline Alzael

• Fellow
  • Darwins +112/-23
« Reply #67 on: September 02, 2011, 07:12:57 PM »

God loves you Alzael, think about it...!

Thank you for brilliantly illustrating my point.

Are we done here?
« Last Edit: September 02, 2011, 07:14:29 PM by Alzael »

"Dying for something when you know you'll be resurrected is not a sacrifice.It's a parlour trick."- an aquaintance

Philip of Macedon: (via messenger) If we enter Sparta, we will raze all your buildings and ravage all your women.

Offline jetson

• Administrator
  • Darwins +169/-6
  • Meet George Jetson!
    • Jet Blog
« Reply #68 on: September 02, 2011, 07:20:11 PM »

Not all humans.  In fact, barley 33% worldwide.

Offline Revival

• Student
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #69 on: September 02, 2011, 07:21:15 PM »
I believe in God because I searched for him and found him, he answered me several times, and changed my life. I have experience His power many times over the years in many ways.

Offline curiousgirl

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +22/-0
« Reply #70 on: September 02, 2011, 07:24:11 PM »
I believe in God because I searched for him and found him, he answered me several times, and changed my life. I have experience His power many times over the years in many ways.

Any evidence you could share with us? Guess not...

Too bad your little experiences can be explained away as possible dopamine highs, schizophrenia, delusions and arrogance.

If you want to spread the Word, can't you do a little better than that?

Offline Revival

• Student
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #71 on: September 02, 2011, 07:27:01 PM »
Like how...? my goal was merely to expose myself and see if you could prove God's non-existence, I think so far anyone have been able to do that, my intention was never to prove His existence.

With that in mind, some of you should think of the "possibility", and ask yourself if you would like to know more about it, people dont believe in God because of the Bible or proves, they believe because of personal experiences. That's the whole point I made.

Offline Alzael

• Fellow
  • Darwins +112/-23
« Reply #72 on: September 02, 2011, 07:39:50 PM »
Like how...? my goal was merely to expose myself and see if you could prove God's non-existence, I think so far anyone have been able to do that, my intention was never to prove His existence.

One can't prove the non-existence of anything. However that doesn't mean that you get to just make up whatever you want either.

The burden of proof lies on the positive claim. It is up to those who claim that god exists to prove it. Otherwise the only rational optionthat exists is to reject the claim.

With that in mind, some of you should think of the "possibility", and ask yourself if you would like to know more about it, people dont believe in God because of the Bible or proves, they believe because of personal experiences. That's the whole point I made.

You should consider the possibility that we actually do know all about it, and maybe just think it's all ridiculous.

I have read the bible several times, along with the Koran, the books of Zoroastrianism and several other faiths. They were all completely lacking and had no evidence to back them up. Which you also still fail provide. So as has been asked before, why should we even consider something that clearly has nothing to offer.

Also, if your goal here was to preach the word, it probably would have behooved you to have behaved in a way that didn't paint you as a mindless twit.

Offline curiousgirl

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +22/-0
« Reply #73 on: September 02, 2011, 07:40:19 PM »

The lack of evidence for the existence of God is sufficient enough to doubt him, just as the lack of evidence for Santa Claus living at the North Pole or the lack of evidence for a leprechaun with a pot of gold at the end of a rainbow causes us to think that they do not exist. And by the way, what you just did is called a cop-out.

Personal experiences were the basis for my former belief in Christ. Then I realized that those were not sufficient, given that my perspective is one of a subjective human being, and that I should look for objective evidence outside of myself. No matter how many Christian individuals I talk to, whose Christian books I read (including the bible), whoever tries to preach a sermon in their pulpit, I have not received ONE rational argument for the existence of bible God. And unfortunately, you are just another Christian refusing to use the most powerful tool you have to understand the world: your mind. That is too sad. I was expecting you to pity me, but I actually pity you.

Offline Revival

• Student
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #74 on: September 02, 2011, 07:53:27 PM »
If you are s osure of god's non existence, why do you live posting actively on this forum? it looks like you have some unsolved problems here.

Offline curiousgirl

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +22/-0
« Reply #75 on: September 02, 2011, 07:58:27 PM »
If you are s osure of god's non existence, why do you live posting actively on this forum? it looks like you have some unsolved problems here.

Notice how you ignored all of my other comments. Yet another cop-out. I am here to learn from others, as you should be. BTW, saying that I have unsolved problems is very vague. I could have a problem with my car, my hairstyle, my iPhone, etc based on the statement you just made, because you were so vague.

Offline Revival

• Student
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #76 on: September 02, 2011, 08:03:10 PM »
I'm going to bed now, I'll pray for you...!

God Bless you All with love and understanding...! :)

Offline curiousgirl

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +22/-0
« Reply #77 on: September 02, 2011, 08:04:05 PM »

God Bless you All with love and understanding...! :)

Be sure to pray to the Flying Spaghetti Monster! He's just as likely to exist as your God!  :)

Offline Alzael

• Fellow
  • Darwins +112/-23
« Reply #78 on: September 02, 2011, 08:05:27 PM »

Because god's fanboys (like you) still insist on bringing their bad ideas out into the world that I live in. This affects me and my family everyday. Such as when people like you, who care more about thier delusions than they do about reality, vote in a federal election.

Also said fanboys insist on pestering me with their delusions (once more, such as you), like a monkey flinging it's feces around.

Your religion pollutes the world that I have to live in with it's pimitive ideas.

Offline Avatar Of Belial

• Graduate
  • Darwins +30/-1
  • I'm not an Evil person; I just act like one!
« Reply #79 on: September 02, 2011, 08:20:33 PM »

No, they are not. Point to any rule you think was based on the bible, a mere 2000 year old book. Don't kill? That's been around far longer. Don't Steal? Yup, a long time before the bible. Don't keep slaves? Well... that one may have come after the bible, considering that said book actually takes the opposite stance and SUPPORTS that slavery. If you've read the bible like you say, you should know that part, of course.

If Christians are so sure of God's existence why do they go to church? If trekkies are so sure of Spock's logic, why go to Trek Conventions? Really, they're all the same. People want to be part of a like-minded community. We come here because we find smart, moral people who share similar interests, goals, and senses of humor.

I'll pray for you...!

Oh, you will? To whom? I hope it's Odin, cuz he's awesome.

"You play make-believe every day of your life, and yet you have no concept of 'imagination'."
I do not have "faith" in science. I have expectations of science. "Faith" in something is an unfounded assertion, whereas reasonable expectations require a precedent.

Offline DP86

• Freshman
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #80 on: September 02, 2011, 08:32:10 PM »

Nothing pisses me off more than when someone says 'they'll pray for me' as if they will be doing me such huge favour. They might as well tell me that they'll mumble some wishy-washy feel-good crap to themselves while they're on their knees and include my name in there somewhere... oh wait that's all they're doing anyways...Guess it just sounds stupid when you say it the way I described it.  &)

Offline Avatar Of Belial

• Graduate
  • Darwins +30/-1
  • I'm not an Evil person; I just act like one!
« Reply #81 on: September 02, 2011, 08:39:45 PM »
Guess it just sounds stupid when you say it the way I described it.

It's not like it sounds better when they describe it or anything.

"I'm going to pray for you!"
"Okay... and what does that involve?"
"Well, first, I'll get down on my knees and..."
"Whoa! Whoa, there... Too much information, thank you very much..."
"You play make-believe every day of your life, and yet you have no concept of 'imagination'."
I do not have "faith" in science. I have expectations of science. "Faith" in something is an unfounded assertion, whereas reasonable expectations require a precedent.

Offline Astreja

• Fellow
  • Darwins +237/-1
  • Agnostic goddess with Clue-by-Four™
    • The Springy Goddess
« Reply #82 on: September 02, 2011, 11:18:52 PM »

Yes, we *do* have unsolved problems, Revival.  Those include, but are not limited to:
  • Parents indoctrinating and psychologically terrorizing their minor children with tales of a vengeful god and eternal punishment in hell;
  • Religious organizations not paying any taxes on their properties or their profits;
  • Believers interfering in civil society by opposing GLBT marriage and access to abortion and contraception; and
  • The lunatic fringe of religion:  People actually looking forward to the end of the world.
These are real issues that have the potential to harm or even destroy society.  The problem lies not with your imaginary friend but with the millions of people who believe in it and who refuse to respect the rights of others.
Reality Checkroom — Not Responsible for Lost Articles

Offline Emily

• Professor
  • Darwins +49/-0
« Reply #83 on: September 03, 2011, 07:31:13 AM »

We post on forums like this because of people like you. For some this is a refuge. Not for me, because I can walk around the streets where I live with an atheist sign over my head and no one will care, but for some religion has such a strong hold on their community that they cannot express their disbelief without being labels as immoral, evil, ignorant, etc.

Your religion has a tight grasp on this country. I live in New York. We just allowed same sex couples to marry. One of only six states to do so. From what I've seen at the very center of the opposition towards same sex marriage are christian fundies who are completely ignorant of what same sex marriage will do -- and have fear based on ignorance of what it wont do -- to even considering allowing same sex marriage. It's against their religion, so they don't want it in my society even though my society isn't based on their religion.

There is an audio clip on a local radio station where a woman from VA is claiming that both the earthquake in Va, and the hurricane that hit the eastern seaboard was a sign of god's wrath, and the upcoming Apocalypse. Aside from this whacko there are churches that preach the same thing (for example: WBC and just turn on TBN during the prime time hours, or even pay attention to what your pastor is saying because he/she has probably either said it or at least hinted at *it* (*it* being atheists, or those that turn away from your god, bring destruction to the world)

We also post to exchange ideas. I have learned a great deal from people here. It's not that the people here have strengthen my atheism; they've just given me new perspectives. Lots of great minds post here.

And no, we don't post because of some unsolved problem (whatever that means). It's just that there are christian forums all over the internet that would ban atheists outright for expressing their disbelief. This is a site where both sides can contribute.

Don't pray for me. You have no right at all to speak to your god on my behalf for me. I don't want your prayers, either. (with the exception of spending a few months in jail years ago) I have done nothing wrong in your god's eyes. I highly doubt your prayed for those evil atheists over the WWGHA anyways. I don't want you to speak to your god for me. You don't know me and you don't have that right to petition to your god for me. You are not doing me a favor.
"Great moments are born from great opportunities." Herb Brooks

I edit a lot of my posts. The reason being it to add content or to correct grammar/wording. All edits to remove wording get a strike through through the wording.

Offline Add Homonym

• Fellow
  • Darwins +206/-4
  • I did haz jeezusburger™
« Reply #84 on: September 03, 2011, 10:07:28 AM »
Currently, I have a nice girl from Burkina Faso who found me on the internet by praying to God. She wants to marry me, and give me 30% of $5.6 million.

I think that if miracles such as this can happen, then Revival has a point. My life is changing because of this woman.

I strive for clarity, but aim for confusion.

Offline Revival

• Student
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #85 on: September 03, 2011, 10:18:56 AM »
I did pray for you all yesterday and I didn't knew why I was crying and feeling so weak, now that I read your comments I think some of you might have a very strong evil influence, I cannot imagine why you care so much about my prayers. At the end I had the feeling that I did something, but I still have a lot of praying to do.

Why did you go to jail Emily? is there anything I can do for you? :( I felt this when I was praying, a lot of sadness, someone with serious hate problems towards his family and other things.

Offline Emily

• Professor
  • Darwins +49/-0
« Reply #86 on: September 03, 2011, 10:34:51 AM »
I did pray for you all yesterday and I didn't knew why I was crying and feeling so weak, now that I read your comments I think some of you might have a very strong evil influence, I cannot imagine why you care so much about my prayers. At the end I had the feeling that I did something, but I still have a lot of praying to do.

You are a very rude person for even thinking we've had a strong evil influence. You don't know what our influence was. Stay out of our lives.

Why did you go to jail Emily?

Drug sale/possession. I did throw that in in jest. But yes i have done time.

is there anything I can do for you? :

Nope.

( I felt this when I was praying, a lot of sadness, someone with serious hate problems towards his family and other things.

Again, you're being rude.

Go here, Revival, and answer the question that has been addressed towards you.
"Great moments are born from great opportunities." Herb Brooks

I edit a lot of my posts. The reason being it to add content or to correct grammar/wording. All edits to remove wording get a strike through through the wording.