Author Topic: Hi I'm Terry  (Read 822 times)

Offline tschmidt

• Freshman
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • WWGHA Member
Hi I'm Terry
« on: August 29, 2011, 11:18:40 PM »
Hi folks I'm Terry and I am pleased to meet you all.

I was initially raised as a lutheran so I did the whole catechism thing then my parents became evaneglical baptists (is there any other kind?) but fortunately the indoctrination didn't "take" and so I am one of the lucky few in the bible belt who is free from conservative dogma.  I live amongst the cornfields of iowa and engage in religious debate whenever the opportunity presents itself.  My friends and family know better than to bring up the subject so that is how we keep the peace.

I've been familiar with the WWGHA argument for quite some time, but today I saw the milk jug video for the first time and was enticed by it.  I came to the forums to look at what eloboration the atheists have to offer and see how the theists have responded.

Fair warning...I have a *very* extensive knowledge of philosophy and an extensive knowledge of the bible.  I'm not afraid to take on challenges, and I am not afraid to present arguments on *both* sides of the debate.  Occam's razor can cut both ways ;)

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +192/-8
Re: Hi I'm Terry
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2011, 05:06:28 AM »
Welcome Terry.  Glad to have you on board.  Im one state down in Missouri but know Iowa well.
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline Brakeman

• Reader
  • Darwins +47/-3
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2011, 05:50:25 AM »
Welcome Terry!

I an an old baptist PK, now staunch atheist.
I just gotta ask, have you ever spoken with god in a two way conversation?
If not, what do you think about the pressure that is applied to the young to get them to believe that they are talking to god through prayer?
Help find the cure for FUNDAMENTIA !

Offline plethora

• Fellow
  • Darwins +60/-1
  • Metalhead, Family Man, IT Admin & Anti-Theist \m/
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2011, 05:57:30 AM »
Welcome  8) . I look forward to your posts ;)
The truth doesn't give a shit about our feelings.

Online jetson

• Administrator
  • Darwins +170/-6
  • Meet George Jetson!
    • Jet Blog
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2011, 05:57:57 AM »
Welcome Terry.

We are a rag tag bunch of heathens, but we love good discussions and hearty debate.  We typically don't let theists get away with dishonesty, or anything else that resembles a standard distraction tactic from the real questions and truth that is ultimately out there.

I'm not too much on philosophy, but I can enjoy a romp in the imagination every now and then.  And you'll notice that many of the discussions here start out by assuming someone's god exists, in order to keep the conversation going, and perhaps make someone think.

Glad to have you around!

Offline pianodwarf

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +208/-6
  • Je bois ton lait frappĂ©
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2011, 06:20:54 AM »
Hi, Terry, welcome to the fray.  :)
[On how kangaroos could have gotten back to Australia after the flood]:  Don't kangaroos skip along the surface of the water? --Kenn

Offline Chronos

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +131/-7
  • Born without religion
    • Marking Time
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2011, 06:43:25 AM »
Welcome to the forum!

... I have a *very* extensive knowledge of philosophy and an extensive knowledge of the bible ...

Unfortunately, a passing knowledge is all that is often required to handle most discussion, but extensive knowledge can be fun to watch. My position is that god, as offered, is logically impossible and, therefore, the bible is just ink and paper.

Have fun!
John 14:2 :: In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.

Offline tschmidt

• Freshman
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2011, 04:10:44 PM »
Thanks everyone for the warm welcome!  I'm looking forward to conversing with you all.  I've certainly got a lot of old threads to read through as well!

To Brakeman:

A two-way conversation?  LOL, no.  I did pray a lot as a kid but didn't really see anything that I felt was an "answer".  You are right though about the pressure...altar calls, youth group meetings, Fellowship of Christian Athletes, Pine Lake summer camp, etc.  I'm truly amazed that after all of the attempts at brainwashing I still came through ok!

To Chronos:

Yes I suppose you're right that most knowledge goes wasted on theists :)

Regards,
Terry

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +169/-6
  • You're wearing the juice, aren't you?"
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2011, 05:17:53 PM »
Thanks everyone for the warm welcome!  I'm looking forward to conversing with you all.  I've certainly got a lot of old threads to read through as well!
make sure you take a look at Screwtape's thread on kcrady's older posts.  just lovely stuff there.  I'm awfully glad I made these folks' acquaintance those years ago. :)

"There is no use in arguing with a man who can multiply anything by the square root of minus 1" - Pirates of Venus, ERB

http://clubschadenfreude.wordpress.com/

Offline curiousgirl

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +22/-0
  • Inquisitive agnostic atheist
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2011, 05:57:28 PM »
Welcome, Terry! You came to the right place.
"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence."-Carl Sagan

Offline tschmidt

• Freshman
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2011, 06:05:06 PM »
make sure you take a look at Screwtape's thread on kcrady's older posts.  just lovely stuff there.  I'm awfully glad I made these folks' acquaintance those years ago. :)

I did some looking around but can't seem to find that thread.  Care to post a link for then benefit of a newbie?  It would be appreciated!

Online jetson

• Administrator
  • Darwins +170/-6
  • Meet George Jetson!
    • Jet Blog

Offline tschmidt

• Freshman
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2011, 07:02:08 PM »
Many thanks Jetson! 

Question...was kcrady the creator of the WWGHA site?  I'm wondering because I have read a *lot* of websites arguing against theism and the WWGHA site is, IMHO, among the very best.  The book as well as the videos present material in a very simple, straightforward, and non-confrontational way that really encourages the reader/viewer to use their own common sense to arrive at conclusions.  I have a lot of admiration for whoever created the site!

Offline Chronos

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +131/-7
  • Born without religion
    • Marking Time
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2011, 07:23:40 PM »
kcrady is not the creator.   Viger is the creator.

John 14:2 :: In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.

Offline stuffin

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +26/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2011, 08:40:42 PM »
Fair warning...I have a *very* extensive knowledge of philosophy and an extensive knowledge of the bible.  I'm not afraid to take on challenges, and I am not afraid to present arguments on *both* sides of the debate.  Occam's razor can cut both ways ;)

There are a bunch of folks here who are gonna love you.

Welcome Terry.

We are a rag tag bunch of heathens, but we love good discussions and hearty debate.  We typically don't let theists get away with dishonesty, or anything else that resembles a standard distraction tactic from the real questions and truth that is ultimately out there.

I'm not too much on philosophy, but I can enjoy a romp in the imagination every now and then.  And you'll notice that many of the discussions here start out by assuming someone's god exists, in order to keep the conversation going, and perhaps make someone think.

Glad to have you around!

Who you calling Rag Tag????
When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all.

Offline tschmidt

• Freshman
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2011, 08:42:26 PM »
Ok, thanks Chronos!  Just looking to give credit where credit is due.  Viger has a lot to be proud of.  Of course, now that I am reading kcrady's posts I could say the same about him, as well as many other posters.  What a vast store of thought-provoking material! 

Online jetson

• Administrator
  • Darwins +170/-6
  • Meet George Jetson!
    • Jet Blog
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2011, 08:42:30 PM »
kcrady is not the creator.   Viger is the creator.

Mwu ha ha ha ha..... ;D

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +169/-6
  • You're wearing the juice, aren't you?"
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2011, 09:08:57 AM »
oh so many of us are such nerds ;D  Its' great.  And it's V'ger  ;)

Marshall Brain (http://marshallbrain.com/)  is the creator of the WWGHA website.  He doesn't do much with it and we have some great people who take care of the forums with his approval. 
"There is no use in arguing with a man who can multiply anything by the square root of minus 1" - Pirates of Venus, ERB

http://clubschadenfreude.wordpress.com/

Offline Larissa238

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +12/-1
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2011, 12:59:00 PM »
Hi Terry, and welcome! I hope you find a happy home here... I know I like it here, even if I lurk around more than I post sometimes. I used to be in a Baptist cult, so I know a bit too much about the Bible as well... but that knowledge is fading with each passing year. I use the forums here to keep it sharp.
On why Christians and non-Christians have the same rate of divorce:

He would rather it that they worship Him, instead of spending their time on family.

Offline tschmidt

• Freshman
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2011, 09:54:14 PM »
oh so many of us are such nerds ;D  Its' great.  And it's V'ger  ;)

Marshall Brain (http://marshallbrain.com/)  is the creator of the WWGHA website.  He doesn't do much with it and we have some great people who take care of the forums with his approval.

Oh wow that is cool...now I feel like I already know him because I've been to the HowStuffWorks website so many times :)

I certainly do appreciate the work the staff does keeping the place up and running.  I used to moderate an MSN forum called Atheist Vs. God. This was pre-9/11, and boy can I tell you it got a lot less fun when that happened...a lot of vitriol, banning, etc.  I quit moderating shortly thereafter deciding I had better things to do with my time than babysit a bunch of rednecks and extremists.  So my heart goes out to the moderators here! 

Offline tschmidt

• Freshman
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2011, 09:56:30 PM »
Hi Terry, and welcome! I hope you find a happy home here... I know I like it here, even if I lurk around more than I post sometimes. I used to be in a Baptist cult, so I know a bit too much about the Bible as well... but that knowledge is fading with each passing year. I use the forums here to keep it sharp.

Nice to make your acquaintance, Larissa!  I'll bet you have some good stories about your baptist upbringing.  We should share notes sometime ;)

Regards,
Terry

Offline Dawnus

• Freshman
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • WWGHA Member
    • Bereavement Without Belief
« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2011, 03:30:57 PM »
Welcome Terry, nice to meet you! x
"An archaeologist is the best husband a woman can have. The older she gets the more interested he is in her." Agatha Christie

Offline Larissa238

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +12/-1
« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2011, 08:12:14 PM »
Nice to make your acquaintance, Larissa!  I'll bet you have some good stories about your baptist upbringing.  We should share notes sometime ;)

Regards,
Terry

Sadly, I was not brought up Baptist, I choose to become one as a teenager. Those crazy teenagers, what will we do with them? I lost my theism around age 25, though, even though I had been kicked out of the church for being a lesbian (who is now married to a man... go figure). Being brainwashed, I kept on trying to go back to the church even though I wasn't welcome there. Finally, when I started dating my husband, they didn't like that he was atheist and tried to get me to break up with him as well. When it came down to Geo or the church, I made the right decision and didn't look back.
On why Christians and non-Christians have the same rate of divorce:

He would rather it that they worship Him, instead of spending their time on family.