Author Topic: You can't prove that God exists using Science  (Read 1470 times)

Offline Avascar

• Freshman
  • Darwins +1/-0
  • Everything, probably
You can't prove that God exists using Science
« on: August 26, 2011, 12:53:27 AM »
Hey everyone ^^ Long time no see. I've been doing stuff in my spare time, and I've been thinking...

Took a while for me to realize and all, over 2 months I didn't came back.  :o

Well, let's get on topic now.

You cannot prove that God exists.

I AM christian, but I'm telling you, you can't prove that God exists. We use Science to prove that God exists. Since, after all, we live in a material physical world. We have no access to the spiritual world, if you even believe in one, that is. But I tell you, why don't we believe in a spiritual world? Because we never seen it! We have no scientific proof that a spiritual world exists. Therefore, many of us don't believe in it!
It's like using Science and try to prove the word paranoid exists. The word paranoid is not in science, which means that the two are completely different.
Same thing with God, he's spiritual, you can't go in Jupiter and find his home or whatever, he doesn't exist in this universe. Why? Because he's spiritual, he doesn't exist in the material world nor has a physical body.

We heavily rely on Science and prove a lot of stuff. Since Science uses physical effects and all, Science can't prove everything.

Well, that's all I want to point out  :P

See you all for now!  ;)

Offline 12 Monkeys

• Fellow
  • Darwins +105/-11
  • Dii hau dang ijii
Re: You can't prove that God exists using Science
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2011, 01:20:20 AM »
 The Raven,Zeus,Buddha,Allah............the list of gods you can't prove are endless TRY AGAIN
There's no right there's no wrong,there's just popular opinion (Brad Pitt as Jeffery Goines in 12 monkeys)

Offline Anfauglir

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +408/-5
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2011, 01:27:43 AM »
We heavily rely on Science and prove a lot of stuff. Since Science uses physical effects and all, Science can't prove everything.

So....your claim is that this "god" has absolutely no effect on this universe.  So it never answers prayers, it never appears to its followers, it never heals, never works miracles....okay, fair enough.

But that means that 99& of your Bible must be wrong.  The entirety of Jesus' manifestation....the plagues of Egypt, the interaction with Adam.....ALL of those MUST be false because all would have had a physical effect on the world - which you have just claimed your god never has.

So what is left of your religion?  That there is a being called "god" who may have created the universe, but then immediately closed off all contact and communication between him and it.  Well...<shrugs>.  I guess you can believ in that, but in truth you are a deist rather than a Christian.  And you have no more reason to suppose that YOUR god created the universe than any other god....and, let's not forget, by your own argument almost the entire Bible MUST be fiction, so how exatly can you know one single thing about your alleged god?
Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid.
Why is it so hard for believers to answer a direct question?

Offline Lurking

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • I'm way too old to be a student
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2011, 01:36:16 AM »
I AM christian, but I'm telling you, you can't prove that God exists. We use Science to prove that God exists.
No, we don't.  Maybe you should educate yourself in what science is before penning down a really ignorant statement such as the one you made here.

In science, we use objective, observable, empirical evidence to formulate first hypotheses and then theories. Theories explain all the evidence.

Proof is for maths and alcohol, not science.

Offline Noman Peopled

• Reader
  • Darwins +24/-1
  • [insert wittycism]
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2011, 03:02:02 AM »
Well, it's undeniably true that that which science can't work with, science can't work with.

This is hardly compelling.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2011, 03:03:39 AM by Noman Peopled »
"Deferinate" itself appears to be a new word... though I'm perfectly carmotic with it.
-xphobe

Offline Add Homonym

• Fellow
  • Darwins +221/-4
  • I can haz jeezusburger™
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2011, 03:19:38 AM »
Too late, 'e's gone.

We don't actually use science to find God. We use science to determine what was not God, after people thought that it was God.
Humans, in general, don't waste any opportunity to be unfathomably stupid - Dr Cynical.

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +677/-28
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2011, 07:03:08 AM »

So why believe?
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Offline fungusdrool

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +2/-1
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2011, 07:10:50 AM »
If God existed in the universe, you could use science to prove its existence because there would be, at least, some small effect that a scientist could study and base a claim against.

If God existed outside the universe (whatever that means), then why bother postulating it?  It would not be able to interact, by definition, with the denizens therein.

That's the difference between inside and outside.  If I live in an impenetrable closed box, and you are outside of it, I cannot grab your arm.

Offline fungusdrool

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +2/-1
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2011, 07:17:32 AM »
But if God lived "spiritually outside", then anything is possible...oh wait a second!  That's just insane babbling....

I love how you can prepend the word "spirit" and all of a sudden all your wishes are fulfilled!

I should change my moniker to: SpiritDrool.  Then I can be God too.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2011, 07:20:09 AM by fungusdrool »

Offline HAL

• Professor
  • Darwins +98/-17
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2011, 07:20:15 AM »
I've been doing stuff in my spare time, and I've been thinking...

Obviously not about the topic your discussing.

Offline gonegolfing

• Reader
  • Darwins +23/-2
  • God ?...Don't even get me started !
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2011, 08:03:27 AM »

I AM christian, but I'm telling you, you can't prove that God exists.

^^^^ A beautiful statement from a blind faith fool, who with it, refutes the basis of their own delusion.

External of the universe magical beings ? Well, you said it, so if they can't be proved to exist, then who gives a flying fuck ? Not any truly rational and critical thinking person I know of.

All that matters, is that gods have most certainly been proved to exist in our reality. But, they exist only in the emotionally stupefied brains of people who have allowed such emotions to drive them to the depths of irrational thinking that they do.

Something has to be done about that. And is being done.

Welcome back.

Cheers mate  ;)
« Last Edit: August 26, 2011, 08:07:06 AM by gonegolfing »
"I believe that there is no God. I'm beyond atheism"....Penn Jillette.

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +169/-6
  • You're wearing the juice, aren't you?"
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2011, 08:16:19 AM »
Hey everyone ^^ Long time no see. I've been doing stuff in my spare time, and I've been thinking...Took a while for me to realize and all, over 2 months I didn't came back.  :o
Well, let's get on topic now.
Yep, period.  and there is plenty of evidence that he doesn’t exist at all.
I AM christian, but I'm telling you, you can't prove that God exists. We use Science to prove that God exists. Since, after all, we live in a material physical world. We have no access to the spiritual world, if you even believe in one, that is. But I tell you, why don't we believe in a spiritual world? Because we never seen it! We have no scientific proof that a spiritual world exists. Therefore, many of us don't believe in it!
It's like using Science and try to prove the word paranoid exists. The word paranoid is not in science, which means that the two are completely different.
Same thing with God, he's spiritual, you can't go in Jupiter and find his home or whatever, he doesn't exist in this universe. Why? Because he's spiritual, he doesn't exist in the material world nor has a physical body.
SSDD, Avascar.  You are just using a common attempt by Chritians to claim tht their god “really really does exist” but we just can’t see it.  It’s a variant of the “non-overlapping magisterial” claims to excuse the non-existence of your god.  Funny how this isn’t what your bible claims at all.  We get plenty of claims that this god of yours constantly screwed around in the physical world. 
And more baseless claims. 
"There is no use in arguing with a man who can multiply anything by the square root of minus 1" - Pirates of Venus, ERB

http://clubschadenfreude.wordpress.com/

Online Aaron123

• Fellow
  • Darwins +77/-1
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2011, 11:00:10 AM »

So... what's the difference between this and god not existing at all?
Being a Christian, I've made my decision. That decision offers no compromise; therefore, I'm closed to anything else.

Offline kcrady

• Reader
  • Darwins +406/-1
  • Your Friendly Neighborhood Cephalopod Overlord
    • My blog
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2011, 06:14:51 PM »

So, you're saying that in every possible way, reality behaves exactly the way it would if your god does not exist as anything but an idea in your head.  Brilliant!  We atheists heartily agree.  We're done.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2011, 10:49:44 PM by Ambassador Pony »
"The question of whether atheists are, you know, right, typically gets sidestepped in favor of what is apparently the much more compelling question of whether atheists are jerks."

--Greta Christina

Offline Avascar

• Freshman
  • Darwins +1/-0
  • Everything, probably
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2011, 01:01:10 AM »

So....your claim is that this "god" has absolutely no effect on this universe.  So it never answers prayers, it never appears to its followers, it never heals, never works miracles....okay, fair enough.

But that means that 99& of your Bible must be wrong.  The entirety of Jesus' manifestation....the plagues of Egypt, the interaction with Adam.....ALL of those MUST be false because all would have had a physical effect on the world - which you have just claimed your god never has.

So what is left of your religion?  That there is a being called "god" who may have created the universe, but then immediately closed off all contact and communication between him and it.  Well...<shrugs>.  I guess you can believ in that, but in truth you are a deist rather than a Christian.  And you have no more reason to suppose that YOUR god created the universe than any other god....and, let's not forget, by your own argument almost the entire Bible MUST be fiction, so how exatly can you know one single thing about your alleged god?

I'm not saying that he has no effect on this universe, I'm saying that he's not in this physical universe. Science uses physical effects to prove something, such as... Is fire hot? (I got nothing to give as an example o_o) Then Science kicks in and scientists experiment with the fire and see the results of fire is hot.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2011, 01:05:16 AM by Avascar »

Offline Noman Peopled

• Reader
  • Darwins +24/-1
  • [insert wittycism]
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2011, 03:00:06 AM »
I'm not saying that he has no effect on this universe, I'm saying that he's not in this physical universe.
But he has his fingers in the universe so to speak?

Science uses physical effects to prove something, such as... Is fire hot? (I got nothing to give as an example o_o) Then Science kicks in and scientists experiment with the fire and see the results of fire is hot.
Actually, it's the other way around. Science starts with what's observed i.e. facts, then ties them together in a model.
Note that "hot" can mean "the sensation of hotness" or a well-defined, observer-independent physical definition. The former would be something science can't tell us very much about[1] until we can model consciousness while the latter is a fact that is used to build scientific models - it's not something to prove.
 1. Not nothing though.
"Deferinate" itself appears to be a new word... though I'm perfectly carmotic with it.
-xphobe

Offline Anfauglir

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +408/-5
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2011, 03:58:01 AM »

I'm not saying that he has no effect on this universe, I'm saying that he's not in this physical universe.......

You (i.e. believers) are saying that "god exists, and we know this by the particular effects he has on our universe".  Effects like causing things to heal, appearing to followers, and other assorted miracles.

And that's the point.  When you say "god did this", science (or, rather, scientific methods of investigation) can examine that claim and make a judgement on its veracity or its likelihood.  If there is an effect on this universe, that effect can be measured and evaluated.

Without knowing exactly what you claim your god can do, its hard to be more precise.  How about you give an example of one way in which you contend your god affects our universe, and we can then consider how that claim can be examined?
Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid.
Why is it so hard for believers to answer a direct question?

Offline Zankuu

• Reader
  • Darwins +132/-3
    • I am a Forum Guide
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2011, 06:34:39 AM »
I'm not saying that he has no effect on this universe, I'm saying that he's not in this physical universe.

So your version of god affects our material universe, yet he doesn't enter it.

Before I ask any other questions: How?
Leave nothing to chance. Overlook nothing. Combine contradictory observations. Allow yourself enough time. -Hippocrates of Cos

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +677/-28
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2011, 07:34:33 AM »

What does that even mean?  What other universes are there?  Describe them?  If it (god) is not in the physical universe, how can it have an effect on the physical universe?

If we cannot detect god because it is in another universe, then we also cannot detect the other universe.  So how do you know there even is another universe?  Why would you even think such a thing exists?  It sounds like a convenient figment of your imagination. 

You know, the ancient hebrews believed yhwh actually lived in the tabernacle in their temple in jerusalem.  That was yhwh's house.  Then, they were defeated by the Assyrians and after that, the Babylonians.  The Babylonians destroyed the temple.  It was only that event that made the jews say "meh, yhwh didn't really live there anyway."  To save face and avoid humiliation, they had to put their imaginary god beyond the reach of their enemies.  You are doing the exact same thing.  Except we know a lot more about the universe than the hebrews did 2600 years ago. So for you to put god out of our reach, you have to posit alternate universes.

Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Offline plethora

• Fellow
  • Darwins +60/-1
  • Metalhead, Family Man, IT Admin & Anti-Theist \m/
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2011, 07:38:37 AM »
@Avascar

How old are you?
The truth doesn't give a shit about our feelings.

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +169/-6
  • You're wearing the juice, aren't you?"
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2011, 09:35:31 AM »
I'm not saying that he has no effect on this universe, I'm saying that he's not in this physical universe. Science uses physical effects to prove something, such as... Is fire hot? (I got nothing to give as an example o_o) Then Science kicks in and scientists experiment with the fire and see the results of fire is hot.

So, where is this effect, Av?  Physical effects can be measured.  We have never seen one fragment of information suppporting your claims.

There is no evidence supporting your god's existence or any gods' existence. 
"There is no use in arguing with a man who can multiply anything by the square root of minus 1" - Pirates of Venus, ERB

http://clubschadenfreude.wordpress.com/