Author Topic: Thank you! [#50]  (Read 635 times)

Offline DL

Thank you! [#50]
« on: July 25, 2008, 07:16:20 AM »
I just wanted to thank you for your videos. At the moment I've just seen a few of them, but they are still the best I've ever seen.

I looked up a few videos of people trying to explain why god exists, why he doesnt do that and why he does that etc etc.

They are not the least convicing due to one factor: they dont make sense.

"Why wont god heal amputees?"

the answer I found was "because these people obviously did something wrong and therefore they dont deserve their arm/leg or whatever" and then he compared it to if I would break a toenail, would god heal that one? of course not. but the guy who said that must have been ridicolously incompetent. its not even close to being the same thing anywhere.

anyways, I have a cousin who has had cancer and they needed to amputate her leg. She is a wonderful person! She didnt ever do anything to get her leg amputated, it just happened. she was too young to even comprehend the meaning of moral, so if god would exist, I cant possibly imagine why he would do that to her. because she wasnt a christian? if so, thats not her fault, its her parents fault that they didnt read the bible to her and so on, right?
and if people would say that "god punished her parents by doing that to her daughter", then god must be really evil: he decides to punish 2 people, by punishing 3 people. if he is allmighty, you'd think he'd found a way to make the parents pay without sacrificing an innocent child, dont you think?

Offline Codswallop

• Reader
  • Darwins +1/-0
  • Cod helps those who help themselves.
Re: Thank you! [#50]
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2008, 07:41:05 AM »
Hello, young person (at least you sound young to me). Welcome to the forum.

I hope you hang around and read some of the comments on both sides of the god issue. You appear thoughtful, and that's refreshing. Not too many open-minded people surf here in from YouTube.

I would say don't solidify your opinions too quickly on these issues. Take your time, read the arguments, study up on critical thinking. (You could look at the archives of my blog for some short articles on informal logic if you want, but this isn't about me.) Learn to separate people's thoughts from their emotional expressions. The more time you take, the better thought-out your views will be.

Nice to meet you.
"You've got to remember that these are just simple farmers. These are people of the land. The common clay of the new West. You know... morons."
             --Gene Wilder as The Waco Kid, Blazing Saddles

Offline Ashe

• Reader
  • Darwins +10/-1
Re: Thank you! [#50]
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2008, 02:45:50 PM »
Basically everything Codswallop said.

It would be great if you'd join us here at the forum!  :)
2 miles!
"All men(humans )were demon possed and were planning to attack God. Just like if you talk back to your parents." - Failbag quote