Author Topic: Deluge, Conflagration and Job  (Read 1246 times)

Offline Ivellios

• Reader
  • Darwins +52/-0
  • Seek and Ye Shall Find
Deluge, Conflagration and Job
« on: July 29, 2011, 04:13:18 PM »
In Job God tells Job that he can command the Sun to grab the edges of the Earth and shake all the wicked people out of it, but the only 2 instances portrayed in the bible of God removing all the wicked people he uses 2 natural disasters instead. The first being the Flood in Genesis and the promise that next time it will be with fire, which is the Prophecy still foretold in Revelation.

To me this is like claiming to know the mesurements of the Earth (same monologue in Job) but not fessing up. I can claim to be able to fly to the moon and back in 5 seconds, but unless I do it, or prove I can, it's just a baseless assertion.

So despite God's claim that He CAN shake the wicked (and only the wicked) from this Earth, he refuses. In the Gospels he goes farther and states he cannot. "If you try to kill the weeds from the wheat, you will kill the wheat, so you wait till the sowing then throw the weeds into the fire." Too bad God had no idea that Human technology would surpass him because we CAN kill the weeds and not harm the wheat.

So this unchanging "All Powerful" God says, "I CAN." Only to say later, "I cannot because it's impossible." Only to be beat by his creation at his own game.

"That's why I'm God and you're not Job, so Shut up and Put up!"

Sounds just like a "might makes right" bully to me, all the while unable to actually do anything because all he can make are baseless assertions.

Offline globalvalue

• Student
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • Fry the Jesus Fish with Facts, Evidence, and Logic
Re: Deluge, Conflagration and Job
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2011, 11:19:48 AM »
The Bible writers had a very poor knowledge of the physical world.

Genesis 22:17
 indeed I will greatly bless you, and I will greatly multiply your seed as the stars of the heavens and as the sand which is on the seashore; and your seed shall possess the gate of their enemies.

God promises to multiply the nation of Israel as the stars of the heavens.

Deuteronomy 1:10
10 The LORD your God has multiplied you, and behold, you are this day like the stars of heaven in number.

Then the prophecy is declared to be fulfilled just before Israel is about to enter the promise land.  At this time here were only about 3 million Israelites.

The Bible writer grossly under estimated the number of stars because he didn't know how many stars there were.

Isaiah 40:26
26 Lift up your eyes on high
And see who has created these stars,
The One who leads forth their host by number,
He calls them all by name;
Because of the greatness of His might and the strength of His power,
Not one of them is missing.

What a contradiction!
Science Climbs the Ladder of Discovery
Christianity Kneels at the Altar of Superstition

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +169/-6
  • You're wearing the juice, aren't you?"
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2011, 12:48:37 PM »
nice OP.  and your description of god sure does match a lot of its followers on here. 
"There is no use in arguing with a man who can multiply anything by the square root of minus 1" - Pirates of Venus, ERB

http://clubschadenfreude.wordpress.com/

Offline Ivellios

• Reader
  • Darwins +52/-0
  • Seek and Ye Shall Find
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2011, 06:19:43 PM »
The Bible writers had a very poor knowledge of the physical world.

Genesis 22:17
 indeed I will greatly bless you, and I will greatly multiply your seed as the stars of the heavens
<snip>
He calls them all by name;
Not one of them is missing.

What a contradiction!

Indeed.

Billions of stars per galaxy, billions of galaxies.. "Hey, A123435 of X145, what are you doing? You're supposed to Rise! They cannot see you from Earth anyways? When humans invent telescopes, you better, or you'll be sorry!"

Offline 12 Monkeys

• Fellow
  • Darwins +104/-11
  • Dii hau dang ijii
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2011, 02:32:31 PM »
An all-powerfull God,who fails to show ANY power. He fails on so many levels to pass even the simplest of tests put before him
There's no right there's no wrong,there's just popular opinion (Brad Pitt as Jeffery Goines in 12 monkeys)

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +183/-8
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2011, 02:48:33 PM »
Hey, don't make lite of God.  He can show up on toast, so there.
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline 12 Monkeys

• Fellow
  • Darwins +104/-11
  • Dii hau dang ijii
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2011, 08:06:39 PM »
No,Jesus is the son of God,,,not actually God......neither is Mary,Angels,Satan.......hey why hasn't Satan appered on toast?
There's no right there's no wrong,there's just popular opinion (Brad Pitt as Jeffery Goines in 12 monkeys)

Offline ungod

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +15/-9
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2011, 02:41:02 AM »
An all-powerfull God,who fails to show ANY power. He fails on so many levels to pass even the simplest of tests put before him

Remember how God was defeated by iron chariots? Just sit inside your car and thumb your nose at Him, "Nyah, Nyah" and God can't touch you! It's fun. Teach your kids on Sunday.

Reason is a whore, the greatest enemy that faith has.
Faith must trample under foot all reason, sense, and understanding. - Martin Luther

"What good fortune for those in power that people do not think." - Hitler

Offline HelenaKurai

• Freshman
  • Darwins +1/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2011, 09:17:00 AM »
The God of the Bible (and indeed, all religions) is defined as infinite, transcendant and maximally great. Christians site any inability to conceive of God's existence as His need to hide and render us free-willed. However, the Bible is written through the hands of men, men inspired by His supposedly divine influence - Ironic, as He is transcendant of the universe and can yet influence a mortal, finite author.

This extract of the Bible is merely solid proof of the fact that the Bible is merely a creation of these finite men, primitive and biased individuals, as God's Word and his influence is limited by their extremely sequestered knowledge. In this case, their childish and impossibly foolish ideas of astronomy.

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +169/-6
  • You're wearing the juice, aren't you?"
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2011, 05:00:07 PM »
The God of the Bible (and indeed, all religions) is defined as infinite, transcendant and maximally great. Christians site any inability to conceive of God's existence as His need to hide and render us free-willed. However, the Bible is written through the hands of men, men inspired by His supposedly divine influence - Ironic, as He is transcendant of the universe and can yet influence a mortal, finite author.

This extract of the Bible is merely solid proof of the fact that the Bible is merely a creation of these finite men, primitive and biased individuals, as God's Word and his influence is limited by their extremely sequestered knowledge. In this case, their childish and impossibly foolish ideas of astronomy.
Yes, this shows that the bible is nonsense.  Unfortunately for theists, there is no evidence that any "god" however vaguely you wish to define it, exists either.  Each theists wants to play pretend that they and only they really "know" this god. 
"There is no use in arguing with a man who can multiply anything by the square root of minus 1" - Pirates of Venus, ERB

http://clubschadenfreude.wordpress.com/

Offline Ivellios

• Reader
  • Darwins +52/-0
  • Seek and Ye Shall Find
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2011, 08:19:38 AM »

An ironic turn on freewill is that Lucifer an Angel and the4refore someone who didn't have "freewill[1]" knew God personally, yet rebelled against him. If Lucifer can break his robotic controls and exercise his freewill and decide to rebel against someone whom he knows personally, it becomes clear (to me) the reason YHWH goes from interfering with people's daily lives to in more modern times to not show any evidence is because he simply does not exist. It didn't bother him and the Egyptians back then. All the way up to and including the New Testament.... but in this day in age where we have more reliabe means of certifying whether something really happened or not, it's just so convenient for God that he doesn't like to be tested and that miracle pool has no water in it.
 1. angels are supposed to be God's "robots"