Author Topic: Possible universe start:  (Read 1298 times)

Offline bahramthered

• Fellow
  • Darwins +0/-0
Possible universe start:
« on: October 22, 2008, 02:36:23 AM »
I found this theory a while ago but I've never seem it discussed here so I though I'd post it. Unfortunatly I'm doing it from memory;

The huge black holes in the center of galaxies are basically devouring them. Albiet slowly. As they eat the galaxies they increase in mass and suction. They also pull other black holes into themselves and merge, resulting in even more suckng power. If this continues to it's logical conclusion there will be only one giant black hole.

Steven Hawkings proved that black holes do more than just suck. They occasionally release atoms, in very small number over a very long time. Eventually the black hole will lose enough gravity to maintain it's huge suction and become unstable. After that no one knows what happens, physics dosn't have a clue.

One possible out come is a new big bang. I'm sure I missed something important but that's the general idea. Anyone think it's intruiging?

Offline Irish

• Fellow
  • Darwins +18/-0
  • Moraxella catarrhalis on BA
Re: Possible universe start:
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2008, 02:46:54 AM »
That does indeed sound intriguing.  Do you know where you found this theory at? Or what it's called?  I would like to take a look at it.  I'm always interested in astrophysics.
La scienze non ha nemici ma gli ignoranti.

Offline bahramthered

• Fellow
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2008, 10:29:20 AM »
Actually I saw it on discovery channel. I pretty sure it's Hawkins work.

Offline Irish

• Fellow
  • Darwins +18/-0
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2008, 10:58:26 AM »
Actually I saw it on discovery channel. I pretty sure it's Hawkins work.

Stephen Hawking is amazing... simple as that.  I'll look around for this massive black hole something-or-other theory

Offline bahramthered

• Fellow
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2008, 11:47:29 AM »
Wanna know somethign crazy. I asked the same question when I was 9 or 10 and got told nothng can escape a black hole.

Online Azdgari

• Laureate
  • Darwins +301/-32
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2008, 11:56:15 AM »
Steven Hawkings proved that black holes do more than just suck. They occasionally release atoms, in very small number over a very long time. Eventually the black hole will lose enough gravity to maintain it's huge suction and become unstable. After that no one knows what happens, physics dosn't have a clue.

I'd just like to point out that present-day black holes are all accumulating energy at a much faster rate than they release it.  The cosmic background radiation provides more energy-input than a black hole's Hawking Radiation releases - for now.  In a hundred billion years, maybe the cosmic background radiation will be cold enough that evaporation by Hawking Radiation will start to win out...and maybe a few hundred billion years further down the line, black holes of significant size will shrink to the point of instability.  I just want to point out the time-scales involved.  ;)

Also, this phenomenon is why, even if the LHC was capable of producing micro-black-holes, it still would be no threat to the Earth.  A black hole of that size would be far below the threshold for stability, and would disperse before growing to a harmful size.
I have not encountered any mechanical malfunctioning in my spirit.  It works every single time I need it to.

Offline Irish

• Fellow
  • Darwins +18/-0
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2008, 12:07:09 PM »
Wanna know somethign crazy. I asked the same question when I was 9 or 10 and got told nothng can escape a black hole.

I was always under the belief that nothing escaped a black hole, not even light, hence the "black."  Only until recently, about 2 years ago, did I find a program about the jets of matter that emminate from some black holes.  I think it was on NOVA: PBS

Offline bahramthered

• Fellow
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2008, 01:49:40 PM »
Yeah Hawkins rewrote that. Leave a big enough genius alone for too long and he'll rewrite all the rules, with new sceince.

But on the black hoe thing, no one has even seen what happens when a black hole collapses or evaporates. Almost anything is possible. It might spit out anti matter or open worm holes, either of which could be really really bad. We just don't know, but with the odds of a black hole forming being around 50million to 1 I'm not going to lose any sleep over it.

Offline Irish

• Fellow
  • Darwins +18/-0
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2008, 03:49:17 PM »
And besides the fact that we have never seen a black hole collapse, do scientists even have a clear understanding of what actually happens to the matter that enters the black hole.  I seem to remember Hawking saying something that the matter is "stored" and never deteriorates but some scientists

But on the black hoe thing
:D

Offline tomthecool

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2008, 04:03:49 PM »
I recommend that you read his lecture on "black holes an baby universes" - it deals with exactly this topic in much more (still understandable) detail. To put it very simply, he believes that matter sucked into a black hole will create a new "baby" universe inside it, which then must somehow re-emerge into our universe when the black hole evaporates.

There is also many more interesting theories, such as how black hole radiation, which caused by the uncertainty principle, must increase massively as the black hole gets smaller. As the position of particles inside the black hole becomes better and better defined (since the black hole is smaller), their velocities become more and more unknown - such that a greater number will travel faster than the speed of light and escape beyond the event horizon.

And then he goes on to talk about what happens when a black hole dies (i.e. huge explosion), how they could form wormholes/be used for time travel, how they fit in with his theory of imaginary time, ... lots of strange stuff.

I just finished reading it recently, as I want to get as many maths/science books read as possible before my interview for Cambridge University in a couple of months... if you know of any good, relevant books that I could read, please let me know ;)
Some say I am the cool Tom... others wouldn't.

Offline Irish

• Fellow
  • Darwins +18/-0
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2008, 09:11:53 PM »
I recommend that you read his lecture on "black holes an baby universes" - it deals with exactly this topic in much more (still understandable) detail. To put it very simply, he believes that matter sucked into a black hole will create a new "baby" universe inside it, which then must somehow re-emerge into our universe when the black hole evaporates.

Hold the phone!  What?  Now I really need to do some research.  I've always wanted to read his books... not it's a must.

I just finished reading it recently, as I want to get as many maths/science books read as possible before my interview for Cambridge University in a couple of months

Good luck with that man. Seriously, good luck.  Cambridge is a great school.