Author Topic: What do you think? Real?  (Read 3966 times)

Offline ZenZen

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +1/-0
  • An atheist, who loves her GODless life....!
It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not.

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. - Voltaire

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +703/-28
  • Karma mooch
Re: What do you think? Real?
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2011, 07:47:55 AM »
absolutely not.
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Offline ZenZen

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +1/-0
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2011, 07:50:08 AM »
Didn't think so. Thanks!
It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not.

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. - Voltaire

Offline plethora

• Fellow
  • Darwins +60/-1
  • Metalhead, Family Man, IT Admin & Anti-Theist \m/
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2011, 07:54:42 AM »
Fake as a 3-dollar bill.

What ... is god performing a slow motion miracle? 'cause didn't actually see the legs growing or anything to confirm that he could in fact see light changes through his glass eye.  &)

Gullible people piss me off... but those who just flat out exploit them piss me off a lot more.
The truth doesn't give a shit about our feelings.

Offline albeto

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +71/-1
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2011, 10:55:49 AM »
Not real.  Just more believable than the miracles of old.  It's more believable because Friend of a Friend stories no longer persuade anyone.  This video you linked doesn't ask you to trust the word of a friend, it shows you evidence right here and now!  Only, it really doesn't.  It shows you a man making claims and people responding as if these claims were facts.  You still have to imagine the rest and decide whether or not your imagination is a likely scenario. 

Growing new legs is not a likely scenario and if it happens, if this guys legs really do regenerate, there will be a physical process that can be explored.  One of the things that trips theists up is the fact that once something is understood to be physical/natural, the supernatural no longer need be invoked.  So if this man's legs really do grow, there's a physical reason for it and it would be in the best interest of humanity for him to allow the scientific community to explore how so they can work on applying the same physics to others who God apparently doesn't love as much as this man. 

Offline mram

• Professor
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • DON'T PRESS THAT BUTTON!
    • Freeclassicflix
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2011, 01:24:41 PM »
Didn't think so. Thanks!
You mean you left open the possibility that it MIGHT have been real that GAWD would heal something that didn't need healing in the first place? A glass eye would be intact and not in need of healing.. It's not an actual body part..just an add-on cosmetic appliance.. It would be akin to healing the broken washing machine through divine means.  ;)
Now if the glass eye were cracked or had a big chip in it and god uncracked it or healed the chip... now. I MIGHT be impressed..  ;D
Imagine gaining favor with "Darwin's"...kind of like praying, huh?

http://freeclassicflix.co.cc

Offline jetson

• Administrator
  • Darwins +170/-6
  • Meet George Jetson!
    • Jet Blog
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2011, 02:55:04 PM »

Gullible people piss me off...

An older Venezuelan woman told me that McDonalds hamburgers were made from plastic products, and the chicken nuggets were made with rat meat.  She truly believes this, and was warning me not to eat there.  I don't eat at McDonalds, but the gullibility was high on this one...

Offline mram

• Professor
  • Darwins +0/-0
    • Freeclassicflix
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2011, 03:50:12 PM »

An older Venezuelan woman told me that McDonalds hamburgers were made from plastic products, and the chicken nuggets were made with rat meat.  She truly believes this, and was warning me not to eat there.  I don't eat at McDonalds, but the gullibility was high on this one...
WAIT! You mean MickyD burgers aren't made out of expensive earth worms?  :o
I remember when I was a kid a neighbor worked at a chicken place and got caught cooking rat meat as a "joke".. He was underage at the time so they sent him to juvenile hall for a spell, but let him go.. Now they would try him as an adult and he would spend the rest of his natural born life in prison even though he turned out OK as an adult.  :P

Offline mrbiscoop

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +32/-2
  • Faith is not a virtue!
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2011, 08:21:27 PM »

Now this sounds plausible.
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
              -Emo Philips

Offline ZenZen

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +1/-0
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2011, 01:38:17 AM »
Didn't think so. Thanks!
You mean you left open the possibility that it MIGHT have been real that GAWD would heal something that didn't need healing in the first place? A glass eye would be intact and not in need of healing.. It's not an actual body part..just an add-on cosmetic appliance.. It would be akin to healing the broken washing machine through divine means.  ;)
Now if the glass eye were cracked or had a big chip in it and god uncracked it or healed the chip... now. I MIGHT be impressed..  ;D

No, not exactly. This theist just pointed it out to me, and I couldn't see anything being healed on there, so I just wanted to know what you guys thought. More to confirm my initial thoughts, you see.

Really? I don't eat at McDonalds either, but this sure is out there.  :o

Offline mram

• Professor
  • Darwins +0/-0
    • Freeclassicflix
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2011, 01:00:27 PM »
It's OK to be among your own and receive aid and comfort.. We're on your side with this and will supply you with the latest detonating device to be well hidden under your burka when next time you talk with him/her..  ;)

Offline ZenZen

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +1/-0
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2011, 01:02:11 PM »
It's OK to be among your own and receive aid and comfort.. We're on your side with this and will supply you with the latest detonating device to be well hidden under your burka when next time you talk with him/her..  ;)

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Offline mram

• Professor
  • Darwins +0/-0
    • Freeclassicflix
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2011, 01:07:38 PM »
It's understood I'm not REALLY telling you to blow yourself up over this... right?   ;D

Offline ZenZen

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +1/-0
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2011, 01:13:19 PM »
It's understood I'm not REALLY telling you to blow yourself up over this... right?   ;D

No -eh- I mean yes of course...

Offline mram

• Professor
  • Darwins +0/-0
    • Freeclassicflix
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2011, 01:19:32 PM »
In that case just toss it and run like hell..  ;D

Offline ZenZen

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +1/-0
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2011, 01:20:45 PM »
Hahahahahahaaaa!  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Offline Blacksheep

• Freshman
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2011, 04:25:29 PM »
I couldn't have said it any better, that was quite deep and to the point... 8)

I believe that a religion which enslaves weak minded followers- example: (Amish cult, brainwashing the young and old alike) is everybody's enemy eventually...

Offline ZenZen

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +1/-0
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2011, 12:41:51 AM »
I couldn't have said it any better, that was quite deep and to the point... 8)

Who are you answering?  ;)

I believe that a religion which enslaves weak minded followers- example: (Amish cult, brainwashing the young and old alike) is everybody's enemy eventually...

True indeed. It's just very sad.  :-\

Offline testtickle

• Freshman
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2011, 10:23:39 AM »
3:35 cooking with emeril moment. Then he pushes over a cripple, not cool dude, not cool. regardless, if they go to optician and prove he's seeing out of a glass eye, ill be really impressed. And if if god is regenerating his legs super slowly, what would be the point? yay! he'll be able to walk again when hes 92 years old, it'll be really useful for him then. I'm sure.

4:30 "not everybody will be healed" - well why not?
« Last Edit: September 02, 2011, 10:25:17 AM by testtickle »
We can never attain perfection, But in the pursuit of perfection we can catch greatness. ~Vince Lombardi

If it doesn't matter if we win or lose, than why do we keep score? ~Vince Lombardi

Offline WiccaBillinCo

• Freshman
  • Darwins +2/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2011, 03:44:37 PM »
Perhaps this is not on the subject, and set me straight if I'm off base.
I remember an old Star Trek story that Kirk, Spock and McCoy beamed out and Shatner, Nimoy, and Kelly suddenly appeared on the transporter pads. They first realized that it was real when they saw the set had suddenly grew to a real space ship (it had a roof). There was several amusing instances when Shatner was waiting for the Director to yell "cut". But they come to slowly understand there was a real Enterprise in another universe. I believe Scotty called it a "trans parallel universe dimensional doorway”.
But, it’s a fictional story in a book, written by imaginative writers.
Sounds familiar.
To me, this is exactly what christians are trying to make me believe. That a all loving god exist, cares about me, loves me so much more than I am capable of loving my children, ready and willing to send me to eternal punishment if I don’t do exactly as a mortal pastor dictates, or if I call him by the wrong name, or if I don’t live my whole life with total faith, never questioning any of his dictates that mortal man has written.
I don’t care if my Daughter calls me George, (no offense to the Georges’ out there), I will still love her and do anything to keep her from any pain or distress.
Now, again. let me get this straight. God loves me so much I can not even comprehend it? But he’s content to throw me in a lake of fire, in front of my loved ones if I don’t give my life totally and freely to him? Does any christians even realize how absurd that sounds? I couldn’t even treat my dogs that way!
I think I’d buy the “trans parallel universe dimensional doorway” easier.
I used to say to christians, I believe in god, just not what man has made of her. I just loved to tick them off, but no I do not believe in this christian god. Perhaps the idea of god IS the universe, as was in another thread, is more acceptable to me.
I guess the logical part of me says the energy that animates the chemicals and water that make up the human body has to change forms someway.

Offline allicat

• Novice
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2011, 03:35:04 PM »
Hahahah! No way!

Offline Hatter23

• Fellow
  • Darwins +265/-7
  • Doesn't believe in one more god than you
« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2011, 01:57:06 PM »

WAIT! You mean MickyD burgers aren't made out of expensive earth worms?  :o
I remember when I was a kid a neighbor worked at a chicken place and got caught cooking rat meat as a "joke".. He was underage at the time so they sent him to juvenile hall for a spell, but let him go.. Now they would try him as an adult and he would spend the rest of his natural born life in prison even though he turned out OK as an adult.  :P

You can thank the lobbying efforts of The Corrections Corporation of America for the change. After all, the more people that are in prison, the better their profit potention. They spend around a quarter billion a year lobbying for tougher sentencing laws.
An Omnipowerful God needed to sacrifice himself to himself (but only for a long weekend) in order to avert his own wrath against his own creations who he made in a manner knowing that they weren't going to live up to his standards.

And you should feel guilty for this. Give me money.

Offline Historicity

• Reader
  • Darwins +80/-2
  • (Rama, avatar of Vishnu)
« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2011, 02:48:36 PM »
You can thank the lobbying efforts of The Corrections Corporation of America for the change. After all, the more people that are in prison, the better their profit potention. They spend around a quarter billion a year lobbying for tougher sentencing laws.

Don't forget the prison guards' union in California.  They lobbied hard for and lobby hard against the repeal of the 3 Strikes law.

Offline Historicity

• Reader
  • Darwins +80/-2
« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2011, 03:05:46 PM »
Oliver Sacks was on TV in a show on people who have lost the ability to form long term memories.  One became blind in the accident that damaged his brain.  He does not know that he is blind.  He imagines that he sees but there is something temporarily wrong.  He says he is near sighted and can't quite make things out.

Thomas a'Becket was beatified for his miracles.  After Becket died some old man who had no eyes at all prayed to him and gained eyeless sight.  True?  The man would know where familiar objects were and if he imagined he could see again he could hypnotize himself into experiencing it.

Like the guy whose glass eye has apparently spontaneously gained a CCD plate and microprocessor and fine insulated wires attaching it to the stunted optic nerve.  He imagines he can see out of it.

9 out of 10 adults are lightly hypnotizable.  The effects are temporary.  1 out of 5 are deeply hypnotizable.  1 out of 10 are easily hypnotizable and live in a strange world where they are repeatedly victimized.

I worked in some sales organizations.  One report got back to me the day it happened.  The salesman was so suprised.  He went thru the motions of the sales talk but the woman kept saying "NO" again and again to every leading question.  But she never ordered him out of the house.  Strange for such a negative prospect.  He finally got to the point where he took out the contract and asked her to sign.  She did.  I interpret this that she has found her life manipulated by everyone.  She has learned to defend herself by saying NO to every suggestion.  And it still isn't enough.

A college professor once had a record with a hypnotic induction talk which he wanted to play for his psychology class.  He looked down and he had picked up a music professor's record.  It was Swiss yodels.  He put it on and curtly said, "Listen to that" to the class and quickly went out to find the music professor and get his hypnosis record.  When he came back he found a student in a deep trance from listening to yodels with the mere suggestion that it was a hypnosis record.

Faith healing will always have some effect reported by such people.

Offline kevinagain

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +8/-0
« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2011, 03:28:12 PM »

A college professor once had a record with a hypnotic induction talk which he wanted to play for his psychology class.  He looked down and he had picked up a music professor's record.  It was Swiss yodels.  He put it on and curtly said, "Listen to that" to the class and quickly went out to find the music professor and get his hypnosis record.  When he came back he found a student in a deep trance from listening to yodels with the mere suggestion that it was a hypnosis record.

i find that opera has a similar effect on me, except i snore a bit too loud

Offline lotanddaughters

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +49/-21
  • Artist: Simon Vouet (1633)
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2011, 04:17:19 PM »
Listen to this asshole @ about 3:03:

"Lord, I command the optic nerve to register. I don't care if the eye is glass! You know what kinda sign o' wonder it would be if his eye remained glass? Stayed glass, and could see. That would be more of a miracle than if the Lord turned the glass eye into a real eyeball. Because, people could always say, 'Maybe he always had a real eyeball', but they can't say, 'Dude is seeing out of a glass eyeball'. You can't see out of a glass ey - BAM!!!"

No, you Goddamn liar! If the Lord turned the glass eye into a real eyeball, everyone who was ever certain that this dude once had a glass eyeball would now know the healing power of your Lord!
Enough with your bullshit.
. . . Mr. Friday . . . that post really is golden.

Offline Iamrational

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +9/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2011, 05:03:10 PM »
Or they just coach him. The guy says listen here Billy Bob you redneck hillbilly inbred hick. I am going to give you $500 for a new set of teeth, if you just do something for me. I am going to say you got your vision back. When I do you are going to cover your good eye. I will hold up a series of objects and I want you to tell everyone what they are. So we will do a book, flag, shoe, and then the holy cross. God bless you brother I love you praise Jesus.

Next trick....?

Offline Historicity

• Reader
  • Darwins +80/-2
« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2011, 06:45:49 AM »
Right.  I had overlooked that.  There is also a strange phenomenon of self delusion where the believer knows they are lying but are doing it in the service of a larger truth.  If the believer was trying to win the war, it would just be using propaganda.  But some believers (and this was hard for me to realize and accept) enter into a double think where they know they are lying but quasi-believe the lie.

So his sight could never have been restored and he is an insider on the trick either thru a bribe or because he is convinced that doing so will convert people to the Truth they are to believe anyway.  Or a combination of both.

As you have implied, Iamrational, James Randi hasn't tested the sight thru the glass eye.  Hey, there's a $million awaiting the guy with the seeing glass eye -- if it's real.

Offline Samuelxcs

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +6/-18
  • The oldest and strongest emotion of humans is fear
    • Fallen Angels
« Reply #28 on: December 10, 2011, 07:23:20 AM »
Does it matter?
"The stupid neither forgive nor forget; the naïve forgive and forget; the wise forgive but do not forget."
-Thomas Szasz