Author Topic: Why do men have nipples?  (Read 10671 times)

Offline Samuelxcs

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +6/-18
  • The oldest and strongest emotion of humans is fear
    • Fallen Angels
Re: Why do men have nipples?
« Reply #29 on: October 10, 2011, 10:31:45 AM »

You don't actually have to get something in your mouth to suck it. You can simply put your lips around it
And, once again, that is most clearly not what was written. You should try writing what you mean

People should stick to bottle feeding instead. I will write exactly what I mean in the future so I don't have to clarify anything after that.
"The stupid neither forgive nor forget; the naïve forgive and forget; the wise forgive but do not forget."
-Thomas Szasz

Offline Zankuu

• Reader
  • Darwins +135/-3
    • I am a Forum Guide
« Reply #30 on: October 10, 2011, 10:34:08 AM »
Will this anti-nipple explanation for avoiding skin feature anything other than "I think human contact is gross"?
Leave nothing to chance. Overlook nothing. Combine contradictory observations. Allow yourself enough time. -Hippocrates of Cos

Offline Samuelxcs

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +6/-18
  • The oldest and strongest emotion of humans is fear
    • Fallen Angels
« Reply #31 on: October 10, 2011, 10:38:48 AM »
Will this anti-nipple explanation for avoiding skin feature anything other than "I think human contact is gross"?

Maybe not.

If men have nipples for breastfeeding then this question has an obvious answer.
"The stupid neither forgive nor forget; the naïve forgive and forget; the wise forgive but do not forget."
-Thomas Szasz

Offline Zankuu

• Reader
  • Darwins +135/-3
    • I am a Forum Guide
« Reply #32 on: October 10, 2011, 10:43:49 AM »
If men have nipples for breastfeeding then this question has an obvious answer.

If men's nipples don't produce milk to breastfeed, then men's nipples don't serve the function of breastfeeding.
Leave nothing to chance. Overlook nothing. Combine contradictory observations. Allow yourself enough time. -Hippocrates of Cos

Offline plethora

• Fellow
  • Darwins +60/-1
  • Metalhead, Family Man, IT Admin & Anti-Theist \m/
« Reply #33 on: October 10, 2011, 10:52:42 AM »
Please ... not another thread arguing with Samuelxcs about basic human biology and how gross it is!  :police:
The truth doesn't give a shit about our feelings.

Offline Zankuu

• Reader
  • Darwins +135/-3
    • I am a Forum Guide
« Reply #34 on: October 10, 2011, 10:55:13 AM »
*slowly steps away*

Offline relativetruth

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +11/-0
« Reply #35 on: October 10, 2011, 12:02:48 PM »
How did my OP involving evolution get degraded to this... :( :-\ :'( :? :blank:?
God(s) exist and are imaginary

Offline Mr. Blackwell

• Fellow
  • Darwins +78/-23
« Reply #36 on: October 10, 2011, 12:07:34 PM »
How did my OP involving evolution get degraded to this... :( :-\ :'( :? :blank:?

I do believe it started with my reaction to this statement

I don't know why men have nipples, they can't breastfeed a child, but women can because theirs are bigger.
I show affection for my pets by holding them against me and whispering, "I love you" repeatedly as they struggle to break free.

Offline plethora

• Fellow
  • Darwins +60/-1
  • Metalhead, Family Man, IT Admin & Anti-Theist \m/
« Reply #37 on: October 10, 2011, 12:17:28 PM »
My wife's nipples have gone from puffy 17 years ago to ihop friggin' pancake nipples today ... having a kid did have an impact tho. My nipples remain small and unchanged. Just thought I'd share that.
The truth doesn't give a shit about our feelings.

Offline Gnu Ordure

• Fellow
  • Darwins +109/-9
« Reply #38 on: October 10, 2011, 12:40:57 PM »
Zankuu:
If men's nipples don't produce milk to breastfeed, then men's nipples don't serve the function of breastfeeding.
One theory is that men used to breastfeed; the evidence is that many males do lactate:

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=strange-but-true-males-can-lactate&sc=rss

Offline Zankuu

• Reader
  • Darwins +135/-3
    • I am a Forum Guide
« Reply #39 on: October 10, 2011, 03:46:35 PM »
Zankuu:
One theory is that men used to breastfeed; the evidence is that many males do lactate:

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=strange-but-true-males-can-lactate&sc=rss

That article is gnu to me, but I think you use the word many far too precariously. If many males lactate then I have many nipples to do it with.

Offline Ivellios

• Reader
  • Darwins +52/-0
  • Seek and Ye Shall Find
« Reply #40 on: October 10, 2011, 05:34:39 PM »
this question has an obvious answer.

If you had simply googled the seed I gave you, and looked at the wiki, you would know.

That neither nipple or breast size has any real bearing on whether a woman is able to breast feed. At birth the breasts are ready, if the demand is there, it produces. If not, it shuts down. Since human men do not give birth[1]. There is no 'trigger' for men to start producing, so therefore there's no need for nipples.

It is true that there are anomalys, both in men and women, but it is far from the norm.

So far outside the norm that if a woman lactates, it is understandable to assume she's been pregnant.

So far outside the norm that if a woman is/was pregnant, it is understandable to assume she's not a virgin.

Did it ever get to the point of Joseph holding the stone, then stating he's going to marry her anyways[2]? Or was it before the 'lifting of the skirt' err "examination"?

1. Due to your aparrent lack of knowledge in the field of human reproduction, I really don't know if you knew this or not.
 2. I saw this 'version' in a film
« Last Edit: October 10, 2011, 05:48:46 PM by TruthSeeker »

Offline ungod

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +15/-9
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #41 on: October 10, 2011, 06:22:02 PM »
nipples? Forget the nipples ... did Adam have a BELLY BUTTON?!

If he did, than that must have been because he was created in god's image and god had one too ...
proving that god had a mother ...
whom we never hear about ...
until we get a few thousand years further on when god, in the form of a ghost has sex with his own mom and fathers himself ...
you know, this goes a long way to explaining god's behavior in the old testament
(and here I was thinking Red Dwarf's Ouroboros story line was convoluted!)
You forgot to mention God's mom's virginity when He was born! It's all so confusing...my head hurts.
Reason is a whore, the greatest enemy that faith has.
Faith must trample under foot all reason, sense, and understanding. - Martin Luther

"What good fortune for those in power that people do not think." - Hitler

Offline Illuminatus99

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +5/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #42 on: October 20, 2011, 05:19:54 AM »
Jesus put them there to confuse the dinosaurs.

Offline orpat

• Graduate
  • Darwins +2/-8
  • What is in the bottle? No it's water
« Reply #43 on: March 13, 2012, 07:54:55 AM »

If we consider that Evolution had a purpose, then what purpose do male nipples serve in the 21st century?

The immediate example which comes to mind are Transsexuals, i.e. those guys after deciding they were girls, decided to go for a sex-change operation. Now they would obviously want a boob-job too. Now what's the use of breasts with no nipples? ;D

Now, the role of evolution could be that evolution wants to remove the distinction between man and woman. So, going by this trend, we might see more women in future and lesser males. Eventually man will become extinct and and only women will exist.  :'(

This would mean no use of sex for reproduction(already recent scientific developments have claimed that sex for reproduction won't be needed in future.)

Eventually, humanity will turn to asexual reproduction.  :o

So, as we can see, male nipples do have a role in Evolution.
Hello Homo Sapiens

Offline rockv12

• Emergency Room
  • Darwins +3/-44
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #44 on: March 14, 2012, 12:03:31 AM »
Because.  Why do we have hair on the top of our head?  And under our armpits?  God put them there.  If this is your proof that God doesn't exist, I'd hold out for a better reason if eternity depends on it.....

Offline pianodwarf

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +208/-6
  • Je bois ton lait frappé
« Reply #45 on: March 14, 2012, 05:14:31 AM »
If this is your proof that God doesn't exist, I'd hold out for a better reason if eternity depends on it.....

Come on, Rocky... Pascal's Wager?  Really?
[On how kangaroos could have gotten back to Australia after the flood]:  Don't kangaroos skip along the surface of the water? --Kenn

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +169/-6
  • You're wearing the juice, aren't you?"
« Reply #46 on: March 14, 2012, 09:24:26 AM »
Because.  Why do we have hair on the top of our head?  And under our armpits?  God put them there.  If this is your proof that God doesn't exist, I'd hold out for a better reason if eternity depends on it.....

Indeed, PD. This seems to be all that rockv has, that poor excuse of Pascal's wager, the theist's hope that they've chosen the right god to worship and its partner hope that people will be punished by their invisible friend because they dared to disbelieve the claims of the theist.   

Actual evidence seems beyond you, rockv.  Shall I say that Isis put the hair there?  Or maybe Hanuman?  Or Raven put it there as a joke? 
"There is no use in arguing with a man who can multiply anything by the square root of minus 1" - Pirates of Venus, ERB

http://clubschadenfreude.wordpress.com/

Offline Ivellios

• Reader
  • Darwins +52/-0
  • Seek and Ye Shall Find
« Reply #47 on: March 14, 2012, 01:10:12 PM »

Honestly, I'd rather worship Ishtar: Goddess of Life and Fertility, than a powermongering sadistic psycopathic control freak.

P.S. She's more fun too.  ;) ;) ;)

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +169/-6
« Reply #48 on: March 14, 2012, 02:34:21 PM »
She's goddess of war too.  Much more fun than YWHW, and probably looks like this:

"There is no use in arguing with a man who can multiply anything by the square root of minus 1" - Pirates of Venus, ERB

Offline Cyberia

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +35/-0
« Reply #49 on: March 14, 2012, 04:01:39 PM »
Can we see her nipples?   Purely for scientific verification, of course.

Soon we will judge angels.

Offline rockv12

• Emergency Room
  • Darwins +3/-44
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #50 on: March 14, 2012, 06:44:19 PM »

Honestly, I'd rather worship Ishtar: Goddess of Life and Fertility, than a powermongering sadistic psycopathic control freak.

Ok, Geez nevermind.  I answered the question.  And if you are using it as proof that God doesn't exist...then ok.  But why would a person come into this forum and ask such a question?  To simply laugh at a Christian answer?  However you get your kicks, I guess..

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +294/-37
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
« Reply #51 on: March 14, 2012, 06:46:00 PM »
rockv12, I'm guessing that 12 is either your age or the year you were born in (1912), because "subtle" just isn't your thing.
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

A.K.A.: Blaziken/Lucifer/All In One/Orion.

Offline rockv12

• Emergency Room
  • Darwins +3/-44
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #52 on: March 14, 2012, 06:51:23 PM »
rockv12, I'm guessing that 12 is either your age or the year you were born in (1912), because "subtle" just isn't your thing.

Lucifer,  lol.  I'm a rock climber, thus "rock".  V12 is a rating of a rock for the difficulty of the climb.  V12 is pretty darn hard to climb, and I only wish I was that strong!  Makes people think the name is Rocky.  That's a cool one too, I guess.  I would hope I don't sound like a 12 year old... 

Offline ILOVEYOU

• Graduate
  • Darwins +5/-76
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #53 on: March 14, 2012, 11:01:31 PM »
If you Google the question you will find many plausible possible explanations from an evolutionary point of view?

I would like to know how creationists answer this question?
After all was not woman made after the creation of the first man. What use would Adam have for nipples?

All fetuses start off as a generic female it is only after further development when the Y chromasome kicks in and the fetus changes to male.

Because we would look really weird without them.

Although they can be quite sensitive.

Offline ungod

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +15/-9
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #54 on: March 15, 2012, 06:53:57 AM »
If you Google the question you will find many plausible possible explanations from an evolutionary point of view?

I would like to know how creationists answer this question?
After all was not woman made after the creation of the first man. What use would Adam have for nipples?

All fetuses start off as a generic female it is only after further development when the Y chromasome kicks in and the fetus changes to male.

Because we would look really weird without them.

Although they can be quite sensitive.

Oh, bollocks. God, with His total foreknowledge of future fashion trends, included male nipples in His Plan.

Reason is a whore, the greatest enemy that faith has.
Faith must trample under foot all reason, sense, and understanding. - Martin Luther

"What good fortune for those in power that people do not think." - Hitler

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +169/-6
« Reply #55 on: March 15, 2012, 09:01:22 AM »
Ok, Geez nevermind.  I answered the question.  And if you are using it as proof that God doesn't exist...then ok.  But why would a person come into this forum and ask such a question?  To simply laugh at a Christian answer?  However you get your kicks, I guess..

you claimed that your God put hair where it is.  Please show it was your god.  If you can't, it seems your claim is indeed baseless and your god is just as imaginary as all of the rest. 

The question seems silly, however it does point out how theists don't have evidence for their claims and how their claims are remarkably similar.  Since there is no evidence of your god, or any other god, I have little reason to think that any religion is right or that any gods exist at all.   

I do laugh at how Christians often don't think through their claims. When I was a Christian myself, I didn't either, and when I realized how much my faith depended on ignorance I did all I could to remedy that.  That theists don't do this, even after being shown the problems with their religion, makes me roll my eyes. 

When you look at other religions, and realize that none of them have evidence for their claims, that does quite a job at showing one that the supernatural does not exist by showing that each has similar claims, each claims that its version is the truth and that they are contradictory. 

Offline Ivellios

• Reader
  • Darwins +52/-0
  • Seek and Ye Shall Find
« Reply #56 on: March 15, 2012, 10:38:53 AM »
She's goddess of war too.  Much more fun than YWHW, and probably looks like this:
<snip>

RAWR!

I forgot that aspect too.

I pointed out that there were gods long before Jesus, or for that matter YHWH even walked onto the scene. YHWH even admits to there being other gods, yet demands sole worship. He's like a 2 year old throwing a temper-tantrum. Even though these other gods existed long before him, he then claims to have many of thier attributes... but really, does he? Then he claims to have always existed and be the REAL god. The reason we ask this: is because, as noted, thousands of gods have claimed to have created the world... even Allah. So, unless you can prove it was really the christian god, we must dismiss the claims to be equal to that of Allah's claim.

You have not answered this question. You say that everything points to your god, but every god says that! If we were to take your god's word for it, we'd have to take every god's word for it. As I mentioned before, with all gods being equal in claims, I'd rather worship one I actually like, rather being coerced to follow one.

Edit: ie. Proof or Ishtar is the True God(ess)!
« Last Edit: March 15, 2012, 10:42:05 AM by TruthSeeker »

Offline Turbo SS

• Graduate
  • Darwins +12/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #57 on: March 15, 2012, 03:23:54 PM »

So why did God give men nipples?  Thats the real question.  Why would he do that?  Or are you just going to cop out with the "God works in mysterious ways" excuse?