Author Topic: Why do men have nipples?  (Read 9038 times)

Offline relativetruth

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +7/-0
Why do men have nipples?
« on: June 21, 2011, 02:06:19 PM »
If you Google the question you will find many plausible possible explanations from an evolutionary point of view?

I would like to know how creationists answer this question?
After all was not woman made after the creation of the first man. What use would Adam have for nipples?

All fetuses start off as a generic female it is only after further development when the Y chromasome kicks in and the fetus changes to male.
God(s) exist and are imaginary

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +169/-6
  • You're wearing the juice, aren't you?"
Re: Why do men have nipples?
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2011, 02:11:19 PM »
'Cause God has nipples.   ;D
"There is no use in arguing with a man who can multiply anything by the square root of minus 1" - Pirates of Venus, ERB

http://clubschadenfreude.wordpress.com/

Offline mram

• Professor
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • DON'T PRESS THAT BUTTON!
    • Freeclassicflix
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2011, 02:12:35 PM »
Satandidit to tempt gay men.  >:(
Imagine gaining favor with "Darwin's"...kind of like praying, huh?

http://freeclassicflix.co.cc

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +177/-8
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2011, 02:21:48 PM »
So they could pierce them. ;)
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +169/-6
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2011, 02:24:20 PM »
so men can get breast cancer too!   :P  What a great guy, that God, always making folks equal.
"There is no use in arguing with a man who can multiply anything by the square root of minus 1" - Pirates of Venus, ERB

Offline Tykster

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +11/-0
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2011, 02:25:10 PM »
If you Google the question you will find many plausible possible explanations from an evolutionary point of view?

After all was not woman made after the creation of the first man. What use would Adam have for nipples?

All fetuses start off as a generic female it is only after further development when the Y chromasome kicks in and the fetus changes to male.

(my bold) I don't think that this is true. I used to think the same but during some recent reading I was informed differently.I'll try and find the source......

EDIT : Ok, the fetus reference is true. I was getting confused because they are already male or female at the DNA level.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2011, 02:28:40 PM by Tykster »
rhocam ~ I guess there are several trillion cells in a man, and one in an amoeba, so to be generous, lets say that there were a billion. That is one every fifteen years. So in my lifetime I should have seen two evolutionary changes.

Offline LadyLucy

• Reader
  • Darwins +1/-0
  • No one leaves the Nightosphere
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2011, 02:45:23 PM »
So that others can pinch them where it hurts, rather than kick/punch. :)

[For some reason, that seems to be a guy thing. Pinching nipples. And then they go whining about how much it hurts if one guy does it.]

Really though, I think God did it for laughs. He was drunk with his wife.

Offline jedweber

• Fellow
  • Darwins +19/-0
  • Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2011, 03:52:48 PM »

Here's one who tries:

Male nipples prove evolution?
http://creation.com/male-nipples-prove-evolution

Offline mram

• Professor
  • Darwins +0/-0
    • Freeclassicflix
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2011, 08:57:25 PM »
Men have nipples so that when we're alone and feeling "frisky" we can pretend there's a little more there and some of us (not me) actually have a little more there.. Mine are kind of like a male dog's nipples.. Not much hair, but you really gotta look to find them..Kind of like another part I won't mention.. .... .....OK..I give..My little toe's nails.. Really small.  ;D

Online jaimehlers

• Fellow
  • Darwins +540/-13
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2011, 11:58:19 PM »
I think it would be better to say that fetuses start in a non-gendered state, so up until the point where sexual differentiation starts to happen, they develop pretty much the same way.

Offline jedweber

• Fellow
  • Darwins +19/-0
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2011, 05:42:54 AM »
Did Adam have nipples?

Quite possibly, since nipples are especially sensitive and are a source of sexual stimuli. Since they have a function, they are consistent with a design explanation. They do not seem analogous to the navel, which is simply a scar where the human was once attached via the umbilical cord to his or her mother. So Adam and Eve would probably have lacked navels because they didn’t have mothers.
The only explanations consistent with evolution are that humans evolved from an all-female species, or that males once helped to breast-feed their babies.

http://creation.com/male-nipples-prove-evolution

So there it is. Male nipples are evidence FOR creation, and against evolution! God gave Adam nipples to help him get his rocks off with Eve. And this guy must be right, he has a PhD!

Offline Fiji

• Reader
  • Darwins +83/-2
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2011, 06:41:37 AM »
nipples? Forget the nipples ... did Adam have a BELLY BUTTON?!

If he did, than that must have been because he was created in god's image and god had one too ...
proving that god had a mother ...
whom we never hear about ...
until we get a few thousand years further on when god, in the form of a ghost has sex with his own mom and fathers himself ...
you know, this goes a long way to explaining god's behavior in the old testament
(and here I was thinking Red Dwarf's Ouroboros story line was convoluted!)
Science: I'll believe it when I see it
Faith: I'll see it when I believe it

Schrodinger's thunderdome! One cat enters and one MIGHT leave!

Without life, god has no meaning.

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +169/-6
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2011, 08:33:05 AM »
Always entertaining to see someone who has no background in biology, let alone evolutionary theory, attack it.  Woo, Dr. Sarfati, superconductors are just soooooo much like biology.  :P  And what a liar for Christ. 
The only explanations consistent with evolution are that humans evolved from an all-female species, or that males once helped to breast-feed their babies.

I also love how they beg for money
Manna from heaven? Because this site and the information it contains is free, you might think so. However, lots of hard work went into producing it. Your gifts help to produce this ‘manna’ for others.
Why doesn't God give the "manna"?  Why do they need to beg?  Funny how this flies in the face of the magic Bible itself.  ;D

Offline jedweber

• Fellow
  • Darwins +19/-0
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2011, 08:44:27 AM »
I just love that his design argument for male nipples is based on "sensitivity" and "sexual stimuli!" I thought Christians believed that sex was intended only for procreation. But in fact, God had hot nipple play in mind?

(Now I'm picturing Dr. Sarfati in nipple clamps, telling his wife "Yeah, baby, do my nipples as God intended!!!" )  :o

Offline mram

• Professor
  • Darwins +0/-0
    • Freeclassicflix
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2011, 10:56:19 AM »
There's a perfectly valid reason god gave men sensitive nipples.. He wanted men to be able to detect whenever a 'homo' was sneaking up from behind playing with them..  &) They're nothing more than little "homo' detection devices.  I guess that would explain also why my ass it kind of ticklish ..
« Last Edit: June 22, 2011, 10:59:56 AM by mram »

Offline pmon1

• Freshman
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2011, 05:37:26 PM »
http://menshealth.about.com/od/conditions/a/Nipples_Men.htm

They are from the female X chromosome, however, given enough selection pressure if females were reduced to a small number and were lots of babies. Men may be able to produce milk

Online 12 Monkeys

• Fellow
  • Darwins +104/-11
  • Dii hau dang ijii
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2011, 10:31:40 PM »
nipples give my other hand something to do.....I beat it like it owes me money
There's no right there's no wrong,there's just popular opinion (Brad Pitt as Jeffery Goines in 12 monkeys)

Offline Samuelxcs

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +6/-18
  • The oldest and strongest emotion of humans is fear
    • Fallen Angels
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2011, 07:40:48 AM »
I don't know why men have nipples, they can't breastfeed a child, but women can because theirs are bigger.
"The stupid neither forgive nor forget; the naïve forgive and forget; the wise forgive but do not forget."
-Thomas Szasz

Offline Mr. Blackwell

• Fellow
  • Darwins +76/-23
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2011, 08:14:44 AM »
I don't know why men have nipples, they can't breastfeed a child, but women can because theirs are bigger.

Is that an attempt at humor?
I show affection for my pets by holding them against me and whispering, "I love you" repeatedly as they struggle to break free.

Offline Samuelxcs

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +6/-18
    • Fallen Angels
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2011, 08:18:00 AM »
Is that an attempt at humor?

If that was an attempt at humor to you then you have a weird sense of humor. It is the truth, that is all. I don't know why anyone would think that was humorous.
"The stupid neither forgive nor forget; the naïve forgive and forget; the wise forgive but do not forget."
-Thomas Szasz

Offline Mr. Blackwell

• Fellow
  • Darwins +76/-23
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2011, 09:19:03 PM »
If that was an attempt at humor to you then you have a weird sense of humor.

I do indeed have a weird sense of humor.

It is the truth, that is all. I don't know why anyone would think that was humorous.

It's funny because the size of the women's nipples have no bearing on their ability to produce milk. Especially if you are suggesting that the difference in size is what differentiates the ability of men breast feeding vs. women breastfeeding. If you know how absurd it is and said it on purpose then I get that sort of humor. If you are ignorant about anatomy then it is still funny, but for different reasons. 
I show affection for my pets by holding them against me and whispering, "I love you" repeatedly as they struggle to break free.

Offline Ivellios

• Reader
  • Darwins +52/-0
  • Seek and Ye Shall Find
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2011, 03:08:17 AM »

Clearly no understanding of Biology and mammary glands.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +298/-82
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2011, 09:55:29 AM »
We have them to masturbate to in the mirror when we can't get a girl.

-Nam
A god is like a rock: it does absolutely nothing until someone or something forces it to do something. The only capability the rock has is doing nothing until another force compels it physically to move.

The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously - Humphrey

Offline Samuelxcs

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +6/-18
    • Fallen Angels
« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2011, 10:03:54 AM »

Exactly!
-Thomas Szasz

Offline One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +278/-36
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2011, 10:05:14 AM »

Exactly!

...You do know that TS was talking about you, right?
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

A.K.A.: Blaziken_rjcf/Lucifer/All In One.

Offline Samuelxcs

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +6/-18
    • Fallen Angels
« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2011, 10:12:29 AM »

...You do know that TS was talking about you, right?

I realize that, but I never learnt Biology or knew about mammary glands, but I never implied that the size of a woman's breasts means more milk or whatever he may thought I was saying. I was talking about men having nipples and women having nipples and the idea of women not showing theirs like men do because the women's are larger. This subject "Why do men have nipples?" is like asking "Why do women have nipples?
-Thomas Szasz

Offline One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +278/-36
« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2011, 10:19:37 AM »
I realize that, but I never learnt Biology or knew about mammary glands

Which is clearly evidenced by your statements in this thread

but I never implied that the size of a woman's breasts means more milk or whatever he may thought I was saying.

No, you just implied (almost to the point of inferring) that only women can breastfeed because their breasts are bigger. You shouldn't talk about things you don't know anything about like you actually know something about them

I was talking about men having nipples and women having nipples and the idea of women not showing theirs like men do because the women's are larger.

It appears you also have never learned English. Here's your statement:

Now, if that doesn't mean "women can breastfeed because they have bigger breasts[1] then I have to review my knowledge of the English language

This subject "Why do men have nipples?" is like asking "Why do women have nipples?

No it's not. Once again, don't talk about something you have zero knowledge about as if you knew what you're talking about
 1. I assume you meant breasts, since saying that women having bigger nipples is responsible for their ability to breastfeed is ridiculous, even for someone with zero knowledge of biology
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

Offline Samuelxcs

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +6/-18
    • Fallen Angels
« Reply #27 on: October 10, 2011, 10:25:43 AM »

No, you just implied (almost to the point of inferring) that only women can breastfeed because their breasts are bigger. You shouldn't talk about things you don't know anything about like you actually know something about them

I was just talking about that, not like I thought I knew something about it.

Now, if that doesn't mean "women can breastfeed because they have bigger breasts[1] then I have to review my knowledge of the English language

All I meant by that is I don't know how a man with a child could breastfeed the baby if the nipples can't get in the baby's mouth.

No it's not. Once again, don't talk about something you have zero knowledge about as if you knew what you're talking about
 1. I assume you meant breasts, since saying that women having bigger nipples is responsible for their ability to breastfeed is ridiculous, even for someone with zero knowledge of biology

I will try not to.
-Thomas Szasz

Offline One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +278/-36
« Reply #28 on: October 10, 2011, 10:29:31 AM »
I was just talking about that, not like I thought I knew something about it.

When you make a statement, people expect you to actually know what the hell you're talking about. Otherwise, you just look like an idiot

All I meant by that is I don't know how a man with a child could breastfeed the baby if the nipples can't get in the baby's mouth.

You don't actually have to get something in your mouth to suck it. You can simply put your lips around it
And, once again, that is most clearly not what was written. You should try writing what you mean
We choose our own gods.