Author Topic: Are you Filch Proof  (Read 1557 times)

Offline bertatberts

• Reader
  • Darwins +68/-8
  • Humanists. Not perfect. Not forgiven. Responsible.
Are you Filch Proof
« on: June 21, 2011, 02:13:42 AM »
Critcal thinking

I have noticed time and again of  members on this site and others, arguing over burden of proof, extraordinary claims requiring extraordinary proof, appeals to authority, evidence, etc…

The linked  article below is a ***MUST READ*** for either those embarking on a journey of discovery and development, and for those who may be confused as to what is a crank and what is legitimate, and for those who don’t use there heads at all.

It will also act as a refresher for those who use there critical thinking skills regularly.
And to those of you who do, I wholly thank you one and all.

Here are a couple of excerpts:

The six rules of evidential reasoning are my own distillation and simplification of the scientific method. To make it easier for students to remember these half-dozen guidelines, I've coined an acronym for them: Ignoring the vowels, the letters in the word ”FiLCHeRS” stand for the rules of Falsifiability, Logic, Comprehensiveness, Honesty, Replicability, and Sufficiency. Apply these six rules to the evidence offered for any claim, I tell my students, and no one will ever be able to sneak up on you and steal your belief. You'll be filch-proof.

The evidence offered in support of any claim must be adequate to establish the truth of that claim, with these stipulations:
- The burden of proof for any claim rests on the claimant
- Extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence
- Evidence based upon authority and/or testimony is always inadequate for any paranormal claim

http://www.csicop.org/si/9012/critical-thinking.html

So do you think you are actually filch proof.

We theists have no evidence for our beliefs. So no amount of rational evidence will dissuade us from those beliefs. - JCisall

It would be pretty piss poor brainwashing, if the victims knew they were brainwashed, wouldn't it? - Screwtape. 04/12/12

Offline IAmFirst

• Reader
  • Darwins +6/-0
Re: Are you Filch Proof
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2011, 03:24:47 AM »
Thank you! Didn't read it all yet, but very cool. I'll post when I've read more. :)
2nd of all, if all you believe in is peer-reviewed papers, you won't go very far in life...

-- Shin :D

Offline Anfauglir

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +485/-5
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2011, 05:33:18 AM »
Read the first bit - so here's a bookmark until I've finished.
Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid.
Why is it so hard for believers to answer a direct question?

Online jetson

• Administrator
  • Darwins +399/-6
  • Meet George Jetson!
    • Jet Blog
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2011, 06:13:02 AM »
BM

Offline Graybeard

• Professor
  • Darwins +884/-28
  • Is this going somewhere?
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2011, 07:24:21 AM »
Recommended - an interesting read.

as a small paradox:
Who has to prove that "The burden of proof for any claim rests on the claimant" is true? :lol:

More seriously, this is one of the most enlightening observations I have seen:
It's a burden of proof issue.  Most atheists do not in fact insist that the universe had no creator, but even if we did, the one claiming that it did have a creator would still be a greater burden of proof than the naysayer because the one claiming a creator is making a claim that extends ontology, and such claims always carry a greater burden of proof than claims that an ontological extension does not exist. - Pianodwarf
« Last Edit: June 21, 2011, 07:27:14 AM by Graybeard »
Nobody says “There are many things that we thought were natural processes, but now know that a god did them.”

Offline Mr. Blackwell

• Fellow
  • Darwins +338/-39
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2011, 07:32:34 AM »
BM
I just do what I always do, what I have always done. I am me. Take it or leave it.

Offline gonegolfing

• Reader
  • Darwins +24/-2
  • God ?...Don't even get me started !
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2011, 07:45:35 AM »

Good article by Lett  :)

I think this paragraph in sufficiency especially says it all about the theists who come here:

In fact, testimony is always inadequate for any paranormal claim, whether it is offered by an authority or a layperson, for the simple reason that a human being can lie or make a mistake. No amount of expertise in any field is a guarantee against human fallibility, and expertise does not preclude the motivation to lie; therefore a person’s credentials, knowledge and experience cannot, in themselves be taken as sufficient evidence to establish the truth of a claim. Moreover, a person’s sincerity lends nothing to the credibility of his or her testimony. Even if people are telling what they sincerely believe to be the truth, it is always possible that they could be mistaken. Perception is a selective act, dependent upon belief context, expectation, emotional and biochemical states, and a host of other variables. Memory is notoriously problematic, prone to a range of distortions, deletions, substitutions and amplifications. Therefore the testimony that people offer of what they remember seeing or hearing should always be regarded as only provisionally and approximately accurate; when people are speaking about the paranormal, their testimony should never be regarded as reliable evidence in and of itself. The possibility and even the likelihood of error are far too extensive (see Connor 1986) .

How many times have we seen theists come in here and do all of the above and at the end of the day still have zero rational and exhaustive evidence to back up their main claims ? Always.

Theists don't understand why we reject them because they don't understand that most here apply "FILCHERS" to all claims. Most theists are ignorant of these guidelines and therefore have never had their beliefs scrutinized by these rules and by the theists themselves.

I think this elective course is a fantastic idea and should become mandatory in senior public and highschool education. Critical thinking is too important to not do so.

"I believe that there is no God. I'm beyond atheism"....Penn Jillette.

Offline naemhni

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +208/-6
  • Je bois ton lait frappé
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2011, 08:08:51 AM »
Recommended - an interesting read.

as a small paradox:
Who has to prove that "The burden of proof for any claim rests on the claimant" is true? :lol:

More seriously, this is one of the most enlightening observations I have seen:
It's a burden of proof issue.  Most atheists do not in fact insist that the universe had no creator, but even if we did, the one claiming that it did have a creator would still be a greater burden of proof than the naysayer because the one claiming a creator is making a claim that extends ontology, and such claims always carry a greater burden of proof than claims that an ontological extension does not exist. - Pianodwarf

Of course, I didn't think up any of that.  It's a synthesis of things that I've learned over the years.  Even so, though, it's definitely a powerful weapon in the skeptics' arsenal.  (As long as you change "be a greater burden" to "bear a greater burden", that is.  Gah.  I hate when that happens... I always proof before submitting, but this kind of thing slips thru sometimes.)
[On how kangaroos could have gotten back to Australia after the flood]:  Don't kangaroos skip along the surface of the water? --Kenn

Offline mram

• Professor
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • DON'T PRESS THAT BUTTON!
    • Freeclassicflix
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2011, 11:00:39 AM »
In as much as we might like everyone to be filch proof filch proofing is in short supply. Critical thinking is being shunned by many in power to discourage filch proofing in the first place. One need not look any further than the US congress to find pro-filchers all over the place. They want a global embargo on the whole notion of critical thinking and to keep it locked away in a box guarded in Guantanamo in a high security facility if they can..
I like to think I'm filch proof, but... I, like most humans am susceptible outside influences like Charlies DickTM and other diversions our media throws at us on a relentless attempt to turn us all into drones.

I have to admit I didn't read the whole thing, but I do know that more and more schools are turning kids into little pre-preachers to "spread the word" that Jayzez loves you.
They've taken filch-proofing off the shelves because it's hazardous to your health!
Imagine gaining favor with "Darwin's"...kind of like praying, huh?

http://freeclassicflix.co.cc