Offline lotanddaughters

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +48/-20
  • Artist: Simon Vouet (1633)
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
R.I.P.
« on: May 27, 2011, 10:49:45 PM »
Disclaimer:

I am pretty sure that "R.I.P." was originally an abbreviation for the Latin term "requiescat in pace", meaning "may he rest in peace". However, almost all of the folks that I associate with translate it as "rest in peace". Either way, the difference between the two isn't critical in this post. Yeah, I'm talking to you.   

The fact that the term R.I.P. is so recognizable and "understood" is very interesting to me.

If you are an atheist and you believe that before this "existence" you were never conscious and after this "existence" you will never be conscious again, "rest in peace" is an excellent phrase to put on your loved one's tombstone. To you, there is no greater rest than to be totally unconscious. To you, death is the epitome of rest. While you exist, you might think that sleep is the greatest form of rest. Perhaps it is, to a living being. However, I have had some dreams where I was finding alot of money or I was engaging in something else that was exciting. When I woke up, I was disappointed. I have also had some horrifying dreams, where I was being chased by a monster or something and I was totally relieved when I woke up. So, sleep, with the possibility of welcome or unwelcome chaos, is far from the epitome of "rest".

If you are a Christian, I don't think that "rest" is the best way to describe your situation when you "die". In a reality of a Christian afterlife, I would say that "fun" or "eternal bliss" are way better terms than simply "rest", when describing one's ultimate situation. I know that in Heaven you can "rest" or "relax" in a sense that you have no worries. But is the word "rest" the best way to describe what the majority of Christians believe that existence in Heaven is like? I think not.

My whole reason for this post is the assumption that, since there have been more Christians than atheists in this world for a long time[1], "R.I.P." has appeared on many more tombstones of Christians than those of atheists.

My assumption is that when Christians allow the inscription "R.I.P." to be engraved on a loved-one's tombstone, the default-atheist-truth is being implied.  :P

Any thoughts?
 1. I have to say "a long time" instead of "ever" because there were people who didn't buy bullshit way before the bullshit of Christ arrived.

Offline mram

• Professor
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • DON'T PRESS THAT BUTTON!
    • Freeclassicflix
Re: R.I.P.
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2011, 01:18:18 AM »
Interesting idea to me.. I've had a lot of turmoil, depression and suicidal attempts in my life so with me the end of my life will be much like sleep because in times of extreme turmoil and depression sleep has always been a respite. I've taken sleeping medication in the past to sleep even more than i want to because being awake was even worse and along the way I learned to keep things from myself that I can hurt myself with such as guns, poisons, drugs, etc.. I had to learn that the hard way.. When suicide isn't far from your thoughts keeping guns around probably isn't a good idea..
And of course I still find myself often thinking about ending my life even when things aren't as bad as they used to be. I just don't find living in this world as wonderful as some others do because I live in poverty with very limited opportunities so...it's not as thrilling to think, OH GEE.. Tomorrow will be even better.. I'm more pragmatic that way to realize I'm just not very likely to go out and make a super life.. My opportunities are in my past for the most part unless something changes that I don't see now..
Most of it was my own fault so I'm not seeking sympathy..It just is what it is.. I fucked up my life and I have to deal with it..
I also know I'm far from alone with all this. There are thousands upon thousands now who have fewer and fewer opportunities..
So anyway, before I lead myself down a rabbit hole here with no escape I find the prospect of resting in peace a nice prospect.. Once you're dead all your bills are paid. The collectors can't dig you up and take a kidney out of you for old bills and if you, like myself have arrest warrants pending the cops can't dig me up and toss my rotting corpse in prison or the local jail over piddly arrest warrants..
My health is failing so when I die I die.. I kind of look forward to the final time my heart goes thump, I close my eyes and see dark and then nothing..
Now, before anyone gets the wrong notion here I'm NOT telling anyone else their life sucks too.. I'm just saying I never have found life as spiffy as it's portrayed on TV and that thing, spark or whatever for me was just never there..
52 years later..about the same.. No biggie..  Resting in peace..yeah..good idea, but most likely it'll just be beeeeeeeep! That's all folks!
Imagine gaining favor with "Darwin's"...kind of like praying, huh?

http://freeclassicflix.co.cc

Offline commonsense

• Student
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2011, 01:56:10 PM »
mram ,

Sorry to hear of your struggles , I share many of the same but am financially secure with endless opportunities , none of this makes getting up to face another day any easier.
I believe "Rest in Peace" is only a function the living can perform , among other things it sure would be a nice experience.

While it may seem everything is a waste without reason , your posts and views are appreciated by many , thank you .

Offline Graybeard

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +515/-18
  • Is this going somewhere?
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2011, 02:43:17 PM »
Psalms:78:65: Then the Lord awaked as one out of sleep, and like a mighty man that shouteth by reason of wine.
1Th:5:7: For they that sleep sleep in the night; and they that be drunken are drunken in the night.

Seems to me thqt the Lord had a fine perception of what it's like to fall asleep drunk: it's a bit different from being dead.

RIP is a bit of a fatuous thing to write. One version is that we will, once dead and buried, sleep until the Final Trump[1] sounds (1Co:15:52) and then the  trouble begins. Whereas all sleep in the grave is equal for good and bad alike, all you atheist lot will be shitting yourselves when you wake up because you know you are going to Hell and all those Tea Party Christians will get wings, a harp and a cloud of their own (1Th:4:16) and have 24/7 HD 3D God TV (Re:20:12).
 1. Is he still running for president?
Nobody says “There are many things that we thought were natural processes, but now know that a god did them.”

Offline Larissa238

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +12/-1
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2011, 03:49:00 PM »
If I had a tombstone, RIP would be a nice thing on it, but I want to be cremated and put in the ocean. Graves are expensive and a waste. It's just a place for a rotting body. I would rather have my loved ones go to the beach to remember me rather than to some plot of grass. Besides, then I'll become fish food!

If this sounds morbid, I don't think it is. Like mram, I suffer from severe depression and have planned for whats going to happen when I die already. I'm not suicidal, I just know I'm mortal and death may come at anytime, so live it up!
On why Christians and non-Christians have the same rate of divorce:

He would rather it that they worship Him, instead of spending their time on family.

Offline Whateverman

• Reader
  • Darwins +6/-5
    • Skeptical Minds & Rational Thinkers
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2011, 04:02:34 PM »
... My whole reason for this post is the assumption that, since there have been more Christians than atheists in this world for a long time[1], "R.I.P." has appeared on many more tombstones of Christians than those of atheists.

My assumption is that when Christians allow the inscription "R.I.P." to be engraved on a loved-one's tombstone, the default-atheist-truth is being implied.  :P

Any thoughts?
 1. I have to say "a long time" instead of "ever" because there were people who didn't buy bullshit way before the bullshit of Christ arrived.

Your essay was interesting, but IMHO, you went for a conclusion too "cute" for it.  RIP is used for many reasons, few of which (I imagine) have anything to do with a well-thought-out theology or logical world view.  Social convention, a belief in ghosts (of which no congruent explanation is provided by scripture), or simply an ego/ethno-centric phrase meant to offer comfort to the living.  There are any number of reasons for its use, having nothing to do with the contemporary theological wrangling that makes forums like this so much fun to read & post to.
- SMRT Admin

Compared to this thread, retarded midget wrestling for food stamps is the pinnacle of human morality.
-- Ambassador Pony

Offline mram

• Professor
  • Darwins +0/-0
    • Freeclassicflix
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2011, 11:56:30 AM »
... My whole reason for this post is the assumption that, since there have been more Christians than atheists in this world for a long time[1], "R.I.P." has appeared on many more tombstones of Christians than those of atheists.

Any thoughts?

Your essay was interesting, but IMHO, you went for a conclusion too "cute" for it.  RIP is used for many reasons, few of which (I imagine) have anything to do with a well-thought-out theology or logical world view.  Social convention, a belief in ghosts (of which no congruent explanation is provided by scripture), or simply an ego/ethno-centric phrase meant to offer comfort to the living.  There are any number of reasons for its use, having nothing to do with the contemporary theological wrangling that makes forums like this so much fun to read & post to.
Gee.. to bad we don't all have the same world view of cutsiness huh? The OP made a perfectly valid argument even if you think it was to cute.. There's not a whole lot cute about dying, death and how people view it.

Offline Whateverman

• Reader
  • Darwins +6/-5
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2011, 12:52:03 PM »
Gee.. to bad we don't all have the same world view of cutsiness huh? The OP made a perfectly valid argument even if you think it was to cute.. There's not a whole lot cute about dying, death and how people view it.

Did you actually respond to anything I wrote?  How is "we don't all have the same world view" applicable to the discussion?
- SMRT Admin

Compared to this thread, retarded midget wrestling for food stamps is the pinnacle of human morality.
-- Ambassador Pony

Offline mram

• Professor
  • Darwins +0/-0
    • Freeclassicflix
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2011, 03:02:00 PM »
My bad..I didn't think that one through.. I saw "cute" and made an assumption.. I'm sure I'll burn with no rest for that.
Still, I don't see cute in any of it other than the people who toss the phrase around as if just by saying it everyone's death is somehow made better.. Almost like pouring syrup on a plate of rotten fish and saying it taste like pancakes.

Offline Whateverman

• Reader
  • Darwins +6/-5
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2011, 04:47:26 PM »
I meant "cute" as in "designed to elicit a laugh, but not worthy of serious consideration".

Which, as I re-read this thread, I think still applies.  When I say that, I don't mean it as a criticism; I simply thought the juxtaposition (+5 interwebz for me) between historical analysis and humor took a bit away from the former.

Keeping this on track, I really do think "RIP" is more of a statement of the human condition (life: short brutish and nasty - and filled with uncertainty).

And yes, I'm often guilty of taking things too seriously :)
- SMRT Admin

-- Ambassador Pony

Offline mram

• Professor
  • Darwins +0/-0
    • Freeclassicflix
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2011, 06:56:39 PM »
Life is short? Seems I've been around 52 years now.. I bet you can't stand in the corner naked staring at one spot for 72 hours without moving or blinking without thinking.. Damned..life is LONG!  &)

Offline Death over Life

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +25/-4
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2011, 08:20:33 PM »
I don't know really. Personally if I'm put in the grave with a tomb, I'd personally rather have Rest in Chaos as opposed to Rest in Peace.

Even then, I'd rather be cremated and have my ashes pressed into a vinyl so people will still be listening to me even after I'm dead!  ;D

http://www.andvinyly.com/

http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/2010-08/27/and-vinyly

http://www.disinfo.com/2011/04/turn-your-remains-into-a-vinyl-record-when-you-die/