Author Topic: Angels  (Read 258 times)

Offline DrPancake

• Freshman
  • Darwins +6/-0
  • WWGHA Member
Angels
« on: November 07, 2013, 08:22:00 AM »
From my experience, angels are a subject rarely touched upon. I think this is because there are a lot of potentially troubling associations with them, not the least of which being that they're basically a slave race for a God that doesn't really need them.

One thing I always wondered: Why would God acknowledge Satan's rebellion? If humans refuse to obey God he has no choice but to throw them in the burn pit, because FREE WILL.(a problem in itself but that's a different issue)

So Angels apparently have free will if they can rebel. But I've heard no such statement that God has to "respect" this. Couldn't the situation unfold like;

Satan: I refuse to obey you!
God: lol NOPE (mindwipe)

Surely he has the power to wipe rebellious thoughts from their mind. Wouldn't that be more easy than creating a burn pit for them and then having to assign their tasks to other angels?

As it is, it seems God created a hell for Satan and his followers....yet allows them to roam the Earth until Armageddon when he finally puts them there. Though human sinners, whom Hell was not created for, go there immediately upon death?

Offline jynnan tonnix

• Reader
  • Darwins +93/-1
Re: Angels
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2013, 08:38:39 AM »
Good question. I've often wondered some of the same things.

I suppose a case could probably be made that human souls also continue to roam the earth, resulting in in both minor-league demons (which is why the world is, in  some views, continually getting more and more f***ed up) and all those guardian angels people seem to feel are following them around. But as far as I know, there's nothing Biblical to back that up. Makes for some nice woo, though, for those of the "spiritual but not religious" bent.

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +194/-8
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2013, 09:01:08 AM »
God needs his "slave" race of angels to communicate with us...and to blow those horns when God wants our attention.  We each have one looking over us.  That's a lot of angels over time.  I wonder if angels get recycled after a human passes on?

They also helps with that troubling "only one true god" thing.  You see with angels, saints, ect. we can have more than one god (like most ancient societies liked) without really having it that way.  Kind of like the 3 persons in one god thing.

And if there were no angels then there would be no bells.  Every time you hear a bell, an angel gets its wings.
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline rev45

• Reader
  • Darwins +37/-2
  • Did your parents raise you to be an idiot?
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2013, 09:32:46 AM »
God's angel creatures can spend eternity in hell thank you very much.  Although the Throne already looks like it is on fire.
Here read a book.  It's free.
http://www.literatureproject.com/

Could a being create the fifty billion galaxies, each with two hundred billion stars, then rejoice in the smell of burning goat flesh?   Ron Patterson

Offline DrPancake

• Freshman
  • Darwins +6/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2013, 09:54:54 AM »
Oh yeah that's another good point I forgot to mention.

The popular depiction of angels is that they're humans with wings, but angels as described in the bible are monstrous, evoking fear. Rather questionable that a God would send down messengers so grotesque they drive people insane just from looking at them.

Can't help but wonder if Heaven would truly be that much different from Hell, if they're both filled with monsters. And there's Psalms 18 with god breathing fire and surrounded by dark clouds.

Offline neopagan

• Reader
  • Darwins +86/-3
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2013, 11:44:24 AM »
"allegedly" 1/3 of the angels bailed from heaven along with their boss, Lucifer.  That should tell us (actually not us but xtians) something none to comforting about: 1) heaven; 2) Hanging out with this god fellow; 3) the true definition of Omnimax...
If xian hell really exists, the stench of the burning billions of us should be a constant, putrid reminder to the handful of heavenward xians how loving your god is.  - neopagan

Offline Lectus

• Graduate
  • Darwins +18/-0
  • The messiah of mental freedom
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2013, 03:18:55 PM »
"allegedly" 1/3 of the angels bailed from heaven along with their boss, Lucifer.  That should tell us (actually not us but xtians) something none to comforting about: 1) heaven; 2) Hanging out with this god fellow; 3) the true definition of Omnimax...

This.  If they rebelled than heaven isn't perfect at all.

No one living a perfect life would rebel.
Religion: The belief that an all powerful God or gods created the entire universe so that we tiny humans can be happy. And we also make war about it.