Author Topic: You are not a monster.  (Read 1092 times)

Online Zankuu

• Reader
  • Darwins +132/-3
    • I am a Forum Guide
You are not a monster.
« on: May 09, 2011, 08:49:00 AM »
You are not wrong.

You are insecure. You are worried about the level of devotion your creations have for you, so you decide to test one of them to see just how much it loves you. You take notice that he has a son and decide to use it against him. You tell the man, “You love your child, do you not? I want you to sacrifice him. Bind his hands and feet, drive a knife through his guts then burn him to death.” If he tosses his morality aside it will prove how much he loves and fears you. You pat yourself on the back thinking this type of psychological torture is just.[1]

You are not flawed.

You are furious. You have just discovered that women of a rival tribe have been marrying your tribe’s men and convincing them to worship someone else. This is unacceptable. They must pay and the only thing that can calm your rage is bloodshed. You order your people to go to war. Your tribe successfully obliterates and burns every village in their path- cutting down every man until none are left. The women and children are brought back to your tribe’s camp and you watch on as your chosen leader decides their fate. “Kill every young boy. Kill every mother. Do what you want with the virgin girls,” he says to his men. You applaud from above as the children are splashed with the warm blood of their mothers. Some women bleed out on out the dirty ground, hysterical as their boys are run through with swords. In their last moments they contemplate the future of their girls. This is perfect. The gore and rape has calmed your nerves. You can now comfortably tally up and distribute the spoils of war.[2]

You are not evil.

You are bored. A man is about to go to war with a neighboring country. He cries out to you, “Help me murder my enemies and I promise I will burn and sacrifice whoever walks out of my door when I get home!” You think this is a fantastic idea and happily accept. Over the next few months you butcher and torch your way through twenty plus cities; slaughtering countless people and leaving behind a trail of lifeless corpses comprised of men, women, and children. You’ve done your part. It’s now time for the man to make good on his promise. You eagerly watch the man’s front door. It swings open to reveal his only daughter singing and dancing. The father she loves so dearly has survived the war. You grin from ear to ear in anticipation of the sweet, sweet smell of burning human flesh that will soon be entering your nostrils.[3]

You are moral.
You are love.
You are perfect.

You look in the mirror...
…you are Yahweh, the Judeo-Christian god.
 1. Genesis 22
 2. Numbers 31
 3. Judges 11
Leave nothing to chance. Overlook nothing. Combine contradictory observations. Allow yourself enough time. -Hippocrates of Cos

Offline frofrodajimmyboy

• Graduate
  • Darwins +6/-2
  • What he said >
Re: You are not a monster.
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2011, 09:12:37 AM »
Did you write this yourself?

Online Zankuu

• Reader
  • Darwins +132/-3
    • I am a Forum Guide
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2011, 09:20:38 AM »
Yes. Is that a nice way of saying, "I'm sorry you spent your time on this"?  ;)
Leave nothing to chance. Overlook nothing. Combine contradictory observations. Allow yourself enough time. -Hippocrates of Cos

Offline Dante

• Reader
  • Darwins +73/-9
  • Hedonist Extraordinaire
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2011, 09:24:20 AM »
Quite good, Zankuu.
Actually it doesn't. One could conceivably be all-powerful but not exceptionally intelligent.

Offline mram

• Professor
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • DON'T PRESS THAT BUTTON!
    • Freeclassicflix
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2011, 11:44:03 AM »
It kind of makes ya wonder about devotion to a murdering, extremely violent and jealous invisible guy.. So what the hell.. Let's go on a slaughter spree and just say our religion says it's OK..
Oh wait.. we've been doing that nonsense for a few thousand years.. Carry on..

On a side note last year I destroyed an entire village or city or colony by poisoning them all.. Granted they all had 6 legs, but I did it for GAWD and country..  Actually I did it because they were fire ants and they wanted to burn my village down, but they were all female so GAWD said it was OK..  :P
Imagine gaining favor with "Darwin's"...kind of like praying, huh?

http://freeclassicflix.co.cc

Offline frofrodajimmyboy

• Graduate
  • Darwins +6/-2
  • What he said >
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2011, 12:23:31 PM »
Yes. Is that a nice way of saying, "I'm sorry you spent your time on this"?  ;)

It's a nice way of saying "I wanna know who to give credit when I post it on FaceBook"

Offline Death over Life

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +25/-4
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2011, 12:39:57 PM »
I applaud you on a fantastic poem!

The only thing I felt was on the Judges 11 portion, I feel there should have been something about God's omnipotency, and then finding out that God himself couldn't finish the job because of the iron chariots.

Pretty much, God is not powerless.

God is just weak.

Offline LadyLucy

• Reader
  • Darwins +1/-0
  • No one leaves the Nightosphere
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2011, 02:31:28 PM »
Absolutely outstanding. +1

Offline Bagheera

• Graduate
  • Darwins +7/-0
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2011, 08:01:53 PM »
As devil's advocate, I say god's doesn't do these things because he enjoys them. He does these things because they are necessary for the souls of humans to go to heaven, which is more important than prolonging the existence of the shell that houses the soul on earth.

God doesn't do these things because he is angry. He is angry because he must do these things.

Thoughts?

Offline mram

• Professor
  • Darwins +0/-0
    • Freeclassicflix
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2011, 09:11:51 PM »
As devil's advocate, I say god's doesn't do these things because he enjoys them. He does these things because they are necessary for the souls of humans to go to heaven, which is more important than prolonging the existence of the shell that houses the soul on earth.

God doesn't do these things because he is angry. He is angry because he must do these things.

Thoughts?
When an ant bites me I HAVE to go pour gasoline on the colony so they'll all go to heaven/hell? There's an ant colony out by the car I go out and stir up once in a while just because it's...I don't know..fun, but MAYBE I HAVE to be mean to ants so they can suffer and I can make sure they go to heaven?
That doesn't make sense, but I know I can end their universe any time I want with a few sprinkles of some poison shit I have in a bag in the garage.. Judgment Day!  I'm keeping a list of individual ants and I hear them praying..
Please oh giant who walks by with his cane..Please forgive us for wanting to bite your ankle and please stop stirring up the colony.. Hey..for all I know they practice an offshoot religion and send an ant sacrifice to try to bit me in the arm once in a while, but I won't be satisfied till they bring me FOOOD! FOOOD! ..oh yeah..Did I mention the sacrifices are all virgin ants? How cool is that?  ;D

Offline Bagheera

• Graduate
  • Darwins +7/-0
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2011, 10:57:33 PM »
Mram,

If you knew that the ant colony was in a place that was going to be flooded, and you chose to move the colony somehow, all the ants would be aware of is a huge upheaval in their world.

However, this is rather simplistic. The point is that a christianmight argue God's wrath is not his reason for killing people but that having to kill people is why he's angry. However, the disposition of the soul is way more important than thd physical shell, and god has the wisdom to know when the time is right to dispose of the shell so that the soul can be saved. And that is why we are forbidden to murder, because we don't have his ability to dicern that.

How am I doing so far as an apologist?

Offline mram

• Professor
  • Darwins +0/-0
    • Freeclassicflix
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2011, 11:21:19 PM »
Ehhh.. You're doing OK.. Hey.. Maybe god decided since some woman ate the apple we suffer FOREVER!..well almost forever..
He could have given them at least one more chance don't ya think? You know.. Chop Adam's left nut off and smashed it with one of those apples or something? Then said, "Look ya bastards.. You're going to ruin the lives on trillions of souls if you keep this shit up! DON'T EAT that DAMNED thing! and whatever you do ya dumb bastard...Keep that woman in line!" But... Nope.. One shot and BANG! The kicker is these two had ZERO experience in matters of eternal suffering and potential world wars.. I think they deserved at LEAST a good talking to and another chance..  What a mean bastard this god dude was!

Offline grant

• Graduate
  • Darwins +4/-0
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2011, 03:19:58 AM »
Well xjudges2001, that was certainly something. Did you have something you wanted to say?
What if the hokey pokey is what its all about?

Offline natlegend

• Reader
  • Darwins +66/-0
  • Polyatheist
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2011, 04:10:45 AM »
That. Was.
AWESOME.

Easily the most insane thing I have ever seen on the interwebs. I checked out the 'Blaspheming Bitches' video, the girl is thanking god profusely for answering her prayer to make the atheists believe by sending an earthquake to Japan. Horrifying stuff.

Edit: Oh, and if you haven't seen it yet I HIGHLY recommend you watch Tim Minchin's video 'Storm', it is pure brilliance.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2011, 04:13:37 AM by natlegend »
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Online Zankuu

• Reader
  • Darwins +132/-3
    • I am a Forum Guide
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2011, 05:16:49 PM »
Thanks guys.

@Death over Life- That would be a nice addition. I may expand on it sometime in the future and include other nasty personality flaws.

@natlegend- I’m fairly certain the girl you’re talking about admitted to being a Poe. And yes, ‘Storm’ is a beautiful piece of work. You can also find a short animated version of it on YouTube which looks quite nice.

Offline natlegend

• Reader
  • Darwins +66/-0
  • Polyatheist
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2011, 08:18:22 PM »
Drat, xjudges2001 entire mad post removed. So the chick was a Poe huh? Good job!

Zankuu, great OP.

Offline mram

• Professor
  • Darwins +0/-0
    • Freeclassicflix
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2011, 08:21:31 PM »
Just our of curiosity what exactly is involved in becoming a monster? I've had certain fantasies of becoming one, preferably a big one impervious to all modern weapons.. I'd like big sharp teeth, big claws, wings and able to outrun a fighter jet..  :o

Online Zankuu

• Reader
  • Darwins +132/-3
    • I am a Forum Guide
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2011, 05:40:11 AM »
Just our of curiosity what exactly is involved in becoming a monster?

Forcing someone you love to watch Twilight would be a good start.

Offline mram

• Professor
  • Darwins +0/-0
    • Freeclassicflix
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2011, 12:46:40 PM »

OH! No lower form of existence than that! How about any "reality show" with Donald Trump in it?

Offline Hatter23

• Fellow
  • Darwins +258/-7
  • Doesn't believe in one more god than you
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2011, 02:31:13 PM »
Outstanding Sir!!! Outstanding!!!!
An Omnipowerful God needed to sacrifice himself to himself (but only for a long weekend) in order to avert his own wrath against his own creations who he made in a manner knowing that they weren't going to live up to his standards.

And you should feel guilty for this. Give me money.

Offline natlegend

• Reader
  • Darwins +66/-0
  • Polyatheist
« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2011, 10:59:20 PM »

Just an average comedy in my opinion. Could be worse.

Offline Turbo SS

• Graduate
  • Darwins +12/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2011, 08:38:24 AM »
Drat, xjudges2001 entire mad post removed. So the chick was a Poe huh? Good job!

Zankuu, great OP.

What is a POE?  Port Of Entry?  :P

Offline Dante

• Reader
  • Darwins +73/-9
  • Hedonist Extraordinaire
« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2011, 08:52:58 AM »
Actually it doesn't. One could conceivably be all-powerful but not exceptionally intelligent.

Offline mram

• Professor
  • Darwins +0/-0
    • Freeclassicflix
« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2011, 09:17:38 AM »

Just an average comedy in my opinion. Could be worse.
I'm an even bigger monster! I'd make em listen to NPR radio all day!  :o... I don't watch much TV anymore..

Offline Omen

• Professor
  • Darwins +105/-15
  • One of the fucking bad guys; not friendly, tiger!
« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2011, 06:49:11 PM »
This is fantastic.
"Religious faith is the antithesis to knowledge, it is the opposition to education, and it has to act in animosity against the free exchange of ideas.  Why? Because those things are what cause harm to a religions place in society most." - Me

Offline mram

• Professor
  • Darwins +0/-0
    • Freeclassicflix
« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2011, 04:23:35 PM »
You know.. a little sappy here, but I was just looking up at the pictures of my kids and grand kids looking so happy and carefree and I'm absolutely delighted in the knowledge that religion is utter bullshit.. I'm even happier my kids think the same thing. I hope the huns don't have their way with my grand kids and my daughter has the foresight to pre-emt the agenda to make them little praying sheep..  &)

Damned.. I'm possessed.. I suddenly forgot how to spell pre-emt   :o

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +169/-6
  • You're wearing the juice, aren't you?"
« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2011, 03:16:25 PM »
Mram,

If you knew that the ant colony was in a place that was going to be flooded, and you chose to move the colony somehow, all the ants would be aware of is a huge upheaval in their world.

However, this is rather simplistic. The point is that a christianmight argue God's wrath is not his reason for killing people but that having to kill people is why he's angry. However, the disposition of the soul is way more important than thd physical shell, and god has the wisdom to know when the time is right to dispose of the shell so that the soul can be saved. And that is why we are forbidden to murder, because we don't have his ability to dicern that.

as well as any other.  Just saying the words "omniscience" and "creator" makes your argument fail miserably.  ;)
"There is no use in arguing with a man who can multiply anything by the square root of minus 1" - Pirates of Venus, ERB

http://clubschadenfreude.wordpress.com/

Offline mram

• Professor
  • Darwins +0/-0
    • Freeclassicflix
« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2011, 12:44:47 AM »
Mram,

as well as any other.  Just saying the words "omniscience" and "creator" makes your argument fail miserably.  ;)
It's good to know I'm not omnipotent to all ant colonies or I would be pissing off ant colonies everywhere... The colony is still very much alive now and they've dug in deeper under the driveway.. I probably won't be digging up the entire driveway for the sole purpose of pissing off nor killing the ant colony.... I know..I'm just a bastard to piss them off in the first place and I probably killed a bunch of baby ants so in that respect I'm a bit like god, but I didn't order ants to do it themselves...I just shook their world up with my cane. It's HIGHLY doubtful this colony will go forth to hold other ants hostage to the possibility I MIGHT shake up ALL ant colonies or order the murder of future ant colonies a few thousand years from now.. Either love me ants or I'll pour poison and kill every ant on the planet except the special ants? I know I'm a prick, but I'm not THAT much of a prick.. I actually like ants, but thou shalt not build big nasty fire ant hills right where I have to walk between the car and the front door! That's my only real commandment other than not biting me..
By the way..last year I took a nasty spill in the backyard right on another fire ant hill and I felt the ant's wrath... 2 way street here.. &)

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +169/-6
  • You're wearing the juice, aren't you?"
« Reply #28 on: May 17, 2011, 08:04:18 AM »
Mram has found his true calling, god of the fire ants.   ;D

Nasty little bastards. they got through two layers of socks, my bdu pants and the combat boots just to bite me. 
"There is no use in arguing with a man who can multiply anything by the square root of minus 1" - Pirates of Venus, ERB

http://clubschadenfreude.wordpress.com/