Author Topic: Going from Born Again to Atheism  (Read 3726 times)

Offline knebelcm

• Novice
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • WWGHA Member
Re: Going from Born Again to Atheism
« Reply #29 on: November 09, 2011, 07:33:58 PM »
I dont really know how to post on here so ill just add here.

I'm sick and tired of it all. God is such bull shit. he never listens and is full of lies. He is a lair and there is nothing more to it.

'seek me and you will find me'

how many of us on here have gone out to seek him. I bet all of you at one point or another, i know i have. i spent the last 10 years seeking him..you know where it took me?

it made me abandon my friends because they werent good enough for my 'christian life'
it made me run to this place and that trying to find him, reading all kinds of books and eventually finding myself in a real cult for 3 years where they wanted to give me a wife and make me a pastor forever..fuck that.
it made me a 25 (almost 26) year old virgin.
it took away my happiness to never find what i was looking for.

it made me so angry. seeking him but never finding him...he's just an asshole.

Offline jetson

• Administrator
  • Darwins +170/-6
  • Meet George Jetson!
    • Jet Blog
« Reply #30 on: November 09, 2011, 07:45:17 PM »
Welcome knebelcm!

Make it easier, God is not real!  Therefore he can be none of the things you called him!  LOL

Jetson

Offline JeffPT

• Reader
  • Darwins +227/-0
  • I'm a lead farmer mutha fucka
« Reply #31 on: November 09, 2011, 07:52:04 PM »
Jetson's right dude.  God's not real.  There's no reason to be so angry at a fictional character.  What we need to be angry at is the belief. 

Welcome though. 
Whenever events that are purported to occur in our best interest are as numerous as the events that will just as soon kill us, then intent is hard, if not impossible to assert. NDT

Offline jetson

• Administrator
  • Darwins +170/-6
  • Meet George Jetson!
    • Jet Blog
« Reply #32 on: November 09, 2011, 07:58:18 PM »
JeffPT...ya old heathen!  What the hell you been up to?  Keep it real...

Offline Emily

• Professor
  • Darwins +50/-0
« Reply #33 on: November 09, 2011, 08:40:13 PM »

You need three posts in current threads before making your own thread.

I'm sick and tired of it all. God is such bull shit. he never listens and is full of lies. He is a lair and there is nothing more to it.

how many of us on here have gone out to seek him. I bet all of you at one point or another, i know i have. i spent the last 10 years seeking him..you know where it took me?

it made me abandon my friends because they werent good enough for my 'christian life'
it made me run to this place and that trying to find him, reading all kinds of books and eventually finding myself in a real cult for 3 years where they wanted to give me a wife and make me a pastor forever..fuck that.

God is a dick. He's a complete and utter dick. The whole idea of a god is that of a complete and utter dick. Pat Condell summed it in saying "the holy spirit can be summed up in three words - ' thou shalt not'"
[1]

Don't be too pissed, though. You're in good hands here. Enjoy your stay. Many of us (including myself) are former christians. Make two more posts in any thread and you can create your own. Enjoy.

-M
 1. http://youtu.be/V8PCecgWKeI
"Great moments are born from great opportunities." Herb Brooks

I edit a lot of my posts. The reason being it to add content or to correct grammar/wording. All edits to remove wording get a strike through through the wording.

Offline Historicity

• Reader
  • Darwins +80/-2
  • (Rama, avatar of Vishnu)
« Reply #34 on: November 09, 2011, 09:33:13 PM »
Also it could really hurt my career.  I work for a very large company however, the culture around here is pretty much everyone I have met is definitely saved or at least pretends to be.  Even though no one would say it, I know I could be passed up for promtion because of atheism.
As indeed you should be:

Offline Historicity

• Reader
  • Darwins +80/-2
« Reply #35 on: November 09, 2011, 10:09:02 PM »
We dont all keep our passion like a born again.  It's like when you date a chick for the first time and then it wears off.  Dont be discouraged. 
Gibberish.  You've just indicated you are an irrationalist.

To show that this is utterly necessary,  instead of putting us through the bullshit while he sits up there like a boss in his suit, he came down to our level in the flesh(Jesus) and suffered a torturous death no human will ever be asked to endure.
During the Middle Ages a woman was being burned for heresy by being chained to a seat and a fires kept close to her.  Between screams she begged, "In the name of Jesus Christ whom we both confess, please move the fire closer."  But they didn't and she got a good long slow roasting. 

Then again, in a sense you're right.  No one asked her.

Offline Historicity

• Reader
  • Darwins +80/-2
« Reply #36 on: November 09, 2011, 10:18:55 PM »
While I am reluctanct to call myself 'Athiest', I consider myself more of an agnostic - someone that believes in the possibility of a god, but would like proof.  Athiest is just to 'taboo' sounding for me I guess. 

If you're reluctant and consider the supernatural an unproven possibility you are merely athy rather than athiest.

Athy, athier, athiest    (As opposed to ATHEIST)

I keep telling that joke.  Nobody laughs.  Like Red Skelton, I will keep telling that joke until someone laughs.

BTW I make that "I before E" error myself.

Offline kardula

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +2/-0
« Reply #37 on: November 10, 2011, 01:37:24 AM »
I was raised in a family that was Christian but not fundamental by any stretch.  Rarely went to church even.  My parents put me in a private school in middle school that was fairly fundamental.  So by the time I was 13th I was saved and completely believed it with all my heart.  I was more passionate about it than anything.  So obviously I got more involved in church and most all of my friends were christian.

I was like this probably until my mid 20's.  I started questioning things more and more.  I questioned a little bit from the beginning but I was always satisfied with the typical christian answers from my friends, teachers, pastors etc.  Anyway,  after reading the Bible more and more and reading all the evidence against christianity my faith started shaking.  I prayed to God many times for help, read the Bible more and more and asked friends and a pastor for help.  Gradually my faith disapated more and more and then one day all of the sudden it just hit.  I no longer believe in God. 

I felt like a weight had been lifted off my shoulders.  All of the tough questions in the world now all made sense to me.  I felt so happy!  Unfortunately, I live in the buckle of the Bible belt and still have to play along.  Most of my friends are still Christian and I am afraid I could lose them if they found out (yes they are good people otherwise and good reliable friends).  Also it could really hurt my career.  I work for a very large company however, the culture around here is pretty much everyone I have met is definitely saved or at least pretends to be.  Even though no one would say it, I know I could be passed up for promtion because of atheism.  :(  Christians talk about how they feel persecuted all the time.  However, when you live in the Bible belt its the complete opposite.  They think you are a bad person or morally corrupt if you dont believe in God. 

Anyway, since I cant tell a single person, I wanted to get it off my chest somewhere.  Thanks for listening guys.

It is not only a good thing, but a great thing to question your beliefs. I find too many people do not do so. I live in Lubbock TX, the buckle of the bible belt as many around here call it and yes, it's very very taboo to be anything other than a fundy conservative. Whilst I am a christian I often find myself at odds with many of the locals, especially those whom have never thought for themselves. It's great that you are doing so and in thinking for yourself are drawing logical conclusions based on the evidence.

I find it quite sad that it's true you may be passed up for a promotion/job oppurtunity due to being an atheist, or as it works around here, non protestant church going. You should be judged by your merits and the content of your character and performance at work, not whether you attend church or believe in god.

Offline used to believe

• Freshman
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #38 on: December 02, 2011, 07:30:27 PM »

whats that song lyric?,, and I still havent found what i;m looking for

Offline Historicity

• Reader
  • Darwins +80/-2
« Reply #39 on: December 10, 2011, 06:57:43 AM »
Thank you, UsedToBelieve, for the relevant reference.  That's a U2 song.

I have climbed highest mountains,
I have run through the fields,
Only to be with you,
Only to be with you.
I have run,
I have crawled,
I have scaled these city walls,
These city walls,
Only to be with you.

But I still haven't found what I'm looking for.

I have kissed honey lips,
Felt the healing in her fingertips.
It burned like a fire,
This burning desire.
I have spoke with the tongue of angels.
I have held the hand of a devil.
It was warm in the night,
I was cold as a stone.

I believe in the Kingdom Come.
Then all the colors will bleed into one,
Bleed into one.
But, yes, I'm still running.

You broke the bonds,
And you loosed the chains,
Carried the cross,
Of my shame,
Oh my shame.
You know I believe it.

Offline violatedsmurf80

• Graduate
  • Darwins +2/-0
« Reply #40 on: December 10, 2011, 06:54:40 PM »
Ya man, I know how you feel I live in NC and I also had to keep quiet, for about a year, but i soon tired of it and one day some one said isn't GoD great, my snide remark to that was ya so great that he still has not gave my leg back but you gotta keep believing. Then a month later I found this site, from that point on I made it clear that I did not believe in him anymore.

When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross.”--- Sinclair Lewis

I believe there is something out there watching over us. Unfortunately, it's the government.