Author Topic: Hilarious Mailbag Pattern  (Read 12567 times)

Offline monkeymind

• Fellow
  • Darwins +44/-4
  • I don't understand what I know about it!
    • How To Know If You Are A Real Christian
Re: Hilarious Mailbag Pattern
« Reply #174 on: January 05, 2011, 03:06:44 PM »
I don't believe in the electron flow theory, but even I won't piss on an electric fence.
Truthfinder:the birds adapt and change through million of years in order to survive ,is that science, then cats should evolve also wings to better catch the birds
Mailbag:On a side note, back in college before my conversion, I actually saw a demon sitting next to me in critical thinking class.

Offline Jim

• Reader
  • Darwins +11/-1
  • Born Again Atheist
« Reply #175 on: January 05, 2011, 07:26:17 PM »
I'm not believing in gravity.

In all fairness Jim, you don't have to :)

Therefore, I can stick my fingers in my ears and say to you: nyah-nee nah nah NAH!

Besides, we all know that grass is God's velcro.  That's why we don't fall off the flat earth.
Survey results coming soon!

Offline Gnu Ordure

• Fellow
  • Darwins +109/-9
« Reply #176 on: January 05, 2011, 08:12:19 PM »
Hguols,
Atheism is an opinion held, therefor a belief.
Again with the equivocation; it's not an atheist's opinion that he lacks belief in gods; he simply lacks belief in gods. And lack of belief isn't a form of belief, it's the antithesis of belief.

Absence of an opinion is not a form of opinion - it is the antithesis of an opinion.
The believe definition included "to hold an opinion; think".  Lets rephrase that....
Why? Why drag in another meaning of 'belief' to muddy the waters? As Aga said, If you are sincerely trying to learn about atheism, then you are going to have to drop these ridiculous semantics games.

Not thinking about X is a form of thinking about X.

I can see why you say that makes no sense - and it doesn't....   That is a correct general statement, and I agree with you in the way you put it.
Good. Glad you agree.

.....but there's one small problem.
And what's that?

When someone says "I'm not thinking about X", in effect, they are.  Its impossible to mention X without it being somewhere in the brain.
<sigh> This is by far the worst of your equivocations so far. You're now trying to say that if someone asks you if you believe in fairies, you can legitimately answer 'Yes' because you believe in the word 'fairies', which does undoubtedly exist. That is a deliberate misinterpretation of the question which fools no-one.

Example:
"I have no opinion of Twangdillo" can only be true if:
- I don't know what Twangdillo is
- I've never heard of Twangdillo.
If Twangdillo was the name of the latest album by modern pop-combo Extreme Noise Terror, then I can legitimately say that I have no opinion of it on the grounds that I haven't heard the album, even though I've heard of it and know what it is. Thus proving you wrong.

It's almost like asking, "Is fiction true?".
It's not fact, but its true that a fiction story is a story, and it does exist.
Same trivial semantic equivocation.

You seem to be asserting that atheism is a philosophical perspective which encompasses a particular worldview, as religions tend to do. If so, then please describe it briefly.... your answer will need to encompass the worldviews of such atheists as Lenin, Carl Sagan, Pol Pot, Jean-Paul Sartre and Donald Trump....
There are no gods. or We deny the existence of gods.
Is that brief enough?
That's too brief. Agreed, 'we don't believe in gods' is a defining characteristic of (agnostic) atheism.

So what other characteristics are there?

For the five categories I gave examples of, communism, environmentalism, fascism, existentalism and capitalism, I could give you five defining characteristics of those world-views.

So give me another four for the agnostic atheist worldview - bearing in mind that all those five people were atheists, so your characteristics must apply to all of them.

That's one of the trademarks of a cult - a group of people who define and redefine their own words.
We are not defining our own words. We're simply using encylopedia definitions because they are more comprehensive than ordinary dictionaries.

Don't you see what's seriously wrong with that statement?  Anyone can redefine WIKI for one.... 
So what? There are other encyclopedias, I've got my own copy of Britannica, but it's convenient to use the best on-line one. And no-one's saying Wiki is perfect.

for another, it just looks like brainwashing
Now you're being silly. Using Wiki as a guide is brainwashing? Please. And who is doing this brain-washing, exactly?

or a super inflated ego
And now you're just being rude.

Gnu.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2011, 08:49:53 PM by Gnu Ordure »

Offline sammylama

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +8/-1
  • Look at me and my bad self.
« Reply #177 on: January 05, 2011, 09:09:19 PM »
This place isn't really a place for discussion...

Do you want to talk about it?    :D
You can't convince a believer of anything; for their belief is not based on evidence, it's based on a deep seated need to believe.
--  Carl Sagan

Offline Agamemnon

• Fellow
  • Darwins +15/-0
« Reply #178 on: January 05, 2011, 10:24:57 PM »
Hguols:
That's one of the trademarks of a cult - a group of people who define and redefine their own words.

I think that is a trademark of a culture, not a cult. I think what we have here can be described as a culture, but that is no different from any other social group that shares some common traits.

I am a member of a gun club, so I have adopted their culture. I speak the "language" of guns when I visit gun forums or go to the rifle range. It isn't a religion, although some members are very passionate about their guns. It isn't a cult but many of them are frequently defensive and outspoken about their gun rights. I enjoy going to the range, horse trading, etc., but that is about all I have in common with most of them.

It's no different here... With the exception of a noticeably higher level of intelligence here than at the gun club.
So far as I can remember, there is not one word in the Gospels in praise of intelligence.  --Bertrand Russell

Offline jetson

• Administrator
  • Darwins +170/-6
  • Meet George Jetson!
    • Jet Blog
« Reply #179 on: January 05, 2011, 10:28:56 PM »

It's no different here... With the exception of a noticeably higher level of intelligence here than at the gun club.

No kidding?

Offline Agamemnon

• Fellow
  • Darwins +15/-0
« Reply #180 on: January 05, 2011, 10:45:35 PM »
...Well... We got our share of knots, you know... ;)
So far as I can remember, there is not one word in the Gospels in praise of intelligence.  --Bertrand Russell

Offline Gnu Ordure

• Fellow
  • Darwins +109/-9
« Reply #181 on: January 18, 2011, 07:08:28 PM »
So I asked Aga to re-open this thread because I thought Hguols wanted to pursue it as much as I did... but Hguols disappeared after one more post to me.

That's disappointing. I thought we were getting somewhere.

(Maybe we were - but he didn't want to go there).

Gnu.

Offline johnsonkid

• Freshman
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #182 on: May 17, 2011, 10:04:50 PM »
Yeah, I think I heard a proverb somewhere that says something like " A soft answer turns away wrath: but grievous words stir up anger."[1]

Or as someone else put it "Show me a violent man who produced good ends and I will take him for my teacher."[2

« Last Edit: May 17, 2011, 10:37:15 PM by jetson »

Offline Emily

• Professor
  • Darwins +50/-0
« Reply #183 on: May 17, 2011, 10:30:03 PM »
^^ I believe your sig is in violation of the forum rules regarding advertising.

I wonder: Do sites like those in your sig even know what a CAL or ELA is?

PS: Openoffice is much better...
« Last Edit: May 17, 2011, 10:36:15 PM by Emily »
"Great moments are born from great opportunities." Herb Brooks

I edit a lot of my posts. The reason being it to add content or to correct grammar/wording. All edits to remove wording get a strike through through the wording.

Offline jetson

• Administrator
  • Darwins +170/-6
  • Meet George Jetson!
    • Jet Blog
« Reply #184 on: May 17, 2011, 10:36:47 PM »
Yeah, I think I heard a proverb somewhere that says something like " A soft answer turns away wrath: but grievous words stir up anger."[1]

Or as someone else put it "Show me a violent man who produced good ends and I will take him for my teacher."[2

Outlook 2010
Microsoft Office Professional 2007
Microsoft Access 2010

Moderator edit:

Removed unnecessary links in your post.  Please keep unrelated links out of posts.

Jetson