Author Topic: What is SPAG  (Read 8230 times)

Offline Jim

• Reader
  • Darwins +11/-1
  • Born Again Atheist
Re: What is SPAG
« Reply #29 on: April 01, 2011, 11:52:52 AM »
^ So, Elgdorf the Eggy, please explain this interesting and labyrinthine set of links.
Survey results coming soon!

Offline Gnu Ordure

• Fellow
  • Darwins +109/-9
« Reply #30 on: April 01, 2011, 12:44:56 PM »
This nightmare is getting worse...

I've never had one of my posts on the Messages of the Week board - strange, given the neverending stream of wisdom and wit which flows from my keyboard, but true..

Until fucking today, that is.

... when my post 15 on this thread became my first representative on that hallowed board - a post which with hindsight portrays me being egocentric, smug, wrong, and totally unaware of the volley of eggs already flying though the air in the direction of my face.

Great. Fantastic. So now even more people will click on that link and see this prime eggsample of my folly and hubris.

Hey, here's an idea, why don't more of you go and +1 that post? Rub it in, why don't you? God knows I deserve it.

Egg Gnug.

Offline Jim

• Reader
  • Darwins +11/-1
  • Born Again Atheist
« Reply #31 on: April 01, 2011, 12:49:02 PM »
But, Eggdorf... who is Eggdorf?  Are you?  And, what the heck does that have to do with Egg and SPAM SPAG and Skolny?

Offline Zankuu

• Reader
  • Darwins +135/-3
    • I am a Forum Guide
« Reply #32 on: April 01, 2011, 12:59:36 PM »
This is my favorite thread since Agga was hazed.  ;D
Leave nothing to chance. Overlook nothing. Combine contradictory observations. Allow yourself enough time. -Hippocrates of Cos

Offline Gnu Ordure

• Fellow
  • Darwins +109/-9
« Reply #33 on: April 01, 2011, 01:07:41 PM »
But, Eggdorf... who is Eggdorf?  Are you?
No, I'm the EggDork. I don't who Elgdorf is. I don't know anything. It wasn't me in the first place, honest. We gnus all look the same.

This is my favorite thread since Agga was hazed
Yeah, roll up, roll up, plenty of room left to kick a gnu when he's down.

Man, this place is tough - y'make one teeny error and it's vulture time.

Offline Jim

• Reader
  • Darwins +11/-1
  • Born Again Atheist
« Reply #34 on: April 01, 2011, 01:11:26 PM »
EggDork?  The Beatles sang about you, didn't they?  "I am the EggDork, they are the EggDorks...."

Let's get back on topic, shall we?  Self Projection With Egg.  What does it mean to you?

Offline xphobe

• Professor
  • Darwins +12/-0
  • the truth is out there
« Reply #35 on: April 01, 2011, 01:17:29 PM »
Which came first, der Vogel or das Ei?

"Der Vogel kämpft sich aus dem Ei. Das Ei ist die Welt. Wer geboren werden will, muß eine Welt zerstören. Der Vogel fliegt zu Gott. Der Gott heißt Abraxas."

- H. Hesse

I stopped believing for a little while this morning. Journey is gonna be so pissed when they find out...

Offline Gnu Ordure

• Fellow
  • Darwins +109/-9
« Reply #36 on: April 01, 2011, 01:24:22 PM »
Self Projection With Egg.  What does it mean to you?

It means, Egg Projection At Self. Unfortunately.

Offline Zankuu

• Reader
  • Darwins +135/-3
    • I am a Forum Guide
« Reply #37 on: April 01, 2011, 01:29:44 PM »
If you type 'egg on gnu' at Google images you get this picture:

Which I find humorous because I imagine Gnu sharing the same look of disapproval when reading this thread.  ;D
Leave nothing to chance. Overlook nothing. Combine contradictory observations. Allow yourself enough time. -Hippocrates of Cos

Offline Gnu Ordure

• Fellow
  • Darwins +109/-9
« Reply #38 on: April 01, 2011, 03:13:08 PM »
Fine. Why not? Serves me right.

One minute you're a magnificent wild beast, master of the Serengeti... next minute you're natural selection's April Fool's joke...

Sheesh.

Life's sooo unfair.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2011, 03:26:48 PM by Gnu Ordure »

Offline Zankuu

• Reader
  • Darwins +135/-3
    • I am a Forum Guide
« Reply #39 on: April 01, 2011, 05:22:20 PM »
^At least you have 10 sex chromosomes now. Mathematically you're more sexy than ever, Gnu.

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +709/-28
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #40 on: April 11, 2011, 12:26:43 PM »
Interesting. I was nosing around the old forum.  In DTE's profile it said:

Last Active:  March 11, 2011, 02:21:32 PM

Wild.
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Offline Aceluffy

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +6/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #41 on: April 11, 2011, 11:18:30 PM »
Interesting. I was nosing around the old forum.  In DTE's profile it said:

Last Active:  March 11, 2011, 02:21:32 PM

Wild.

I hope he initiates another debate with a Christian or better yet....several of them, I believe he can take them on with no problem. I really do enjoy reading his posts.

I think my IQ went up several points after reading his SPAG article and his debate with pastor Alan :)
If we were made in His image, then why aren't humans invisible too?

Offline Seank

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • Typos are intentional, honest.
« Reply #42 on: May 22, 2011, 07:20:52 AM »
No worries, Xphobe.

I see that Rationalwiki also have an article on WWGHA, which is nice. Who wrote that, I wonder?

I edited that as well, to add the line about Brain being the author.

And I used the word edutainment for the first and hopefully the last time in my life - my excuse being that that's the term used in the HowStuffWorks wiki article. Never again, I promise.

Hey Gnu,

I put that the WWGHA article up over at RW. I used to post here, but I kind of got hooked on the wiki format. Thanks again for your help. I'll link to this thread so we have a bit more background on the origin of the phrase. I wrote the WWGHA amputees article some time ago, so feel free to suggest changes or pop over and update it if it's a bit dated.

I'm currently rewriting the SPAG article, as it had become a bit messy. The new version should be up a little later today. I'm sticking with DTE as the author; it's most solid origin I could find.

seank/Concernedresident
"I yam what I yam and that's all that I yam"
Popeye (the sailor man)

Offline pastoralan

• Novice
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • WWGHA Member
Pastoralan briefly reappears
« Reply #43 on: August 13, 2011, 12:08:11 AM »
I've thought of that debate from time to time. That leads me to ask a different question:

Does history model reality in the same way that the physical sciences do?

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +709/-28
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #44 on: August 14, 2011, 08:26:58 AM »
It's peculiar to me that is the question that you come to and not "why the flip have I believed in a god all this time?"
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Online Azdgari

• Laureate
  • Darwins +300/-32
Re: Pastoralan briefly reappears
« Reply #45 on: August 14, 2011, 09:09:55 AM »
I've thought of that debate from time to time. That leads me to ask a different question:

This is an odd thread for your question.  That said:  How do you think that the physical sciences model reality?  You could mean several things by those words.
I have not encountered any mechanical malfunctioning in my spirit.  It works every single time I need it to.

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +169/-6
  • You're wearing the juice, aren't you?"
« Reply #46 on: August 15, 2011, 08:35:58 AM »

you seem to be indicating that it doesn't.  Can you show evidence of that viewpoint?

I supsect that Alan wants to try to claim that since we can't be totally sure of history this allows for his myths to be valid.
"There is no use in arguing with a man who can multiply anything by the square root of minus 1" - Pirates of Venus, ERB

http://clubschadenfreude.wordpress.com/

Offline Hatter23

• Fellow
  • Darwins +265/-8
  • Doesn't believe in one more god than you
« Reply #47 on: August 15, 2011, 09:42:37 AM »

Actually it is similar. People find some evidence, put together a model, more evidence is found that does not  match that model, the model is changed.

There are differences given that  many items are not reproducible, however when the more farfetched the positive claim is, such as "This is the tomb of King Athur" the more independent verification is required. Other physical sciences, such as carbon dating, are used to cross verify things.

Similar to the phyiscal sciences, popular media tends to sensationalize farfetched positive claims with flimsy evidence, as these are more interesting to the general public.
An Omnipowerful God needed to sacrifice himself to himself (but only for a long weekend) in order to avert his own wrath against his own creations who he made in a manner knowing that they weren't going to live up to his standards.

And you should feel guilty for this. Give me money.

StopComplainingandLive

« Reply #48 on: August 08, 2012, 11:19:36 PM »
so it should be called SPOA
self projection of atheistism: the belief of nothing
believe whatever you can see, ignoring the extraordinary, unexplained or unknown
atheists are also capable of only hearing and seeing what they want
this argument is hypocritical and pointless

if your going to create an argument make sure it can be definitive, not simply reverses whatever you or anyone in the world can believe

Online wright

• Reader
  • Darwins +85/-1
  • "Sleep like a log, snore like a chainsaw."
« Reply #49 on: August 09, 2012, 12:12:19 AM »
so it should be called SPOA
self projection of atheistism: the belief of nothing
believe whatever you can see, ignoring the extraordinary, unexplained or unknown
atheists are also capable of only hearing and seeing what they want
this argument is hypocritical and pointless

if your going to create an argument make sure it can be definitive, not simply reverses whatever you or anyone in the world can believe

Welcome to the forum, SCaL.

While there is not a specific rule against it, commenting on a thread that is more than a month or so old is considered "thread necromancy" and discouraged. If this particular topic concerns you, find a more recent discussion that bears on it and comment there.
Live a good life... If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. I am not afraid.
--Marcus Aurelius

Offline LoriPinkAngel

• Reader
  • Darwins +132/-6
  • I'm Your Nurse, Not Your Waitress...
« Reply #50 on: August 09, 2012, 01:14:44 AM »
We just so happened to get a little off topic & have been discussing SPAG a little in the Are Christians Delusional Thread... It's on the end pages & I have to admit it's my fault. : &)
It doesn't make sense to let go of something you've had for so long.  But it also doesn't make sense to hold on when there's actually nothing there.

Offline thissiteiscrazy

• Freshman
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #51 on: May 10, 2014, 04:25:15 AM »
This is really sad. This is not a existential, spiritual, or even intellectual discussion. This is basically gossip. Who said what.

Offline thissiteiscrazy

• Freshman
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #52 on: May 10, 2014, 04:39:30 AM »
If God is subjective to you, you are living in your own private world. Subjective means your own personal view. If you are in your own private world no wonder you have no sense God. There is more to the planet earth and the universe than your own private subjective point of view. Although you are an individual, subjectivism is relevant, but if you have no objectivity you do not see the bigger picture. There is more to the universe and human existence than just you. You are a part of it and a valued part of it but you are a part of a grander scheme whether or not you believe in God. We all have a subjective view as to what will make us happy and serve as part of a greater purpose and that is part of the grander perspective. As to if God is only Spag; that is only for those who close themselves off to the bigger world and live only for their personal point of view.

Offline Graybeard

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +551/-19
  • Is this going somewhere?
« Reply #53 on: May 10, 2014, 05:32:16 AM »
Hello thissiteiscrazy,

I am writing in green bold as I am acting in my capacity as a moderator, rather than a member posting a response.

The thread you posed in had its last response about 18 months ago. Resurrecting old threads is a bad idea as those who posted may not be around to give their views and responses.

You have made several points and, to receive responses, you may wish to copy them and use them as the foundation of a new thread of your own.

GB Mod
Nobody says “There are many things that we thought were natural processes, but now know that a god did them.”