Author Topic: Me  (Read 5351 times)

Offline xphobe

• Professor
  • Darwins +12/-0
  • the truth is out there
Re: Me
« Reply #58 on: March 20, 2011, 12:24:32 AM »
I just want to leave all of you with one final thought. Where is it all headed if there is an entire society of humans that have no beliefs?

Who said we have no beliefs?  I believe that it's important to care for and support my family, to take reasonable steps to avoid squandering natural resources or fouling my own environment, to treat other people with fairness and respect, as I would want to be treated.  I believe that by maximizing individual liberty we make it possible for those individuals to achieve greatness limited only by their imagination.  At the same time, I believe that some people will look for opportunities to cheat, exploit or coerce others for personal gain, and a system of laws and enforcement needs to be in place to protect free individuals from force and fraud.

But then, you don't really mean "no beliefs", you mean "beliefs other than yours".  Because a race of humans with absolutely no beliefs would be basically animals, and it would look just like any other animal population you care to observe.  Some thrive, some don't.  Being basically a weak, frail species of great ape with no protective body fur, we probably wouldn't do very well.

1984 comes to mind. A ruling class that mocked people well after they had enslaved and deceived them. Surely all of you can see this train wreck coming?

As a matter of fact, I can.  It's happening in Iran and the Muslim world, it's starting to get exported to Europe, and there are theocratic politicians in the west like Mike Huckabee who openly advocate a government based on "Biblical principles".  It scares the hell out of me.
I stopped believing for a little while this morning. Journey is gonna be so pissed when they find out...

Offline LadyLucy

• Reader
  • Darwins +1/-0
  • No one leaves the Nightosphere
« Reply #59 on: March 20, 2011, 01:01:55 AM »
Bye. I'm glad that I won't hear metaphors that make no sense (and I'm sure you don't know what you're talking about) anymore.

By the way, you are the one who chose to come here. We didn't bring you here. You did, sir. It's all about choices. So, I don't see the "enslaver". I only see the "one who has no clue what he's talking about, but still tries as to be a pseudo-intellectual through the heavy usage of metaphors".

Offline ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +732/-6
  • Hide and Seek World Champion since 1958!
« Reply #60 on: March 20, 2011, 01:52:00 AM »
Not having one belief (in god) and having NO beliefs are two very different things. We all have beliefs. Atheists just prefer the kind that we can justify.

Bye bye...
Not everyone is entitled to their own opinion. They're all entitled to mine though.

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +646/-27
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #61 on: March 20, 2011, 07:30:19 AM »
I just want to leave all of you with one final thought. Where is it all headed if there is an entire society of humans that have no beliefs?

We have lots of beliefs.  We just do not believe in gods.

Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Offline pianodwarf

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +208/-6
  • Je bois ton lait frappĂ©
« Reply #62 on: March 20, 2011, 07:47:17 AM »
I find there to be a great disagreement between us.

You're only figuring this one out now...?

Where is it all headed if there is an entire society of humans that have no beliefs?

That's a pretty silly thing to ask.  Have you ever met even one single human being anywhere, ever, who didn't believe anything?  I'm not expert in this area of psychology, but I'd hazard a guess that believing nothing isn't even possible.

Bye.

This is the debating technique known as "Hit and Run".  Nice job.

http://www.orange-papers.org/orange-propaganda.html#hit_and_run
[On how kangaroos could have gotten back to Australia after the flood]:  Don't kangaroos skip along the surface of the water? --Kenn

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +280/-37
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
« Reply #63 on: March 20, 2011, 07:48:28 AM »

We have lots of beliefs.  We just do not believe in gods.

And in that regard, it seems to be working for Sweden. It's one of the least religious countries in the world and also the best in many areas
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

A.K.A.: Blaziken_rjcf/Lucifer/All In One.

Offline ZenZen

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +1/-0
  • An atheist, who loves her GODless life....!
« Reply #64 on: March 20, 2011, 11:57:33 AM »

And in that regard, it seems to be working for Sweden. It's one of the least religious countries in the world and also the best in many areas

...Guess who is third! ;D
It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not.

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. - Voltaire

Offline Graybeard

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +512/-18
  • Is this going somewhere?
« Reply #65 on: March 20, 2011, 01:14:06 PM »
And so it ends. The prophet shakes the dust from his feet and the inhabitants of WWGHAtown go about their daily lives as before, wondering why he came in the first place if his mind was closed.
RELIGION, n. A daughter of Hope and Fear, explaining to Ignorance the nature of the Unknowable. Ambrose Bierce

Offline Hatter23

• Fellow
  • Darwins +257/-7
  • Doesn't believe in one more god than you
« Reply #66 on: March 21, 2011, 07:10:57 AM »
Bye.

This is the debating technique known as "Hit and Run".  Nice job.

http://www.orange-papers.org/orange-propaganda.html#hit_and_run

Yeah, I was thinking much the same. If he were honest the response would have been; "I am incapable of handling debate and defending my position. So, in my smug insecurity, I will leave you(because I cannot support it) with what I consider great wisdom: "Your position is wrong"

An Omnipowerful God needed to sacrifice himself to himself (but only for a long weekend) in order to avert his own wrath against his own creations who he made in a manner knowing that they weren't going to live up to his standards.

And you should feel guilty for this. Give me money.

Offline Anfauglir

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +408/-5
« Reply #67 on: March 21, 2011, 07:24:47 AM »

Yeah, if only there was a society where every living human was certain that god existed - nothing could go wrong them.

You know....like when the only humans were Adam and Eve, or the only humans were Noah and his family......things went well from that point, didn't they?

And we can look at some of the communities that have the strongest and firmest beliefs in their god.  You know, like Westboro Baptist Church, or in Iraq.  Some great stuff going on there.

Or maybe - just maybe - when we get to the point where everyone realises for sure that THIS life is the only one we all get, they will realise that THIS world is the one we have to make heaven, and all the bigotry and hatred will fall away.

Just a thought.
Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid.
Why is it so hard for believers to answer a direct question?

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +169/-6
  • You're wearing the juice, aren't you?"
« Reply #68 on: March 21, 2011, 09:26:50 AM »
I find there to be a great disagreement between us. One where either of us will convince the other of there beliefs or in your case unbeliefs. I have no great frustrations with you, or dusting of my feet. And I don't question my own faith either.
No kidding.  You are quite sure you are one more OneTrueChristiantm who has created god in their image.

I'm assuming you mean beliefs in a god/the supernatural.  To a much better place where we don't have people killing each other over whose invisible friend is best.

1984 comes to mind. A ruling class that mocked people well after they had enslaved and deceived them. Surely all of you can see this train wreck coming? Do you think that all of you can combine your power and resources to fight back? Do you think that you can overcome each other to accomplish this?
I do love how Chritians must rely on fear in their attempts to get people to follow their religion.  No, no train wreck coming.  And since your god doesn't exist, if anythign does happen, that's all we have, our resources and each other.  I do find it hilarious that it's the religious idiots who are attempting to force their wills on everyone, not atheists.  See, right here,  the religous right is sure that they need to use the IRS to persecute anyone who has had an abortion of their own free will on the claim that no government money can be spent on abortions: http://scienceblogs.com/pharyngula/2011/03/just_another_day_in_rethuglica.php  Since I pay taxes too, I'm quite content for *my* money to go to those people.  Theists are the problem here. 

And if you are the enslaver, what happens when they find something wrong with you, and throw you into the fire next?
ooooh threats, I do love that.

Good-bye you nutless wonder.
"There is no use in arguing with a man who can multiply anything by the square root of minus 1" - Pirates of Venus, ERB

http://clubschadenfreude.wordpress.com/