Author Topic: I'm Distressed & Need Answers!!  (Read 12266 times)

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +285/-37
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
Re: I'm Distressed & Need Answers!!
« Reply #58 on: March 14, 2011, 01:53:51 PM »
*Covers ears and goes "lalalalala I'm not listening!"*

^That is what you're doing
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

A.K.A.: Blaziken_rjcf/Lucifer/All In One.

Offline SOI

• Student
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #59 on: March 14, 2011, 01:57:40 PM »
Freedom.

What is freedom? All the materialistic things in our lives, we are slaves to them.

Death.

People think that they are not afraid to die, and yet they have not come to that point (yes, I realize neither have I). But to think that we are content (Believing that I do no wrong to anyone, unrepentive), or happy to live our lives to the fullest. These ideologies are not fufilling and dangerous to our this current time.

Offline Hatter23

• Fellow
  • Darwins +258/-7
  • Doesn't believe in one more god than you
« Reply #60 on: March 14, 2011, 02:06:37 PM »
If I addressed every comment directed my way, I could exceed the character size of the text box.

You can post more than once, try breaking your response to comments, per person.
An Omnipowerful God needed to sacrifice himself to himself (but only for a long weekend) in order to avert his own wrath against his own creations who he made in a manner knowing that they weren't going to live up to his standards.

And you should feel guilty for this. Give me money.

Offline Aaron123

• Fellow
  • Darwins +77/-1
« Reply #61 on: March 14, 2011, 02:07:08 PM »
If I addressed every comment directed my way, I could exceed the character size of the text box.

I have formulated that we speak differrently. I do not understand you, and you do not understand my words.

This great chasm between us, can you not see it? I do not mean to speak at, or preach to all of you. In fact, if you knew me personally, we would cherish each other and you would see my walk.

This is little more than your way of saying that you refuse to have an actual discusion with any of us here.

Freedom.

What is freedom? All the materialistic things in our lives, we are slaves to them.

Death.

People think that they are not afraid to die, and yet they have not come to that point (yes, I realize neither have I). But to think that we are content (Believing that I do no wrong to anyone, unrepentive), or happy to live our lives to the fullest. These ideologies are not fufilling and dangerous to our this current time.

And this is your way of blabbling nonsense.  It might sound poetic at first, but in actuality, you're using a lot of words to say nothing at all.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2011, 02:08:42 PM by Aaron123 »
Being a Christian, I've made my decision. That decision offers no compromise; therefore, I'm closed to anything else.

Offline wright

• Reader
  • Darwins +79/-1
  • "Sleep like a log, snore like a chainsaw."
« Reply #62 on: March 14, 2011, 02:09:19 PM »

I have formulated that we speak differrently. I do not understand you, and you do not understand my words.

This great chasm between us, can you not see it? I do not mean to speak at, or preach to all of you. In fact, if you knew me personally, we would cherish each other and you would see my walk.

I think most of us here understand you pretty well: you are a believer who wants to convert us to your particular faith. You are the one failing (so far) to understand that here, in this particular forum, we are not interested. Nor will you be permitted to do it indefinitely.

What we are interested in is honest debate and discussion. While no atheist regulars here (as far as I know) have been swayed by the arguments of theist posters, we still welcome reasoned, even spirited attempts.

Be advised: many if not most atheists here (including me) used to be believers. Some were even pastors. We have heard a lot of preaching and apologetics and are not impressed by either.
Live a good life... If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. I am not afraid.
--Marcus Aurelius

Offline SOI

• Student
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #63 on: March 14, 2011, 02:09:45 PM »
I will have a discussion with any of you.

But remember, a trained repsonse like, "God is non-existent,"  is quite un-intelligent from my perspective.

Offline SOI

• Student
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #64 on: March 14, 2011, 02:12:44 PM »

I think most of us here understand you pretty well: you are a believer who wants to convert us to your particular faith. You are the one failing (so far) to understand that here, in this particular forum, we are not interested. Nor will you be permitted to do it indefinitely.

What we are interested in is honest debate and discussion. While no atheist regulars here (as far as I know) have been swayed by the arguments of theist posters, we still welcome reasoned, even spirited attempts.

Be advised: many if not most atheists here (including me) used to be believers. Some were even pastors. We have heard a lot of preaching and apologetics and are not impressed by either.

I'm unsure that you do understand me, wright. Is it fair to say that a honest/fair debate could take place?

Offline frofrodajimmyboy

• Graduate
  • Darwins +6/-2
  • What he said >
« Reply #65 on: March 14, 2011, 02:16:04 PM »

Just a bit of an observation...  Is it just me, or does everyone who comes here to preach have an extremely strange way of communicating.  Things like "Can you not see it", "We would cherish each other and you would see my walk", etc.  I can't even begin to take this guy seriously. 

Offline Asmoday

• Reader
  • Darwins +14/-0
« Reply #66 on: March 14, 2011, 02:17:54 PM »
So I take it, you are following the direct command of your savior Jesus Christ and you have given away all your possessions and you do not have a job or any savings at all.

People think that they are not afraid to die, and yet they have not come to that point (yes, I realize neither have I).
Funny thing that you know what other people think...

Actually a lot of people have come close to the point of dying yet they are not afraid. I was once close to dying but back then I was not scared of it. It's an inevitable part of life. I don't want to die and the thought of dying does make me feel uncomfortable but I'm not afraid of death.

But to think that we are content (Believing that I do no wrong to anyone, unrepentive), or happy to live our lives to the fullest. These ideologies are not fufilling and dangerous to our this current time.
And you think, the ideology that everything gets better after you die is better?
Absilio Mundus!

I can do no wrong. For I do not know what it is.

Offline SOI

• Student
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #67 on: March 14, 2011, 02:26:24 PM »
So I take it, you are following the direct command of your savior Jesus Christ and you have given away all your possessions and you do not have a job or any savings at all.

I have not given all of it away. Let's assume that I follow the commandment of honesty and I told you that I don't cherish any of it?

Funny thing that you know what other people think...
Actually a lot of people have come close to the point of dying yet they are not afraid. I was once close to dying but back then I was not scared of it. It's an inevitable part of life. I don't want to die and the thought of dying does make me feel uncomfortable but I'm not afraid of death.

But I was right, you admitted yourself, your uncomfortable dying. For a forum that prides itself on logic, is there an alternative here to dying?

And you think, the ideology that everything gets better after you die is better?
[/quote]

This one is not hard at all.  YES.

Offline Hatter23

• Fellow
  • Darwins +258/-7
« Reply #68 on: March 14, 2011, 02:26:47 PM »

Just a bit of an observation...  Is it just me, or does everyone who comes here to preach have an extremely strange way of communicating.  Things like "Can you not see it", "We would cherish each other and you would see my walk", etc.  I can't even begin to take this guy seriously.

Not always, but a lot do. It might be a bit of prejudice speaking here, but I think that it requires a level of being deep into the delusion of theism to try and "correct" atheists, on atheist turf, for not sharing their delusion. The mentally "off" are more likely to be deeply religious, and excessive religosity is considered a sign of mental problems by psychiatrists.

I"m not saying that everyone religious is insane(other than they are delusional) but deeply nutty people will, more often than not, be intensely religious. Thus the behavior we see here, as opposed to the usual "Sunday Christian" that are the bulk of believers.

« Last Edit: March 14, 2011, 02:32:18 PM by Hatter23 »
An Omnipowerful God needed to sacrifice himself to himself (but only for a long weekend) in order to avert his own wrath against his own creations who he made in a manner knowing that they weren't going to live up to his standards.

Offline gonegolfing

• Reader
  • Darwins +23/-2
  • God ?...Don't even get me started !
« Reply #69 on: March 14, 2011, 02:28:20 PM »

But remember, a trained repsonse like, "God is non-existent,"  is quite un-intelligent from my perspective.

Dude, seriously, if you want to stay, you'll have to change your approach  ;) The Mods here are very patient, but that will only last so long. For sure you will get asked questions here that are going to stop you dead in your tracks and make you think, which is a normal thing and something we've all faced in life's journey and are thankful for.

So chillax, have a good time here, and try to formulate some good solid answers to our questions and responses, without preaching or belittling others(hinting at a lack of intelligence).

;D
"I believe that there is no God. I'm beyond atheism"....Penn Jillette.

Offline gonegolfing

• Reader
  • Darwins +23/-2
  • God ?...Don't even get me started !
« Reply #70 on: March 14, 2011, 02:33:16 PM »

SOI:

But I was right, you admitted yourself, your uncomfortable dying. For a forum that prides itself on logic, is there an alternative here to dying?

You see, this is what I mean. You've got to do better mate. This is a sure sign of someone who is not giving us their best  ;)

"I believe that there is no God. I'm beyond atheism"....Penn Jillette.

Offline frofrodajimmyboy

• Graduate
  • Darwins +6/-2
  • What he said >
« Reply #71 on: March 14, 2011, 02:37:19 PM »

Not always, but a lot do. It might be a bit of prejudice speaking here, but I think that it requires a level of being deep into the delusion of theism to try and "correct" atheists, on atheist turf, for not sharing their delusion. The mentally "off" are more likely to be deeply religious, and excessive religosity is considered a sign of mental problems by psychiatrists.

I"m not saying that everyone religious is insane(other than they are delusional) but deeply nutty people will, more often than not, be intensely religious. Thus the behavior we see here, as opposed to the usual "Sunday Christian" that are the bulk of believers.

I mean, I get that they're trying to come off as deep, metaphorical, whatever, but I don't see how anyone could think that they'll get their point across that way in a fact-based discussion. 

Offline SOI

• Student
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #72 on: March 14, 2011, 02:42:17 PM »
Ok here it is, you don't want to validate the Bible (for some valid reasons), but yet it speaks of you.

It speaks of future times from ancient days, and I know you find this ridiculous.

You want signs, (and you will get them) but yet this will still not be enough to turn your hearts.

Do you want to have a discussion on the merits of atheism? On the elevation of your discovery of no God? On your appetite (this is not literal)?

Offline wright

• Reader
  • Darwins +79/-1
« Reply #73 on: March 14, 2011, 02:44:31 PM »

Death.

I'll readily admit that I'm afraid to die; it's something I intend to put off as long as possible  ;D. Contentment, living life to its fullest are relative concepts and it's true (for instance) that there are tyrants and others who achieve them by oppressing and murdering their fellow human beings.

But you're painting with a pretty broad brush. My idea of contentment is to have fulfilling, rewarding work, to love and know that I'm loved back, to see my poetry published, to sit on my back step in the sun, stroking a cat while smelling the mint and jasmine of my garden. I can do and enjoy all these things without endangering anyone else.

If you regard the bolded as "a trained response", what are we to make of your preaching?

A bit of advice: use the Spell Check function of the response window. All we have to judge each other by here are our words. Easily corrected misspellings don't make a good impression.

I'm unsure that you do understand me, wright. Is it fair to say that a honest/fair debate could take place?

I've been a member of this forum for over a year. I've seen many debates between atheists and theists, between just atheists, and have participated in a few. Yes, it's quite possible to have an honest debate here.

Again, be advised: it can get heated at times. From my own observations, believers like yourself can find it very stressful. You are a definite minority here. Keep calm, reply clearly to one person at a time, and refrain as much as possible from preaching.
Live a good life... If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. I am not afraid.
--Marcus Aurelius

Offline Asmoday

• Reader
  • Darwins +14/-0
« Reply #74 on: March 14, 2011, 02:46:00 PM »
I have not given all of it away. Let's assume that I follow the commandment of honesty and I told you that I don't cherish any of it?
You've not given all away?

Why would you not follow the command of your god to the letter if you believe in him completely?

No, I think you misunderstand me. I know that I will die and death does not scare me. The process of dying (heart attack, being squashed by a bus etc.) is what I find uncomfortable.

By logic I know that knives are sharp. That does not mean feeling uncomfortable by the thought of cutting myself with one is illogical.

This one is not hard at all.  YES.
I'm sure all those suicide bombers are very very happy by the thought that everything gets better after they are dead.
Absilio Mundus!

I can do no wrong. For I do not know what it is.

Offline SOI

• Student
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #75 on: March 14, 2011, 02:50:28 PM »

My idea of contentment is to have fulfilling, rewarding work, to love and know that I'm loved back, to see my poetry published, to sit on my back step in the sun, stroking a cat while smelling the mint and jasmine of my garden. I can do and enjoy all these things without endangering anyone else.

I'll be happy to use the spell check........

See above................You want that to end one day?

Offline pianodwarf

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +208/-6
  • Je bois ton lait frappĂ©
« Reply #76 on: March 14, 2011, 02:51:12 PM »
Ok here it is, you don't want to validate the Bible (for some valid reasons)

What we want to validate is the truth, regardless of whether we like it or where we find it.  We don't find it in the bible.  What we find in the bible is a lot of reason to think that it's a work of fiction.

but yet it speaks of you.

It does?  I will personally give you one million dollars for each WWGHA member who is named in scripture.  (If you don't want the money for yourself, donate it to a Japan relief effort or some other worthwhile cause.)  I'm talking about specifically by name, either by screen name or by actual name, not some crap like "the lost children of Israel" or something.

It speaks of future times from ancient days, and I know you find this ridiculous.

Right, because it is.  Prophecy, both biblical and otherwise, is always so vague that it can be interpreted in just about any way.  Watch the movie "Koyaanisqatsi" some time.  It gives a bunch of prophecies from Hopi mythology that appear to be coming true, at least from the film's perspective.  (That aside, though, it's a really good film, so I recommend it for that reason as well.)

You want signs, (and you will get them)

We hear this a lot.  We've never been impressed.

but yet this will still not be enough to turn your hearts.

It's not our hearts we're talking about, here, it's our minds.  We're not going to accept something because it feels good or seems right to us or anything like that.  We want evidence, objective evidence that can be reviewed and analyzed by others.

Do you want to have a discussion on the merits of atheism?

Sure, we do that all the time here.

On the elevation of your discovery of no God?

That's not quite an accurate assessment of our position.  We haven't "discovered no god" any more than we've "discovered no leprechauns".  Leprechauns may exist, but unless and until someone gives us some evidence we can look it, we will consider the notion to be unworthy of consideration.  Ditto Yahweh.

On your appetite (this is not literal)?

Literal or not, it's not pertinent.
[On how kangaroos could have gotten back to Australia after the flood]:  Don't kangaroos skip along the surface of the water? --Kenn

Offline SOI

• Student
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #77 on: March 14, 2011, 02:52:59 PM »
How do you mini-quote?

Offline Hatter23

• Fellow
  • Darwins +258/-7
« Reply #78 on: March 14, 2011, 02:59:50 PM »

My idea of contentment is to have fulfilling, rewarding work, to love and know that I'm loved back, to see my poetry published, to sit on my back step in the sun, stroking a cat while smelling the mint and jasmine of my garden. I can do and enjoy all these things without endangering anyone else.

The universe is indifferent to our wants. Sure I don't want to die, that is not relevant to the fact one day I will.
Do you want North Korea to be a military dictatorship? No? Does that change the nature of the North Korean government?

Offline Jim

• Reader
  • Darwins +11/-1
  • Born Again Atheist
« Reply #79 on: March 14, 2011, 03:03:55 PM »
Ok here it is, you don't want to validate the Bible (for some valid reasons), but yet it speaks of you.

You want signs, (and you will get them) but yet this will still not be enough to turn your hearts.

Do you want to have a discussion on the merits of atheism? On the elevation of your discovery of no God? On your appetite (this is not literal)?

Lots of holy books speak of those who don't believe as the holy book informs them to.  Lots of religions have admonishments to believe what they tell you to believe.  Lots of religious idiots take on a sanctimonious voice and claim to take the "higher ground" to "show the way" to those who "don't understand," just as you are now.

Here's a hint: lots of us here know scripture very well, some have studied extensively.  Many of us here have done a lot more insightful thought about the subject than you can imagine.  None of us need signs, either, so you can rack that one up as incorrect, as well.

The newcomer who appears on the board who deludes himself thinking he knows how everyone feels and what they think, all with the intention of telling them that they're wrong, is going to get stomped, SOI.

Enjoy your reaming.
Survey results coming soon!

Offline Dante

• Reader
  • Darwins +72/-9
  • Hedonist Extraordinaire
« Reply #80 on: March 14, 2011, 03:04:39 PM »
How do you mini-quote?

Press the quote tab at the top right of the post you want to quote. Copy and paste the beginning and end {quote} tabs at the beginnings and ends of the sentences you want to quote.
Actually it doesn't. One could conceivably be all-powerful but not exceptionally intelligent.

Offline SOI

• Student
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #81 on: March 14, 2011, 03:08:37 PM »

It does?  I will personally give you one million dollars for each WWGHA member who is named in scripture.  (If you don't want the money for yourself, donate it to a Japan relief effort or some other worthwhile cause.)  I'm talking about specifically by name, either by screen name or by actual name, not some crap like "the lost children of Israel" or something.

Here's the first one.
"I drink your milkshake"

Offline Hatter23

• Fellow
  • Darwins +258/-7
« Reply #82 on: March 14, 2011, 03:15:54 PM »

Here's the first one.
"I drink your milkshake"

SOI sounding more and more like POE

Offline pianodwarf

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +208/-6
  • Je bois ton lait frappĂ©
« Reply #83 on: March 14, 2011, 03:17:10 PM »

Here's the first one.
"I drink your milkshake"

You amuse me, Mister Bond!

Although that expression is commonly used here, there is no user here by that screen name, and even if there were, milkshakes could not be mentioned anywhere in the bible... a milkshake is a mixture of milk and ice cream, and ice cream was not invented until the 18th Century.

Would you like to go for Double Jeopardy, where the scores can really change?
[On how kangaroos could have gotten back to Australia after the flood]:  Don't kangaroos skip along the surface of the water? --Kenn

Offline wright

• Reader
  • Darwins +79/-1
« Reply #84 on: March 14, 2011, 03:19:31 PM »

I don't look forward to it ending, as I've said. But I accept that it will. I'm nearly fifty; in the last twenty years all my grandparents and several elderly friends / acquaintances have died. Not to mention several beloved cats  :'(. Death, my death, is a reality.

But though I no longer believe in an afterlife, I have also seen that a person's legacy (their descendants, their writing, their work, even just remembering them) can transcend their death in heartening and humbling ways. So even though I fear death, and hope to live for decades still, I know that aspects of my life will continue beyond it. My forum signature sums up my feelings pretty well  ;).

You can mini-quote by using the "Insert Quote" button in the reply window.

--Marcus Aurelius

Offline wright

• Reader
  • Darwins +79/-1
« Reply #85 on: March 14, 2011, 03:22:52 PM »

You amuse me, Mister Bond!

Although that expression is commonly used here, there is no user here by that screen name, and even if there were, milkshakes could not be mentioned anywhere in the bible... a milkshake is a mixture of milk and ice cream, and ice cream was not invented until the 18th Century.

Would you like to go for Double Jeopardy, where the scores can really change?

+1 to you, sir!
--Marcus Aurelius

Offline Hatter23

• Fellow
  • Darwins +258/-7
« Reply #86 on: March 14, 2011, 03:33:48 PM »

Right, because it is.  Prophecy, both biblical and otherwise, is always so vague that it can be interpreted in just about any way.  Watch the movie "Koyaanisqatsi" some time.  It gives a bunch of prophecies from Hopi mythology that appear to be coming true, at least from the film's perspective.  (That aside, though, it's a really good film, so I recommend it for that reason as well.)

Prophesy is easy, I call it the Nostrdomus effect. Say enough portentous things in purple prose, and eventually you can be interpreted as being "right." The Bible contains 181253 words.

I can do it too:

The long of the eveningstar a storm will rise up
The people of the east will be flung hither and to
No one will know his name, but a tyrant will gather his disciples
and strike at the house of the Bear
the wail of the earth will be heard
from the four corners of the risen caliphate
only the stoutest survive
On the fifteenth turning of the moon

If I did that for 181253 words and was given a few millenia and a bunch of people scouring my text...yes it would seem to some that I had uncanny accuracy.