Author Topic: I'm Distressed & Need Answers!!  (Read 11184 times)

Offline SOI

• Student
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • WWGHA Member
I'm Distressed & Need Answers!!
« on: March 13, 2011, 11:40:06 PM »
Why didn't God ever reveal himself?

Why will God not take revenge upon my enemies?

What are my rewards in a world full of injustice, hatred for each other, where every person that has ever existed DIED!!

What 's the big deal with this man called Jesus, who claimed to be the Son of the Living God? Promising eternal life to those who hear him???

Offline Astreja

• Fellow
  • Darwins +256/-3
  • Agnostic goddess with Clue-by-Four™
    • The Springy Goddess
Re: I'm Distressed & Need Answers!!
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2011, 11:50:25 PM »
Possibly because "God" is nonexistent.

Also possibly because "God" is nonexistent.  I advise seeking justice through conventional human channels.

What are my rewards in a world full of injustice, hatred for each other, where every person that has ever existed DIED!!
Rewards?  Life itself.

And in My opinion, the world is not "full of" injustice, hatred and death; those are just a few of the things that go on here.  If you want the good, seek and practice the good.

What 's the big deal with this man called Jesus, who claimed to be the Son of the Living God? Promising eternal life to those who hear him???
Probably no more than a myth.  A promise of eternal life is a good way to attract followers, but it remains to be seen if eternal life is even possible.
Reality Checkroom — Not Responsible for Lost Articles

Offline Asmoday

• Reader
  • Darwins +14/-0
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2011, 11:58:10 PM »
Because he does not exist. Just like any other god ever invented by humans.

See answer above.

What a nasty world you live in.

What 's the big deal with this man called Jesus, who claimed to be the Son of the Living God?
Jesus... Oh, you mean that avatar of your God according to your storybook the bible. That person for whose existence there is not a single shred of evidence.

Promising eternal life to those who hear him???
You know you are being conned if you ask somebody why you should do what they want you to do and their answer is that they promise you more of life once you are dead.
Absilio Mundus!

I can do no wrong. For I do not know what it is.

Offline Azdgari

• Laureate
  • Darwins +267/-31
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2011, 12:02:11 AM »

Surely you don't need to reveal yourself to yourself, sir/madame.  "God" is self-generated.  If your inner god isn't responding to you, then perhaps you should do some inner searching.

Maybe you're just lazy.  Usually, a theist's inner self-god will take revenge upon his or her enemies by affecting the behaviour of the theist in question.  That only works if the theist is willing to get up off of his or her butt to do so.

Your reward is whatever you value that actually ends up happening.

Which Jesus?
The highest moral human authority is copied by our Gandhi neurons through observation.

Online wright

• Reader
  • Darwins +74/-1
  • "Sleep like a log, snore like a chainsaw."
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2011, 12:42:11 AM »
Welcome, SOI.

If you are sincerely struggling with these questions, you have my sympathies. When I first lost my faith (after nearly 15 years as identifying myself as a Christian), I also felt lost, vulnerable and foolish. For those of us who arrive at atheism after years if not decades as believers in god/s, realizing we no longer have the comfort of religious faith is unnerving.

But it can also be liberating. Though I'd been wrong about god existing, I realized I was also wrong about hell and eternal punishment. Those terrifying, grotesque fairy tales in the Bible became just Bronze-Age tribal mythology, not the literal / metaphorical history of the universe. I was responsible for my own success and failure, not the pawn of a supernatural being.

In short, it is quite possible to live a happy and fulfilling life as an atheist. There are many regulars here who have done so for decades. There are also a few sincere and thoughtful theists.

There are parents, spouses, singles, those who work at home and those who post from their offices. All in all, folks with a wide range of experiences and circumstances, glad to debate, discuss and advise. Feel free to make use of the resources here.

Live a good life... If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. I am not afraid.
--Marcus Aurelius

Offline Aaron123

• Fellow
  • Darwins +77/-1
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2011, 01:11:49 AM »

Exactly why are you asking these questions?  Without knowing where you're coming from, it's hard to figure out what the attitude behind them are.  Are you losing your faith and struggling with these questions?  Or are you just trying to see what type of answers we'll give?
Being a Christian, I've made my decision. That decision offers no compromise; therefore, I'm closed to anything else.

Offline One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +274/-34
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2011, 03:40:54 AM »
My preacher[1]&troll[2] senses are tingling but I've been wrong before. So I'll answer your questions

Assuming you mean the god of the Bible with multiple personalities:
In the stories, he reveals himself all the time in extremely visible ways. However, since that's clearly not happening, people claim "mysterious ways". The only real answer, taking in account the promises made in the Bible that describe said deity, is that said deity does not exist

See above

Everything dies. To be alive means you WILL die eventually

If he existed, probably just a crackpot. We have them now too, you know
 1. I'm sure about this one, seeing the other posts made by SOI
 2. Not so sure about this one
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

A.K.A.: Blaziken_rjcf/Lucifer/All In One.

Offline plethora

• Fellow
  • Darwins +60/-1
  • Metalhead, Family Man, IT Admin & Anti-Theist \m/
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2011, 06:43:59 AM »

Same reason Santa Claus never revealed himself to you. He doesn't exist.

He doesn't exist. Note, we do have a legal justice system. Use that instead.

You need to understand that this universe does not exist for any particular purpose. It is purposeless. So there's nothing in it for you or any of us. There is no reward or punishment. This is not necessarily a bad thing though.

We get to assign value to our lives ourselves. If you had never been alive it wouldn't make a difference.... but you are alive. Appreciate the fact that you are alive and have a chance to experience happiness, joy, love, laughter as well as anger, sadness and pain. You have the priveledge of living the complete conscious experience that is your life.

Yes, there is injustice and hatred in the world, there is also the exact opposite. There is both good and evil in the world. Try to do good and experience good as much as you can.

Jesus, as portrayed in the bible, is a mythical character. His life is nothing but legend.

Anybody who is normal doesn't want to die. It's in our instincts to survive. The realization that we are mortal is scary for some. A hope... a promise of eternal life is very tempting. So people tend to fall for it.
The truth doesn't give a shit about our feelings.

Offline Vivisectus

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2011, 07:52:51 AM »
We human beings are marvelous creatures. We invent things like love, justice, beauty and a whole range of other concepts even though we are fragile little bags of water held up by brittle calcium. With oblivion before and behind us, we create, and hope, and dream, and love. To be a decent human being is a heroic task, and a noble one.

When I think about it, this gives me all the meaning and fulfillment I need. I believe in people. While we often get things wrong and are capable of enormous cruelty, our cumulative achievements slowly enable us to remove more and more suffering from our fellow human beings.

If you think this is not happening, then consider your family history. I have looked at mine - a hundred and fifty years ago my ancestors were dirt-farmers in Holland. They were poor folk, poorly nourished and forced to work under conditions we would not find bearable today. They bore child after child, and buried about 1 out of every 3 children. In some families it was especially bad - child after child died before it reached the age of 4. Sometimes they did not even bother to change the name between children, and buried 3 children in a row, all with the same name. I cannot even imagine such hardship. We have now dealt with that - thanks to modern scientific medicine, childhood diseases are no longer a continual source of grief everywhere and we have hopes that one day, it will be like this all over the world.

We will keep improving things if we keep our eye on the price, and do not expect that we already know everything that is worth knowing. It was not gods will that those children died. They died as a result of our ignorance. It is our duty to make sure that we learn, so that we may prevent suffering because of ignorance.
It is a foine loine between a poirate and a farrrmer. Oi stand astroid that foine loine.

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +645/-27
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2011, 08:22:24 AM »

Hi SOI

As a board moderator let me welcome you to the forum.

If this OP is a set up for you to launch into a sermon, think again.  Please read the Rules.  I also recommend you read the Posting Guide.   Any claims you make are expected to be verifiable and backed up with evidence.  And by evidence I do not mean quotes from the bible.  Please let's get off on the right foot and do not make this a problem.  Thanks and happy posting

your affectionate uncle
Screwtape
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Offline Graybeard

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +503/-17
  • Is this going somewhere?
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2011, 08:40:56 AM »
Let me give you some answers
But He does!!!eleventy!!! You just have to look around you... Pine Cones, eh? How do they work? The banana - proof of God!

You have chosen the wrong Enemies and one of them is God... nothing good will come of this.

In return for being a godbotherer all your days and pissing people off, you get this deal:- You die. Then there is a bit where you come back to life and sit with Jesus forever and ever. (Terms and conditions apply, your experience may vary. Everlasting life is not confirmed as no one has come back from the dead, it is a biblical offence to try to seek the dead to ask them about it.)

I do that too! Believe in me and you will not only have eternal life but this wonderful alarm-clock and coffee maker! But that is not all! I'm going send you a critical thinking book!

I hope this helps
RELIGION, n. A daughter of Hope and Fear, explaining to Ignorance the nature of the Unknowable. Ambrose Bierce

Offline Asmoday

• Reader
  • Darwins +14/-0
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2011, 08:55:44 AM »
Believe in me and you will not only have eternal life but this wonderful alarm-clock and coffee maker! But that is not all! I'm going send you a critical thinking book!
That sounds great!

This morning I've already sacrificed a pickled cucumber in your name. Afterward I spotted your face on a cornflake!
Coincidence? I think not.
Absilio Mundus!

I can do no wrong. For I do not know what it is.

Offline SOI

• Student
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2011, 09:39:58 AM »

Hi SOI

As a board moderator let me welcome you to the forum.

If this OP is a set up for you to launch into a sermon, think again.  Please read the Rules.  I also recommend you read the Posting Guide.   Any claims you make are expected to be verifiable and backed up with evidence.  And by evidence I do not mean quotes from the bible.  Please let's get off on the right foot and do not make this a problem.  Thanks and happy posting

your affectionate uncle
Screwtape

Okay proof.

1. You say, prove your God and do not use Bible quotes, even though they profess your "nature."

2. I read in a post someone telling me to go through "human channels" (I'm assuming they mean the judicial system)  when claimed that I live in a world FULL of injustice. For anyone to say otherwise, lies.

3. Verifiable truth? What if centuries ago, words were spoken that said people would speak in harmful ways toward the Annointed One? This has not come to pass, has it? But these prophecies don't matter to you because you will go from bad to worse and and refuse to acknowledge the One God.

Offline Aaron123

• Fellow
  • Darwins +77/-1
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2011, 09:47:41 AM »
Okay proof.

1. You say, prove your God and do not use Bible quotes, even though they profess your "nature."

I'm unclear what you're trying to say here.

3. Verifiable truth? What if centuries ago, words were spoken that said people would speak in harmful ways toward the Annointed One? This has not come to pass, has it? But these prophecies don't matter to you because you will go from bad to worse and and refuse to acknowledge the One God.

What are you trying to say here?  At best, it sounds like some badly worded preaching.
Being a Christian, I've made my decision. That decision offers no compromise; therefore, I'm closed to anything else.

Offline Vivisectus

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2011, 09:47:55 AM »

Please support your claim. I have no idea what you are trying to say - can you clarify?

2. I read in a post someone telling me to go through "human channels" (I'm assuming they mean the judicial system)  when claimed that I live in a world FULL of injustice. For anyone to say otherwise, lies.

Can you explain what you mean by that? There is injustice in the world, yes. We, as human beings, try to deal with that by advocating justice. Sometimes we are successful, sometimes we are not.

Soooo... If I write a book that says "Some Christians will not like this" and then, years later when it is published, this indeed happens it counts as prophecy? And I am actually being more specific than the one you seem to invoke just here...
It is a foine loine between a poirate and a farrrmer. Oi stand astroid that foine loine.

Offline plethora

• Fellow
  • Darwins +60/-1
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2011, 09:50:26 AM »
Okay proof.

Yay! Finally someone with proof!

Uh ... who said all that? ...

You are claiming that a god exists... you need to prove that it does. The bible as a source does not live up to the scientific standard of proof.

Uh ... I said there is injustice in the world. I also said there were instances of justice. Both exist. There's good and evil. You calling me a liar?

Oh-kay ... so the proof you promised us at the beginning of your post? I suppose that was a lie.

Keep it coming ... you're making your religion and your fellow theists look so good. You're doing your lord so many favors by spewing nonsensical babble to us in this fashion.

Offline Jim

• Reader
  • Darwins +11/-1
  • Born Again Atheist
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2011, 09:53:42 AM »
God must be desperate, using folks like SOI who pronounce these confusing, weak-ass arguments to convey his garbled message.  Pitifully lame.
Survey results coming soon!

Offline Alzael

• Fellow
  • Darwins +112/-23
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2011, 10:19:43 AM »
God must be desperate, using folks like SOI who pronounce these confusing, weak-ass arguments to convey his garbled message.  Pitifully lame.

He also sent people like NTS, AlexBP, and University Pastor. Think what that means.
"I drank what?!"- Socrates

"Dying for something when you know you'll be resurrected is not a sacrifice.It's a parlour trick."- an aquaintance

Philip of Macedon: (via messenger) If we enter Sparta, we will raze all your buildings and ravage all your women.
Spartan Reply: If.

Offline SOI

• Student
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2011, 10:45:37 AM »

By "nature" I mean the hatred being directed here.

Do you "believe" that you can come to the truth of moralities on your own? Many will say yes, immediately, without pondering the question.

What laws do you proclaim/live by? Laws of morality which have governed us for centuries, one which we are disposing of more and more each moment.

But no One (nobody) warned us?? Bad to worse, bad to worse.

Offline Alzael

• Fellow
  • Darwins +112/-23
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2011, 10:50:37 AM »

Do you "believe" that you can come to the truth of moralities on your own? Many will say yes, immediately, without pondering the question.

What laws do you proclaim/live by? Laws of morality which have governed us for centuries, one which we are disposing of more and more each moment.

No ones directing any hatred here. There's some mockery and probably a lot of pity, but no hatred.

You do realize that religion can't tell you the "truth of moralities", right? Religion has no evidence and no proof to back it up. Hence it can never actually be shown to be true. At best it can only be considered someones opinion. Unless, of course, you have this proof to offer us?

"Dying for something when you know you'll be resurrected is not a sacrifice.It's a parlour trick."- an aquaintance

Philip of Macedon: (via messenger) If we enter Sparta, we will raze all your buildings and ravage all your women.

Offline jedweber

• Fellow
  • Darwins +19/-0
  • Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2011, 11:02:30 AM »

Deferring justice to a hoped-for afterlife does nothing to promote justice in the real world. If anything, it allows injustice to flourish. The belief that God will punish all wrongdoers after they die may be comforting, but could also lead to being passive or complacent about stopping them here and now.   

If you are wrong about the existence or nature of God, then waiting for divine justice is nothing but an empty delusion. But even if God does exist, what he may or may not do is completely beyond our control. All we can do is seek justice to the best of our ability in this world.

Offline pianodwarf

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +206/-5
  • Je bois ton lait frappé
« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2011, 11:07:43 AM »

We're not hating on you.  We're simply being critical of your beliefs, as we've done with many other theists who have come here before.  Admittedly, we have a tendency to sneer at such beliefs, but it's kind of hard to keep the impulse under control when those beliefs are so "sneerable".  It's hard to have respect for people who believe in talking snakes and dead people coming back to life.

And many others will say yes, immediately, after having pondered the question at length, as many of us here have.  For my own part, I majored in philosophy.  My main interest was the ontological problem, but I also ended up studying ethics quite extensively (necessary for any philosophy major).  I arrived at an objective and proper system of ethics toward the end of my studies.  (By the way, it doesn't involve killing people who work on Sundays.)

This is the debating technique known as "hypophora", or more commonly, "Monopolizing the Question".  It won't work here.

The laws that I "proclaim/live by" are a synthesis of Kant's "ends/means" distinction and a Schopenhauerian recognition of the interconnectedness of all things and people.  This system rejects as unethical almost every single law and principle laid down by Yahweh (and, to a lesser extent, those laid down by Jesus).  I don't think that's a coincidence, either.
[On how kangaroos could have gotten back to Australia after the flood]:  Don't kangaroos skip along the surface of the water? --Kenn

Offline plethora

• Fellow
  • Darwins +60/-1
« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2011, 11:10:37 AM »

What hatred? I don't hate you. Nobody said they hate you. We don't hate anyone. You're the only one mentioning hatred here.

When you say "truth of moralities" I think you mean objective morality. There is no such thing. Morality is subjective. We each have our own set of moral values. We do not need a god to exist to have morality.

I obey the laws of the country I live in. They are in place to make sure our society functions. These laws are not absolute and are continually improved. For example, slavery is no longer legal when it used to be.

You agree that slavery is bad right? Even though the bible supports it.

Who warned us of what exactly? A threat? Be specific instead of rambling incoherently.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2011, 11:15:06 AM by plethora »

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +645/-27
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2011, 11:17:23 AM »

Hi SOI

Okay proof.

I did not say "proof".  I said "evidence".

Using the bible to show the bible is true is going to be a hard sell to anyone here and is generally considered to be preaching.  Using outside sources to show the bible is true is what we are looking for.

This has not come to pass, has it? But these prophecies don't matter to you because you will go from bad to worse and and refuse to acknowledge the One God.

This is what I mean about starting off on the right foot.  You are not doing it.  You are getting all judgmental, self-righteous and casting stones when I just asked you to provide a little evidence.  SOI, please take a breath and then post as if you were having a conversation at the grocery story with a stranger.  You would be civil and polite in that situation, right?   

Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Offline Aaron123

• Fellow
  • Darwins +77/-1
« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2011, 11:18:59 AM »

What hatred?  Sounds like you're projecting.

What do you mean by "truth of moralities"?

What laws do you proclaim/live by?  Laws of morality which have governed us for centuries, one which we are disposing of more and more each moment.

Again; what does this mean?

And this makes even less sense than the rest of your argument.

If you're trying to argue for god, you're doing a terrible job of it.  Try making sense next time.

Offline SOI

• Student
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2011, 11:29:02 AM »

Hi SOI

Okay proof.

I did not say "proof".  I said "evidence".

Using the bible to show the bible is true is going to be a hard sell to anyone here and is generally considered to be preaching.  Using outside sources to show the bible is true is what we are looking for.

This has not come to pass, has it? But these prophecies don't matter to you because you will go from bad to worse and and refuse to acknowledge the One God.

This is what I mean about starting off on the right foot.  You are not doing it.  You are getting all judgmental, self-righteous and casting stones when I just asked you to provide a little evidence.  SOI, please take a breath and then post as if you were having a conversation at the grocery story with a stranger.  You would be civil and polite in that situation, right?   

You will remove me from these message boards, and why?

For the word of God is living and active and sharper than any two-edged sword, and piercing as far as the division of soul and spirit, of both joints and marrow, and able to judge the thoughts and intentions of the heart.

I speak to all who hear this way, grocery store or not.

The Kingdom of God has come near you and you have rejected it! Jerusalem, you who stone her prophets!

Offline blue

• Graduate
  • Darwins +8/-0
  • Not cool, Zeus.
« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2011, 11:33:38 AM »
So you don't have evidence then? Just "Christianese" catch phrases?
There’s no difference between a bunch of theologians sitting around debating scripture than a bunch of D&D nerds sitting around debating which version of the Player’s Handbook to use.

Offline Alzael

• Fellow
  • Darwins +112/-23
« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2011, 11:34:03 AM »
You will remove me from these message boards, and why?

For the word of God is living and active and sharper than any two-edged sword, and piercing as far as the division of soul and spirit, of both joints and marrow, and able to judge the thoughts and intentions of the heart.

I speak to all who hear this way, grocery store or not.

The Kingdom of God has come near you and you have rejected it! Jerusalem, you who stone her prophets!

So you act like this in public as well?

Offline voodoo child

• Reader
  • Darwins +10/-0
« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2011, 11:35:39 AM »
Every time there's a natural disaster the tinfoil hat group gathers.  that's the sign that Jesus is showing up, its really sad.  I see the signs, I see the signs! I think the only sign christians see in their mind, Is Wishful thinking. the biggest byproduct of reading the bible, sore knees and a weird case of dementia. 

Back to your regularly scheduled programming, good luck SOI, you have some big minds to tackle here.         

The classical man is just a bundle of routine, ideas and tradition. If you follow the classical pattern, you are understanding the routine, the tradition, the shadow, you are not understanding yourself. Truth has no path. Truth is living and therefore changing. Bruce lee