Author Topic: good thinkin [#47]  (Read 640 times)

Offline DL

good thinkin [#47]
« on: July 24, 2008, 05:00:40 PM »
hello. i just wathed your video, "10 questions every educated christian must answer". i was born and raised christian, however i am not considerd educated by your standards, i am currently a millwright apprentice, and formerly a machine tool builder and integrator by trade. my beliefs have been wondering for a while now as i have begun to question certain things about catholic faith and christianity, and mostly because of a brief meeting with a woman that would be considerd a "medium"(using critical thinking, analizing the situation, the conversation and all elements of our breif meeting, i am left absolutly believing that she is legitimate. you may disagree, however that would only be a matter of opinion).
i believe there may be a "god like figure" in existance, not as depicted by any organized religion, but there may be.
good work on the video.

Offline Ashe

• Reader
  • Darwins +10/-1
Re: good thinkin [#47]
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2008, 05:11:39 PM »
my beliefs have been wondering for a while now as i have begun to question certain things about catholic faith and christianity, and mostly because of a brief meeting with a woman that would be considerd a "medium"(using critical thinking, analizing the situation, the conversation and all elements of our breif meeting, i am left absolutly believing that she is legitimate. you may disagree, however that would only be a matter of opinion).

I suggest you look up James Randi. I can almost guarantee that the woman wasn't as good at her skill as you think she was.
2 miles!
"All men(humans )were demon possed and were planning to attack God. Just like if you talk back to your parents." - Failbag quote

Offline Dkit

• Reader
  • Darwins +3/-0
  • Nemesis Ridiculii
Re: good thinkin [#47]
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2008, 05:46:17 PM »
Here is the definition of "cold-reading".  I wasn't there so I can't make the determination, but you might find it interesting.

http://www.skepdic.com/coldread.html

Cold reading refers to a set of techniques used by professional manipulators to get a subject to behave in a certain way or to think that the cold reader has some sort of special ability that allows him to "mysteriously" know things about the subject. Cold reading goes beyond the usual tools of manipulation: suggestion and flattery.
"The Bible is a Banquet table not a snack tray!" - Anonymous Facebook User